Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Trimp
This poll is closed.
Mr Brexit +++ 684 0.84%
a picture is worth a thousand words 1008 1.24%
keyboard goop 79662 97.92%
Total: 240 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

tenderjerk posted:

I dunno, I figure alot of Acting Heads of poo poo are part of this circle now

yeah all of the "Acting" people in government, some in clear violation of the law and all in flagrant violation of the intention of Senate approval, should tell you exactly how well process can constrain people in a position of power who simply do not give a single poo poo.

if process was a lock on making sure a fascist coup doesn't happen, donny would have been impeached and removed five dozen times already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

brugroffil posted:

"biden makes it to the inauguration ceremony" smuggles in a huge assumption that enough of the government that currently holds power considers him the legitimate winner. we already saw that's not necessarily the case with 2000.

so yeah if you start with "biden is accepted as the clear and legitimate winner by everyone including most/enough Republicans," great Trump will leave or be removed. people are trying to point out that starting with that assumption is maybe not a great one right now!

no this is backpedaling, you're doing a backpedaling. Nobody in this thread has ever claimed or would ever claim that the election will be legitimate. Of course the Republicans are going to try to steal it or rig it. And of course trump has been and will continue to call it illegitimate regardless of outcome.

The point of contention is entirely over what would happen if Biden is declared the winner, would Trump somehow stay in office anyway. That is the argument.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
New Abnormal is a hell of an album I feel like people moved on too fast from. it’s real good!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

"biden makes it to the inauguration ceremony" smuggles in a huge assumption that enough of the government that currently holds power considers him the legitimate winner. we already saw that's not necessarily the case with 2000.

so yeah if you start with "biden is accepted as the clear and legitimate winner by everyone including most/enough Republicans," great Trump will leave or be removed. people are trying to point out that starting with that assumption is maybe not a great one right now!

The post I quoted to start all this was

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

There is no mechanism or process to remove presidents unwilling to leave office lol
And that is what we are discussing. We are literally talking about if President Biden can remove former President Donald Trump from the white house, and there are people here that either enjoy being absurdly cynical as a tongue in cheek coping mechanism, or are genuinely broken enough to believe that Trump is literally invincible.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Reality Protester posted:

and then the SS says no, actually, we like trump

So god knows how many pages behind this is but I am friends with a guy who was on Obama's SS detail and I can absolutely assure you they hate Trump. Even the hardcore right wing guys loved Obama cause he always knew when their kids birthdays were and spent a lot of time talking to all of them. Also there were almost fist fights on who would guard their kids since they were super nice and all the agents loved them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288907923914137604?s=19

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Protester posted:

refusing to leave is a lot different than a coup. the logistics are entirely different.

it's this.

time and again over the past 4 years we've had it made abundantly clear for the people in the back that "crime" is a relative/subjective thing and norms are dumb bullshit for babies

if trump wants to say "these results are a sham! i'm the President and i won!" enough shirt-and-tie men would agree because they don't want to jeopardize their pension or lives trying to tackle the "rogue president", you think Officer Dipshit earning 53k a year is gonna be consumed with patriotic duty and tackle him? no, he's going to wait for someone above his pay grade to tell him to do it

if he does somehow have the chutzpah to try and stay in office despite obviously losing, it'd be on the people or the military to set things to right, not the day-in-day-out stooge posse

if the election is close enough to contest and malleable enough to fudge, he'll just dig his heels in and Biden will either concede or run it up the court system, lose, then concede

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

tbf i like the idea of secret service agents stalking each other in the white house corridors wearing red and blue lapel pins to indicate their team

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernard Sanders officially supports a Jim Crow relic.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
drat his hair game is on point in this one

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

B-Rock452 posted:

So god knows how many pages behind this is but I am friends with a guy who was on Obama's SS detail and I can absolutely assure you they hate Trump. Even the hardcore right wing guys loved Obama cause he always knew when their kids birthdays were and spent a lot of time talking to all of them. Also there were almost fist fights on who would guard their kids since they were super nice and all the agents loved them

Yeah but think of all the overtime they get with Trump!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What logistics?????

you need to amass power to do a coup against a sitting government. to stay in power you just have to not let go. trump already controls all the levers of power.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tenderjerk posted:

I dunno, I figure alot of Acting Heads of poo poo are part of this circle now

Yeah and they're the same pack of petty crooks I mentioned. They aren't in this for a grand project to reshape Americna governance. They're in it for personal gain. They aren't going to stick their necks out for Trump

D1E posted:

Or... hmmm... do you think maybe Trump's rabid militant heavily armed conspiracy theory-addled white supremacist inbred redneck imbecile base might riot if he actually loses?

I know that sounds farfetched but do you think it could happen??

NO ONE SAID OTHERWISE you disingenuous twit. Of course there will be more political violence as we get closer to the election, and of course Trump supporters will take Trump's assertions that the election is illegitimate as justification for that violence. That is not being argued.

All of you know that Trump is obviously too senile and cowardly to actually try to take over the government in the case of his loss. You know that, you've all been reading the Trump thread too long to think otherwise! You're just being doom-brained because it's more fun.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Finally someone who's talking about what's important

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Its the guy in the Spiderman mask gif, sorry, gif, anyone in particular or just some random person? Just curious.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

career federal law enforcement and military hate trump and won't hestitate to remove him if the tries to stay in office but this is all academic because trump is going to be relected :getin:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nonsense posted:

Yeah he announced his support for Biden a while ago

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

So many more words than for John Lewis

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:whitewater:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Trumps personal bodyguard also apparently showed up thinking he was going to run the secret service and tried to take over his detail when Trump first started which pissed off everyone

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Trump already took over the government. He represents mainstream Republican thought, and they’re driving the bus.

If he wasn’t such a vulgar figure national elected Dems would probably welcome him seizing power. He’s a busy box to keep the right people angry, and they hate democracy and their constituents.

He might be too toxic though, idk. We’ll find out one way or another because there’s not going to be enough turnout to legitimize the coming general election.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gripweed posted:

no this is backpedaling, you're doing a backpedaling. Nobody in this thread has ever claimed or would ever claim that the election will be legitimate. Of course the Republicans are going to try to steal it or rig it. And of course trump has been and will continue to call it illegitimate regardless of outcome.

The point of contention is entirely over what would happen if Biden is declared the winner, would Trump somehow stay in office anyway. That is the argument.

backpedalling my rear end I jumped in in the middle of the conversation with my own assumptions of starting premises

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Ape of Naples posted:

So many more words than for John Lewis

:yooge: John Lewis is DEAD!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Its the guy in the Spiderman mask gif, sorry, gif, anyone in particular or just some random person? Just curious.

Wife beater and delaware senator Tom Carper. It's fits my needs special way of saying "shut the gently caress up liberal" and it's definitely not creepy how he posts it multiple times a day

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

that does not seem very important

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Gripweed posted:

NO ONE SAID OTHERWISE you disingenuous twit. Of course there will be more political violence as we get closer to the election, and of course Trump supporters will take Trump's assertions that the election is illegitimate as justification for that violence. That is not being argued.

MODS please change my username to DISINGENUOUS TWIT. Just like that - in capitals.

Thank you!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

the senior senator from delaware

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Is his hair photoshopped in?
Has a nice blur on it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just got off...

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!

its nichaels dad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

that's elijah cummings

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wife beater and delaware senator Tom Carper. It's fits my needs special way of saying "shut the gently caress up liberal" and it's definitely not creepy how he posts it multiple times a day

Tom Hanks

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Is his hair photoshopped in?
Has a nice blur on it.

the president is 43% gaussian

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

the senior senator from delaware

I regret asking

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
#NEW Redfield & Wilton Polls

#AZSen
Kelly (D) 53% (+4 Since last month)
McSally (R-Inc) 35% (+1)

#NCSen
Cunningham (D) 47% (+2)
Tillis (R-Inc) 36% (-)

#MISen:
Peters (D-Inc) 52% (+2)
James (R) 35% (+3)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

lol obama mad about the Vote tweet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hate getting mad in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

I hate getting mad in this thread

For what it's worth I appreciate the assist.