Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

awesome story of triumph and the final product looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have definitely used a ceiling medallion to cover some crappy ceiling texture rather than repair it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to sell my house (moved for work) and a buyers inspector found water in the crawlspace, declared we had a burst pipe, and the buyers rightfully asked that we fix that.

I went down and got in the crawlspace and there was a little water (maybe a gallon) but no pipes leaking.

Long story short we found that the shower recently developed a leak so we regrouted it and it's water tight again.

The floor joists are dry and show no damage, and there's just a little swelling in the subfloor. I don't want to tear the shower out and replace the subfloor so I'm considering screwing a fresh piece of plywood under the swollen subfloor and then supporting it by sistering some 2x6 to adjacent floor joists and further supporting it like that.

Any thoughts?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Long story short we found that the shower recently developed a leak so we regrouted it and it's water tight again.

Grout isn't, and isn't meant to be, watertight, so it sounds like this shower needs to be rebuilt. Not that you'll do that to sell the house, just saying.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

B-Nasty posted:

Grout isn't, and isn't meant to be, watertight, so it sounds like this shower needs to be rebuilt. Not that you'll do that to sell the house, just saying.

We also epoxied some cracked tiles.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

We also epoxied some cracked tiles.

On the floor of the shower or high up on the walls? Even before all these new fangled shower waterproofing systems, the oldschool method is a base layer of mortar for general slope, a pan or membrane, then another layer of mortar the tile sits on. The pan/membrane connects into the drain, so you could take a shower in there without ever putting tile down, i.e. the tile/grout isn't necessary for waterproofing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mutata posted:

I loving hate ceiling fans.

Good god yes. PO ripped it out (why, I don't know, house was vacated, short sale, etc.)

I struggled with that mother fucker forever.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

B-Nasty posted:

On the floor of the shower or high up on the walls? Even before all these new fangled shower waterproofing systems, the oldschool method is a base layer of mortar for general slope, a pan or membrane, then another layer of mortar the tile sits on. The pan/membrane connects into the drain, so you could take a shower in there without ever putting tile down, i.e. the tile/grout isn't necessary for waterproofing.

On the floor. It's a 1971 original tile shower.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tactlessbastard posted:

The floor joists are dry and show no damage, and there's just a little swelling in the subfloor. I don't want to tear the shower out and replace the subfloor so I'm considering screwing a fresh piece of plywood under the swollen subfloor and then supporting it by sistering some 2x6 to adjacent floor joists and further supporting it like that.

Any thoughts?
Leave it alone and see what the buyers/inspector says. What you're proposing isn't maybe the worst fix it fast idea ever (assuming that the subfloor is legitimately dry, not just dry looking - a process that takes longer than you might expect), but it's certainly not the correct way to handle it. Inform the buyer of what the issue was, and that you have sealed the shower to the best of your abilities, but are not prepared to demolish and reinstall it for the sale, and that's just the way it is.

Like, no good inspector is going to look at your solution and be like "yep, he got this thing back to 100 percent", so it's not worth doing at this point.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Leave it alone and see what the buyers/inspector says. What you're proposing isn't maybe the worst fix it fast idea ever (assuming that the subfloor is legitimately dry, not just dry looking - a process that takes longer than you might expect), but it's certainly not the correct way to handle it. Inform the buyer of what the issue was, and that you have sealed the shower to the best of your abilities, but are not prepared to demolish and reinstall it for the sale, and that's just the way it is.

Like, no good inspector is going to look at your solution and be like "yep, he got this thing back to 100 percent", so it's not worth doing at this point.

Good points, thanks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am of the opinion that every ceiling electrical box should be fan rated (because it makes future me's life so much easier) unless it is in like, the hallway. I also had a bedroom with no fan, the box was between joists and attached to hopes and dreams. Couldn't quite get one of those extendable box jawns in the cut hole, so I ended up having to crawl in the attic to do it. And then the previous owner clipped the wires super short so there was that too. I am drat hear positive that both the bedrooms that have fans in them don't have fan boxes either and I just can't be bothered with doing that job again any time soon.

I love ceiling fans but hate installing ceiling fans.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am of the opinion that every ceiling electrical box should be fan rated

Also, all switched runs to ceiling boxes should be 14/3 with the unused conductor capped off. Then, if you ever want to switch a simple light to a fan, you can install a double switch to control the motor and light kit separately.

That would cost the electrician an extra $0.25, so forget about it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Also, all switched runs to ceiling boxes should be 14/3 with the unused conductor capped off. Then, if you ever want to switch a simple light to a fan, you can install a double switch to control the motor and light kit separately.

That would cost the electrician an extra $0.25, so forget about it.

The electrician who did my house didn't spare the extra 25 cents. :mad:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Every time I make changes to wiring in my house I use 12/2 because gently caress undersized wiring to save pennies. I've already found 2 wires that had insulation burned away from a prior owner putting too many amps through stuff. At some point I'm replacing the fuse box with a breaker and I'm trying to get ahead of replacing all the wiring.

Most recently I replaced ceiling fan wiring that the insulation had burned off of, and discovered that it was pigtailed to the garage outlet. :stare:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Every time I make changes to wiring in my house I use 12/2 because gently caress undersized wiring to save pennies.

I won't do it for lighting circuits, because 14 gauge is so much easier to work with and easier to deal with box fill limits. Especially with LED lights, where you could probably run the entire house on one 15 amp breaker.

If it's a new home-run and there's outlets and room for deep boxes, absolutely.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Every time I make changes to wiring in my house I use 12/2 because gently caress undersized wiring to save pennies. I've already found 2 wires that had insulation burned away from a prior owner putting too many amps through stuff. At some point I'm replacing the fuse box with a breaker and I'm trying to get ahead of replacing all the wiring.

Most recently I replaced ceiling fan wiring that the insulation had burned off of, and discovered that it was pigtailed to the garage outlet. :stare:

As a part of closing we had the fuse box replaced and the electrician who did it was fine, but did the least work possible. We hired another to update our stove and wiring to 50 amps, add in a circuit for our washer and update our dryer to a 4 wire. The previous homeowners/electrician had separate 3 30 amp fuses somehow going to the stove on undersized wire and when he told me that I seriously made the :stare: face. He clipped and pulled the wires, ran new cable, added in the 50 amp breaker and so far nothing else that is supposed to work isn’t working but like what the gently caress dude? At least they had AFCI/GFCI combo breakers installed on everything.

Anyway that extra overhead is going to be great when I replace our shed and put electric there because I think 65 amps would be plenty.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FamDav posted:

so i left a plastic bottle on my windowsill for a few days and it managed to do this :(. what can i do to fix things here?

Sand the stain off the top edge of the sill, find a close matching stain (this is going to vary by brand, but it appears to be something in the "light" family), apply stain, let dry. Sealing would be optional, but might be nice since this is a window and might get exposed to moisture.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
For larger patches in drywall--think about a California patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUgcf55i4c

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

HycoCam posted:

For larger patches in drywall--think about a California patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUgcf55i4c

Either this or you can but those pre-made patches out of tape and metal mesh. I’ve used those for some decent sized holes.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
What's this plastic device on the exterior of this window frame? I tried searching "Neptune" related home devices but it's such a broad term.

I'll be pissed off it's the CIA's listening device again. :tinfoil:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

melon cat posted:

What's this plastic device on the exterior of this window frame? I tried searching "Neptune" related home devices but it's such a broad term.

I'll be pissed off it's the CIA's listening device again. :tinfoil:

Probably a water meter. This has a similar housing:
https://mobilehomepartspro.com/product/neptune-t-10-touch-pads/

edit: here's the exact one:
https://store.abtwater.com/products/neptune-meter-touchpad

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

B-Nasty posted:

Especially with LED lights, where you could probably run the entire house on one 15 amp breaker.

My house has nearly every ceiling fixture across the 2nd and 3rd floors on the same dumb 15 amp breaker run, plus a bedroom and a half worth of outlets, plus a few bonus outlets like in the pantry. This includes ceiling fixtures in the kitchen, bathroom, living/dining rooms, hallways, stairwells, plus three bedrooms. I don't know how this worked without LEDs.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 31, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

What he said.

THe water meter reader comes and does stuff with that little pad, and then they over charge you for water.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for IDing that thing.

So TeChNiCaLly if I remove it I could get free water for life. Nice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am of the opinion that every ceiling electrical box should be fan rated (because it makes future me's life so much easier) unless it is in like, the hallway. I also had a bedroom with no fan, the box was between joists and attached to hopes and dreams. Couldn't quite get one of those extendable box jawns in the cut hole, so I ended up having to crawl in the attic to do it. And then the previous owner clipped the wires super short so there was that too. I am drat hear positive that both the bedrooms that have fans in them don't have fan boxes either and I just can't be bothered with doing that job again any time soon.

I love ceiling fans but hate installing ceiling fans.

I used the box jaws. The twist was, gee, it just happened to be in the same place an effing duct was.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My attic has just a couple inches of crappy old fiberglass insulation and running the A/C makes our electric bill jumps up an extra $100/a month in the summer. I had a guy quote me $1800 for new blown in insulation & air gap sealing; without breaking out the spreadsheets and R-value calculators would it generally be worth blowing a hypothetical stimulus check on it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Toebone posted:

My attic has just a couple inches of crappy old fiberglass insulation and running the A/C makes our electric bill jumps up an extra $100/a month in the summer. I had a guy quote me $1800 for new blown in insulation & air gap sealing; without breaking out the spreadsheets and R-value calculators would it generally be worth blowing a hypothetical stimulus check on it?

Yes. It's a night and day difference not just in your bills but comfort.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

melon cat posted:

Thanks for IDing that thing.

So TeChNiCaLly if I remove it I could get free water for life. Nice.

No you just have to call in your numbers. The POs cut mine at my house and the town doesn't want to pull down the ceiling to rewire it so I get mailed an estimated bill.. then call them then get a new bill. When I redo the ceiling I'll have them do it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

https://imgur.com/DPVyzlu

What is this style of anchor, and how much of a pain in the rear end will it be to remove them so I can patch it and paint over it properly?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like a hole from the plastic wall anchors that has been filled with caulk or putty. I would try drilling it out with a small drill bit, or prying up an edge on it to see if I could pull it out with needle nose pliers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Put a nail in it, pop it through.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Bioshuffle posted:

https://imgur.com/DPVyzlu

What is this style of anchor, and how much of a pain in the rear end will it be to remove them so I can patch it and paint over it properly?

I'm in the push it into/through the wall and patch the hole.

Your earlier post about mixed mud and flashing--yeah the mixed mud is going to be better at preventing flashing over premixed mud because it drys less porous.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Hell yes! I found an anchor with the screw still in it in the laundry room, so I used the screw to pry the anchors out. Why the hell did the previous owners just paint over it instead of removing it? It wasn't even that hard. I guess next stop is to home depot for some joint compound? Renovision seemed to recommend the 45 compound, so that should be the ticket, right?

I've got the painter coming next week, so I want to take care of this before too late.

The previous owners did some weird poo poo, like painting over nails. https://imgur.com/a/DJim6ES

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My condensate pump is dead; anything to look for / avoid when buying a new one, or is whatever they have at home depot fine?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Toebone posted:

My condensate pump is dead; anything to look for / avoid when buying a new one, or is whatever they have at home depot fine?

Little Giant pumps are pretty much the standard. Reliable and cheap. Can buy them anywhere.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I feel dumb for asking this but based on the utility room photo below... Would you say the dryer is gas, electric, or not enough information to say for certain?

I move in to my first house rental next week, and like a dummy I forgot to check to see which it is. I found this photo from an old listing and I'm hoping I can tell for certain so I can shop for the washer/dryer tomorrow, or I'll have to wait another week till I get more free time. Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Electric assuming that black circle is a receptacle.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Electric dryer based on the plate on the wall with a 240v receptacle on it.

If it were gas there’d be a gas line stub at floor level with a valve and cap on it instead of the large plate and receptacle on the wall.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
There's nothing in the picture to suggest that it is gas but the corner of the room that we can't see is where i would expect the gas line to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

H110Hawk posted:

Electric assuming that black circle is a receptacle.

corgski posted:

Electric dryer based on the plate on the wall with a 240v receptacle on it.

If it were gas there’d be a gas line stub at floor level with a valve and cap on it instead of the large plate and receptacle on the wall.

Awesome, thank you! I went in to a slight panic this evening when I started researching what to buy and realized I didn't know the answer, and I never took a photo of the laundry room.

Corla Plankun posted:

There's nothing in the picture to suggest that it is gas but the corner of the room that we can't see is where i would expect the gas line to be.

Ack. Based on what we can see, would it be safe to say that an electric dryer would work in there?