Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

This month's Heatonist subscription. This is the second one I've ordered.

The garlic Classic is a legit all day anyone every food sauce. It's up there with Kolohe Kid for top notch egg sauces.
The Hellfire cab sauce is a really surprising sauce from them. All the other sauces I have from them have been essentially mashes based on a single pepper. Small bottles, big heat, not a lot of nuance. This is a really interesting sauce with reasonable heat and a lot of complexity. Not sure what it would go best on but it's always neat to see folks trying something new. Maybe with a really funky cheese?

Haven't tried the Shaquanda's sauce yet but everything they've done is great.

A++ will continue my subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Missing Name posted:

I previously suggested people try Hank Sauce's Cilanktro for pork and fish.

Well, now I recommend their Honey Habanero sauce. It's a tad sweet, excellent pepper flavor but also not knock your socks off spicy. I totally see myself using a whole bottle on a plate of wings in the near future.

I picked up some of their Camouflage and it is GLORIOUS. It's vaguely reminiscent of Frank's but better in every way.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I have a mix of plants this year--Peruvian Habaneros, 7-Pot Browns, Carolina Reapers, Aji Verde, and an Orange Thai anuum variety--loaded with unripe fruit. I typically dry/freeze them, pickle, or make salsa/sauces. For the sauce plans this year, I have some curiosities about Scoville ratings. If I have a rough idea of the min/max/median Scoville rating of a particular cultivar, what is the best way to estimate the resulting Scoville rating of a home-made sauce? Just for curiosity, not commercial.

For example, if Peruvian Habaneros average around 200 thousand SHU (understanding the variation in the actual value of my plants), and I blend the fruit into a puree, is the puree still equivalent value? If I have mixed a sauce with other ingredients (fruit, carrots, onions/garlic, etc) and vinegar can I unofficially estimate the resulting SHU using a ratio of mass of peppers vs other ingredients, or are all bets off?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Actually heat depends on the dilution of the capsaicinoids in the mixture. But it’ll depend more on the water content than the solids. If you want a rough estimate, you could average out the heat by weight, and that would be good enough for a home kitchen hot sauce. But I find it’s more fun to just put scary adjectives on the label to scare off family and friends.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cynic answer - just make up a number it's probably what almost everyone else does.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
There needs to be a better way. Like a litmus paper for capsaicin. Even if everyone senses it differently, at least something objective to evaluate.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

They use liquid chromatography for scoville, even if it is a really arbitrary unit of measurement.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
So is the “5-panel” taste test deprecated? I know simple chromatography can be done at home, but does separating and identifying capsaicin require a real lab?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For a long time I’d think? People probably still do it, but it’s not a good tool to measure things. Now they use high-performance liquid chromatography. Still measuring capsaicinoids, you just multiply the ppm by a constant to get SHU because that’s what everyone expects to see. You could do it at home if you have the equipment, but that’s more than most serious hobbyists would have, unless they love lab work for another reason. I looked into it at one point briefly on a lark for something else and it was out of my reasonable :homebrew: budget.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just tried the Hot Ones Constrictor sauce. Not bad, I was expecting it to be a lot hotter, though, given the reaper extract in it. It didn’t have that gross extract taste, so maybe they didn’t go insane with it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Edit: Apparently I revised my opinion.

The last two hot sauces in that lineup just feel kind of gimmicky. It's interesting to get an "extract" type sauce without the flavor but the nose is definitely extract on "Constrictor"

After a few more folks input and maybe trying it more sober I still maintain that the second sauce is hotter. "Eye Of The Scorpion" starts hot and bright and just stays hot.

mischief fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ll have to try Eye of the Scorpion next. I went straight for the extract since I wanted something with a ton of burn, lately things haven’t really been making me feel it like they used to so I hoped an extract would get me that heat like I remember.

Also I’m wary of scorpion sauces, most of the ones I’ve had really messed with my insides.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
Back in the late 90's when I was in the Marines we had a mess night.

The CO's food had been tampered with in traditional fashion and had to take a bite without drinking water and deem the dinner consumable... Someone in the kitchen thought that half a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce would be fitting.. was supposed to be a dab but ended up being poured on like a steak sauce...

Enough about that I am looking to find a variety of sauces to spice up my life happy I stumble across this one again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's that time of the year again, made some hot sauce with jalapenos from our garden.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Maybe a weird question, but how have people here gone about getting their kids more into hot sauce? My 2 year old will bash Frank's and Cholula all day, but I don't really know where to go from there. Maybe Tabasco? Not really in a rush or anything, just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think it's a personality thing. No one in my family eats anything hotter than black pepper and I grew up seeking out spicy food. My oldest daughter would eat hot spicy food when she was little but my youngest hates spice.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

katkillad2 posted:

It's that time of the year again, made some hot sauce with jalapenos from our garden.

This looks delicious. Are you still looking for wing recipes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How much vinegar do I need in my hot sauce to not need refrigeration? I made a hot sauce out of a whole bunch of jalapenos that I grew, pineapple, shallots, garlic, and ginger. I charred everything on the grill, and then I covered everything in vinegar before I blended it. No water added.

I assume that's enough. I want to mail a bottle to my dad across the country. It should hold up, right?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
4.6 pH going by memory.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

How much vinegar do I need in my hot sauce to not need refrigeration? I made a hot sauce out of a whole bunch of jalapenos that I grew, pineapple, shallots, garlic, and ginger. I charred everything on the grill, and then I covered everything in vinegar before I blended it. No water added.

I assume that's enough. I want to mail a bottle to my dad across the country. It should hold up, right?

Yeah, under 4.6 pH. If you don’t have a meter you can’t really estimate due to all the other ingredients. If you can measure, then it should ship fine. I’ve shipped my sauce in woozy bottles before and they ship fine, but not in the smallest mailer box. I prefer to add 1.5-2% salt by weight too, but it’s not entirely necessary.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else love Melinda's as a condiment style hot sauce?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone else love Melinda's as a condiment style hot sauce?

Melinda's is good and I'll use it at like a diner if it's available, but I haven't bought it since learning they hosed Marie Sharp over re: her original recipe

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

Melinda's is good and I'll use it at like a diner if it's available, but I haven't bought it since learning they hosed Marie Sharp over re: her original recipe

Well, I USED to drink the garlic habanero by the gallon. Did the reading now...

Will try to go for Marie Sharp's for the future.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

4.6 pH going by memory.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, under 4.6 pH. If you don’t have a meter you can’t really estimate due to all the other ingredients. If you can measure, then it should ship fine. I’ve shipped my sauce in woozy bottles before and they ship fine, but not in the smallest mailer box. I prefer to add 1.5-2% salt by weight too, but it’s not entirely necessary.

Yeah 3.5!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
*sigh*

Welp!

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I'm not sold on the Marie Sharp's sob story. The importer that now sells as Melinda's doesn't stalk/spam social media like Marie Sharp's does (to the point of them being banned on the hot sauce reddits) to give their side of the story. From what I have seen, Marie Sharp was also being shady (not paying farmers) and used the trademark issue to break her contract with the importer. The trademark was possibly registered due to it being untrademarked for 9 years and the distributor requiring them to have it. Until either of them wants to give hard evidence instead of hot air I will keep buying what tastes good.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 24, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

About 2.5 weeks ago I made a Nando's sauce clone using peri-peris that I've been growing on my balcony.

How long should this keep in the refrigerator? I still have a little bit left in one bottle, and another completely full bottle besides.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Couple more reviews:

Lucky Dog Black Label Special Reserve - This is an impressive sauce. Really strong early sweet flavors from the fig and apple and then that late bright heat of the trinidad scorpion. Very complex and great on wings. Probably wasted as any kind of additive - sauce some stuff up and eat!

Shaquanda's Spicier Smoke - Another good wing sauce and a good gateway hot sauce for people with reservations about going up the scoville chart. Would likely be serviceable on a burrito or the like but also seems to be best as the star of the meal.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Hi! I just discovered this thread. Living pretty close to a couple great produce markets, I'll occasionally buy whatever seems interesting and make a hot sauce out of it. Some fermented hot sauces I've made over the past few years:
  • Habanero, carrot, parsnip, and garlic: roughly the same ratios as other carrot-based recipes out there, but half the carrot replaced with parsnip. It blended it into a strangely gel-like pale orange sauce. Spice level was very similar to the yucateco green sauce. I think using parsnips was a stroke of luck, I'm definitely going to do that more.
  • Green onion, arbol, garlic, and jalapeno: discarded the arbols after fermenting (they seemed pretty leathery), then removed most of the green onions and cooked them down in a pan. Blended it into... spicy onion sauce? Not exactly what I was looking for, but it was still excellent.
  • Serrano, green/kalamata/cured black olive: the goal was to make a hot sauce cousin to tapenade. It turned out a little too salty and with disappointingly low heat level, but definitely tasted like olives. Good on eggs.
  • Green finger hot chili, parsley, oregano and sage: huge wad of parsley, much less (fresh) oregano and sage. It seemed like it could've ended up overbearingly herbal before fermentation, but it mellowed out nicely and I've been using it in my soups.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My three balcony chili plants (habanero, lemon drop, peri-peri) have been extremely productive this year and now I'm swimming in chilis. Gonna get down to making some more sauce here soon.

How much of a concern is the whole botulism thing? Does fermenting the chilis first minimize/eliminate that risk any? Or is it a thing where as long as the pH value of the end product is below like ~4, I'm fine?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The bacteria that causes botulism cannot survive highly acidic environments; I think the canning/jam thread has more precise numbers but generally a very acidic sauce is safe on that front.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s an issue of not letting it grow at all when you’re fermenting. Once those toxins are there, they don’t go away even if you ferment the botulinum into dormancy. Use proper fermentation ratios and/or vinegar and you’ll be fine though. Aim for under 4.6pH and it can be shelf stable. Chiles are a lower pH veggie to start too, so that helps.

And then post pictures of your sauce when it’s done because my habaneros did nothing this year and all I’ll have is a small pile of cayenne and Thai chiles and I need to live vicariously through others this year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jhet posted:

And then post pictures of your sauce when it’s done because my habaneros did nothing this year and all I’ll have is a small pile of cayenne and Thai chiles and I need to live vicariously through others this year.

I already made one a few weeks ago (peri-peri sauce) and it came out great.

Despite accidentally using twice the amount of lemon juice than the recipe called for. Oops! Guess I'm at least definitely under that 4.6 pH then.

Came out a bit thick though. It works fine with peri-peri sauce, but if I were doing something more watery I'm not sure my immersion blender is gonna cut it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The hot sauce I made a few weeks ago its noticeably less hot than it was the first day. My tolerance has not gone up as my intake of hot sauces and hot peppers has not changed. Did something happen to denature the capsaicin?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

We talk about fermented sauce making here too?

Got this SFRB of super hots from a facebook pepper exchange group. Not sure which peppers are which but I think the yellows are khangstarr lemon starrburst and the brown is a chocolate bhutlah. Theyre a random assortment from this list:
pre:
Sugar rush cream
Billy boy yellow
White Murupi
Peppa peach
White fatalli 
Scotch bonnet yellow
Devils tongue
Red ghost 
White ghost
Peach ghost
Chocolate bhutlah
Peach habanero
Pink tiger 
Ks misery sweet
Ks lemon starburst 
Red starfish
Red scorpion
And more
Debating making one batch with all of the peppers or separating by color and making smaller batches with different flavor profiles. One of the profiles I'm thinking is the yellows with some fresh calamansi I have growing in the backyard. Calamansi has a very thin skin so if I want to include the zest I might need to add them whole but I'm worried the pith will be bitter. What should I do?

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 17, 2020

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I bought some of that Dave's Gourmet Creamy Roasted Jalapeno sauce and it is tasteless and boring. Any product that is bland with such a promising description is a scandal!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

GrAviTy84 posted:

Debating making one batch with all of the peppers or separating by color and making smaller batches with different flavor profiles. One of the profiles I'm thinking is the yellows with some fresh calamansi I have growing in the backyard. Calamansi has a very thin skin so if I want to include the zest I might need to add them whole but I'm worried the pith will be bitter. What should I do?

Would it be possible to do a sort of quick pickle of the calamansi, like preserved lemons but for less time? That should take care of the pith.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got the Heartbeat Scorpion pepper sauce yesterday. It is excellent. Significantly milder than I expected but a ton of flavor.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

uber_stoat posted:

this stuff is a good Caribbean style sauce if you can find it. I just get it from amazon.

I moved a while back and I'm near a Caribbean grocery now (pretty loving rare in Minnesota) and it's super awesome. They've got alllll sorts of actually spicy hot sauces and most of them are less than $3 for a 5oz bottle.

My latest purchase was Matouk's Trinidad Scorpion Pepper Sauce, $9 for 10oz, and it's nice to have a hot sauce with some real heat in it in the house for so little money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I love Matouk's so much, my only regret is the last time I ordered it online, both bottles had the safety buttons popped up and sauce past the seal on the cap and into the threads. Uhhhh no.