Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I mean after Homer was raped by a panda it was all kinda low

Homer's in a panda suit, I always read it as just the suit getting penetrated, not him himself. Having your main character be anally raped seems a bit much even for Fox?

e: bear in mind, this was before Family Guy really hit its "stride" and this became the network's main selling point, and the Simpsons up to this episode was never that kind of show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Apu is American, he just plumb forgot about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Homer's in a panda suit, I always read it as just the suit getting penetrated, not him himself. Having your main character be anally raped seems a bit much even for Fox?

e: bear in mind, this was before Family Guy really hit its "stride" and this became the network's main selling point, and the Simpsons up to this episode was never that kind of show

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Good joke, but neither indicative of or comparable with panda rape

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The difference is the classic jokes are actually subtle and aren't dwelled on.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Gargamel Gibson posted:

No it doesn't. You should've watched the video that was supposed to prove your point.

Have you ever heard actual examples of backmasking? It never sounds perfect. I very clearly hear “join the nah-vy”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It sounded kinda like it to me in that messed up backwards way but I also knew what to be listening for :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bobjr posted:

In later Simpsons seasons there’s a fair amount of jokes about Milhouse being the product of incest

I think it's a decent joke on a character whose parents were designed backwards from the kid so they look exactly like each other.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

bobjr posted:

In later Simpsons seasons there’s a fair amount of jokes about Milhouse being the product of incest

I sleep in a big bed with my sister

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Piss Meridian posted:

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's quite possible Luanne is Kirk's Shelbyville counterpart, and also his cousin.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's quite possible Luanne is Kirk's Shelbyville counterpart, and also his cousin.

When Milhouse meets his Shelbyville counterpart will always be my favorite Milhouse moment.

"Wait... your name is Milhouse? I thought I was the only one..."

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Piss Meridian posted:

Can I borrow a sibling?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

don't think i didn't see what you did

PostNouveau posted:

Reading between the lines in all the articles about it, Azaria was the one to put a stop to it in the end.

really? i remember watching an interview where azaria was pretty mad at the apu documentary and insisted that he wasn't racist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

His parents met on HornPub

That's a way better joke than they'd come up with now

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

really? i remember watching an interview where azaria was pretty mad at the apu documentary and insisted that he wasn't racist.

Currently it seems if you're white you can go to town with accents on the Irish, Russians, English, Scottish, Italians, French, Germans, Canadians, Aussies etc. all you like because they're mostly Caucasian, but pretend you're from Asia, India, (North) Africa, a Native American, etc. and you might as well have showed up in blackface.

It's not a perfect system, but it sure beats how things were.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had that exact thought haha.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

India was fair game accent-wise right up until a few years ago, for some reason. That one Drawn Together episode that I've posted about before I think was an attempt to call out the hypocrisy of that fact, but it immediately became a perfect example of "u know ironic racism is just racism"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the new DuckTales is the one show that, for the most part, makes an effort to cast authentic voice characters for equivalent ethnicities and origins, with only a few notable exceptions. Hell, they even have Greek voice actors for the Olympian gods. (albeit that might be partly coincidence in that Storkules shares a VA with Mickey Mouse) Probably trying to make up for the Disney Afternoon despite its quality having a lot of dodgy accents and pretty on the nose racism. (and 80s/90s Disney in general)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh? I swear I saw an interview where he was like "I had no idea how much damage it was doing until I saw that documentary."

Edit: I could see him saying both things because that documentary was aimed right at him. He probably felt fairly personally attacked.

Data Graham posted:

India was fair game accent-wise right up until a few years ago, for some reason. That one Drawn Together episode that I've posted about before I think was an attempt to call out the hypocrisy of that fact, but it immediately became a perfect example of "u know ironic racism is just racism"

That entire show is "Ironic biogtry but actually just bigotry"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 31, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

Mapple!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You won't want to miss next episode! Bart gets addicted to Fortnite and,

Actually that's it, that's all we got

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I didn’t know they had the Ren and Stimpy creator do an opening just a few years ago. I don’t know how much of his bad stuff was out then but that seems like it was well known then.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bobjr posted:

I didn’t know they had the Ren and Stimpy creator do an opening just a few years ago. I don’t know how much of his bad stuff was out then but that seems like it was well known then.

That was probably like 10 years ago now.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Much like all of the guest openings, it's terrible, which pairs well with the terrible, unfunny show.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Oh? I swear I saw an interview where he was like "I had no idea how much damage it was doing until I saw that documentary."

Edit: I could see him saying both things because that documentary was aimed right at him. He probably felt fairly personally attacked.

yeah, it could very well be possible both those things occurred. i just remember his initial reaction he didn't take it well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Something about Star Wars and/or Avengers where Bart is the kid that Thor trash talks to over voice in Endgame for trolling his large idiot kiwi rock monster son, but that's probably too sophisticated

Still want to see what a Kingdom Hearts appearance looks like. Probably weird but can't be much worse.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Phlegmish posted:

Bortnite

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

You mean there really is a Bort? Good lard!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Riptor posted:

Bortnite

Binebraft

Bortfight

Blortal blombat

Bleet blighter

Flubble flagon

Hecken 7

Sameboy

Haystation

Fapple

Hotify

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 1, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I read a bunch of Simpsons comics back in the day, giving them another look. They were one of the last comics to still comply with the Comics Code, apparently. Kinda crazy they were contemporary.

ed: Might just be nostalgia talking but they're still pretty funny, also I get more of the jokes now.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 1, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh, the letters page of issue #11 predicted the Dallas joke that Part 2 would make, though I get the feeling that was a recent thing back then. Other suspects in the list are George Burns, Jay Sherman and Lex Luthor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AHH F/UGH posted:

Well regardless, they eventually decided that he's an immigrant from India, so I'd imagine he's going to have an Indian English accent. That's not a bad thing on its own. It definitely helps connect the character to the struggles of immigration and what it means to be American and the cultural clash.

You are incorrect and could find this info very easily via the world wide web

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

You are incorrect and could find this info very easily via the world wide web

I can’t find any info on the World Wide Web where having a character be an immigrant and having their own English accent is a bad thing, help me out here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The episode where Itchy and Scratchy's writers are a bunch of Harvard educated layabouts only capable of talking about going to Harvard and putting out crap, uninspired scripts may have been self-depreciating at the time, but now...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

I can’t find any info on the World Wide Web where having a character be an immigrant and having their own English accent is a bad thing, help me out here

It's not JUST the accent (although it is definitely an offensively stereotypical one on par with Krusty's "me so solly") but the combination of different stereotypes such as him working at a convenience store, being in an arranged marriage, living in a house that looks like someone asked a child what an Indian's house looks like, etc. They easily could have made the Indian immigrant character just be a normal person from India.

Grounds keeper Willy is a great example here. Imagine if the school gardener + janitor was Spanish, spoke in an offensive accent, lived in a Spanish-style house, and had tons of kids. That's what Apu is.

(Admittedly Willy himself also suffers from lots of Scottish stereotypes beyond his accent, like wearing kilts and playing bagpipes and being overly mean. I'm sure the writers have also had him do Highland dancing at some point too. But I guess at least he doesn't live in a castle and drink all the time???)

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 2, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Well, he *is* from North Kilttown.

That said, this is a stupid derail anyways but since the accent is basically the main sticking point for people, I don't think that the Indian English accent is any less valid or worse than English accents from the west. Hell, Indian English is probably the most commonly spoken form of English accents in the world. Literally the closest 7-Eleven to me has a guy there who is an Indian immigrant whose name is Sanjay and speaks a lot like Apu. Sample size of 1, yeah, but it is what it is.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

(Admittedly Willy himself also suffers from lots of Scottish stereotypes beyond his accent, like wearing kilts and playing bagpipes and being overly mean. I'm sure the writers have also had him do Highland dancing at some point too. But I guess at least he doesn't live in a castle and drink all the time???)

Demoman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
apparently in season 22's episode "Flaming Moe" (no relation) it's implied that the Bumblebee Man (another caricature played by azaria) is a furry

And he is an extremely obvious racial stereotype, enough that in other countries they translate it to be a different racial stereotype. In mexico the lines aren't read for racial laughs, just slapstick. In latin america it's dubbed with a mexican accent. in spain it's italian.