Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rogue One had better cinematography than Last Jedi what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rogue One had better cinematography than Last Jedi what the gently caress?

rogue one had some great shots but tlj is the best looking star wars movie imo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jerkface posted:

rogue one had some great shots but tlj is the best looking star wars movie imo.

Rogue One is by far, even with the reshoots. Last Jedi and Empire are neck and neck for close seconds, but I'd edge out Empire, given 80s tech vs current. I'd have no problem turning this into a shot comparison thread either.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rogue One looks great and does so while sticking close to the SW aesthetic. TLJ pushes the style boundaries more and has a lot more distinct designs. Rogue One crushes the look of the originals and expands it a little. TLJ is kind of it's own thing - no other SW has done anything as stylised as the suicide mission or the skype force call.

It's very funny that they seemingly hired Gareth Edwards in part due to his expertise at making things on screen look super big. He's great at it. Star Destroyers never looked as good as when he was directing. All that practice on Monsters and Godzilla paid off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Worth noting that Abrams kept the Force Skype Call for RoS and even expanded on it, even as he was furiously dumping everything else from TLJ and doing absolutely nothing else remotely new or ambitious.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

That's what it's supposed to symbolize, sure. But it's not like they're coming close and barely missing, or each fighter is dodging each other's attack. In reality they're both just swinging at air to show off, and it just looks silly. It does not accomplish that goal.

What does accomplish that goal, I feel, is when they both try to Force push each other right after that. THAT moment lands, for me. The twirling at nothing, not so much.

yeah they're flourishing, they are showing off at each other. like the one dude has been trained by the other so them having a similar fighting style seems fine to me. also it's like half a second long and nerds have broken themselves up about it after watching a loop

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

well why not posted:

Rogue One looks great and does so while sticking close to the SW aesthetic. TLJ pushes the style boundaries more and has a lot more distinct designs. Rogue One crushes the look of the originals and expands it a little. TLJ is kind of it's own thing - no other SW has done anything as stylised as the suicide mission or the skype force call.

It's very funny that they seemingly hired Gareth Edwards in part due to his expertise at making things on screen look super big. He's great at it. Star Destroyers never looked as good as when he was directing. All that practice on Monsters and Godzilla paid off.

I love this specifically about Rogue One, it really emphasised the size of the Imperial war machines like AT-ATs and the Death Star compared to the people on the ground. It even does it at the end with Darth Vader, the human-sized Imperial war machine, as he walks down a hallway unstoppably destroying the rebels

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Horizon Burning posted:

The lightsaber twirling demonstrates how Anakin and Obi-Wan are perfectly, evenly matched. Two halves of the same whole.

No. It demonstrates how loving dumb the prequels were. It was literally the pinnacle achievement of pointless annoying bullshit.

PeterWeller posted:

My favorite part about the throne room fight in TLJ is how Rey flings that one guard's head into the curtains catching them on fire and causing all the embers and ash that start raining down. It leads to a great symbol where Snoke's red curtains that he uses along with his oculus to control what can be seen are burned away to reveal the star filled void of the wide open galaxy.

yea this was cool. it had meaning. unlike dual of the twirling flashlights on lava planet.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Explain how a burning curtain is meaningful but a burning planet is not meaningful.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

No. It demonstrates how loving dumb the prequels were. It was literally the pinnacle achievement of pointless annoying bullshit.

imagine that but slower and clumsier and it goes on for half the scene. wait you dont have to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3HMz25LvnY

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'll give it up to rian, he was admirably quick on the draw incorporating russiagate imagery into the film. Every time I think about star wars 8 another facet of its supreme lib-ness reveals itself

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

yea this was cool. it had meaning. unlike dual of the twirling flashlights on lava planet.

That lightsaber fight in ROTS is loaded with visual metaphors. You have no idea what you’re talking about. There’s a whole other thread for low effort meme-posting about the prequels if you want.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One neat thing about the Anakin vs Obi-Wan duel is how it brings down the industrial facility they're fighting in and they keep incidentally ruining the day of robot workers

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Worth noting that Abrams kept the Force Skype Call for RoS and even expanded on it, even as he was furiously dumping everything else from TLJ and doing absolutely nothing else remotely new or ambitious.

I love the transition between Kylo's pristine white room and the grungy city at the same time they're butchering Poe as a character by pretending being a smuggler was a bad thing

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

My favorite part about the throne room fight in TLJ is how Rey flings that one guard's head into the curtains catching them on fire and causing all the embers and ash that start raining down. It leads to a great symbol where Snoke's red curtains that he uses along with his oculus to control what can be seen are burned away to reveal the star filled void of the wide open galaxy.
Yeah, for all the notion that TLJ was basically tanking what TFA set up, it plays Snoke in the most literal way. The only thing you see of Snoke in TFA evokes The Wizard of Oz. TLJ just fulfills that by pulling back the curtain and revealing there is absolutely nothing to him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I love the transition between Kylo's pristine white room and the grungy city at the same time they're butchering Poe as a character by pretending being a smuggler was a bad thing

Han was a smuggler, but he only smuggled nice things like Jabba's dancing slaves, not drugs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pospysyl posted:

Han was a smuggler, but he only smuggled nice things like Jabba's dancing slaves, not drugs.

What the hell do you think "spice" is?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Paprika?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I always thought that was one of the weirder things about Star Wars. I don't know much about Dune or it's history. Did it come up with "spice" being a thing in sci-fi, or was that a trope before it? If Dune came up with it...that's a pretty blatant rip off, just talking about the "spice mines of Kessel" right there in the first 5 minutes.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

What the hell do you think "spice" is?

Finn's objection to Poe's background is that he was a spice runner. Whether Han smuggled spice isn't clear.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

pospysyl posted:

Finn's objection to Poe's background is that he was a spice runner. Whether Han smuggled spice isn't clear.

I was about to say the Jabba scene in ANH specifically has Jabba call out Han for dropping the shipment of spice, but I watched it again, and while it's in the script, it looks like in the scene itself, Jabba just says, "shipment".

Though Luke does refer to his father as a navigator on a spice freighter. Which is...interesting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That's medical spice.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jabba really likes to add a little bit of extra flavor to those... bug things... he eats, tell ya what

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Though Luke does refer to his father as a navigator on a spice freighter. Which is...interesting.

Can't believe ESB threw out all of ANH's brilliant set up of Luke's dad being a mutated fish man suspended in a tank of psychedelic vapor

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pulled out my new copy of Secret History of Star Wars, which I have been reading in between the Dune books, and there's not too terribly much in there about Dune's influence. Other than George read it in preparation of revising the script, and of course during the writing of Star Wars it was a big series (the first four books came out in 65 69 76 and 81).

Some stuff from Dune was pretty obviously yanked and put into George's blender (spice, the power of voice, an entry for "sandcrawler" in the glossary) but other things seem murkier (Jedi Bendu vs Bene Gesserit, the desert planet). And of course the common well of monomyth and religion and all that stuff means that you can connect more dots than I think were ever intended (magical twins, at long last debating your absentee father, a weird alternate reading of Sheev's actions based on God Emperor of Dune and ROS I now have)

And like Flash Gordon it was one of the source materials that got made into a movie off the wave of Star Wars mania

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Clearly, Solo is undermining the spice monopoly of the East Naboo Company.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They missed a trick when Poe got defensive and called Finn and Rey "stormtrooper and scavenger" by not having her snap back that "that's not worse than spice runner!"

Not the thing that really needed fixing in that movie by any means.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They were weirdly fixated on calling poe a "spice runner" over and over like "scavenger". Like Han is called a smuggler, a scoundrel, a pirate, etc but rey is always called a scavenger (even by snoke and maybe sheev) like it's this formalized title. It's kinda bizarre

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

They were weirdly fixated on calling poe a "spice runner" over and over like "scavenger". Like Han is called a smuggler, a scoundrel, a pirate, etc but rey is always called a scavenger (even by snoke and maybe sheev) like it's this formalized title. It's kinda bizarre

yeah it's weird since she has only 3 levels in Scavenger and at least 4 in Jedi

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He should have called her a homeless bum.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ingmar terdman posted:

Nothing is more disreputable than herding nerfs

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to Wookieepedia, Nerfs are only found in the wealthy Core worlds, and their herders are low-class and "looked upon as lesser beings". The most vile insult Leia could think of for Han is to call him poor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The 'spice mines of kessel' are a place 3PO is worried about being sent if they get captured by the Empire. So it's an unpleasant place that's an official Imperial Facility that produces Spice, a substance that is legitimately and illegitimately moved around.

I think it's pretty obvious that spice is paprika.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

According to Wookieepedia, Nerfs are only found in the wealthy Core worlds, and their herders are low-class and "looked upon as lesser beings". The most vile insult Leia could think of for Han is to call him poor.

Well she's a princess and a senator so

Alchenar posted:

The 'spice mines of kessel' are a place 3PO is worried about being sent if they get captured by the Empire. So it's an unpleasant place that's an official Imperial Facility that produces Spice, a substance that is legitimately and illegitimately moved around.

I think it's pretty obvious that spice is paprika.

And since Threepio was worried about getting sent there, it's almost entirely staffed by droids in Solo lol

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Robot Style posted:

The best part is that Han does not take the nerf herder part as an insult. He’s taken aback by being called “scruffy looking”.

Han’s a proud working class man.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Technically speaking spice could be legal but restricted, with smuggling occurring to get around tariffs, import restrictions, or exclusive contracts à la tea before the American Revolution.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

cuntman.net posted:

imagine that but slower and clumsier and it goes on for half the scene. wait you dont have to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3HMz25LvnY

This is actually like the polar opposite of what you're talking about. Why did you even bother posting this? That argument doesn't exist.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its easy to see if you actually watch the scene and look at what the people in it are doing

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

TLJ fight scene inspired by watching me mash buttons on Soul Calibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

This is actually like the polar opposite of what you're talking about. Why did you even bother posting this? That argument doesn't exist.

To be clear: the "Anakin and Obiman swing their swords in a loop for several mintues without hitting eachother" complaint is literally confusing a popular animated gif with what happens in the actual movie.

In the actual movie, the two characters just pause for a half-second before blasting psychic power at eachother. The gif loops the half-second pause indefinitely, so it seems like the characters are standing still indefinitely. It's a "special effect".

Meanwhile, we can make animated gifs of other films:

\

This one doesn't make a perfect loop, so it highlights how the characters actually are just randomly spinning. One guy tosses his weapon away to die, etc.