Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Do people dislike mini war gaming? I really enjoy their battle reports

Yeah I find them unbearable, but they're very popular so I'm not the norm I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't mind them, I'll watch their videos if it contains an army I'm interested in but people here seem to have strong opinions, one way or the other :v: . Just the general mannerisms / cadence with which he speak feels a little... I don't know what the word is? Trying to make everything way more exciting than it is. Forced energy.

I recently started watching Tabletop Titans a little bit more the last few weeks, I greatly appreciate that they just have a dice tray with a camera pointed at it rather than holding the camera in one hand while they try to pick up handfuls of dice to roll with the other and such.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They're okay-ishm, I used to watch them a lot when there weren't many people uploading HD battle reports, but I've more recently avoided them for a few reasons.

1 : You can't learn the rules of the game or different armies by watching because they regularly forget rules.

2 : They used to have a sort of affiliate program where they would advertise painting studios for a price. The problem here is that the studios would sometimes scam people, and when they didn't the working conditions for the painters working for them were sometimes abysmal. MWG didn't care whenever it was all pointed out to them.

3 : This is much more rumor-y but i've heard the main guy with the glasses is a huge jerk to work for and is possibly a religious fundamentalist.

Any one of these I could easily overlook but combined it sort of puts me off them.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Modulo16 posted:

I'm going to plug my podcast here:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tabletop-dropouts/id1521848315

We're really new, and we talk about lots of different stuff, but I can promise there will never be a tirade like the one you describe. We also talk about other cool stuff. Feel free to listen.

Listened to the first half hour in the car this morning, cool and good! Just so you know, the Apple app is listing eps 1, 2 & 4 as series 1, and 3 & 5 as unknown series, so it’s playing them out of order. Apple podcast app bad at doing podcasts, who woulda thunk it.

Thanks for the other recommends everyone, will give them all a try over the next few days.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I enjoy MWG but I've been watching a lot of Tabletop Titans and Tabletop Tactics and really enjoy their stuff.

I would not be the slightest bit surprised if Matt from MWG was a hard-core Christian lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Snail Information posted:

The raffle idea is really great. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I came to post more compaints about the app, because I actually cannot get over how much of a scam it is, but my bitterness has just melted away. Good luck everyone in the raffle.

Thank you. I've been guilty of doomsaying in the past, and I know this thread can fall into it often. Sometimes, you just need to force positivity out every pore.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Midwinter Minis is planning to do a whole lot more battle reports in future which rules because they’re the best at editing and producing them. The main problem is they’re all just little 500pt skirmishes, but Guy’s been hinting that the new ones will be bigger

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

PinheadSlim posted:

They're okay-ishm, I used to watch them a lot when there weren't many people uploading HD battle reports, but I've more recently avoided them for a few reasons.

1 : You can't learn the rules of the game or different armies by watching because they regularly forget rules.

2 : They used to have a sort of affiliate program where they would advertise painting studios for a price. The problem here is that the studios would sometimes scam people, and when they didn't the working conditions for the painters working for them were sometimes abysmal. MWG didn't care whenever it was all pointed out to them.

3 : This is much more rumor-y but i've heard the main guy with the glasses is a huge jerk to work for and is possibly a religious fundamentalist.

Any one of these I could easily overlook but combined it sort of puts me off them.

I didn't even know about 2) and 3), I just find their actual battle reports to be hard to watch because everything (rules, editing) just seems super sloppy, and I just can't make it through an entire report without losing interest.

Basically, their reports are polar opposites of what Play on Tabletop does (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzT2rRwO0I).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Badly Jester posted:

I didn't even know about 2) and 3), I just find their actual battle reports to be hard to watch because everything (rules, editing) just seems super sloppy, and I just can't make it through an entire report without losing interest.

Basically, their reports are polar opposites of what Play on Tabletop does (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzT2rRwO0I).

See the suspension of disbelief broke for me when I was asked to imagine that a captain of the Imperial Fists would be worth even bothering to talk to.

Them's a poo poo chapter what make even Ultras look good & sensible.

E: Is Frontline Gaming the fashy ones? :ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been watching Midwinter's battle reports and they've been pretty great as a new player. Winters SEO's non-paywalled stuff is also pretty fun from what I can tell.

Who does really good narrative battle reports?

Edit:

Badly Jester posted:

drat this narrator has some extreme "I was an announcer on the original run of Battlebots on TV" voice.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 30, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Drone posted:

I've been watching Midwinter's battle reports and they've been pretty great as a new player. Winters SEO's non-paywalled stuff is also pretty fun from what I can tell.

There's a guy who does stop-action humorous narrative campaign battle reports, I can't remember the channel name though.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Badly Jester posted:

Yeah in regards to 2) I remember at least two specific incidents from just one of these affiliates, Blue Table Painting.

In the first one a guy sent them thousands of dollars worth of Chaos Dwarves to base and paint. I don't remember the price but it was definitely a 4 figure job, as it was a lot of models and the guy paid for a high standard of painting. When he got them they were mostly basecoated, some of them highlighted a little, and a slapped on layer of flat dark grey corkboard for a base. Blue Table Painting refused to touch up the models or refund the guy any significant portion of his money. Here's a video showing off their work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO4Cw

The second incident is when a customer wanted some Tau terrain and was willing to trade an OOP resin Eldar titan for it. The trade was agreed to, and the customer received absolutely garbage terrain that could have been made in a few hours, it was really awful. He immediately wanted to return the terrain to them but somehow by then they had already received and sold the Titan.
I'm pretty sure this is the exact set of terrain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsm6PaVqdP4

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

They can now at least.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/WwmEkmb1MyUp2pPp.pdf

No idea why that wasn't included from the start. v:v:v Feels like they really don't want to be stuck with the old perpetuated system of some chapters having their own codex since they keep forgetting them and having to FAQ them in later.

Oh thanks for pointing this out, I was basically ignoring the RAW anyway because it's obviously not intended but now they've pointed this out thats good at least. Just gotta figure out how to add them on battlscribe.

Sab669 posted:

I don't mind them, I'll watch their videos if it contains an army I'm interested in but people here seem to have strong opinions, one way or the other :v: . Just the general mannerisms / cadence with which he speak feels a little... I don't know what the word is? Trying to make everything way more exciting than it is. Forced energy.

I recently started watching Tabletop Titans a little bit more the last few weeks, I greatly appreciate that they just have a dice tray with a camera pointed at it rather than holding the camera in one hand while they try to pick up handfuls of dice to roll with the other and such.

Titans is literally the only Battle Reps I've not got bored watching, I think it's because Brian and Adrian have a pretty good rapport and they don't go full cringe nerd like Tabletop Tactics does sometimes. They just seem like two relatively normal friends playing a relatively competitive game of 40K. They also discuss why they are doing what they are doing with each other a lot, which is good for the watcher.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Oh thanks for pointing this out, I was basically ignoring the RAW anyway because it's obviously not intended but now they've pointed this out thats good at least. Just gotta figure out how to add them on battlscribe.

Yeah that errata seems to have slipped by peoples radar by the looks of it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Brian looks and sound like what i imagine every 40k player does but they have a great rapport and really seem to love the game

Agree that TTTactis can be a little cringe but that's part of the fun for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

My best friend since I was 4 and I used to always split the core box when it came out - He would take the xenos, and I would take the Imperium. He died last Friday after a year-long fight with brain, lung and bone cancer. I would like to, free of charge, send the Necron component of Indominitous to one lucky goon, anywhere in the world. Would this be likely to cause problems?

Sorry for your loss

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Brian looks and sound like what i imagine every 40k player does but they have a great rapport and really seem to love the game

A guy on reddit called "theleftistrash" insisted Brian was That Guy who measures everything to the mm and insists he's always right on the rules etc, and as I read that comment I was watching a bat rep from them where he literally just let Adrian move something back because they misunderstood a rule and was like "Nah just move it if you want it's cool". The guy then followed me around reddit calling me gay for Brian and got both banned from the warhammer sub and reddit itself when I said that Brian seemed like a cool dude, and if anyone was That Guy it was him.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I played a lot in GW stores and clubs where people were like that and I always found it really cringy and awkward. I can't put my finger on who but they remind me of some awkward guys I played against who were a bit weird. I don't actually have anything against TTTactics but they just cringe me out too much to watch battle reports. The stuff they do when they aren't playing the game is a bit more tame and I watch that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol when i was watching one of their videos someone was spamming in chat "panic at the disco versus Hagrads dad"

People are weird

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Agreed Table Top Titans is head and shoulders above the rest. Also agreed that Table Top Tactics is very annoying sometimes. Especially Beard.
For pure tournament tactics I think Art of War is the best with some of the best tournament players from the US but it can be a bit dry but I enjoy the higher level plays that they go through.
In terms of solid content without extra cringe I like Guerilla Miniature Games. Nothing reallyfancy but very solid paintwork, good commentary. They do screw up the rules sometimes but its a bearable amount. SN battle reports is okay but the main guy is not so likeable but they have put in a lot of effort in to their production.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How I would paint the necrons: pain brush, silver & brass, bright glowing green

Feelgood story: I am recovered from alcoholism and drug addiction, its really a feel good story for my family and friends, but now I can afford plastic dudes.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Drone posted:

Edit:

drat this narrator has some extreme "I was an announcer on the original run of Battlebots on TV" voice.

Yeah, that does get grating, but I really appreciate the whole "40k in 40 minutes" approach, and they tend to do a good job of showing you the interesting parts of the game rather than just bumbling along for 3 hours, making me question why the gently caress I'm even watching this in the first place.

PinheadSlim posted:

[...] Blue Table Painting [...]

Wow, that's absolutely hosed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So the 40k/40 min is deecer than I thought it was going to be but shouldn't they be wearing masks or some poo poo?

:ohdear:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Drone posted:

Edit:

Agreed and it absolutely owns. He occasionally plays in the battles and it's just not the same without his voice over.

Also about a month back there is a tau v chaos battle that everyone should check out, if only because the chaos army is full of awesome conversion work.
Edit: Instagram gallery of the chaos army.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 30, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MRLOLAST posted:

In terms of solid content without extra cringe I like Guerilla Miniature Games. Nothing reallyfancy but very solid paintwork, good commentary. They do screw up the rules sometimes but its a bearable amount. SN battle reports is okay but the main guy is not so likeable but they have put in a lot of effort in to their production.

Oh yeah, I check in on Ash's stuff occasionally too. A+ would get stoned with Ash and Owen and play wargames.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Modulo16 posted:

I'm going to plug my podcast here:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tabletop-dropouts/id1521848315

We're really new, and we talk about lots of different stuff, but I can promise there will never be a tirade like the one you describe. We also talk about other cool stuff. Feel free to listen.

Podcast seems nice, I'm not sure if its just the episode I clicked on but the microphone volumes for each of you are kinda all over the place, with one of you being so loud its peaking my speaker and others being so quiet i can barely hear. I don't know how difficult it is to fix issues like that but ya it kinda got me

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Drone posted:

Oh yeah, I check in on Ash's stuff occasionally too. A+ would get stoned with Ash and Owen and play wargames.

Owens accent is amazing. Is he Canadian because when he says " I will move this fella" It makes me smile .

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Badly Jester posted:

Haven't you gotten the memo? GW hates Space Wolves players and is thus currently squatting the faction :psyduck:. Honestly, I'm used to online whining, but are the communities for other (marine) factions this bad? Of course they are.

Anyway, I'm 100% certain we'll be seeing chapter-specific models in a few years, once the Primaris line is fully fleshed out and old marines only exist on paper (and countless attics). GW needs to sell things.

I can't wait for Iron Hands to get chaplain redemptor dreadnoughts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So the biggest starter kit (the Dark Imperium equivalent) comes with a full rule book, it is the same as the one in Indominus or is it a different one?

And you still need the other two books for points and something else right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

They can now at least.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/WwmEkmb1MyUp2pPp.pdf

No idea why that wasn't included from the start. v:v:v Feels like they really don't want to be stuck with the old perpetuated system of some chapters having their own codex since they keep forgetting them and having to FAQ them in later.

Making space wolfs and dark/blood angels a supplement is a very good choice imho

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Making space wolfs and dark/blood angels a supplement is a very good choice imho

Yeah I think a supplement would've been a better idea than a full on codex like they've had for a while now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Knobb Manwich posted:

Agreed and it absolutely owns. He occasionally plays in the battles and it's just not the same without his voice over.

Also about a month back there is a tau v chaos battle that everyone should check out, if only because the chaos army is full of awesome conversion work.

You weren't kidding about that Chaos army. Does he have a showcase page somewhere?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

So the biggest starter kit (the Dark Imperium equivalent) comes with a full rule book, it is the same as the one in Indominus or is it a different one?

And you still need the other two books for points and something else right?

The Command Edition box's rule book is truncated. It's listed as 184 pages, the full rule book is 368 pages.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MRLOLAST posted:

Owens accent is amazing. Is he Canadian because when he says " I will move this fella" It makes me smile .

Pretty sure they both are. But Owen's definitely got the stronger accent.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Schadenboner posted:

You weren't kidding about that Chaos army. Does he have a showcase page somewhere?

here's his Instagram

Sorry I thought it was easier to get to, not hidden in the comments.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
That loving Defiler. :drat:

Knobb Manwich posted:

here's his Instagram

Sorry I thought it was easier to get to, not hidden in the comments.

I block youtube comments via plugin.

:shrug:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schadenboner posted:

That loving Defiler. :drat:

I block youtube comments via plugin.

:shrug:

You can just, you know, not scroll down. I don't get why you have a specific plugin for that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can relate to it, sometimes you scroll down mindlessly and see a comment that reminds you some people on the internet are garbage and avoiding that isn't the worst thing in the world :shrug:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just grab an extension that puts the video window into windowed fullscreen and you don't have to bother about seeing the comments unless you're foolish enough to scroll down.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've got a plugin that just turns Youtube comments into "herpderp herpderp" and it amuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Drone posted:

I've got a plugin that just turns Youtube comments into "herpderp herpderp" and it amuses me.

Good lord do I wish I had that for certain other places.

Speaking of good plugins I can't recommend the Blacklist plug in enough. Perfect way to get rid of certain people off your video and channel recommendations.