Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In the bearing industry, that's what we call right hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kastein posted:

Turns out pinion bearings really prefer it if you keep the oil topped up

That's a spicy pumpkin.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Data Graham posted:

The selection of languages of the official signage in the NYC subways always makes me blink. English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Haitian Creole

It’s an amazingly cool sort of Rosetta Stone.

Efb by Boston dammit

They should just go full Esperanto.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

kastein posted:

Hmm, the low grease light is on.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

redgubbinz posted:

Hmm, the low grease light is on.

oh is that what this is

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a spicy pumpkin.

Dominic!
How could you!!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm not sure if this car is blessed or cursed. Blessed for breaking down in non-catastrophic ways and in convenient locations so I never had to get it towed anywhere. Cursed for breaking down in somewhat expensive ways and turning into more of a money pit.

https://i.imgur.com/sPG3sFB.mp4

So that's why my brake pedal was so soft. :jebstare:

And I drove on those brakes for 10 miles getting it to a shop to do an oil change and a visual inspection. Didn't expect this to show up in the inspection but that's why I was having it done and this is the best place for it to show up. Unfortunately, it turns out Subaru no longer stocks brake lines for this car. So on top of having to fabricate brake lines and replumbing that entire run, that brake job alone is going to cost me $1000.

At least everything else on the car besides the aforementioned problems check outs and I don't have to deal with the exhaust until September 30th.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Edward IV posted:

I'm not sure if this car is blessed or cursed. Blessed for breaking down in non-catastrophic ways and in convenient locations so I never had to get it towed anywhere. Cursed for breaking down in somewhat expensive ways and turning into more of a money pit.

https://i.imgur.com/sPG3sFB.mp4

So that's why my brake pedal was so soft. :jebstare:

And I drove on those brakes for 10 miles getting it to a shop to do an oil change and a visual inspection. Didn't expect this to show up in the inspection but that's why I was having it done and this is the best place for it to show up. Unfortunately, it turns out Subaru no longer stocks brake lines for this car. So on top of having to fabricate brake lines and replumbing that entire run, that brake job alone is going to cost me $1000.

At least everything else on the car besides the aforementioned problems check outs and I don't have to deal with the exhaust until September 30th.

The PO of that car needs to be banned from ownership

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

meltie posted:

The PO of that car needs to be banned from ownership

To be fair to Imperador do Brasil, the brakes were totally fine during the test drive, when I drove the car 160 miles home, and I commuted with it 50 miles round trip every other day until the turbo oil line blew about two weeks later. I mean the double washer and twisted line is sketchy but, unless I'm missing some important details, that leak is likely a result of 200,000+ miles of PA/NJ salt and the car not driving for almost four months straight because of the busted driveshaft and I was too busy to get the whole car looked at until now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a very common brake line failure on Subarus. It takes an hour or two and 50 bucks in materials to fix, you put unions under the back seat where the rust stops. Use cunifer line and it will last the life of the car.

The "double washer" looks like a flange head bolt and a single washer to me but I can't be certain of that.

The rest is stuff that needs fixing but honestly isn't that hard or expensive to fix right.

Is the car worth it? How are the rear strut towers? They rot out on my era Forester and I would be surprised if they don't on yours too. One of mine is about to explode, it's already got a 3/4" wide crack in it and has moved, so I've parked it while I decide if it's worth welding scrap metal onto it to get another few months out of it or if a Gambler 500 team is getting it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
E:^^^^ Yeah, that looks like a flange bolt to me too.

Brake flex lines can usually be made at a shop that makes hydraulic hoses too. I think all you need is the fittings and they should be able to match them up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The rubber lines for that car are almost certainly under 20 bucks each from rockauto. The prebent metal body lines are the ones he's talking about I think, and replacing them that way is overkill for one, more involved for two, and more likely to rust out again than just using cunifer fabricated on the car, for three.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PO of the Forester checking in here. That car passed PA safety inspection every year at a reputable shop in all the years I owned it. There was never a brake fluid leak or any other major issue like that, but it’s a 230k mile Subaru that lived it’s entire life in the northeast. I had no issues with the car (it was my wife’s daily driver until she got a truck) and I did tons of preventive maintenance and rust repair on it and stored it indoors. Clutch, flywheel, all new struts, etc. I’m just chiming in to say that the car was in no way unsafe when I sold it. Take it for what you will but again, I never had any reliability or safety issues with the car.

I admit the hoses by the intercooler aren’t the optimal or prettiest solution to a brittle hose but they’re also not exactly a safety issue.

Is this the same shop that didn’t know where the catalytic converter is?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 16, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

PO of the Forester checking in here. That car passed PA safety inspection every year at a reputable shop in all the years I owned it. There was never a brake fluid leak or any other major issue like that, but it’s a 230k mile Subaru that lived it’s entire life in the northeast. I had no issues with the car (it was my wife’s daily driver until she got a truck) and I did tons of preventive maintenance and rust repair on it and stored it indoors. Clutch, flywheel, all new struts, etc. I’m just chiming in to say that the car was in no way unsafe when I sold it. Take it for what you will but again, I never had any reliability or safety issues with the car.

Is this the same shop that didn’t know where the catalytic converter is?

No, this is a Subaru specialty shop near where I live. I mentioned the problem I had getting it to pass inspection and they said that NJ requires two cats. They also recommended that I take this to an exhaust shop since they themselves work with high flow cats that wouldn't fit and would be more expensive than necessary. This was before they actually looked at the car but that's the least of my worries right now between the severity of the brakes and the inspection deadline being extended to the end of September.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

:munch:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

The rubber lines for that car are almost certainly under 20 bucks each from rockauto. The prebent metal body lines are the ones he's talking about I think, and replacing them that way is overkill for one, more involved for two, and more likely to rust out again than just using cunifer fabricated on the car, for three.

That's the rear hard lines, right? You probably can't install replacement hardlines without dropping the gas tank anyway. You just route the new one a bit different and it's fine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sure looks like it, yeah.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Reminds me of when the hardline on my Mustang blew.

It happened 95% of the way home after I returned from 6 months onboard a submarine, in no mood to deal with car poo poo I drove it 2 miles to Mineke, they quoted me <$200 and said it'd be ready in 4 hours.

I went back to get it (landlord picked me up and drove me home/back) and they're like "yeah, we bent up some hardline for you and replaced it, but the soft lines an your RF/LR calipers and soft lines are about to fail (true), we'll take care of those too for $1100!" I lol'd and spent another $300 at Autozone and 45 minutes in labor to replace the rest of it.

TL;DR shop prices for brakes can vary wildly and ridiculously.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
After moving from NJ to NC I don't know why anyone in the NE buys a used car in the NE. I have a 2006 Forester and bolts that were tightened in Japan come right off with a 3/8" ratchet.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

FatCow posted:

After moving from NJ to NC I don't know why anyone in the NE buys a used car in the NE. I have a 2006 Forester and bolts that were tightened in Japan come right off with a 3/8" ratchet.

Yep. I was replacing headers on my 35 year old car for which they sell rigs for drilling out frozen studs. Mine came out by hand. God bless Texas-only ownership. :patriot:

Meanwhile my Ohio based 35 year old car took a sawzall. I could barely identify the nuts on the original exhaust so I just took it out in sections.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Jiminy-fuggin'-Christmas.

slidebite posted:

In the bearing industry, that's what we call right hosed.

ANY industry would call that right hosed.

Raluek posted:

oh is that what this is

0.o

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"rolled in for a regular service, noticed that the last guy to work on it had left me a present"

poor bastard is probably still making payments on that thing

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I've certainly never done anything like that...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FatCow posted:

I have a 2003 Outback... that spent half of its life in Canada. Bolts still pop right off with little effort. Fucker even has the original muffler (rattles a bit, but hey, going by the build date, it's old enough to drink/smoke in most countries.. and it definitely smokes a little).

.... okay, the Canada time was in the part where they don't use salt. :v:

I've had two NE cars. I told myself never again after the first one. Then my ex bought a car for me. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I think I found the problem.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Polish posted:

I think I found the problem.

before I zoomed in it looked like busted up firewood.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

<no_no_god_no.GIF>

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Was that a leaf spring? If so, it's taken the "leaf" part to heart and is returning to nature.

Not even joking, I don't recognise that thing. My leaf-sprung car has plastic leaf springs.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It kind of looks like a transmission mount that I saw recently in Baja and thought "that doesn't look stock".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It looks like half a leaf spring. I'm curious what the Dodge pillow bearing is for too, PTO shaft?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Leaf springs from a Zamboni. They apply torque to the cutting blade. They were not applying much torque.

And the other thing is a bearing for the horizontal auger shaft.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That was not what I was expecting that to be from.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yup.. I had a thread about it a while ago when I was still learning. Everyone here helped me out a lot and now I know the machines inside and out. Lots and lots of mechanical destruction due to abuse, age of the machines, and conditions. Those leaf springs are 24 years old and I discovered one was broken in October. Can't really do this repair in season since it takes a while and covid hosed everything up.

New go fast parts:

Those square head bolts on the ends were applying tension to the leaf springs. They are a mother fucker to remove (6 foot cheater bar with a pipe wrench...it bench my harbor freight box wrench).

The main failure for the original leaf springs.. guy driving hit an ice tit, which is a build up of ice we sometimes get when the weather transitions and water drips from the ceiling. Which actually bent the horizontal auger at the end which then smashed the leaf spring band and destroyed it. It ran without that band for years until I discovered, much to my surprise, that the leaf spring cracked like it did.

Polish fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 31, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So, uh, where do you source parts for a Zamboni?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm assuming Canadian Tire.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

It looks like half a leaf spring. I'm curious what the Dodge pillow bearing is for too, PTO shaft?

Flange bearing :eng101:

Ask for a 1" pillow bearing you'll get a different type of creature.

That's a fairly high-end one too, that locking mechanism is a step above setscrews and collars which are likely to damage the shaft.

Did you replace the bent screw (auger?)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Colostomy Bag posted:

The manufacturer, which would probably be Zamboni, Resurfice, or Engo. A bunch of the running gear of older rigs is pretty standard automotive components.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

slidebite posted:

Flange bearing :eng101:

Ask for a 1" pillow bearing you'll get a different type of creature.

That's a fairly high-end one too, that locking mechanism is a step above setscrews and collars which are likely to damage the shaft.

Did you replace the bent screw (auger?)

Hammered it back into its relative original shape.

Source most of my parts from a distributor that services the entire north east. Either that or Autozone. These machines are Volkswagen 1.8T so parts are pretty common. Biggest issue is the cooling system which seems to fail every month.

Polish fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 31, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Polish posted:

Biggest issue is the cooling system which seems to fail every month.

Ironic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The manufacturer, which would probably be Zamboni, Resurfice, or Engo. A bunch of the running gear of older rigs is pretty standard automotive components.

:eng101:

The original Zamboni prototype, and all production models until the HD series starting in 1964 were modified Willys Jeep chassis and running gear.

I have literally no idea why I know this. I don’t skate. I’ve never skated. I grew up and live in a place where water doesn’t freeze outside.

:shrug: