Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Fangz posted:

At least it looks neat!

Yeah it was cool in a dystopian Geiger-esque nightmare way.
Oh well what took hours to build took only 5-10 mins to take down.
New system performs the same function but is somewhat lighter on space and framerate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I probably shoulda used a train or something, but i built a 5 lane pipeline to bring 1500 cubes of that good stuff to my base.

gonna make so much fuckin rubber.

I just wish the MAM would stop giving me recipies for loving steel plates.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I spent a while hunting hard drives for the alternate Heavy Oil Residue recipe. It turns out I already had it but I couldn't find it in the "unpackaging" section of the refinery recipe selector.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I like conveyors

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Powershift posted:

I probably shoulda used a train or something, but i built a 5 lane pipeline to bring 1500 cubes of that good stuff to my base.

gonna make so much fuckin rubber.

I just wish the MAM would stop giving me recipies for loving steel plates.

You could probably get rid of most of those pumps and save yourself a lot of power overhead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

You could probably get rid of most of those pumps and save yourself a lot of power overhead.

The perspective might make them look close, but each one has ~20m of head lift. I used the ramps to calculate the spacing, and ended up a little over on each but they flow completely.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Powershift posted:

The perspective might make them look close, but each one has ~20m of head lift. I used the ramps to calculate the spacing, and ended up a little over on each but they flow completely.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was a ramp. IGNORE ME

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can get rid of 4/5ths of the pumps with a water tower (or in this case oil tower).

Klyith posted:

It does, but it's the other way: the game's approximation is really generous in the other direction. Head lift is totally independent of flow rate, and the maximum height value is "contagious" to every pipe it connects to. You can use a single extractor on a high place, or a water tower fed by a single set of pumps, to pressurize an infinite amount of other pipes fed by low-elevation extractors to the same height.

videos on the subject one two

IRL these would be perpetual motion machines.

So what you'd do is take one of those lines and go straight up however many meters to a buffer container, using one set of pumps. Then that line comes straight back down the tower, and you put junctions between it and each of the other 4 lines. Now all 5 lines have the same amount of lift as was produced by all the pumps.

I believe the downside to water towers is that because you have those junctions between pipes, there's some uneven flow / "slosh" between the pipes. I've made some water towers, but haven't really stress-tested them. Possibly the pipelines might have trouble delivering their full 300 m3/m rate due to that. So far I just use them for water delivery to coal plants, where you always have more pipe than your maximum draw so there's plenty of slack.

Also I think there are ways to prevent / reduce slosh with pumps and buffers at the usage side, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Klyith posted:

Also I think there are ways to prevent / reduce slosh with pumps and buffers at the usage side, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

Pumps act as one-way valves, even when unpowered, so one more set of those should be enough the prevent the liquid from flowing the wrong way-

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tamba posted:

Pumps act as one-way valves, even when unpowered, so one more set of those should be enough the prevent the liquid from flowing the wrong way-

They also reset head lift on the other side to zero when unpowered, so you can only use them like that when pipes are horizontal or moving downhill afterwards. And when powered they I'm pretty sure they reset to their 20+2m head lift, no matter what the previous pressure was. Haven't tested that, but it would make sense with how pumps don't stack pressure normally.

Pipe slosh happens because if you have a junction with for example 4 pipes connected, and one pipe gets drawn from the other end, all 3 other pipes can feed it. Even if only one is connected to a "supply". Pressure isn't simulated. And pipes aren't airtight, fluid level can be reduced anywhere. Supplies and consumers (ie a water extractor and a coal generator) have internal buffers with one-way valves, so a coal gen will never drain water from backfeed. But the effect can reduce the effective delivery rate of a pipe to less than the 300 m3/m max.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I present to you one of the most important and ground breaking new technologies and creations in Satisfactory:

The Slug Exercise Track. Also known as "what me and my buddy find absolutely hilarious when it's 3 AM and we're both tired and getting kind of loopy".

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Alkydere posted:

I present to you one of the most important and ground breaking new technologies and creations in Satisfactory:

The Slug Exercise Track. Also known as "what me and my buddy find absolutely hilarious when it's 3 AM and we're both tired and getting kind of loopy".

Nice. I had to think for a minute to figure out how you did that. Did you drop a slug from your inventory onto the “ground” while standing over the conveyor? How many tries did it take to get the angle right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LLSix posted:

Nice. I had to think for a minute to figure out how you did that. Did you drop a slug from your inventory onto the “ground” while standing over the conveyor? How many tries did it take to get the angle right?

Nope. Build the track, a storage container, use a belt and merger to transfer the item(s) you want onto the track then dismantle the unwanted belt/merger/container.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Alkydere posted:

Nope. Build the track, a storage container, use a belt and merger to transfer the item(s) you want onto the track then dismantle the unwanted belt/merger/container.

Oh, that’s way cleverer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't think there's any way to get items onto a conveyor other than the output of a container or machine, you can't drop things onto them.

New idea: make some conveyors in the shape of a cool S, to display all my cool S rocks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So did they change how fluid dynamics work or am I missing something fundamental about this water tower idea. I set up an oil industry like a week after pipes were added into the game, and I tried to do a water tower system because it made intuitive sense. I pumped my oil up to a big storage container at the processing facility, and then ran a long-rear end pipe down across perfectly flat terrain (the beach) to my base.

The oil did not make it to my base. I had to put pumps along the flat part to keep it going, even though it should have been "pressurized" by my oil-tower.

Is that old behavior or am I missing something about the concept of fluid dynamics in this game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Eiba posted:

So did they change how fluid dynamics work or am I missing something fundamental about this water tower idea. I set up an oil industry like a week after pipes were added into the game, and I tried to do a water tower system because it made intuitive sense. I pumped my oil up to a big storage container at the processing facility, and then ran a long-rear end pipe down across perfectly flat terrain (the beach) to my base.

The oil did not make it to my base. I had to put pumps along the flat part to keep it going, even though it should have been "pressurized" by my oil-tower.

Is that old behavior or am I missing something about the concept of fluid dynamics in this game?

There aren't any fluid dynamics. It's all just numbers. If your pipe starts at a certain height, it can go back to that height. But there is also drop off with horizontal travel. So if your flat pipe was long enough, it would need pumps to get more length.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There aren't any fluid dynamics. It's all just numbers. If your pipe starts at a certain height, it can go back to that height. But there is also drop off with horizontal travel. So if your flat pipe was long enough, it would need pumps to get more length.
I mean, I know we're talking about "fluid dynamics," the game's very rough approximation of how fluids work, not actual fluid dynamics.

Doesn't the fact that there's a drop off with horizontal travel defeat the advantage of most water towers though? If you have to build a water tower right next to the place you want the fluid to end up, you might as well just pump it where you want it.

I guess it's all about throughput shenanigans? You pump it up once, let it flow back down, and it can pressurize multiple additional pipes up or whatever?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not even a rough approximation of how fluids work. It's just numbers. It's just about how many meters above the source you are and how many meters away you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eiba posted:

I guess it's all about throughput shenanigans? You pump it up once, let it flow back down, and it can pressurize multiple additional pipes up or whatever?
Yeah, that's the only reason to make a water tower.

If you need a single pipe there's no difference between putting your pumps in a tower and stringing them along the pipeline. For long horizontal runs they might even be less efficient. Plus water towers are mildly annoying to build, especially if you want them to look nice.

OTOH if you need multiple pipes, the water tower saves a lot of pump power.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So, delivering fluids to a fluid tower via train is probably going to be less power-intensive than using pumps, and also allows you to custom-site your tower over your production area.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Super newbie sanity check: when I have to spend a couple of minutes manufacturing stuff by hand, like say turning biomass into solid biomass, is that a good indication I should to build a construction building for that transformation to automate it away? Or is it pretty normal to still have to do a ton of manual transformations at Tier 1/2 ?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

DreadCthulhu posted:

Super newbie sanity check: when I have to spend a couple of minutes manufacturing stuff by hand, like say turning biomass into solid biomass, is that a good indication I should to build a construction building for that transformation to automate it away? Or is it pretty normal to still have to do a ton of manual transformations at Tier 1/2 ?

The whole point is to automate everything you can, so yeah. Early on I set up some storage containers feeding into constructors, one for leaves, one for wood, and then those feed into another constructor to make solid biofuel. It expands easily, and you just dump your trash in the bins and let it do its thing while you do more important poo poo: make more factory

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I do a lot of manual early on out of lazyness and power/material limitations, but at some point it might be good to set up some kind of semi-auto biomass stuff so you can just collect & dump into containers and spend more time doing other stuff.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Oxyclean posted:

I do a lot of manual early on out of lazyness and power/material limitations, but at some point it might be good to set up some kind of semi-auto biomass stuff so you can just collect & dump into containers and spend more time doing other stuff.

Yeah, this is huge. Especially when you get the chainsaw.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

necrotic posted:

Yeah, this is huge. Especially when you get the chainsaw.

Is the idea that the chainsaw + solid biofuel enables you to gather fuel a lot faster and more efficiently, so you can start building more burners to automate more stuff?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is the idea that the chainsaw + solid biofuel enables you to gather fuel a lot faster and more efficiently, so you can start building more burners to automate more stuff?

Yes. The chainsaw makes it much faster to collect biomass, and you'll get so much you definitely won't want to handcraft it. It's also your first tool to really clear terrain for building on. (The second tool for that are the bombs/Nobelisks.)

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
gardening with high explosives is a real pro strat, ngl

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

gardening with high explosives is a real pro strat, ngl

My enjoyment of the game reached a new high when I started carrying a couple stacks of nobelisks. Truly the Swiss army knife of Satisfactory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Setting up a full production chain for biomass power is IMHO wasted effort. You can easily unlock coal power with a lightweight starter iron factory that only needs like 6-7 biomass burners to run. Once you have coal you will pretty much never need biomass again*. Trying to automate biofuel -- the one part of the game that has inherent manual labor -- is swimming against the current.

*(Exception: a stack of 200 biologs lasts longer as vehicle fuel than anything but turbofuel, so use that for your personal car.)

Converting leaves and wood into biomass is super quick, do that by hand. Biomass to solid biofuel is slow, so have 1 assembler to do that while you're working on other stuff.

One thing I do early game is have one Miscellaneous Stuff Constructor. That's one constructor and a storage box, with conveyor looping input & output into a circle. "How does that work?" I hear you ask. Well, conveyors attached to storage boxes try to fill from the top-left, and they draw items from the bottom-right. You can use this to have a constructor do jobs that are bigger batches than just hand-feeding input & output, but not yet fully automated with a dedicated production line. Like so:

□□□□□□□□
□□□XBBBB
BBBBBBBB

That's your container with a bunch of biomass stacks you've collected on the bottom, and empty space on the top. The X is one stack of whatever you might want the constructor to make next -- I often use rods as my "stopper" and make a stack of rebar gun ammo between runs of other jobs, if I don't have anything else. So you tell the constructor to make solid biofuel, and it will process all 12 stacks of biomass into biofuel. Pre-loading something useful means you don't have to rebuild the conveyor every time to clear the input. Most of the time it makes biologs, but it's also good for small runs of early quartz and quickwire to unlock the MAM trees early.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now I just want to make an extension for my warehouse that will refine biofuel so I can just throw whatever junk is clogging my inventory and let the system take care of it.

E: Hell this will also be nice in getting rid of mob drops since those clog up The Sink

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I built a solid biofuel shed near my burners and it really helped in that transition to coal power. I was doing sulfur and quartz exploration and coming home with tons of animal parts, wood, and leaves. Once you've got a mini-factory set up for it, you realize how much fiddly downtime you've saved yourself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, the moment I get solid biofuel and mergers I build myself a bog standard biomass producer. A container/constructor each for leaves, wood, and maybe mycelium depending on where I set up shop. A combined container for biofuel, and then another constructor and a slowly growing stack of containers for solid biofuel that one day is pumped into a refinery to make liquid biofuel.

And then after I get a couple stacks of spare organs/carapaces each I'll turn one of the constructors to dealing with those for a while.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

drat, preparing the first payload for the space elevator takes forever. I suspect that operating on one single iron extractor by tier 3 is no longer feasible, huh?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

drat, preparing the first payload for the space elevator takes forever. I suspect that operating on one single iron extractor by tier 3 is no longer feasible, huh?

Well, um, if you're doing a minimalist run, sure? And if the node's pure (producing 120 iron/minute).

But once you get to the steel age you kinda want ALL of the iron ore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Operating on a single iron miner isn't viable as soon as you get the materials to build & power more than one. There's a reason iron deposits come in clumps of 3-4 (unless you're in the dune desert, in which case there are just a zillion spread around all over).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Klyith posted:

One thing I do early game is have one Miscellaneous Stuff Constructor. That's one constructor and a storage box, with conveyor looping input & output into a circle. "How does that work?" I hear you ask. Well, conveyors attached to storage boxes try to fill from the top-left, and they draw items from the bottom-right. You can use this to have a constructor do jobs that are bigger batches than just hand-feeding input & output, but not yet fully automated with a dedicated production line. Like so:

□□□□□□□□
□□□XBBBB
BBBBBBBB

That's your container with a bunch of biomass stacks you've collected on the bottom, and empty space on the top. The X is one stack of whatever you might want the constructor to make next -- I often use rods as my "stopper" and make a stack of rebar gun ammo between runs of other jobs, if I don't have anything else. So you tell the constructor to make solid biofuel, and it will process all 12 stacks of biomass into biofuel. Pre-loading something useful means you don't have to rebuild the conveyor every time to clear the input. Most of the time it makes biologs, but it's also good for small runs of early quartz and quickwire to unlock the MAM trees early.

I was wondering how this worked thank you

tbh tho, doing a container with biomass->constructor->biomass logs is pretty easy on its own, but I like knowing how the order of items leaves/enters containers.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Klyith posted:

Operating on a single iron miner isn't viable as soon as you get the materials to build & power more than one. There's a reason iron deposits come in clumps of 3-4 (unless you're in the dune desert, in which case there are just a zillion spread around all over).

Ah, gently caress my life. I built the hub super close to the mines since it was my first playthrough and now I'll have to uproot a bunch of stuff to make more room for multiple miners. Is that pretty normal in the game?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ah, gently caress my life. I built the hub super close to the mines since it was my first playthrough and now I'll have to uproot a bunch of stuff to make more room for multiple miners. Is that pretty normal in the game?

Yes, especially your first playthrough. It took me many many hours to appreciate the scale & width I should be building at. Until you get more experience it's hard to build a factory that's naturally expandable.

Though you can also move the Hub, it's not locked in place forever, and disassembling it won't remove any progress. Even partially complete objectives. You get an item that can rebuild the Hub.

Also note that you can tap or hold CTRL while in disassemble mode to deconstruct multiple things at once. Tearing down a factory is easy: just build a tower to get a good vantage and wave your mouse around to do 50 things at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you started in the grasslands do yourself a favor and start over.

The game is designed to constantly gently caress you in the rear end and waste your time in unfun ways no matter what you do, the new player experience is terrible, but grasslands is really, really bad and the longer you play there the more you'll regret it.