Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remy Marathe posted:

Thanks!

Not necessarily, so thanks for the recommendation. Those I've looked at so far here are indeed way more expensive than I expected, like $1.30+/oz versus $0.33 for what we usually buy.

If you end up trying Craft delivery I have a discount/referral code so you get 15% off and I get some free coffee. Just enter it during checkout. The only caveat is that in order to get the wholesale price you need to buy 4x12oz bags at a time.

jys-u5q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Time to wait after roasting will change based on bean and roast. I've never felt a need to wait 7 days. Usually 1 is pretty good, 2 or 3 tends to be a good option most of the time for me.

If you need a coffee and only have fresh beans, grind and let them sit for half an hour, then do a pourover with a good presoak for a couple minutes. Usually makes totally drinkable cups.

Yeah this specific lot of beans just behaved differently. The initial flavor was how I would put as lacking a real description. A flavor profile that I hadn’t tasted before and wasn’t particularly appealing. After more rest it matured substantially to one of the better tasting coffees I have ever had. I store mine in mason jars and don’t go out of my way to off gas as much as I can so maybe that made it take a tad longer than it could have.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

Royal Mile out of New Jersey is good and goon owned. They're about $1/oz

Royal Mile is so good. The 7th Inning Jawn may be the best coffee I’ve ever brewed at home.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Mu Zeta posted:

If you end up trying Craft delivery I have a discount/referral code so you get 15% off and I get some free coffee. Just enter it during checkout. The only caveat is that in order to get the wholesale price you need to buy 4x12oz bags at a time.

jys-u5q
Done, thanks again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remy Marathe posted:

Done, thanks again.

Thanks. Also I'm ordering their new decaf to try it out. It's probably going to taste bad but I'm having too much caffeine right now.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Best hand grinder for aero press <$100? I only make one or two cups a day and am limited on space so I think a hand grinder is best for my needs. Don’t need anything too fancy as I’m graduating from store bought pre-ground.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Virtue posted:

Best hand grinder for aero press <$100? I only make one or two cups a day and am limited on space so I think a hand grinder is best for my needs. Don’t need anything too fancy as I’m graduating from store bought pre-ground.

Javapresse is fine and fits in the aeropress. It’s my camping go to setup!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
for a thread that loves to minmax their coffee i swear this is one of the few places i read consistently good things about the javapresse. seems like everywhere else thinks it sucks? to be clear: i have never owned one. it seems like the burrs float and move around?

hoffmann's yt videos, which seem popular, ranked the cheap hand grinders a while back:

he basically had nothing positive to say about the javapresse lol though i think his price rankings might be a little off

edit: not sure about the stretchability of your budget, but i keep hearing great stuff about 1zpresso. it's notably more expensive than some of these cheap portables, though.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 29, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Henry Charles" looks like they just took two random naames and slapped them together like Ashley Madison.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

"Henry Charles" looks like they just took two random naames and slapped them together like Ashley Madison.

that's probably what happened; it's intentionally bland and unassuming because westerners are scared of more asian-sounding names

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 1zpresso hardware admittedly looks impressive. But I'm not spending $100 on a grinder that probably has zero warranty in the US. Their website is full of Engrish and that's worrying.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anyone tried the Kruve Sifter? Considering getting one to cut down the draw-down time on these African beans. They definitely generate a lot more fines than other beans.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

Anyone tried the Kruve Sifter? Considering getting one to cut down the draw-down time on these African beans. They definitely generate a lot more fines than other beans.

I have one of those from the original Kickstarter - a little too fussy for me for regular use, but it's very effective at clearing out fines and chaff from grounds.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I can't see myself using it for everything, but I do love my floral African coffees, and brewing them properly is proving a bit difficult with all these fines.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Question got swallowed up by last page, but any thoughts on something like the Breville 870 vs a solid burr grinder and separate machine (possibly a manual like a la pavoni epc-8?) Mainly making lattes.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lhet posted:

Question got swallowed up by last page, but any thoughts on something like the Breville 870 vs a solid burr grinder and separate machine (possibly a manual like a la pavoni epc-8?) Mainly making lattes.

how much work do you want to put into making coffee and learning to make good espresso? i honestly think that's the biggest difference. the breville will make a perfectly respectable cup but maybe in the long term won't grow with you as much as some of the other options.

i tend to stick to americanos at home but if you need to make more than one drink at a time you might look at getting something that offers features like steaming and espresso simultaneously

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

I'm kind of surprised more people don't talk about roasting in here. I've been quite happy with my SR540 and extension tube and extended chaff collector.

Anyone in here using something fancy like a bullet? (Jamie you don't count).

I used a air popper for about a year before getting a Behmor which I've had a few years now, but it's definitely not fancy. I've been happy with it for the price I got it for though, some warehouse on ebay was blowing out a bunch of them and I think I got it for ~100 shipped. It's definitely got lots of little niggles I don't like though, the biggest being how much ambient temperature effects the roast time. I've had it error out 3 times this summer because it gets too hot early on.

I'm moving to Europe in a few weeks though so I've got the perfect chance to get a better roaster. I really want to get a Bullet but doubt I'll be able to swing the price for a couple years, so I'm thinking about building my own roaster once I'm settled in.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

mediaphage posted:

how much work do you want to put into making coffee and learning to make good espresso? i honestly think that's the biggest difference. the breville will make a perfectly respectable cup but maybe in the long term won't grow with you as much as some of the other options.

i tend to stick to americanos at home but if you need to make more than one drink at a time you might look at getting something that offers features like steaming and espresso simultaneously

I think I'm definitely able to spend a bit of time learning? Gonna be working from home a lot so I'll have time to spend the extra few minutes crafting. I don't think it's a big requirement to make multiple drinks at a time. I'm sure there'll be many times people visit and I need to wait between drinks, but that's not really a factor I'm weighing (especially right now).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Lhet posted:

As someone who is working on using a Stradivari / Professional right now, a Europiccola will have the same ups and downs since you directly control the pressure applied and seemingly small changes in your process can cause a huge change in the output flavor. By way of example, 16g vs. 17g in the portafilter makes the amount of pressure needed and resulting extraction very different with the same beans and same grind.

If you take a lot of joy in experimenting and fiddling with the process of making espresso while also making some nice creamy milk for your latte, by all means embark on the same journey I am. I get a deeper sense of satisfaction that it is a skill I am working on improving with measurable results. If you just want a latte, go for a regular ol' espresso machine but get a good grinder instead of trying to go for an all in one. Alternately, a Moka pot and a milk frother are a fantastic low cost way of making a bootleg latte that gets you 95% of the way there. Just depends on what you're truly looking for.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

RE: distribution, I saw a video that suggested you wobble the tamper around in the portafilter (sort of a Euler’s disk motion) and then spin it a bit to get things leveled, then tamp. I’ve been getting way less channeling since I started doing this, and I can do it with my tamper instead of buying yet more espresso paraphernalia.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FireTora posted:

I used a air popper for about a year before getting a Behmor which I've had a few years now, but it's definitely not fancy. I've been happy with it for the price I got it for though, some warehouse on ebay was blowing out a bunch of them and I think I got it for ~100 shipped. It's definitely got lots of little niggles I don't like though, the biggest being how much ambient temperature effects the roast time. I've had it error out 3 times this summer because it gets too hot early on.

I'm moving to Europe in a few weeks though so I've got the perfect chance to get a better roaster. I really want to get a Bullet but doubt I'll be able to swing the price for a couple years, so I'm thinking about building my own roaster once I'm settled in.

That happens to me occasionally too. Idk if the 1-5 settings have anything to do with cooking temp. Suppose I should read the manual. ~$100 is a bit of a steal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E: nevermind, asked on HomeBarista

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 30, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Big Taint posted:

RE: distribution, I saw a video that suggested you wobble the tamper around in the portafilter (sort of a Euler’s disk motion) and then spin it a bit to get things leveled, then tamp. I’ve been getting way less channeling since I started doing this, and I can do it with my tamper instead of buying yet more espresso paraphernalia.

Interesting idea, ive been annoyed about the lack of 49 mm distribution tools

So I've been working on a technique that involves an aeropress funnel and a hand over heavy tap on a chopping board, then spinning the tamper and then tamping on that

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got my used Niche in the mail, cleaned it out completely, and zero'd it today. Only took four shots to dial it in pretty well, which is a nice change from my SJ Electronic with SSP burrs. I won't miss having to sweep the chute out multiple times a day.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Got my used Niche in the mail, cleaned it out completely, and zero'd it today. Only took four shots to dial it in pretty well, which is a nice change from my SJ Electronic with SSP burrs. I won't miss having to sweep the chute out multiple times a day.

How’s the grind quality in terms of grinding for espresso?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seems far fluffier than the SJ with SSPs and zero clumping, so I call it a win. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Javapresse is the cheap and cheerful of hand grinders.

It’s not great. It wobbles a bit. But it is absolutely good enough. Camping with an aeropress? gently caress yeah. French press for a crowd who grinds their coffee five pounds at a time at Costco, and don’t want to change the setting on your nice espresso grinder? Absolutely.

I have two or three floating around and I didn’t pay more than twenty bucks each for them. Customer service is also great, any time I’ve had a problem or something broke they have just straight up sent me a new one.

So no, it won’t win awards. But when you are at a campsite and everyone else has bullshit coffee it makes you feel like a goddamned hero.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

aldantefax posted:

As someone who is working on using a Stradivari / Professional right now, a Europiccola will have the same ups and downs since you directly control the pressure applied and seemingly small changes in your process can cause a huge change in the output flavor. By way of example, 16g vs. 17g in the portafilter makes the amount of pressure needed and resulting extraction very different with the same beans and same grind.

If you take a lot of joy in experimenting and fiddling with the process of making espresso while also making some nice creamy milk for your latte, by all means embark on the same journey I am. I get a deeper sense of satisfaction that it is a skill I am working on improving with measurable results. If you just want a latte, go for a regular ol' espresso machine but get a good grinder instead of trying to go for an all in one. Alternately, a Moka pot and a milk frother are a fantastic low cost way of making a bootleg latte that gets you 95% of the way there. Just depends on what you're truly looking for.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the thing I should prioritize even over a machine (regardless of whether I get a level one or not) is a good grinder. Is there any gold standard midrange grinder, or are there a lot of options?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ultimate Mango posted:

Javapresse is the cheap and cheerful of hand grinders.

It’s not great. It wobbles a bit. But it is absolutely good enough. Camping with an aeropress? gently caress yeah. French press for a crowd who grinds their coffee five pounds at a time at Costco, and don’t want to change the setting on your nice espresso grinder? Absolutely.

I have two or three floating around and I didn’t pay more than twenty bucks each for them. Customer service is also great, any time I’ve had a problem or something broke they have just straight up sent me a new one.

So no, it won’t win awards. But when you are at a campsite and everyone else has bullshit coffee it makes you feel like a goddamned hero.

*Harios intensely*

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Lhet posted:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the thing I should prioritize even over a machine (regardless of whether I get a level one or not) is a good grinder. Is there any gold standard midrange grinder, or are there a lot of options?

What's your budget? I'm assuming you are brewing for home use and not pulling dozens of shots a day, so if that's the assumption, the Baratza Sette 270W goes for 5 hundo. That's what I'm using in my current setup and you'll find other grinders on market today for chiefly espresso at a similar price point. Eureka is another recommended brand, but look around a bit, call and order a grinder from a local coffee shop if you can (MSRP but will support your local businesses), and set a more specific budget. There are also stuff that goes well into the low to mid thousands that are designed really more for commercial use but I don't gently caress with em. I did get a sample set of grinds from a local roaster so I have a target to grind to.

If you can find a good grinder that is consistent and produces grinds that aren't clumping in the fineness and granularity (for micro adjustments) then you should start generating a list of what's good for you.

e: read back, saw more details (originally looking at around 700 bucks for the Breville). You could do a Niche Zero / Sette 270W or similar and then get a 9Barista or a Flair and get to the same price point. The Niche Zero isn't shipping its next wave until August though, so you'd have to get one used if you need it "right now". The Sette 270 line is widely available. I still recommend to engage with a local fancy coffee shop since they'll also be able to help you dial in and set up your stuff.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 30, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

To throw my amateur hat in the ring, the manual ROK grinder does everything I would want in a grinder

Consistent, wobble free , Infinitly adjustable grinding

It is a bit of a countertop statement but it works well enough that I don't feel like I'm fighting it

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

There's more Gesha up on sweet maria's if anyone is looking:
https://www.sweetmarias.com/guatemala-acatenango-gesha-lot-3-6494.html

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

aldantefax posted:

What's your budget? I'm assuming you are brewing for home use and not pulling dozens of shots a day, so if that's the assumption, the Baratza Sette 270W goes for 5 hundo. That's what I'm using in my current setup and you'll find other grinders on market today for chiefly espresso at a similar price point. Eureka is another recommended brand, but look around a bit, call and order a grinder from a local coffee shop if you can (MSRP but will support your local businesses), and set a more specific budget. There are also stuff that goes well into the low to mid thousands that are designed really more for commercial use but I don't gently caress with em. I did get a sample set of grinds from a local roaster so I have a target to grind to.

If you can find a good grinder that is consistent and produces grinds that aren't clumping in the fineness and granularity (for micro adjustments) then you should start generating a list of what's good for you.

e: read back, saw more details (originally looking at around 700 bucks for the Breville). You could do a Niche Zero / Sette 270W or similar and then get a 9Barista or a Flair and get to the same price point. The Niche Zero isn't shipping its next wave until August though, so you'd have to get one used if you need it "right now". The Sette 270 line is widely available. I still recommend to engage with a local fancy coffee shop since they'll also be able to help you dial in and set up your stuff.

Yeah sorry, budget is probably more like $1000, but could go up to $1500 or so if there's any significant step up. I guess a Sette 270 and a (used?) La Pavoni ‎Europiccola the highest I'd go, but definitely willing to entertain other options.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

milkman dad posted:

There's more Gesha up on sweet maria's if anyone is looking:
https://www.sweetmarias.com/guatemala-acatenango-gesha-lot-3-6494.html

Ugh I just bought 6 pounds of poo poo. Gonna take me months to get through. I know I shouldn't buy that. Looks like there are more lots coming soon.

sweet Maria's site posted:

Despite being labeled "Lot 3", this is our first Acatenango Gesha of the season. We bought 4 lots in total, ranging from 20 bags to as large as 85 bags, all promising the floral, vibrant Gesha cup we've come to love. Why list Lot 3 first? Well, it's mostly to sell through one of the smaller lots first. The others will follow close on the heels after this sells out. We've been lucky enough to be the sole buyer of this coffee for several years now. They've continued to plant more coffee each year and what started as a handful of bags annually, has ballooned to more than 100 bags this time around! If the volume isn't impressive enough, we are stunned at the consistent high quality they they achieve.

If you don't know the story of the Gesha cultivar, it is an old coffee type from Ethiopia that was brought to an experimental coffee garden in Costa Rica years ago as a specimen sample. It was distributed to a few farms for testing on small plots, but not much was thought of it until one of these, Esmeralda in Panama, separated it from the other cultivars and entered it in the national competition. It was so outrageously different, with fruited and floral character like a Yirga Cheffe coffee from half a world away. Now that the word is out, other farms that received some of the seed have tried to separate their Gesha coffee as well, as is the case here. The results are always a bit different: the cultivar "expresses" itself differently in terms of cup flavors at each location, influenced by weather, soil, altitude and the like. And with this coffee from the region of Acatenango, we have a Gesha cup that expresses much of that floral intensity that's become synonymous with the "Gesha" name.

Harvest was quite productive this year again as the owner of the farm has dedicated even more of his farm to this varietal, which after putting it to the cup test we've decided is a very good thing. We're the sole buyer of this coffee and have chosen to keep certain farm specifics to ourselves. The farm sits on the steep slopes of Volcan Acatenango between 1600 - 1700 meters and reaps the benefits of rich volcanic soil. This farm has been in the same family for a couple generations now and they've built out an impressive wet milling facility onsite as well.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 31, 2020

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

That happens to me occasionally too. Idk if the 1-5 settings have anything to do with cooking temp. Suppose I should read the manual. ~$100 is a bit of a steal.

The P1-P5 buttons override the preset roast programs if you press them after starting a roast, P5 sets the heating elements to full power. When it's cooler out I usually go P5 all the way until first crack then drop it to P3 until it's over. In the heat right now though I have to watch the 'B' temp other wise it overheats at P5 like 5-6 minutes in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FireTora posted:

The P1-P5 buttons override the preset roast programs if you press them after starting a roast, P5 sets the heating elements to full power. When it's cooler out I usually go P5 all the way until first crack then drop it to P3 until it's over. In the heat right now though I have to watch the 'B' temp other wise it overheats at P5 like 5-6 minutes in.

Thanks. Mine's never spazzed that quickly, but it would typically 15-16 minutes or so. I've had that thing 4 or 5 years now, never read that part. Or forgot it. I've always left it in P5.

Roasted a pound today, in fact in 94 degree heat and added a few minutes with 'C'. Got into the cooling phase and it errored out, but then went on through.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Would gesha work at all in a drip machine or is it better suited to v60/pour over?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

nwin posted:

Would gesha work at all in a drip machine or is it better suited to v60/pour over?

Probably be a bit of a waste unless you've got an SCA approved brewer and great water

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Munkaboo posted:

Probably be a bit of a waste unless you've got an SCA approved brewer and great water

Yeah I’ve got a technivorm but just tap water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Yeah I’ve got a technivorm but just tap water

I’m sure it’s fine to try, the worst case is you lose what 60g of coffee? i definitely wouldn’t skip trying it for fear of having the wrong water