Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I kind of like seeing Ririko bumbling around brazenly without a care in the world. She's just intelligent enough to make it entertaining without stooping to caveman detective level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was very funny how during drunk introspection ririko remembered the itemized list her terrible husband went through about everything she does wrong and what to do instead. however her conclusion about this remains that she'll do what she wants. it is what she wants, so it must be correct despite that being objectively untrue.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Also, I just wanted to say thank you to everbody for nice messages. It's true that my motivation has faltered a bit here, especially with that last update which was pretty blah, but seeing as there are others who are like me also somewhat interested in seeing what happens with the whole backstory, has definitely helped restore my motivation.

So thanks everybody and from now on we should be able to resume the updates with a bit more typical tempo that we've had so far!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, I think like everyone else I'm completely mystified at what the hell these cases are but the sense of incoming drama is strong ... so I need to know

like that guy who's working for us now, what is his deal aside from being Extremely Excited

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back!

Last time, we didn't have a particularly useful session, apart from learning a bit more about the assault incident that Mamoru was apparently involved in. We also met with the victim, one Harada Yuuko, but she pretty much refused to work with us. We also learned that a psychiatric hospital, Hayakawa Clinic, was somehow involved in the whole story, but also there we were met with a wall of silence from Nurse Ratched.

While all this was going on, Yuuji was also investigating, so let's first find out what news there is from that side.

As mentioned, last update was really not super interesting, but I can promise you that this one is pretty much the exact opposite!

Good morning, Yuuji. How did you manage yesterday?

What do you think? They don't really look like it's a brother-sister relationship, do they?
What if they are just close as siblings?
You can only say that because you have not really experienced such a thing. No matter how you look at it, they are a couple.
Well, if you says so, then I'll believe it.

But does that mean... they are cheating, after all?
I certainly think so.
Hey Yuuji. How about following Mamoru with that GPS? Yesterday was his day off, so maybe there will be some interesting movement today?
Okay.
In the meantime, I'll try to collect some more information about the assault incident.

And so, we find ourselves again in that part of the game where we have a bit of freedom where we want to go! The choices are, from the top: Takeuchi Detective Agency, Kakiuchi House, Kyouwa World Transportation, Kaiuchi's sister's house, The newspaper office, Hayakawa Clinic and the lottery kiosk.

I know what you're thinking: let's go talk to the "sister" because she might provide some missing pieces to this puzzle. But, no. If you go there, she's simply not at home. In fact, only three of these locations actually have anything useful to talk about--if you go to the hospital or to the lottery kiosk, you're simply told to go away, and the sister, as mentioned, is not at home. Therefore, let's start with our scatterbrained friend at the newspaper. Don't worry, though, we'll get to talk at length to the sister a bit later today, just not as part of this "free movement" phase!

Anyway, to the newspaper office we go!

Thanks for your phone call yesterday.
Oh, did you find the address of Hayakawa Clinic?
Yeah, but I couldn't get an appointment to talk to them.

If you know anything more about this, can you please tell me?

YOU NEVER MENTIONED THIS!
Right, right, sorry, my bad. Anyway, he worked as an assistant there.
What is an assistant? Somebody who is in training to become a doctor?

No, not like that. He was a music therapist.
A music therapist?
Right. Trying to heal people's minds with the power of music. It's everywhere nowadays, but it was still quite new then.
Do you not need a doctor's license for that?
Getting the qualifications for this is not that complicated. Even though this was five years ago, it seems he had the foresight to do it.

In order to continue we need to do a check.

Head: He keeps nodding his head, like he understand everything.

Left hand: He's scratching his body randomly.

Right hand: The right hand is moving rhytmically.

Let's go with "head" this time.

What exactly does a music therapist do?
Ahaha, I have no idea either! But at a guess, they play music during counseling to get the patient to relax? I'm not really into that stuff anyway.
So, you're saying that Kakiuchi Mamoru was basically fired because of this incident?
That's how I remember it.

Well, your memory so far hasn't exactly proven itself to be reliable, so...

And Hayakawa Junichi, the clinic's director, basically told you about his assistant, is that right?
Basically. Wait here, let me get my notebook.

A few moments later...

Thank you for waiting. Let's see... ah here it is.

Absurd?
Well, that's how it felt to me. But if you ask me seriously, if I were the director, I would first stop both Kakiuchi and Harada Yuuko from talking about it. If there was an assault during counseling, what was the company going to look to the outside? So I found it odd that he would bring the action himself. Look here, I wrote down "a man of integrity".
Sorry, I'm not able to read your handwriting...
Hmm, you think it's a bit messy because I write too fast?

Well, that's all we can find out here for now, so let's head to our next destination, which is to see how our client Kanako is doing!

Ah, no, here is fine. So, how have you been doing.
I'm better now. Sorry about losing my composure like that the other day...

It's "check" time!

Kanako: She always seems to be very careful about her personal appearance.

Hands: Looking at her right now, she doesn't seem emotionally unstable.

Face: Her complexion looks bette than before.

Let's talk about her appearance.

You always look so well put together, you know.
Do I? Thank you very much.
For me, after having been married for three years, I tend to slip a bit... You must really love your husband. I should try to emulate you.

I'm really scared, you know. That my husband is going to leave me. Our marriage was like an elopement, so our families never even got to properly meet face to face. If I split up with my husband, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to survive that...
Sorry, I'm talking too much again...
No, I'm sorry. But, one thing, Kanako-san. Do you happen to know Harada Yuuko-san?

What is wrong? Why are you shouting like that all of a sudden?

I guess you don't know her. Then, how about Hayakawa Junichi?

Are you all right? Just now, you again... It's a bit worrying.

I see. I guess you're still a bit anxious. When you calm down, let me know and we can talk then.
Of course. Sorry.

Well, clearly Kanako is still behaving extremely erratically, but beleive me you haven't seen the half of it yet! In any case, we need to make a move towards our third and last stop for now: the taxicab company.

It's just an act.
Are you still investigating that thing, then? So what do you need today?
It seems I already have a reputation here, dont't I?
Well, I always do for you what you ask me to, don't I?
That's true. I appreciate it.
So then, what's up today?
I would like you to tell me the address of Kakiuchi Masaru.
That's personal information. I can't do it.
Can you not manage somehow, please?

Well maybe if we do a "check", we'll be able to convince him.

Shoulders: He's shrugging his shoulders, looking uncomfortable.

Pocket: Notebook contains business information. Perhaps what I'm looking for is there.

It's not really been mentioned directly, but you can see that he has a notebook stuffed in his pocket. So let's talk about that.

Anyway, I'm sure it's in that notebook. Can you not let me look for a bit?
I don't mind if it's about me, but I can't show you things about other people without their permission.
Hm...
(It's not the kind of situation where I can simply say "show me". I'm going to have to be completely honest here.)
Sawada-san... I'm investigation Kakiuchi Mamoru at the request of his wife, Kanako.
Yeah, I figured.
At first, I thought it will be just an ordinary investigation about cheating. But something doesn't seem quite right with Kanako-san.
What do you mean?
She seems to be driven to the edge, mentally. She keeps changing her opinion and in general appears quite unstable. Do you see what I mean? I'm really worried about her.

Well, I just can't leave things alone! Therefore...
Therefore?
Please tell me the address of Kakiuchi Masaru. He is definitely hiding something.

I do appreciate it.

I do have one condition, though. Masaru is is also somehow under pressure mentally. So feel free to investigate, but don't push him. Do you understand?
I understand.
I'm also a little worried about him, because he doesn't seem well lately.
I understant. I promise not to make a mess of it.
All right. Then wait just a moment and I'll write it down for you.

Here you go.
Thanks. I really am grateful.

Well, whether she messes it up or not, remains to be seen. But I just wanted to mention, out of all relationships in this game, the one between these two really seems almost the most healthy of them all. If nothing else, they're both pretty honest with each other.

And that concludes our driving session for today. Let's head back to the office and see what is new there!

What's up, Mayumi?
Since last time, I was looking a bit more into that incident with Kakiuchi Mamoru...
Yes? What did you find?
A couple of weekly magazines also mentioned the case, but it seems that it's all based on the reporting from that newspaper.

Suspect Kakiuchi Mamoru (30) used to work at Hayakawa Clinic in Minato, Tokyo. The owner of the clinic is Hayakawa Junichi (55), a psychiatrist and psychotherapist. Hayakawa Junichi is a pioneer in music therapy in Japan and his achievements have been well recognised by the scientific community. At the time of the incident, Kakiuchi worked at the hospital as a music therapist. Victim Harada Yuuko was being treated at the same hospital and came in contact with Kakiuchi. The hospital has a system where doctors and therapists with together to administer treatment. Oota Masami (52) was the doctor in charge of the victim Harada Yuuko. According to the police, they are proceeding with the investigation and have not yet confirmed whether Dr. Oota was herself involved in the incident.

I heard already at the newspaper that Kakiuchi used to be a music therapist. But, who is this Oota Masami person?
There are no further details in the article...
Mayumi, sorry, I know you're busy, but could you also look up this person, Oota Masami?
Of course! I was planning on doing it anyway.
I will go out, try to gather some more information. If you come up with anything, please contact me on my mobile phone.
Yes.

And that means... yes, you guessed it! We are FINALLY going to have a talk with the "sister". So make sure you're holding on tight, because this one is going to be a bit... well, you'll see.

The beginning of this conversation proceeds via the speaker at the door.

Yes, who is it?
My name is Takeuchi. I wanted to talk about something regarding Kakiuchi Mamoru.
Oh, I see. But what is this about?
I'm a detective.
A detective?
Could we talk about Kakiuchi-san, please?
All right. Just wait a second, please.

Sorry for disturbing you suddenly like this.

A lot of people say that. But, being a detective is not a flashy job, it's mostly investigating affairs and looking up information on people.
I see.
Today, it's about information. First of all, can you tell me your name?

Actually here she also explains which kanji are used to write her name, but this has no relevance to the plot and also there is no joke to be found here, so I decided to omit that part since it would just be messy in translation.

What is your difference in age from Kakiuchi Mamoru-san?

Husband?
Yes, he's 35 years old.
Ah, sorry, I was asking about Kakiuchi Mamoru-san...
Yes, my husband.
Sorry, but you're not his sister?
Oh, I see, I guess it's a misunderstanding. My husband does have a sister, I heard that she's the same age as me.

Right, well, while we collect our thoughts, let's do a "check"!

Yukiko: Is Yukiko his wife and not his sister? But then what is Kanako?

Face: Beautiful facial features. Has a feel similar to Kanako.

Arms: Beautiful, but it seems there are some shadows. Overall, feels a bit fragile.

None of these have any extra dialogue, so we just continue where we left off.

I've never met her. To use an old-fashioned word, we basically eloped, so our families never really were properly introduced to each other. Well, I guess it's fine. As long as the two of us are fine, that's enough.
Uh, right...

His working hours are quite irregular. It's either Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. They do have a rota for the work days, but it's quite complex. In case of my husband he often goes to work at 7 o'clock and comes home at 2 in the morning.

Is she... is she literally repeating word for word what we already heard from Kanako on previous occasions? Well, let's do another "check"...

Shoulders: Somehow seems a bit lonely, I guess the two of them keep pasing each other.

Face: A very gentle look when she talks about her husband.

This time, we'll choose the first option to talk about.

Being a detective is hard work, but it must be even more difficult with how busy your husband is...
He comes home a couple of times a week, but it will often be suddenly so I can't really do anything. We've been married for 3 years, but it's always been like that.
Any children?
No.
You're not alone here, are you?
I'm used to it. Once you get used to it it's not so bad.
Is your husband's sister seriously ill?

Also, it's time for another "check". There are a few of those in this conversation!

Eyes: From time to time she smiles for no reason. It feels a bit forced?

Shoulders: Seems a bit uncomfortable. What is bothering her?

Again, we'll go with the second option.

Is she in hospital?
It seems that she goes in and out. Hepatitis is an illness tha lasts a long time. She's working as a translator at home. Maybe she just doesn't like people? I've heard that she's a bit odd.
I see...
Sorry, I'm just going on and on. What was it that you wanted to talk about?
Ah yes. It's a bit difficult to say, but it's about an old incident...
An old incident? What kind of incident?
DO you know it? Back when Kakiuchi-san used to work at a hospital.

That's right. So you know it?

What do you mean?
At the time, I was working for an advertising agency. I was very busy with my work and I fell into a depression, so I was receiving counseling.
At Hayakawa Clinc?
Right. My husband was working there as a music therapist. As I was coming there many times, we got close.
So you ended up getting married?
Yes.
So then, about the assault...

You mean Harada Yuuko-san?

If you don't mind, can you tell me a bit more about it?
There is nothing to talk about! It was all a farce! All the trouble was caused because that woman filed a complaint against him out of spite!

Just one more "check" in this conversation!

Arms: Unlike before, she's now gesticulating wildly!

Kanako: Is she saying that the assault was not real? I have no idea what's going on!

Eyes: Her eyes are glazed over, she's really angry now!

But again there are no conversation options so we just go on with the original talk.

She was trying to force my husbannd into a one-sided relationship. There are women like that, who misunderstand things of that kind. But my husband was just nice to her because it's his job, but she thought he was interested in her. She thought she was the one whom my husband liked. My husband was also surprised, he never thought he would be accused like that by Harada Yuuko.
But if it was all a farce, why not fight it?
It's difficult to prove it, isn't it? Doesn't woman often have an advantage in such a situation? Even if you say that it's all false accusations, many people won't believe it. It was just such a situation, anybody would be left defenceless.

He respected him, Dr. Hayakawa. But even the director wouldn't believe him. That seemed to have hit him the hardest.
Is that girl your client?
Please don't misunderstand...
Then who is?
I can't reveal details like that...

Please believe me just this one thing. My client is not Harada Yuuko-san.
So. All right, fine.
Then, what else do you know about Hayakawa Junichi?
I don't know anything special. The director wasn't my attending doctor.
Then, who was it?

I see, thank you very much.

Was this enough, what you wanted to know?
Yes, it was very helpful, I will go and talk to the sister.

Understood. Thank you very much.

Well, that was all kinds of weird, but at least for now we're done here. Let's go back to our car so we can have a mini-breakdown.

Unfortunately, before Ririko can finish that though, she is interrupted by a phone call.

Hello, this is Takeuchi.
This is Kakiuchi.
Oh, Kanako-san, is that you?
Yes, this is Kanako. Ririko-san, I need to talk to you. Is it ok if I visit you at the office?

I'm on my way right now, should I come straight to your house?
Oh, no, my husband might come home, so I will come to your office.
Understood, I will see you there.

Please, what is it?

Kanako-san. Didn't we already talk about this the other day?

...you told him?
Yes.
...that you asked for a cheating investigation?

Are we in a repeating time loop here? We already had this conversation more than once! Well, let's do a quick check before we continue, why not?

Kanako: She's exhausted and her whole body seems like an empty shell.

Eyes: Looking somewhere into the distance... who knows where her mind is.

Again, there is no extra conversation here, so we'll keep going.

So he wouldn't have time for an affair anyway, you know. It was actually really good to honestly confess. Sorry for troubling you, but everything is really fine now.

Uh, yes, sorry. Can I ask you one thing?
Please.
Do you know Harada Yuuko-san?

You mean because of the assault?
It was all a farce! All the trouble was caused because that woman filed a complaint against him out of spite!

You know, seems like a good moment for one last "check" today!

Arms: Unlike before, she's now gesticulating wildly!

Kanako: She's saying the same things as Yukiko. I have no idea what's going on!

Eyes: Her eyes are glazed over, she's really angry now!

No conversation options, let's move on.

She was trying to force my husbannd into a one-sided relationship. There are women like that, who misunderstand things of that kind. But my husband was just nice to her because it's his job, but she thought he was interested in her. She thought she was the one whom my husband liked.

But if he was innocent, why not fight it?
He was basically defenceless, so it would be difficult to prove.

He respected him, Dr. Hayakawa. But even the director wouldn't believe him. That seemed to have hit him the hardest.
Do you know Oota Masami-san?

Did Mamoru-san work with this doctor?
That's right, my husband did. He was very kind. They say that men "don't feed the fish they catch", but I guess it's true. I miss those days.

Apparently that's a Japanese expression used to describe the men who lose interest once "the chase" is over, or something along those lines.

All right. The investigation will be terminated. You don't really need a report do you?
No, I don't need it any more. Thank you very much.
Likewise. Sorry I could not help you.

And she leaves, just like that.

So many questions...

Also, Ririko, girl, are you all right? Because you don't seem all right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
magically potent hypnotism seems like a bit much for an incompetent pi to handle. i wonder, will ririko actually figure out what is going on this time before someone inexplicably explains it to her?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I like the shimmer/warp effect - the game does that to let you know things are going weird, huh?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't tell if this is secret twins or a split personality or what and this owns.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Psion posted:

I like the shimmer/warp effect - the game does that to let you know things are going weird, huh?

I guess it's more of a representation of the state of Ririko's mind, who as I mentioned really doesn't seem to be at all well, with all the playground hallucinations which I don't think have anything to do with hyphotism since they started long before this case. It's really funny because at first I didn't even notice the shimmering effect but then I was like "is that... is that... picture moving?". And indeed it was moving! Also it was a bit of a pain in the rear end to convert it into an animated GIF in such a way that it doesn't have a visible jump lol.

Anyway, next time is the finale of this case, so hopefully we'll find out what this is all about! :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kanako's and Yukiko's angry poses are mirrors - even the way they hold themselves in their neutral pose are pretty similar, shoulders rolled back, chest out, same hair and eye color.

I bet if we meet the assault victim she's going to have the same hair and eye color. Their Bigamist husband has A Type.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Robindaybird posted:

I bet if we meet the assault victim she's going to have the same hair and eye color. Their Bigamist husband has A Type.

We did meet her:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So he hypnotized these two women and told them the other was his sister, and also did something that didn't work to Harada Yuuko causing her to react and him to lose his job. And also Ririko's just breaking down, hard.

This is so weird.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Ririko seems so confused by the entire concept of bigamy. Like, sure, there's an added weird dimension here of the women both saying the same things (presumably because the husband hypnotized them to parrot those lines back when asked about these topics), but you'd think the basic idea of "guy has two families, keeps them both in the dark about each other" wouldn't be so staggeringly incomprehensible to a PI who has said she spends most of her time tracking down cheating spouses.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh... yeah. And given our Heroine has the same hair color.

I am not predicting good things.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

woah this update!! :aaaaa:

what if both of them + the husband were hypnotized??

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Booky posted:

woah this update!! :aaaaa:

I know. To be honest, I didn't know exactly what we're getting ourselves into by starting this game. I only had a bit of a look, and thought to myself, "well, looks interesting, Uematsu was involved with music, so why not".

And, some time later, well, here we are.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

This rules actually, I want more of the game to lean into weird poo poo like this.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So last time Ririko finally met the "sister", Yukiko, but it turned out that she thinks that she is the wife and that Kanako is actually the sister of Mamoru. After that things got a little weird, and Ririko's mind also started to wander a bit, but ultimately she ended up having a bit of a thought regarding who among the people involved in this case might be lying.

Then, let's see how this story ends.

Well, it's clear by this point that the whole scheme was somehow cooked up by Mamoru, so let's pick that.

The following morning...

...ko.
Ririko.
Ririko.
Ririko! Wake up!

I was looking for you everywhere.
Sorry, I guess I fell asleep.
Wake up and have a look at this.

What are those?
I printed out the GPS tracking results. The first one is the route taken by Kakiuchi Masaru. The second one is from Kakiuchi Mamoru.
What am I supposed to be able to see here?
Look here...

What are these times representing?
If they stopped anywhere for more than 5 minutes, then the arrival time and the departure time will be recorded. Isn't it a great feature?
Did Sakamoto-kun develop it?
Well, yeah. But look at the times. He stopped there for two hours.
Could he not have just taken a nap?
At a hotel, during work? This location is a hotel parking garage. I was following him at the time, so I was able to confirm this with my own eyes. Here, I even took a picture.
Let me see.

It may be a bit hard to see, but there is what appears to be a woman sitting in the back seat.

Wait, but what is this? There is a passenger in the car! Did Mamoru go to a hotel like this with a customer in the car?
That is what happened.

So it seems they are both playing hooky with their business vehicle?
Masaru even came to the same place twice. So what do you think?
Hmm, yes, I see now.
What? Tell me?

Please wait for a bit. I will explain everything soon.

Well, I guess at least somebody understands what's going on here... maybe?

In any case, our next stop is again the clinic, because if you recall, we still haven't been able to talk to the director there.

I came as a patient today. I would like a counseling session.
You don't even have an appointment. Please leave.
I will just wait over here...
That's not going to help you, really.

Luckily, we're interrupted...

I would like a counseling session.
I guess no matter how many times they are refused, a persistent detective would never give up.

No, he can't read minds. Remember that Ririko left a business card last time.

Please, give me some time! I need to talk to you about Kakiuchi Mamoru.

Thank you very much.

A few moments later, in his office.

I guess that must have been the only available chair, huh?

Please try to relax. It's difficult to think when your shoulders are so tense.
Thank you.
You know, the psychological treatments in Japan are running about 30 years behind. Even counseling only recently became properly accepted; a large part of my medical work was devoted to fighting against prejudices.
Um, but, doctor, what I wanted to discuss...

Sorry.
Really, the words "battle against prejudice" can also be rephrased as "battle against ignorance". Because, what is the first thing you think about when you hear the word hypnosis?
An object attached to a string swaying in front of my eyes, and the words "You are feeling sleepy now", right?
You're right, that's the typical image. Many people think that hypnosis is some kind of a magic. But this is just what is usually presented as hypnosis in a stage performance, so the very word "hypnosis" itself ends up being misunderstood.

Therefore, I prefer to use the word "trance".
Trance?
We try to use trance as a way of doing psychotherapy. We use the power of suggestion to guide you and find the cause of problems. You can think of it as similar to an X-Ray image. Since its purpose is to investigate the cause, the trance itself has no actual healing powers. An X-Ray image is not going to cure your illness, right? It's the same thing. It's just a delusion that trance is somehow all-powerful.

No matter what I do, I can't make you go rob a bank or something like that, right?
Yes, I guess so.
Those who make the suggestions must have the understanding of what can be done. It's unreasonable to expect that you can be made to do something you don't normally want to do simply through the power of trance. As mentioned, this is not a cure-all. Please keep that in mind to begin with.
Yes.
From here, it gets a bit more complicated.

But what if you're actually a bank robber? Then you might rob a bank regardless of whether I make a suggestion or not. But then, some might still blame me for you robbing the bank.
I guess that might be the case.
This is dangerous territory. Trance is often mistaken for something magical. Even the people who use it sometimes misunderstand. They get into the mindset that this somehow gives them power over others.

It must never happen that the person who works as a therapist abuses the power of suggestion. This is what you wanted to talk about, right?
That's right.
Everyone who comes in here has a wounded spirit. They don't want that weakness to be exploited.
How good is Kakiuchi with the power of suggestion?
He is excellent. He has real flair for it.

Believe it or not, it's time for a "check". But don't worry, it's the only one in this episode!

Hayakawa: Calm and gentle presence. He must be popular with women.

Eyes: Is there a tough hidden side behind that smile looking approvingly at people?

Mouth: Soft and smooth way of telling a story. It's easy to trust him.

Let's pick the first one. I think it most cases it really doesn't matter what you pick as the game will loop you around if there is something that you really have to pick before moving on.

I want to ask you one thing...
Please.
What kind of concern did Harada Yuuko have?
I can't really answer that as it concerns her private life.
Can you not just give me the general gist of things?
It's a bit difficult. What do you want to know?
Is Harada Yuuko telling the truth?
How do you mean?
Well, Mamoru's wife insists that it was all a farce. She believes that Yuuko filed a complaint in revenge for having been rejected by him.
So what about it?
Were romantic feelings invoved?
I don't really know, but I guess there were.

I don't know all the details, but you fired him, right?
I don't know exactly what kind of relationship they had, but there is no doubt that Mamoru was trying to deceive her in some way. The attending doctor at the time also confirmed it. He was obviously trying to take advantage of her for his own goals somehow. Also, Harada Yuuko was not the first time.

I really couldn't forgive him for such behaviour.
How come it was you who made the whole story public?
You mean the newspaper?
Right.
First, I thought that it would be important for Kakiuchi to face "social sanctions". Then, there was also the matter of Harada Yuuko's peace of mind.
Her peace of mind?
Originally, Harada Yuuko was being treated for sexual trauma. But the process of healing that wound caused a new one, and I felt responsible for it. So I thought it should be made public for her sake.
But was it not possible that this would only make the wound even deeper?
It was. However, I decided that it was a risk I had to take.
Did it make sense to do it as a newspaper article?
Yes. I thought it would ease her mind to see that the story was made public. Of course, I asked that her name is referenced only as a pseudonym.

And boy did the reporter do a good job with hiding her real name!

And finally, one last question.
What is it?
Is Dr. Oota Masami still working here?

I tried to get her to stay, but she was deteremined.
Would you please tell me her address? I would like to talk to her.
I can write down the address from back then. She doesn't come here any more.
Thank you very much.

Yes?

Don't worry about it too much, just come over when you can.
Do you think I need counseling?

Well. That was all kinds of enlightening. It is nice that the game also takes a bit more realistic stance towards hypnosis and is trying to go with "well, it's not magic, but Mamoru is just that good at it", which is at least better that what I was fearing would happen.

Anyway, let's head outside and get Dr. Oota's address from the friendly nurse.

Thank you.
Don't thank me, I only did it because I was told to.

We're done here, so let's head back to the office.

What is it?
Well, it's a bit of a weird story. Apparently she was offering monetary compensation to Harada Yuuko.
Oota Masami did?
Isn't it weird? I mean, I would understand if it was Kakiuchi, but...

Where is Oota Masami now?
It seems that she's opened a practice in Shinjuku and is scraping by.
Married?
Divorced her husband years ago. It seems that she is now living together with her son.
Do you have the address?
Here, I wrote it down.

If you look carefully, the address is actually the same one we already got from Hayakawa.

What does her son do?

WHAT! Where does he work?
At Kyouwa World Transportation.

Ha. Which one of them is he, then?

KYOUWA WORLD!
You are right. It is strange.
The name?
Huh?
The son's name?

Wait a minute.

Mayumi, is this address of Oota Masami definitely correct.
Yes it is.

That answers that question I guess, then. Although a minor point of curiosity--so far (as explained by the characters themselves), the name Masaru was written in katakana alone, but when talking about Oota Masaru, presumably his real name, it's actually written with kanji (勝). In any case, we do need to make a choice here, but the game even tells it to you anyway, so...

(It was all devised by Mamoru. It makes sense, although I still need to confirm my reasoning.)

Mayumi, where's Yuuji?
Taking a nap right now. But I can go and wake...
No, it's fine, I need to go out for a bit first.

Our first stop on Ririko's final round of interviews is Harada Yuuko. Maybe finally we can get something out of her!

This is the last time, I won't bother you again, really. Please just tell me one thing. It was Oota Masaru who bothered you, right?
Yes it was.
You were going out with Kakiuchi Mamoru, and he tried to suggest to hand you over to Masaru, right?

All right, last question. Do you want them to be punished for what they did?
I don't care about apologies or compensation, but I don't want anybody to suffer like I did.
Would you go on a witness stand for that?

Thank you. I will try my best to make it happen.

Looks like these two guys were involved in some real creepy stuff here...

Anyway, we have one last person to talk to... Dr. Oota. So, let's go to her house.

*ding dong*

Yes, who is it?
This is Takeuchi from Takeuchi Detective Agency.

I wanted to ask you about the incident with Harada Yuuko.
I see, that thing. Well, what can I tell you?

The person who assaulted her was Oota Masaru, your son. Right?
That's right. It was my son.
You quit Hayakawa Clinic because you knew your son was the culprit?
That's right.
Therefore, even if he was not prosecuted, you tried to give Harada Yuuko a monetary compensation?
That's right.
Tell me a bit about Kakiuchi Mamoru.

He was really ambitious and I thought he was really going to get somewhere. Dr. Hayakawa also noticed his talent.
But?
It was revenge.
Revenge?

What do you mean?
He was also doing counseling as part of his training.
Is that when you noticed his true purpose?
Yes. When he was growing up, his parents owned a prosperous brewery. He was raised very spoiled.

However, when he was 12, his parents separated due to his mother's extramarital affair.

For him, up to the age of 12 was his "true" life. It can be expressed as "the state of things as they should be".

No, I don't know it.
This is what we call a situation when two conflicting demands exist. For example, stroking your head while stomping your foot.

This is how Kakiuchi Mamoru felt he was being treated by his mother.

She was telling him "I love you", but she was also not smiling. The words "I love you" are telling him to respond to affection. But at the meta-language level, he is hearing a refusal like "don't come here". So he doesn't have confidence whether to return the affection or not.
If a mother does this, it can be very confusing and painful to a child, because they don't know how to behave.
Eventually, his mother died, but he could never escape her spell. So his hatred of his mother was replaced by hatred of women in general.
Did you realise that he was playing around with women?
Eventually. Most of the women he was in charge of treating were very keen on him. This not necessarily a bad thing during medical treatment.
But he used his abilities also in his private life?

Yes. I tried to discuss this with Dr. Hayakawa, but he didn't believe me. He only saw him as a genius.
What about your son? How did he come to be involved in this behaviour with Mamoru?

He was always talking about becoming a musician, but how serious was he? After finishing high school, he didn't really try to look for a job.
How did they meet?
I introduced them. At the time, I thought that Mamoru was a model young man and I was convinced if my son became his friend, he would manage to figure things out in life.
Were you aware that they both work for the same taxi company?
Yes, I know.
Did you also know that they are using power of suggestion to coax women?
...No. I didn't know. Is that really true?
It's true. I'm sorry, but I have proof of it.

Mamoru made me a promise, after the Harada-san incident, that he wasn't going to repeat the same mistake again. This is so humiliating.

Can I ask you one thing?
Go ahead.

Today, Kakiuchi Mamoru is maintaining two separate families. And he is deceiving both wives in the same way. It's not something I am able to understand in normal terms.

I can see him doing something like that.
But I don't get why he would do such a thing. Isn't it troublesome? He can never rest. Moreover, why would he deny himself a real family?
It's quite the opposite. He is afraid. He believes that a happy family can collapse in an instant. So he doesn't want to deepen a relationship. Probably he doesn't even want to have children.
But why are there two of them?
As a spare. Even if one of them falls apart, there is still the other one. But I don't know which of the two he considers a spare.
But they are not children's toys...
They are to him.

Even though he's learned to behave in a sophisticated manner, his true nature is still that of a young child.
What will happen if you take away both of his toys?
His world would collapse.

As you can see, after this crazy conversation, we already on the way back to the office!

You said this was going to be an ordinary cheating investigation! Why does everything always seem to blow up like this when you start sticking your nose into it?
I guess I'm just able to get close to the essence of things. It's hard being such a brilliant detective.
Is this the time to be joking like that?
Right, right, it's not. It's time for the final battle, and I'm going to need your help, Yuuji.
What kind of help?
Gather Kanako and Yukiko together and let them talk to each other. Bring them here to our offices and you act as a mediator. The host of tonights show... Kizaki Yuuji. It will be a great event, no?

Right, so I will ask that of you. I will attack Kakiuchi Mamoru.
So the event here is meant more as a preemptive strike, huh?
Discuss everything with them thoroughly. Let them know exactly what kind of person Kakiuchi Mamoru is. Make sure that they cannot be again influenced by him.
What is your plan of attack?
Eh, what can I do? I'll just go out on the field and wing it, I guess.
Well, you throw like a man, anyway, so...
Whatever you say...

Well, enough of that. We need to arrange some extra support for tonight's confrontation. So let's call our friend.

Hello, Kyouwa World Transportation.
Sawada-san!
I can recognise your voice anywhere, hon. Also, do you need something?
Well, something like that. Can you call Kakiuchi Mamoru on the radio?
No need, he came back earlier today. I'll just put him on the phone.
Thank you! Oh, hold on. Can you call me back after on my mobile phone without him knowing?
Oh, I'm so happy! You're finally going to ask me out on a date!
Yeah, something along those lines. Then, later.

A moment later, Mamoru is on the phone.

This is Kakiuchi.
This is detective Takeuchi. I know everything about you. About your double life. About Harada Yuuko. And about your trips to the hotel with your taxi cab. If you don't want to be exposed, you need to talk to me.
Sorry, Takeuchi-san, was it? I have no idea what you're talking about. But we have a colleague here named Kakiuchi Masaru, so maybe you made a mistake?
I want to talk to you. I want to talk to Kakiuchi Mamoru who used to work at Hayakawa Clinic.

I see. Let's talk then. Where should we meet?
Behind your office, there is a children's playground. Meet me there in 30 minutes.
You're a pushy person. But, fine, I'll be there.

Well, I guess it's really time to finish this! Let's go to the playground!

Come down, please.
I like it here. Why don't you come up instead, Takeuchi-san?
Stop messing around!
I'm not messing around. I love monkey bars. Looking from above, the world looks totally different. You should try it.
No. I don't have time for such things.
Adults never do. All you can do is scream from below, "It's dangerous!", "Come down right now!", "You'll injure yourself!". But nobody ever came up to get me down. I guess that's what all adults are like. Or do you think I'm wrong?

You're wrong.
Ahahaha, this is amazing. You're the first one to answer this question negatively! Everybody else doesn't even care and just agrees with me.
I really hate selfish people like you, you know. Why should I agree with someone I don't like?
Feisty girls like you aren't really my thing. Anyhow, you said you already know everything, right?

Probably. Most of it, anyway.
Well, I guess then it would be pointless for me to try and hide it. Let's talk.
Are you recording this?

Oh, no don't do that. Don't reveal everything right away. First you should have said "no", or just shook your head once. When you do like this, then I already know you have a second recorder.

You win, I guess.
Please turn them off and throw them over here.

Thank you.

How do you know that I don't have another?
Huh, I knew it. It's not even on. You weren't even trying to record this from the start. It's just that you always carry two around with you because of your job.
As one would expect.
And you only really need one spare, so there is no need to cary three of them with you. That would be a bit ridiculous, right? Most people tend not to do things which make them look ridiculous.
What an insight. I can already see why Dr. Hayakawa thought so highly of you.
Thank you very much.
By the way, you said that one of them is spare, right?
I did.

So, in your particular case, which one is the spare? Kanako-san? Or was it Yukiko-san?
They are both spares. See, in order to seduce you, I'm giving you direct answers without hesitation. But it does seem a bit difficult.
It's not difficult. It's completely impossible.

Well, I don't know about that. You already seem mentally a bit injured. Maybe you would like to be treated? And here is this quiet room with relaxing music.

So I ask you a question, would you like a light trance or a heavy one. Which one would you prefer?

Just answer the question! Which one is the spare?

Wonderful! Wonderful! By not answering your question, I took the initiative. Now you are realising that and trying to regain the control over the conversation. You're definitely talented, let me tell you.

Answer the question!

They're both spares. I don't love either of them. Is this what you wanted to hear?
You were not serious with Harada Yuuko either, were you?
Correct.
Why did you sell your girlfriend?
To whom?
I'm talking about Kakiuchi Masaru.
His real name is Oota Masaru. Did you know that?

Answer the question!

I see how it is. Well, first of all, calling her my "girlfriend" is incorrect. I never thought of her in that way. Also, I didn't sell her to Masaru. It's just that his skill is lacking. I can't believe that I ended up accused of assault.
But you were.
It's true. But it was all a stupid mixup. I don't even care about it any more.

Well, even if you don't, Harada Yuuko does.

To tell you the truth, she was always a bit like that. She has a strong ego, and is always looking for that special kind of love. She can't love herself, but demands that her partner love her without getting anything in return.
Aren't you like that, too?
How do you figure?

You were not able to get love from your mother. And now you're seeking revenge against all women.
Oh, you spoke with Dr. Oota then, I presume? Academics are just stuck with their noses in books. They accept Freud blindly and think that everything can be explained by way of Oedipus complex.

I am not interested to find out about myself. I also have no interest in finding out what kind of person you think I am.
That's really sad, you know.
Sad?

If you can't love yourself, you can't love others either.

It looks like you're also some kind of an aspiring psychologist then, huh?
So, how did Oota Masaru become Kakiuchi Masaru?
He just listens to everything I say.

And so?

It's a bit easier when you have talent for suggestion. And now there is a man called Kakiuchi Masaru that I am often confused for. Makes it easier to get people to believe.

Why did you choose the two of them?
You mean Kanako and Yukiko?
Yes.

Well, first of all the most important condition is that they are not close to their family, and I mean also geographically. Next is that they are easily susceptible to suggestion. So I just picked those who were responsive. Of course, I also have some preferences regarding looks. This is how I choose my wife.

Do you find this amusing? To play with people's hearts like they are toys?

But isn't it fun? Unlike Masaru, I don't really care about women. I just enjoy the chasing game.
What are you guys doing for money? You have two homes to maintain, so it must cost you a lot.
A bit of light suggestion works for that. We do consider how much the target can pay, though.
Does nobody ever try to resist?
Not really, I guess. We try to not to get too greedy.
You're just so nice, aren't you.
Well, people are just dumb, aren't they?

Well, what to do about all this. It seems like it would be difficult to prove all that you've been involved in doing, doesn't it?
It would be impossible in the first place. There is no evidence. What would even be the crime? Everybody does things willingly.
How about extortion?
What proof do you have?

I will create my own proof. Surely, Oota Masami-san will cooperate.
Even if Masaru admits to it, what does that have to do with me?
Aren't you the one who taught him how to coerce people? I'll get him to testify.

We set up a transmitter on your taxi cab. We took photos of you entering a hotel with passengers in the car.

And also, I did have one. The third recorder, I mean. And it's definitely turned on. Sorry for being ridiculous, but it's my job.

Y-YOU...!
Sawada-san!

I guess I'm the bodyguard. Stay away from the lady.

And well, that's the end of our second chapter! I admit that I got a bit demotivated around the middle, but it seems to me that it managed to end in an interesting way.

This is such a weird game. It makes me wonder even how it ever managed to get published, really. Although it has to be said, that it's definitely more character driven than plot driven, which is not bad as such, but it does seem to result in there being a bit of a lag in the story in the middle of a case. But anyway.

Next time, we'll start on the third chapter. But don't worry, as I already mentioned previously, the characters from earlier chapters reappear in subsequent ones, so at the very least I will tell you that we will be seeing more of Sawada still! I do enjoy the interactions between him and Ririko.

Next time in Chapter 3: Ririko gets her head examined!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have Yuuji's portrait instead of Yuuko's on the "Yes it was." line.

Also hoooly poo poo that ending. The case had really weak parts but it sure picked the hell up there. Ririko completely owning Mamoru was impressive and shows she can actually be competent when she wants to be, and more than one person pointing out she really needs therapy anyways was nice too. The game does seem to know what it's doing, even if it's not quite clear at times, and the music's excellent and has been even more excellent in this update, so I can't say I'm not enjoying this

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Go on a date with Sawada, Ririko. He's the best thing to happen to you recently.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress that escalated like crazy. We went from :geno: to :stare: in record time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

Go on a date with Sawada, Ririko. He's the best thing to happen to you recently.

he seems to be the only person on the planet who enjoys her bullshit instead of merely tolerating it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thankfully that case didn't end as badly as I was worried it would.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder if they actually got paid for all this?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

What a BLAST. That climax is such a delightful ride that shouldn't work nearly as well as it does.

I think my favorite part of Mamoru's serial killer speech at the end is how he writes off the psychoanalysis about him. "Ugh, way to go Freud on me. I'm just me, doing my thing, stop judging me for it."

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wonder if they actually got paid for all this?

I am assuming the two wives or their parents are probably grateful enough to pay to get out of this trance-induced relationship hell, given that the whole investigation was requested as a cry for help more or less.

The backstory exposition dump was a bit heavy-handed but the confrontation after is so delightfully hilarious. All these dramatic flairs like heights, moonlight and an excessively smug speech, then presumably Sawada just walk Ririko away while Mamoru shakes his fist atop monkey bars :j:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have Yuuji's portrait instead of Yuuko's on the "Yes it was." line.

Also hoooly poo poo that ending. The case had really weak parts but it sure picked the hell up there. Ririko completely owning Mamoru was impressive and shows she can actually be competent when she wants to be, and more than one person pointing out she really needs therapy anyways was nice too. The game does seem to know what it's doing, even if it's not quite clear at times, and the music's excellent and has been even more excellent in this update, so I can't say I'm not enjoying this

Thank's I've fixed the mistake.

I like your comment "the game seems to know what it's doing". It does feel that even if there can a bit of a lag in story in some places, that somebody is definitely properly at the steering wheel here and the story has been thought through a bit! Also I think that the second case was definitely more interesting than the first, so hopefully that's a trend that will continue.

I'm glad that everybody enjoyed the ending, because I also though it was done in a pretty fun way. :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The fact it turns out other Masaru is an accomplice and not hypnotized really helps to ground the premise and really adds a believable sleaze factor to it.

And sadly, the Doc is right about how much of a stigma mental health and therapy has in Japan.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah I think we would all have appreciated the pacing not having that giant dead spot in the middle but at least the ending was solidly conclusive.

The image of a guy getting real mad on top of the playground equipment while our protagonist just walks away with her voice recorders is hilarious.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I honestly love the framing - sitting on the jungle gym to literally look down on Ririko and look imposing, but it just highlights how petty and childish he is.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Everything about that final confrontation was great and cinematic, I loved the psych-out bit about having 3 recorders.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like that they demystified his hypnotism. going out to confront him wasn't particularly dangerous, because there was no chance that he could hypnotize someone who was wary of him. and because he was a broke-brained misogynist, he really thought he could talk his way out of it if not outright seduce ririko.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I agree, I was afraid they were going to go there, but nope - Ririko only was in as much danger as anyone confronting a criminal on their own and she brought back up and three recorders.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
hahaha, goddamn, that was great.
I also like how they highlighted another thing about weird misogynist guys like him: they often don't actually enjoy sex, because the way they approach life renders them unable to feel intimacy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
another funny thing was how ririko learned very early on that kakiuchi was a hypnotist, but never bothered to tell any of her team or do any research on the subject. then later she had to laboriously think through exactly how and why all of this was happening.

"hmm, this guy got in serious trouble in the past for abusing trust and manipulating women. but now, who could possibly be responsible for this exact same guy being a bigamist?"
*8 hours later*
"i know! it must be the guy who got in serious trouble for the past for this exact same poo poo and is currently a bigamist!"

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So, I have a bit of a question for everyone here...

In our next chapter, among other things, we'll have to deal with a cipher. Unfortunately, to fully understand how it's deciphered requires knowing a couple of points about Japanese language. Since I've been known to slip into long-winded "linguistical" explanations from time to time, I wanted to see if there is a preference for again a bit of a longer explanation, or if you would prefer to simply take the cipher and the result of its decipherment more or less "as-is", without going into too much detail? Note that either way, the general idea of the cipher will be clear, just to fully understand why there are multiple possible solutions in one case would require some extra detail to be explained for non-Japanese speakers.

So, what say you? :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loving love reading essays punch it, Chewie!

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I loving love reading essays punch it, Chewie!

:yeah:

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Essay! Essay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
This entire game is like a fever dream where like 90% of the characters are a continuation of the same person, helping Ririko with minimal resistance. I hope Sawada joins the detective agency like everyone else we get fired for playing fast and loose with confidential information