Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The most intrepid investigator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

fauna posted:

my new mission is to learn to not give a gently caress. it doesn't come easy to me.

good luck on your new mission

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaM3xP35gLc&t=4026s

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

yeah i was reading the corona thread and apparently nobody can get into alaska without going through canada, so a situation has unfolded where americans are claiming to be alaskans needing to return home, but as soon as they access canadian territory they take off into the pristine plague-free woods and disappear. it is all very strange.

in australia the media of states other than victoria, where the outbreak is right now and all the borders have been closed, are trying to create stirs about secret victorian refugees sneaking through under cover of darkness. it's pretty funny, even though it just goes to show how even the most apparently cohesive country is one bad day away from civil war

All it took was one American sneaking in and infecting a bunch of people on the east coast to start a weird phenomenon where Americans, even if they are now Canadian citizens, are being treated with nothing but disgust and anger. Complete with :getout: signs being stuck to their vehicles and everything.

What a weird time to be alive.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

All it took was one American sneaking in and infecting a bunch of people on the east coast to start a weird phenomenon where Americans, even if they are now Canadian citizens, are being treated with nothing but disgust and anger. Complete with :getout: signs being stuck to their vehicles and everything.

What a weird time to be alive.

heh, guess the canadians were never really as polite and welcoming as they would have liked to think

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in this moment when our country is in a heated debate about the risk of having sex with demons in your sleep, i feel like avs could make a big impact if someone gave her the right platform

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
its so weird to think about back in february when we here in korea were the biggest hotspot in the world and life shut down and now lmao

i spent my last day off going to theme parks and zoos and ancient palaces and fancy restaurants

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Homura and Sickle posted:

its so weird to think about back in february when we here in korea were the biggest hotspot in the world and life shut down and now lmao

i spent my last day off going to theme parks and zoos and ancient palaces and fancy restaurants

post the drat ostrich keets

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fauna posted:

my new mission is to learn to not give a gently caress. it doesn't come easy to me.

I learned too early so it's always weird to see people giving a gently caress and I'm just uncomprehending

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kirk your enthusiasm

https://twitter.com/justinkcomer/status/1288615302960418816?s=19

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

help i can't stop giving a gently caress

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in this moment when our country is in a heated debate about the risk of having sex with demons in your sleep, i feel like avs could make a big impact if someone gave her the right platform
i can't judge anyone on whom they have sex with in their sleep. in my experience, it just happens

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

why the gently caress do i even care about anything lmao i wish i could just amputate that part of myself and enjoy life in hellworld

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fauna posted:

why the gently caress do i even care about anything lmao i wish i could just amputate that part of myself and enjoy life in hellworld

you are clearly cursed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

The Trump administration’s decision to withdraw nearly 12,000 troops from Germany has come under bipartisan attack in the Senate, amid warnings it would disrupt US alliances.
lol uhhhhh

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/30/us-troops-germany-withdrawal-pompeo-senate-grilling?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, one of the few good side effects of Trump's bullshit is that NATO and poo poo are completely absurd things in 2020 and no we don't actually need 12,000 troops in loving Germany.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

V. Illych L. posted:

you are clearly cursed
i am cursed

cursed by being utterly sober for the first time in like five years

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my sanguine shitposting energy came entirely from external sources and now the forums finally see my true self, a bundle of raw nerves wrapped around a black hole of cosmic terror and dread

coronavirus more like nostonervirus

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it seems to rarely be acknowledged outside the designated plague threads that normal forums drama is kind of being exacerbated by outside influences right now. i've been imprisoned in my house for months, like roughly half the people here, and we're the lucky ones. the unlucky ones aren't imprisoned in their houses and have no option to be so. so we're divided into two groups, not just us but the whole population of the covid-savvy internet: the ones who are utterly starved for human contact beyond a handful of wildly inadequate social media outlets, the oldest and most vital of which is actively burning to the ground, and the ones who are out all day slaving in the capitalist plaguelands and waiting for death.

with all that in mind, and with the extra stress of lowtax doing a huge runny poo poo on our sundae, this place is actually holding together pretty well.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

my sanguine shitposting energy came entirely from external sources and now the forums finally see my true self, a bundle of raw nerves wrapped around a black hole of cosmic terror and dread

coronavirus more like nostonervirus

If you lived in Canada your weed supply would be endless.

Downside is you would be living in Canada.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nice that they chose a picture of a literal fictional murderer to represent themselves.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

If you lived in Canada your weed supply would be endless.

Downside is you would be living in Canada.
i think i'd enjoy canada actually. a lifetime in rural australia has prepared me for the worst bits, and i could fulfil my dream of being slain by a moose

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

People still dont believe me that moose are the most dangerous animal in this country.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

vanya would be the world's worst emotional support dog. he is very empathic but his idea of giving emotional support is to crouch by my feet and bleat like some nonsense goat. i taught him well

fauna fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 31, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

People still dont believe me that moose are the most dangerous animal in this country.

fauna fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 21, 2020

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

one of my long-lost cousins was a professional wrestler called moose. he weighed 450 pounds and used to wear a taxidermied moose head into the ring and bellow at his opponents

He would fit right in here then.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

He would fit right in here then.
sadly he now dwells in ghostspace with ariel, such majestic individuals are never long for this world

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

I looked up a list for 1998-2015 and we got and I'm not sure I comprehend the categorization choices:

Moose as second party in traffic crashes: 101
Horse: 41
Wasp: 23
Dog: 21
Cattle, cow, bull: 12
Deer, reindeer, dogs, horses as second party in traffic crashes: 10
Cat: 3
Bear: 1
Adder*: 1
Bee: 1
Ram: 1

*) The only venomous snake we have.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

our famous huntsman spider is actually a timid and non-aggressive creature. by far the biggest proportion of injuries caused by huntsmen are traffic accidents, because they love to sit behind the flip-down shades and then when the shade is flipped they drop into the driver's lap. in one case, a researcher on his way to present on traffic accidents caused by huntsmen had exactly this happen to him and crashed his car on his way to the presentation

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

our famous huntsman spider is actually a timid and non-aggressive creature. by far the biggest proportion of injuries caused by huntsmen are traffic accidents, because they love to sit behind the flip-down shades and then when the shade is flipped they drop into the driver's lap. in one case, a researcher on his way to present on traffic accidents caused by huntsmen had exactly this happen to him and crashed his car on his way to the presentation

That is the most Australian story Ive heard in a long time.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

That is the most Australian story Ive heard in a long time.
every child finds out here at an early age, the first time they try to prod one with a broom, that the drat things can leap like deer

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Have the spider rains slowed down due to climate change or are they still a yearly Australian tradition of terror?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Have the spider rains slowed down due to climate change or are they still a yearly Australian tradition of terror?
i'm pretty sure they're still going. sadly i've never lived in an area that is blessed with spider rains. those are quite small spiders though.

our most dreaded spiders are the redback and the white tail. redbacks are easy to spot, but they like to live in cool damp areas like outdoor toilets. white tails are much more innocuous, hang out inside, and have a necrotising bite like a brown recluse

peacock spiders are our reward for putting up with the rest of them

fauna fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 31, 2020

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh we have brown recluse around here now apparently.

Climate change is going to do fun things with invasive species, especially with how carelessly humans cart poo poo all over the planet.

Also peacock spiders loving own and they dance and are probably the only spider I wont recoil away from in horror.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Oh we have brown recluse around here now apparently.

Climate change is going to do fun things with invasive species, especially with how carelessly humans cart poo poo all over the planet.

Also peacock spiders loving own and they dance and are probably the only spider I wont recoil away from in horror.
peacock spiders are angelic. i have seen exactly one in the wild, on a sapling that i'd planted myself, and it was a peak spiritual moment.

we don't have many invasive spider species here because the natives are good at defending their own turf, although apparently giant south american spiders that stow in on bunches of bananas are a problem in the tropics. we are, however, facing a slow march of cane toads across the country as the warm seasons down south get longer and hotter. i choose to believe it is the foretold plague of frogs, because a plague of actual frogs would be harmless and adorable.

eventually, if i ever find the right connections to let me do this, i want to work with some of the fauna that have proven successful up north at killing the toads without dying themselves - kites, ravens, and rakali, which is like a small Otter. it will take a while for them to get south, and it may be possible to teach these animals how to kill and eat them safely before they arrive so they don't have to go through the bloodbath of figuring it out by trial and error.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

fauna posted:

i think i'd enjoy canada actually. a lifetime in rural australia has prepared me for the worst bits, and i could fulfil my dream of being slain by a moose

yeah you probably would. even rural alberta would be like a little baby compared to rural australia from the sounds of it

also on an unrelated note, when I was in portugal I found out that some 19th century portugese idiot imported a bunch of fauna from australia to portugal, i think the site was even called "new australia." whatever they found enchanting about the eucalyptus tree quickly died off once the trees started exploding and causing massive forest fires that are still a problem to this day.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 31, 2020

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

At least eucalyptus trees burn a cool colour so its not all bad?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Dreylad posted:

yeah you probably would. even rural alberta would be like a little baby compared to rural australia from the sounds of it

also on an unrelated note, when I was in portugal I found out that some 19th century portugese idiot imported a bunch of fauna from australia to portugal, i think the site was even called "new australia." whatever they found enchanting about the eucalyptus tree quickly died off once the trees started exploding and causing massive forest fires that are still a problem to this day.
:negative:

the spread of eucalyptus all over the world is a legit tragedy. i think by now they might have the highest human and animal death toll of any introduced species. and all those countries already had perfectly good timber trees!

acacias are pretty bad too. they're almost as combustible as eucalypts, and because they're a pioneer species they grow really fast and really dense, especially after a fire

fauna fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 31, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

indigenous lore is that all trees are conscious spiritual beings, so it's not that much of a stretch to imagine the eucalypts waking up to find themselves sitting in weird foreign soil far from their homeland and deciding to enact vengeance

one odd displaced eucalyptus story is that a yellow box (eucalyptus melliodora) in hiroshima was the closest tree to the epicentre to survive the bomb blast. not only did it somehow not explode, but it's still alive to this very day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it turns out tree talk is my chill zone