Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone know what this is? When it first popped up in my garden I thought maybe I'd accidentally got a cucumber seed in there but it's not growing like cukes, going straight up instead. And the texture of the leaves is sort of smooth and peach fuzzy.

You have there the world’s fastest growing hardwood, Paulownia tomentosa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017
Found these while hiking in the Pacific NW. Are they edible?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sambucus racemosa, I think?

Don’t eat it on my authority.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I decided I wanted to grow trees or try bonsai or something during the covid times and went around looking for subjects. Took a bunch of cuttings of various junipers and other things that looked promising, most everything is still alive so far. No idea what i'm really doing but it is very zen waking up to spray-water some plants or something.

Most promising is this little Japanese Maple (acer palmatum i guess) sapling i found growing under a large tree in my folk's yard. Potted it in a mixture of potting soil and orchid mix since it was what i had around and seems to be doing fine, new red top leaves came out a few days ago and the base has started to turn woody grey. Come on little buddy

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This has probably been asked before but I know there's a few Shazam type apps for plants, and I wanted to know if any of them were worth it. Most of them require a subscription. I'm really stupid with plants, and gullible. I'll mostly be looking around cities anyways, since most of my walking is about London.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guilty posted:

This has probably been asked before but I know there's a few Shazam type apps for plants, and I wanted to know if any of them were worth it. Most of them require a subscription. I'm really stupid with plants, and gullible. I'll mostly be looking around cities anyways, since most of my walking is about London.

I tried Plantnet which seemed fine, but then moved on to Inaturalist because its records are used for scientific purposes in Finland, and which also recognises most things. Both are free

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

iNaturalist. It's very good. The image recognition is usually excellent.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Cool! I'll try out iNaturalist then! Thanks for the recommendation

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I would recommend going with old fashioned dichotomous keys when you have the time and patience for it. Even though it's quick and easy, I get none of the satisfaction of IDing something from the photo recognition apps, and there's a lot more you'll learn in the process of narrowing down an ID based on structural characteristics. It's surprising how much more of a plant you'll "see" when doing the legwork yourself. The morphological minutiae that make many species really interesting are easy to overlook unless you spend the time staring at them and reading their descriptions, plus it's a good way to learn the signifiers of the various plant families--which once you do, you'll become human photo recognition software that can ID anything without much trouble. There are apps for just about every country or state in the US specific to its particular region, just search something like "california wildflowers" or "ohio grasses" in the app store. The paid apps are usually really good but there are typically free alternatives too.

Even if you primarily use something like iNaturalist, it's really helpful to have a wildflower app on hand for the times the photo recognition is wrong but you think it might be on the right track.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

treat posted:

I would recommend going with old fashioned dichotomous keys when you have the time and patience for it. Even though it's quick and easy, I get none of the satisfaction of IDing something from the photo recognition apps, and there's a lot more you'll learn in the process of narrowing down an ID based on structural characteristics. It's surprising how much more of a plant you'll "see" when doing the legwork yourself. The morphological minutiae that make many species really interesting are easy to overlook unless you spend the time staring at them and reading their descriptions, plus it's a good way to learn the signifiers of the various plant families--which once you do, you'll become human photo recognition software that can ID anything without much trouble. There are apps for just about every country or state in the US specific to its particular region, just search something like "california wildflowers" or "ohio grasses" in the app store. The paid apps are usually really good but there are typically free alternatives too.

Even if you primarily use something like iNaturalist, it's really helpful to have a wildflower app on hand for the times the photo recognition is wrong but you think it might be on the right track.

I've been trying to find a website to do this that is easy to use. Is there such a thing? I found a native plants one, I forget what, but it's kind of janky on my mobile. I'd use an app but only if it's a catch all one, I don't want to have to install five different apps

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is this a thread i can ask some general questions about houseplants?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

ughhhh posted:

Is this a thread i can ask some general questions about houseplants?

Yeah shoot, there’s some serious houseplant people in here

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cool. So how do i safely allow my Ivy's to climb all over the walls without damaging them indoors? Would a plastic tarp or mesh spacing be good? I have several Ivy's growing like crazy on pots and they really want to crawl around. To be more specific, Im going to use plastic wall hooks to keep my pothos vines up which I am not worried about, but the hustler and jubilee Ivy's I have which grow using little claws are what I am worried about

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Cool. So how do i safely allow my Ivy's to climb all over the walls without damaging them indoors? Would a plastic tarp or mesh spacing be good? I have several Ivy's growing like crazy on pots and they really want to crawl around. To be more specific, Im going to use plastic wall hooks to keep my pothos vines up which I am not worried about, but the hustler and jubilee Ivy's I have which grow using little claws are what I am worried about

I have some Pothos growing up one of my walls and it has surprised me by being more than capable of holding onto the paint without any assistance (though I have given it some support just in case). As far as the Ivy goes, other than hanging up some trellis netting or something I suppose you could just do it with plastic hooks as well though it might be labor intensive depending on how much ivy you have. 3M makes clips for christmas lights (Amazon lists them as "outdoor light clips") that are pretty good for holding onto stems.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Sprue posted:

I've been trying to find a website to do this that is easy to use. Is there such a thing? I found a native plants one, I forget what, but it's kind of janky on my mobile. I'd use an app but only if it's a catch all one, I don't want to have to install five different apps

Thomas Elpel's site has all the big resources linked. You can also download a PDF of Botany in a Day from the site, which includes a dichotomous key. Botany in a Day is pretty much the king of introductory plant identification and I can't recommend it enough especially if you're interested in learning all the plant families.

You really don't need multiple apps either, just one for your state/region. An app that has everything would probably be several gigs and take forever to sift through possible IDs. I do this professionally and I only use 3 Idaho specific apps that are good enough for work that has me traveling throughout Idaho/Oregon/Utah/Nevada/California. I use a free app called Idaho Wildflower Search (which has crappy photos and some misidentification errors but it's pretty comprehensive with over 3000 species), another $8 app called Idaho Wildflowers that runs better on android and has good photos, and another specifically for grasses. In practice, I use the paid app alone 90% of the time and dip into the free one if what I'm looking for isn't listed or if I want more reference photos.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I just hung up some expanding willow trellises from the dollar store for my vining stuff.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Definstley gonna try the trellises and use maybe a plastic tarp backing and see how that goes.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
This summer is beating my rear end, lots of plants looking like pure poo poo due to intensity of heat and then epic multi-day deluges . I’ve had to move lawn chairs throughout both gardens to shade lots of spring plantings from the heat of the day, so now entire yard looks like I just finished having a party that took social distancing Very Seriously

Brunnera of course looks like he needs a prozac prescription, acanthus fried, astilbe edges seared, helleborus foetidus immediately died after an epic down pour along with a transplanted dogwood (I never trust those anyway after transplant, so no shock there). Even my enkianthus looks like I’ve never watered him, and he’s in pretty nice shade throughout the day, maybe he just can’t take the ambient heat yet?? Shits really intense but I didn’t have half of these problems last year when we were in a drought but it wasn’t quite so unrelentingly hot and sunny all the time

I’m thinking several have secretly bit the dust but hopefully they’re just going dormant to get the gently caress out of this weather. Wish I could too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I bought a charming little planter that sits on a cup of water with a wick that keeps the soil very very wet. The included dwarf strawberry seeds barely got to the sprouting point before they succumbed to mold; the jalapeno seeds I planted next on a whim also have done not a drat thing. I think I'm going to abandon the whole from-seed deal and put in a miniature houseplant that loves wet feet. Does anyone have any recommendations? The planter is about 1 cu. inch, so we're talking fairy-garden tiny. The planter is currently in an east-facing window, but its very compact size means it can be moved just about anywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Here’s a small plant that attracted my interest recently, Amorphophallus ongsakulii.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Here’s a small plant that attracted my interest recently, Amorphophallus ongsakulii.
Hey, cool! I've had a lot of luck with A. konjac; it might be nice to grow its tiny little cousin, too. Thanks!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
A cubic inch is a novelty dice size, you’re pretty much locked into succulent territory

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

A cubic inch is a novelty dice size, you’re pretty much locked into succulent territory
It's one of these (not my photo):

I can probably fit my thumb and index finger in there to the first knuckle. Not a lot of room, no.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There are some truly tiny Petrocosmea species and hybrids that don't mind wet/humid conditions. They're very pretty and easy to care for.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hirayuki posted:

I bought a charming little planter that sits on a cup of water with a wick that keeps the soil very very wet. The included dwarf strawberry seeds barely got to the sprouting point before they succumbed to mold; the jalapeno seeds I planted next on a whim also have done not a drat thing. I think I'm going to abandon the whole from-seed deal and put in a miniature houseplant that loves wet feet. Does anyone have any recommendations? The planter is about 1 cu. inch, so we're talking fairy-garden tiny. The planter is currently in an east-facing window, but its very compact size means it can be moved just about anywhere.

Sedum seems to handle anything. Maybe a mini ivy?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Why not just get rid of the wick thing? That'd free it up for way more cacti/succulents, which would be my first thought for such a tiny pot

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

Why not just get rid of the wick thing? That'd free it up for way more cacti/succulents, which would be my first thought for such a tiny pot

Yeah, the moisture is really the issue. You could try looking at some of the mini plants that people use for aquariums and poo poo. I know there are very small Anubias varieties that might like it, at least.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nosre posted:

Yeah, I'll see if I can do this. I think it's removable; it'll leave a wicked hole, but I have pot shards to stop that up. I really don't like succulents, so I was hoping to be able to plant something else. :( But there are a lot of good ideas in this thread, so I'll go to the nursery (which has a dedicated fairy garden section) with an open mind. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

The tips being dried out like that is very common with newly purchased Haworthia fasciata. I think it's potentially from them getting sunburned at nurseries but I'm not entirely sure what causes it.

Your aloe looks like it may be well on the way to rotting, unfortunately, but it's impossible to tell for sure from a photo. Succulents on the shelves at places like supermarkets and big box stores often have some/all of their roots rotted out from the store overwatering the poo poo out of them while they wait for them to sell. The soil you have them in also looks dangerously organic (there's some posts about what to grow succulents in within the last page or two).

There are an incredible number of succulents out there so you'd probably have to give people more to go on. You could try browsing around a site like this and seeing what jumps out at you.

Regarding the potting soil mix, does this stuff look alright? I know it’s been awhile but... covid and urban unrest and stuff. 😳

Pro-Mix Premium Cactus Mix 5L (1kg) with Mycoactive https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K1JY7N8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VqxiFbC5A331W

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Platystemon posted:

:allears: Look at this cute baby

edit: I just noticed my Clivia started blooming. Except it's the tiniest bloom count ever.

At least it's trying!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

Regarding the potting soil mix, does this stuff look alright? I know it’s been awhile but... covid and urban unrest and stuff. 😳

Wouldn't recommend it as its peat based. This (just looking at the first page of results for cactus mix on Canadian Amazon) looks like it has a saner set of ingredients though I have not personally tried it and they don't say the ratios.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

edit: I just noticed my Clivia started blooming. Except it's the tiniest bloom count ever.

Hey, if it's blooming at all you're not doing too bad with Clivia. One of my family members has an absolutely massive one they've been growing for 25 years that is now too large to move anywhere to give it a dormant period so, you know, don't do that.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 29, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks, any suggestions as to what might be the mold situation pictured here? We have another of the same plant inside that has some similar stuff showing.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I have a plant in my yard. Someone said I might be able to get it identified in this thread.

I am out mowing the lawn one day. I look down at the edge of a flower bed, and see a big plant sticking up out of the ground. It wasn’t there two weeks earlier, and when I first saw it, it must have already been two feet tall.

This is my fourth summer in this house, and I have never seen this plant before. It was growing visibly larger almost by the day. Maybe three weeks after I first saw it, it was up to my chin. I am 6’4”.

After that, it only got a little taller, but it started to spread out. The base has got to be over two inches in diameter. It has tons of branches, leaves, and green (some are reddish or purple) flower pods. Some of the pods have opened up to reveal tiny white flowers, but most are closed.

It showed up out of nowhere. I don’t recognize the type of plant it is. It’s growing larger at an alarming rate.

At this point, I don’t even want to walk past the thing, because I’m afraid I’ll hear Levi Stubbs’ voice coming out of it.

Here it is around when I first noticed it.

Here it is a couple of weeks later. It has nearly doubled in width and density since this photograph was taken.

Here is an inexplicably blurry photograph of the closed flowers.

Oh, I also found these tasty mushrooms at the base of a tree. They keep growing back, no matter what you do to them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s pokeweed. It’s a weed. If you are really really really hungry you can eat it when it’s young if you boil it a few times and throw out the water every time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana?wprov=sfti1

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that's 100% Pokeweed and it's probably not the greatest idea to handle it without gloves, especially the flower/berry part. But if you didn't get a rash already, you're probably fine. It's toxic but not nearly as bad as poison ivy. It will spread like wildfire, though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a big stand of pokeweed I'm my backyard because it's native, pretty, and birds like it :)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I have a plant in my yard. Someone said I might be able to get it identified in this thread.

I am out mowing the lawn one day. I look down at the edge of a flower bed, and see a big plant sticking up out of the ground. It wasn’t there two weeks earlier, and when I first saw it, it must have already been two feet tall.

This is my fourth summer in this house, and I have never seen this plant before. It was growing visibly larger almost by the day. Maybe three weeks after I first saw it, it was up to my chin. I am 6’4”.

After that, it only got a little taller, but it started to spread out. The base has got to be over two inches in diameter. It has tons of branches, leaves, and green (some are reddish or purple) flower pods. Some of the pods have opened up to reveal tiny white flowers, but most are closed.

It showed up out of nowhere. I don’t recognize the type of plant it is. It’s growing larger at an alarming rate.

At this point, I don’t even want to walk past the thing, because I’m afraid I’ll hear Levi Stubbs’ voice coming out of it.

Here it is around when I first noticed it.

Here it is a couple of weeks later. It has nearly doubled in width and density since this photograph was taken.

Here is an inexplicably blurry photograph of the closed flowers.

Oh, I also found these tasty mushrooms at the base of a tree. They keep growing back, no matter what you do to them.

pokeberry

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have never heard of getting a contact rash from poke. My understanding was that it's just toxic to consume. People paint their dogs purple with it.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have never heard of getting a contact rash from poke. My understanding was that it's just toxic to consume. People paint their dogs purple with it.

The sap can cause a rash if you’re real sensitive but otherwise yeah it’s pretty benign (don’t eat those berries tho lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks. It seems unanimous that I somehow failed to identify pokeweed despite the fact that I grew up surrounded by it, and the fact that it has its own drat song.

Still, isn’t it six feet in six-ish weeks super fast growth? Even if I fudge the timing and say eight or ten weeks, that thing rocketed up out of the ground.