Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

been playing around with the cherry audio voltage modular since the base version is free and i liked it well enough to get the core and drums bundle that has all the polyphony, logic, midi and sampler modules... they say it's $99 but if you already registered the free version they knock off $20... it's pretty slick, runs standalone or in vst, lots of modules for like $10 - $20 that have cool stuff like additive and fm synthesis, sounds good, can process external audio via sidechain in vst... tried it with diva, my poor cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That sounds really cool, virtual modulars are a lot of fun for not a lot of money (comparatively).
I've got super into Reaktor Blocks recently, it's cool to tinker with between calls when I'm working, very zen. It has also really made me appreciate the amount of stuff that is needed for even a simple synth patch, the standard tips that get thrown out when people discuss hardware (you can never have enough VCAs) make so much more sense to me now.
The update yesterday to 6.4 apparently means that Blocks from the user library can be front panel patched when/if they're updated and used in Racks which is awesome but so far all it's meant is if I open the free Euro Reakt blocks in a Rack the Guis are all hosed up. As there's a paid version of Euro Reakt that already offers the front panel patching I reckon I may be SOL here.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

d0grent posted:

Melodyne 5 just came out and it's fantastic. They have a lite version for $249 that still has all the functionality you need for vocal editing, but yeah the full version is pretty steep at $699.

Yeah I'll probably upgrade soon. I have Editor and I use it all the time. The cost is quite steep but if you're doing a lot of vocal stuff it is entirely worth it.

While I'm at it, let me chuck in a dark horse in the pitch fuckery niche that I like quite a bit: PitchMonster. It's simple enough to be a good every day harmonizer/vocoder/pitch correction device, but you can do some pretty extreme stuff with it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jvPmKjWs6I

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
my dudes, what are y'all using for trance gate effects?

i used to use CamelAudio's CamelSpace (which I still technically have a registered copy of, but don't wish to mess with it since it's unsupported and I think there were weird activation instructions once they sold off to Apple), and most recently I used the trancegate plugin from the Vengeance Producer Suite. it gets the job done i guess, but i would like something with a couple more tweakable parameters.

the project i'm working on now I'm trying to do entirely with Cubase 9.5 bundled effects/instruments + a handful of Komplete instruments. trying to see if a very stripped-down setup makes me more productive. but there is no trance gate effect across Cubase/Komplete as far as I know, so I'm willing to bend the rules for that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I use the arpeggiators in Cubase's own instruments a bunch for that sort of thing, use the 'hold' for the longer notes. Retrologue and Padshop both have this feature.
You can run your audio/synth via sidechain into Retrologue, unsure about Padshop, and make use of the filters, fx and the arp sequencer like that.

You can also build an easy one in Reaktor Blocks to apply as an effect, even with the freebie ones available with Komplete Start.
All of the following can be done with front panel patching, no need to get into the scary guts of the thing, just drag the blocks from the Browser into a new Rack.

Put Reaktor FX as an insert on the sound you wanna gate, use a Util Clock linked to the 'gate' input on a Bento 8 Step, and program your bububaa sequence.
Send the Bento 8 Step's gate output
to control modulation 'A' on a Bento VCA. Make sure the vol is turned all the way down, click the 'A' in the top of the module, then drag the slider that appears next to the volume knob up to apply the gate.
Run your Audio In to the VCA in, then your VCA out to the Output.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

i used to use CamelAudio's CamelSpace (which I still technically have a registered copy of, but don't wish to mess with it since it's unsupported and I think there were weird activation instructions once they sold off to Apple), and most recently I used the trancegate plugin from the Vengeance Producer Suite. it gets the job done i guess, but i would like something with a couple more tweakable parameters.

the project i'm working on now I'm trying to do entirely with Cubase 9.5 bundled effects/instruments + a handful of Komplete instruments. trying to see if a very stripped-down setup makes me more productive. but there is no trance gate effect across Cubase/Komplete as far as I know, so I'm willing to bend the rules for that.

LFOtool: https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

or

Shaperbox: https://www.cableguys.com/shaperbox.html

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I use Tremolator, Stutter Edit, and Effectrix for that sort of thing if I want something more than Bitwig's built-in modulators can do for me.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Radiapathy posted:

SPC Plugins' Gater-Pro

The more basic version, Gater, is free.

But I'm still using a Mac running High Sierra (OS 13) - it doesn't work on Mojave (OS 14) or Catalina (OS15). It supposedly works fine on Windows XP or newer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In Ableton I'd just use a gate sidechained to an instance of operator doing blips (with the track output off). That way you get all the attack, hold, release, floor settings natively in the DAW, no wonky winamp skin plugin windows.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Woah, this thread delivers! Of the suggested options, turns out I have two that I had either forgotten about (LFOtool) or overlooked because it was a less-well-known inclusion in a bundle (Tremolator). I will load those up and see what I can get up to.

But gotta say, Shaperbox looks very cool (i feel cableguys are kinda underrated; they make some solid stuff), and Gater-Pro seems both straightforward and affordable. Thank you for the other suggestions as well!

well why not posted:

no wonky winamp skin plugin windows.
lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
can i just say i kinda hate the modern internet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who doesn't love a well-lubricated snake, is what I wanna know.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Sorry you don't like my videos or choice of oils.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tayter Swift posted:

can i just say i kinda hate the modern internet

Whomever engineered the youtube algorithm to benefit preview images that included faces should be fired, preferably from a canon.

Jesus christ.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the even worse change to the algorithm was when they made it prefer longer videos so every content creator now feels like they have to add as much fluff as possible to the beginning and end of their vids to make it as close to the 10 min mark as possible (if not longer), which is especially noticeable in tutorial vids.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
whatever could you mean

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Arturia has a bunch of stuff on sale right now, is there anything worth picking up? I have Analog Lab already, but Pigments looks interesting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Arturia has a bunch of stuff on sale right now, is there anything worth picking up? I have Analog Lab already, but Pigments looks interesting.
Synthi V, Piano V2, Buchla Easel V, Mini V, SEM V, Prophet V, CS-80 V, ARP2600 V, Jup-8 V...basically the whole V collection, unless that's included in Analog Lab.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Pigments is good, especially if you don’t already have serum etc. OB-Xa is ok.
From the v collection, Dx7,cmi,solina,cz maybe easel/synthi if youre into that kind of thing.
Definetly wouldn’t buy their older/analog stuff, they have updated the engines but they are mostly pretty average. I have v collection 7 and mostly just use the digital ones.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Honestly your best bet is to wait until the whole collection goes on sale, it usually does maybe once or twice a year. Some things are better than others, but even the ones I don't like as much are definitely not a waste, and you can get all of them for the price that 4 of them go for on sale. I don't know if you buy some now you might get a discount on the whole collection if you upgrade, not sure.

edit: For the price that 2 of them go for on sale!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have half a mind to spend money on the V Mellotron, despite already owning Gforce's M-Tron, simply because Gforce told me that I can't redownload it from my account, I'd have to upgrade.

I have the original disc and serial number here somewhere. Like :wtc: Gforce? You put up the older versions of all of the OTHER retro plugins (ImpOscar, Oddity, MiniMonstah); why no Mtron??

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

ricecult posted:

Honestly your best bet is to wait until the whole collection goes on sale, it usually does maybe once or twice a year. Some things are better than others, but even the ones I don't like as much are definitely not a waste, and you can get all of them for the price that 4 of them go for on sale. I don't know if you buy some now you might get a discount on the whole collection if you upgrade, not sure.

edit: For the price that 2 of them go for on sale!

This sounds like the cost-effective option, thanks for the heads up.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

The V Mellotron is really good. I can't compare it to other emulations, but it's really fun and musical, and much more useful than I expected. I only got it as part of the upgrade expecting it to just be an extra thing, but it's actually one of my favorites.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Izotope Neutron 3 Elements is free at Plugin Boutique with the code N3EREMIX.

They also have a separate deal running where RX 7 Elements is free if you buy something (has to be something you pay for -- buying "Neutron 3 Elements" for free doesn't count).

EDIT: While checking out there, I found myself reading about Scaler 2, which seems like it could be kind of fun to play around with, although I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it, and I could also see it being not as much fun in practice as it looks -- like maybe it's more fun to just play around with these things yourself and figure out what sounds right. Anyone tried this one out, or the first version of it?

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 15, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
While those free iZotope Elements deals are always nice, you can also currently get the full version of Nectar 3 (NOT Elements) for only $30 (!) right now, which is an incredible price even for a sale. Nectar 3 includes Melodyne Essential as well, which alone is a decent deal for $30.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/izotope-nectar-3

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Splinter posted:

While those free iZotope Elements deals are always nice, you can also currently get the full version of Nectar 3 (NOT Elements) for only $30 (!) right now, which is an incredible price even for a sale.

This wasn't in evidence when I visited the link. I wonder if it was an error? That or it just expired between yesterday and today. Weird that it has a "SALE" flag, but doesn't list a discount.

Sweetwater has the same thing at $100 through the end of August. I'm thinking of getting it, since I've been doing a lot with vocals lately. Worth it? Disappointed that I missed out on the $30 offer, though.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Nectar3--izotope-nectar-3

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Qylvaran posted:

This wasn't in evidence when I visited the link. I wonder if it was an error? That or it just expired between yesterday and today. Weird that it has a "SALE" flag, but doesn't list a discount.

Looks like it expired :(. Must have only been a 1 or 2 day thing.

Qylvaran posted:

Sweetwater has the same thing at $100 through the end of August. I'm thinking of getting it, since I've been doing a lot with vocals lately. Worth it? Disappointed that I missed out on the $30 offer, though.

I can't speak to whether it's worth it at $99 as I only just got it on Friday night and haven't had much time to play around with it yet. I believe $99 is the base price for Melodyne 5 Essential (you get 5 w/ this despite the product listings sometimes saying 4), so if you think you'll make use of Melodyne you're already getting your monies worth (it including Melodyne is one of the main reasons I got it). One thing to watch out for though is I'd expect some pretty big iZotope sales come November (black friday time), so it's possible either Nectar will be cheaper then (though doubt we'll see $30 again), or some sort of bundle that includes Nectar will be available for not much more than its current sale price (as long as you own some existing iZotope plugins, which these free 'Elements' deals usually count for--probably the #1 reason to grab free or < $10 iZotope sales). So if you have your eyes on other iZotope stuff, it might be worth waiting, but if you could get a lot of use out of Nectar now (which you mentioned), I think that's still a good price. Since that sale is going through the end of the month, the best thing you could do is download the 10-day demo and try it out for a bit before making your decision.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I did that thing where I got Iris 2 for 8 quid then got the standard versions of Neutron, Nectar and Ozone (plus RX standard as a freebie) for about the cost of Neutron alone.
And signing in made me remember I grabbed DDelay back when it was free and forgot I had it instead of its now £44 so that was a pleasant surprise.
Hope Trash 2 gets cheap soon.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/audio-imperia-offer
:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop:

The greatest-hits Nucleus is only a hundred bucks cheaper than that insane bundle, but it makes sense, for most people it's still arguably the best value

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

I use Tremolator, Stutter Edit, and Effectrix for that sort of thing if I want something more than Bitwig's built-in modulators can do for me.

Trig, please do not tell people to use stutter edit, it is too good and saves too much time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

muckswirler posted:

Trig, please do not tell people to use stutter edit, it is too good and saves too much time.

Honestly I don't use it as often as the other two because I haven't taken the time to really learn it. SE2 just came out though, so I reckon I'll dig in soon and finally start using it as much as it deserves.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Radiapathy, this video was just posted if you're still looking at trancegates in Cubase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiCsaAnjCc

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The updated UI for Stutter Edit 2 looks like poo poo, wow.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

The updated UI for Stutter Edit 2 looks like poo poo, wow.

I think it looks better than the old one, but I thought the old one looked like absolute garbage so that's a very low bar.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Trig Discipline posted:

I think it looks better than the old one, but I thought the old one looked like absolute garbage so that's a very low bar.

The old one was all on one screen at least. I hate having to page around for parameters.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Eventinde is giving away a synth vst. Looks interesting.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/pendulate

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Pendulate is supposed to be based on the physics of a double pendulum. Here is a double pendulum.

https://twitter.com/pendulum_bot/status/1301209792120315905

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i got the pendulate download cause i’m always interested in new approaches to basic synthesis methods.

i notice no one has posted about the announcement of komplete 13. ...and i’m not surprised, cause it doesn’t offer anything new, just more libraries and super 8.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Guitar Rig 6 too, which is some new amps/IRs and some more NI effects hosted in it. Which is weird cos I'm sure they removed that functionality from when it was previously in there--I have the Solid Pack and none of that shows up in GR even though Traktors 12 and RAMMFIRE do.

It's possible to get some decent sounds with 5 if you load in IRs into Reflektor but it feels a bit weird cos it still behaves like a reverb (I know IRs are just little reverbs). Couldn't see it replacing STL Tonality for me personally, though I do use GR5 as a pedal board sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Interested in seeing how GR6's modelling compares to GR5. If there's a noticeable improvement that might be worth the sale price upgrade (usually $99) for me. Otherwise, pretty underwhelming release.