Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

bicievino posted:

I mean, in recent memory there have been cases of: a) a cougar killing a cyclist in the forest I ride in and b) a prepared person fighting off a cougar.
I take those anecdotes to mean: there is some (albeit small) risk, and it's worth being prepared. Am I missing something?

Because on a bike I’m a minimalist racer and as a general outdoor ethos I try not to pack my fears.

I also don’t really want a can of bear spray or a handgun strapped to me when I know the impacts bike wrecks have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bicievino posted:

I mean, in recent memory there have been cases of: a) a cougar killing a cyclist in the forest I ride in and b) a prepared person fighting off a cougar.
I take those anecdotes to mean: there is some (albeit small) risk, and it's worth being prepared. Am I missing something?

Do you live in Washington or Oregon? Because both those states had fatal cougar attacks in 2018 but they're still very rare. The Oregon attack was the first in the history of the state and the Washington one was the second in state history with the first being in 1924. So it really does not happen all that often.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you
Being prepared for a cougar attack also begs the questions of you carry a snake bite kit in case you get bit along the way too. Also a neck brace and quick clot.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Do you live in Washington or Oregon? Because both those states had fatal cougar attacks in 2018 but they're still very rare. The Oregon attack was the first in the history of the state and the Washington one was the second in state history with the first being in 1924. So it really does not happen all that often.

Washington.

Of the three gravel rides I've done this month, I saw bears on two of them, and one of my (normaltimes) riding buddies saw a cougar on one of his rides two weeks ago.

So like, I get that the risk of an attack is low, but they're certainly out there, especially when I'm going out on logging roads that go into areas that haven't been actively worked in >10 years.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Being prepared for a cougar attack also begs the questions of you carry a snake bite kit in case you get bit along the way too. Also a neck brace and quick clot.

Snake bite kit no, as far as I understand there are no common venomous snakes in the areas where I ride. I do carry a small first aid kit with all the usual, but not a loving neck brace.

I only act like a racer when I'm actually in a race, when I'm enjoying the spirit of gravel I don't mind carrying a bit more to have peace of mind.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Just absolute lol @ using a glock 20 on a bear.

I guess if you want an angry bear it’ll work well. Maybe a .338 win man strapped to the side?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
We had a good run, sprit of gravel guns thread.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Let's avoid guntalk so that I can post ITT in earnest when i finally get a gravel bike in a few years, right before the next trend blows up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I wasn't talking about guns, I live in California.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gonna start handing out sixes for more gun chat

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't know what a six is unless it's a quantity of beer cans.

Here's a few photos of the right g word

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Levitate posted:

Gonna start handing out sixes for more gun chat

Ah yes, hand out probes for something not in the thread rules. Makes sense.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

We can make it thread rules if need be. This is the problem with gun chat though. I know several people posting here don’t want it, I don’t want it, everywhere it happens it turns out poorly, so let’s just not do it one way or the other. The thread doesn’t need it and if you (anyone) really want to do it go make a thread for it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm kinda surprised it took this long for gunchat to crop up, but hey, its here now and fairly mild. I'm going to be talking with JB on how best to handle gunchat in TGO and once we have a rough idea running it past the TGO IKs as well. But for now, lets keep the gun chat to TFR or the hunting threads. Its is going to come up in relation to the outdoors, its gonna be a thing.

Please no more gunchat after this post until we can actually figure out how exactly we're going to handle it in TGO. Users wanting to contribute to a discussion on this topic are free to PM me and I'll make sure your voice is heard. Now, back to your topic of riding offroad which is completely foreign to me since offroad to me consists of very deep fine sand that makes bike riding miserable.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 29, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Now, back to your topic of riding offroad which is completely foreign to me since offroad to me consists of very deep fine sand that makes bike riding miserable.
Sounds like somebody needs a fat bike.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a good sand tire besides just "wider"?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Wider and with low pressure. Essentially: a fat bike tire.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

FogHelmut posted:

Wider, lower pressure (e:f,b). The tires they choose for beach racing in the Netherlands (actually a thing!) are wide slicks.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/bike-check-beach-bikes-egmond-pier-egmond/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it many times now, but there are too many other shiny things that demand my money for now.

EDIT:

VacaGrande posted:

Wider, lower pressure (e:f,b). The tires they choose for beach racing in the Netherlands (actually a thing!) are wide slicks.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/bike-check-beach-bikes-egmond-pier-egmond/

Yeah, but this is DRY deep fine sand. Its like riding in snow and mud combined into one terrible lovely package.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 29, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Some sand can be ridden with narrower tires:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looks like wet fine gravel to me

Also saw goats, turkeys, woodpeckers, and deer this morning on my ride! Will post pics later

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
it doesn't matter if your gravel is tiny like sand or huge like boulders what matters is thatv you ride the gravel. its a broad church and everyone is welcome to ride (the gravel).

here's a handy chart you can print and take along to tell if you have gravel. (its all gravel)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

brush clearing goat herd!

a bit o' gravel!

Turkeys!

A bunch of 'peckers hanging out and banging!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
It's not true gravel but I took a scoot down a mile long closed road today and it's been closed to long that the asphalt is turning into big gravel and there's holes and ruts and puddles all over the place.

I was too busy carefully riding through it on my 25c Vittoria Corsas to stop and take a picture but here's the start.

The streetview car must've gone through there a loooong time ago but here's a good feel and frankly, it's the most exciting stretch I rode today. https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...3!4d-70.9889907

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Interesting test, though I wouldn't call this a scientific study.
https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel/optimal-tire-pressure-gravel/

On smooth and also bumpy rollers, for a single model of 35mm tire, rolling resistance generally decreased going from 30psi to 70psi.

In a pretty unusual rolldown protocol on some actual gravel road, testing at 15, 30, 50, 70, same riders, same tire, rolling resistance was lowest at 30psi, and high at 15 and 70.

I feel like I've noticed this -- feeling super sluggish on asphalt and then when rolling onto gravel, it feels faster all of a sudden.
Note that one of the test riders thought he was going faster at 70psi on the gravel -- he equated getting bounced around on the harder tire with moving faster.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting test, though I wouldn't call this a scientific study.
https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel/optimal-tire-pressure-gravel/

On smooth and also bumpy rollers, for a single model of 35mm tire, rolling resistance generally decreased going from 30psi to 70psi.

In a pretty unusual rolldown protocol on some actual gravel road, testing at 15, 30, 50, 70, same riders, same tire, rolling resistance was lowest at 30psi, and high at 15 and 70.

I feel like I've noticed this -- feeling super sluggish on asphalt and then when rolling onto gravel, it feels faster all of a sudden.
Note that one of the test riders thought he was going faster at 70psi on the gravel -- he equated getting bounced around on the harder tire with moving faster.

If you have a power meter and download Golden Cheetah, you can do your own personalized version of this test on the gravel and tires that you yourself use.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been bringing bear spray most of the time because I was seeing one on like every other ride for awhile. None lately though. Also have a timber bell on my cx bike and sometimes play music on my phone when I don't expect to encounter anyone else which possibly helps.

In riding news, everything is becoming a blur. it's hard to keep track of what day it is. I'm tired and hungry all the time. But I'm keeping pace in our climbing challenge and leading in distance. I've ridden every day since it started July 4th and have 1380mi and 139500ft since then. Here are some pictures from yesterday. I got home at 1030 after doing extra laps on my street to get an even 5k.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fuckin' amazing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It is almost time for me to replace my Gravel King tires, but I am hoping to find something with more supple sidewalls and stupid Jan Heine doesn't sell overprice 650bx38 tires with the tubeless bead.

Do any of you have some recommendations for other tires that tick these boxes?:
-584x38 - I might be able to fit 40, but that is pushing it.
-Tubeless compatible - I'm a little more keenly aware of my mortality and don't want to just make non-tubeless tires work anymore.
-slick - or close enough to it to not give road buzz.
-tan sidewalls - not a hard requirement, but I would be sad without it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

It is almost time for me to replace my Gravel King tires, but I am hoping to find something with more supple sidewalls and stupid Jan Heine doesn't sell overprice 650bx38 tires with the tubeless bead.

Do any of you have some recommendations for other tires that tick these boxes?:
-584x38 - I might be able to fit 40, but that is pushing it.
-Tubeless compatible - I'm a little more keenly aware of my mortality and don't want to just make non-tubeless tires work anymore.
-slick - or close enough to it to not give road buzz.
-tan sidewalls - not a hard requirement, but I would be sad without it.

I just went through this hunt and I don't think there's anything else in that width, 650b, and tubeless.
That said, I guess I'll have to commend you for being a more sensitive rider than me - I've used the compass and gk slicks in identical sizes and I'll be damned if I could tell a difference in suppleness with them. I'm curious how you'd describe what it is you're noticing - I am intrigued as to why I can't feel it. Maybe something about my frame?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

I'm curious how you'd describe what it is you're noticing
I was using some of the old stock Pacenti Pari-Motos from back when granary cycles was selling off all their stock for cheap. I would say the way I feel it is that I am less keenly aware of my air pressure.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

g-one speed goes down to 650bx40 (I have the 60mm and they're a little undersized). I'm not sure about the sidewall color situation.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

The SimWorks Volummy ticks the list, but I would be shocked if it was more supple than the GK with their listed weights.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
First we had to add guidance about limiting gun chat.

You all keep this up and I'm going to crack down on chat about tires under 40 :colbert:

(I'm just kidding, the spirit of gravel welcomes all, you do your thing. I will add that my GKs in 50 are very supple)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

PabloBOOM posted:

You all keep this up and I'm going to crack down on chat about tires under 40 :colbert:

(I'm just kidding, the spirit of gravel welcomes all, you do your thing. I will add that my GKs in 50 are very supple)

Lachy would like to have a word regarding tires and gears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cilFUlCxqM8

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PabloBOOM posted:

my GK 50s :colbert:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FireTora posted:

The SimWorks Volummy ticks the list, but I would be shocked if it was more supple than the GK with their listed weights.

The simworks volummy is a GK slick except with a slightly different color sidewall.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

The simworks volummy is a GK slick except with a slightly different color sidewall.
The published weight did make me raise an eyebrow. Maybe with packaging? If what your saying is true, I do like that color better.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

e.pilot posted:

my GK 50s :colbert:

And they're spectacular. :tipshat:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

The published weight did make me raise an eyebrow. Maybe with packaging? If what your saying is true, I do like that color better.

Hmm, they said as much on a radavist post at one point, but you're right the listed weights are wildly different when I check today. Feeling less sure now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, this instagram post about them gives a bit more info. Sounds like the GK are more supple since they made the sidewalls thicker for a more durable tire and better tubeless I guess, hence the extra weight.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmclwxfAfPs/?hl=en