Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

Having played Skyrim on PSVR and thinking it was pretty good other than the limitations of the controllers/blurry visuals, what makes FO4 worse than Skyrim?

FO4 wasn't handled anywhere near as good as skyrim. Beyond the massive performance issues, at release things like scopes didn't work, and the most insane bug was the skybox height was set at like, 10 feet, which lead to this horrorshow optical illusion during the nights where trees and buildings would be above the sky, but not. How something that basic ever got past testing I'll never know.

Basically bethesda handled skyrim themselves for a big psvr release, and they just passed off FO4 to someone else to like fart out a barely working port in a week.

EDIT: Though I should say I have no idea how much if any has been fixed over time. Maybe its functional now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It kind of hasn't. Mods and ini tweaks fix a lot of egregious issues but the performance is still terrible and VR implementation shoddy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

at release things like scopes didn't work, and the most insane bug was the skybox height was set at like, 10 feet, which lead to this horrorshow optical illusion during the nights where trees and buildings would be above the sky, but not. How something that basic ever got past testing I'll never know.

The engine it's based off of is a direct code descendant of the 1999 Sega Saturn game Prince of Persia 3D

That later became gamebryo, and they bought full rights to the engine which was later rebranded as creation engine

The fact that VR works at all in that game is a goddamn miracle

Yes that's not a typo, Sega Saturn

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

FO4 wasn't handled anywhere near as good as skyrim. Beyond the massive performance issues, at release things like scopes didn't work, and the most insane bug was the skybox height was set at like, 10 feet, which lead to this horrorshow optical illusion during the nights where trees and buildings would be above the sky, but not. How something that basic ever got past testing I'll never know.

Basically bethesda handled skyrim themselves for a big psvr release, and they just passed off FO4 to someone else to like fart out a barely working port in a week.

EDIT: Though I should say I have no idea how much if any has been fixed over time. Maybe its functional now.

Ah that sucks. Well, At $17 bux I'm still gonna bite. My curiosity has the best of me.

Anything else a must buy in that Humble VR sale (that doesn't already have a PSVR release. I've played pretty much all of those.)? I'm also grabbing LA noire I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Ah that sucks. Well, At $17 bux I'm still gonna bite. My curiosity has the best of me.

Anything else a must buy in that Humble VR sale (that doesn't already have a PSVR release. I've played pretty much all of those.)? I'm also grabbing LA noire I think.

Sairento is well worth a play.

Leal posted:

Found a room in VR chat where you play DOOM

Dual wielding mother fuckers I'm god drat Tommy Vercetti

The DoomVR world's especially fun if you know how to make custom gestures and animations for avatars, because you can basically build your own particle-emitting weapons that actually work there (if you look in the lobby room of that World, there's a tutorial on how to do it). If you're looking for more game worlds, go try out anything in the Udon Showcase collection on the Worlds tab. Laser Tag's great, and Freeze Tag's surprisingly addictive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hadlock posted:

The engine it's based off of is a direct code descendant of the 1999 Sega Saturn game Prince of Persia 3D

That later became gamebryo, and they bought full rights to the engine which was later rebranded as creation engine

Holy poo poo, how in the gently caress is this engine still a thing?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hadlock posted:

It was Dreamcast.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_3D

They weren't releasing Saturn games in 99.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sigher posted:

Mods, please make this the DCS World thread subtitle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Slumming around some more in VR chat

Found Flappy Bird and I think I should be doing this more often to build my arm strength. Also found some kid I extolled the virtues of the 90s and how I was there to see the virtual boy and young me would've gone crazy knowing this technology would play out like this. Also go to bed its 1 am the hell you doing awake kid

And then Russians.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I haven't but that movement system looks similar to megaton rainfall. In my experience it's annoying in practice having to hold your arms above your head to move around and you'll get physically tired pretty soon, but that might just be because I'm a weakling

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wow basic Skyrim VR is rrrrrrough. Definitely going to mod the poo poo out of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Valve's patent regarding a tracking guided beam forming system for wireless VR got published today.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0241306.html

I wonder if there's going to be a stand-alone upgrade, or if we have to wait for the Index 2 that's gonna release in 2092.

--edit:
Did they really make the graphics in the PC version of Onward worse because of Quest crossplay? :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 31, 2020

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did they really make the graphics in the PC version of Onward worse because of Quest crossplay? :psyduck:

Those guys have basically perfected the art of downgrading their game so it would not surprise me one bit.

I still maintain Onward is trash and the only reason it gets any attention is lack of competition.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would play the poo poo out of de_dust2_VR

Just that map

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

I would play the poo poo out of de_dust2_VR

Just that map

Pretty sure someone's imported it as a map into Pavlov.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

veni veni veni posted:

Whats the best no hassle headphone solution for the Rift S? I'm looking at the Bionic mantis PSVR headphones, which pretty much look like what I want but it looks like a ton of extra cable and yuck that white is gonna clash with it. I hate using earbuds in VR and ote headphones get weighty and hot imo.

These are what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-G45LP-Black/dp/B0015AFVBC

I actually kind of hate using them for VR because they're my favorite pair of headphones I've ever owned, but they're just so perfect and comfortable. But it also has the problem of a cable that's like 6 feet long, but it's thin cable you can just tie off and loop around the hook on the side of the Rift S.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tip posted:

Maybe me and my friends are just dumb, but we found Star Trek Bridge Crew to be pretty boring and frustrating.

It's been a while, but my main memory of the game was of struggling to figure out what we were supposed to do and how. Every station was a lovely minigame with no explanation and awkwardly implemented controls.

I bought it for like $9 and regretted it.

Did you skip the tutorial mission? It basically tells you all of the mechanics and how to use each station.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tip posted:

Maybe me and my friends are just dumb, but we found Star Trek Bridge Crew to be pretty boring and frustrating.

It's been a while, but my main memory of the game was of struggling to figure out what we were supposed to do and how. Every station was a lovely minigame with no explanation and awkwardly implemented controls.

I bought it for like $9 and regretted it.

Uh, most stations are really simple. Helm moves you, weapons picks targets and fires either phasers or torpedoes, and engineering just moves power around and maybe repairs things occasionally. It's pretty intuitive, and also has a good tutorial. You're also meant to fail the first mission.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

These are what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-G45LP-Black/dp/B0015AFVBC

I actually kind of hate using them for VR because they're my favorite pair of headphones I've ever owned, but they're just so perfect and comfortable. But it also has the problem of a cable that's like 6 feet long, but it's thin cable you can just tie off and loop around the hook on the side of the Rift S.

Bionik Mantis' VR headphones are what both veni^3 and you want. They clip right onto your headset's headband and turn it into a pseudo deluxe audio strap. They're designed for the PSVR, but work just as well on the Rift S.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bionik Mantis' VR headphones are what both veni^3 and you want. They clip right onto your headset's headband and turn it into a pseudo deluxe audio strap. They're designed for the PSVR, but work just as well on the Rift S.

Yeah, I'll probably look into getting those sometime, mostly because they clip on and stay on. I doubt the audio quality is any better than my Sonys though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I got an email that Karnage Chronicles is out, anybody played or heard anything good about it? I’m looking for a new RPG type VR game.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sigher posted:

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a game engine that can trace a lineage back decades, it just depends on how much it's been re-engineered over the years and how well it fits the needs of modern games.

I mean Unreal Engine has a pretty obvious history. Both Source 2 and id Tech 7 trace back to Quake. All three almost certainly have some kind of baggage that dates back to design decisions made in the '90s, but they aren't anywhere close to as janky as what Bethesda did with Gamebryo.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Leal posted:

Slumming around some more in VR chat

Found Flappy Bird and I think I should be doing this more often to build my arm strength. Also found some kid I extolled the virtues of the 90s and how I was there to see the virtual boy and young me would've gone crazy knowing this technology would play out like this. Also go to bed its 1 am the hell you doing awake kid

And then Russians.

Have you found this yet, because it's shockingly chill.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The trans pride flag is a nice touch.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is Oculus Tray Tools still worth a download? The info I can find about it seems pretty old. Also, browsing the oculus reddit for info led me to see this horrible looking thing. Truly don't understand how the comments aren't just ripping it to shreds.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, browsing the oculus reddit for info led me to see this horrible looking thing. Truly don't understand how the comments aren't just ripping it to shreds.

What's wrong with it? Looks like a regular game prototype to me.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Taintrunner posted:

The trans pride flag is a nice touch.

Yeah there seems to be a steady theme of "transphobes, die mad" given all the pride flags I see around.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a reason why only SKSE, SkyUI and the VRIK full-body mod would work in Skyrim VR and all other mods wouldn't? I'm using the Vortex mod manager and I've checked off the regular errors (I have mods set to automatically deploy, the mod folder is on the same drive as the game install folder, I've added the [Launcher] line to SkyrimPref.ini) and I can't see what my next step should be. Whenever I install a mod via Vortex it gives me this message:

Which seems to imply I'm installing mods for the wrong game? But I definitely have the correct version of the stuff so I got no idea.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stan Taylor posted:

Is Oculus Tray Tools still worth a download? The info I can find about it seems pretty old. Also, browsing the oculus reddit for info led me to see this horrible looking thing. Truly don't understand how the comments aren't just ripping it to shreds.

Why should they rip it apart? It's a functional prototype with placeholder graphics. Slapping together some cheap graphics/models to test out the basic design is a super common thing in game development. Make the game work, then make the game pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJMXW0_dcU
This is an actual Splatoon prototype. It's untextured blocks throwing grey spheres around to make circles on the floor. They made sure the basic concept was fun and functional while looking like this before they made so much as a character model.

For the opposite approach, see Star Citizen.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shine posted:

Why should they rip it apart? It's a functional prototype with placeholder graphics. Slapping together some cheap graphics/models to test out the basic design is a super common thing in game development. Make the game work, then make the game pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJMXW0_dcU
This is an actual Splatoon prototype. It's untextured blocks throwing grey spheres around to make circles on the floor. They made sure the basic concept was fun and functional while looking like this before they made so much as a character model.

For the opposite approach, see Star Citizen.

Not even that it looks ugly, just that it's a stationary turret. Why call it Titanfall? What the hell.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Not even that it looks ugly, just that it's a stationary turret. Why call it Titanfall? What the hell.

Oh gee maybe because it's a loving early prototype that still needs a tonne of work to meet basic alpha? Maybe they're excited to have made this progress so far and wanted to share it, maybe get some early feedback? Have you ever actually seen a game in early development? Saying they should be ripped apart in the comments for making progress on a prototype is the most goony loving thing I've ever heard. B-B-BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK EXACTLY LIKE TITANFALL YOU FAILURE. YOU HACK.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stan Taylor posted:

Because their goal is to make a Titanfall style game, and they're showing off a prototype of the mech cockpit's basic interactions? It's like looking at a manuscript for a book, and complaining that chapter one isn't even finished, and the main character doesn't even go to the titular location according to the placeholder name, well of course not, the author's barely even started writing it. They might change the name and the scope of the project as they go.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Picked up an Oculus Quest as part of a broader refresh of all my PC gaming stuff, looking forward to diving in to Elite Dangerous with HOTAS & VR :getin:

I've played around on a couple of headsets and already own a PSVR, so the "no wires" of the Quest really endears itself to me but gently caress me it's an incredibly uncomfortable headset to wear, especially coming off a PSVR which is still the most comfortable headset I've tried.. Going to need to look into comfort mods because at the moment it starts feeling real lovely after about 20 minutes of use.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mode 7 posted:

Picked up an Oculus Quest as part of a broader refresh of all my PC gaming stuff, looking forward to diving in to Elite Dangerous with HOTAS & VR :getin:

I've played around on a couple of headsets and already own a PSVR, so the "no wires" of the Quest really endears itself to me but gently caress me it's an incredibly uncomfortable headset to wear, especially coming off a PSVR which is still the most comfortable headset I've tried.. Going to need to look into comfort mods because at the moment it starts feeling real lovely after about 20 minutes of use.

Its been linked a few times in here, but if you liked the PSVR design, might want to check out this: https://www.amazon.com/Esimen-Adjus...Z582HGV1P297XEH

You can find it cheaper on alibaba and stuff too if you look around. I think some links to it were posted earlier in this thread.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Mode 7 posted:

I ziptied a battery pack to the back of the headset and it changed the comfort level by a large margin itself. Amazing what not having all the weight on the front of your face can do

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The future of VR is now.

https://twitter.com/ilnm01/status/1288952219497189376?s=21

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The oculus guardian stuff doesn't seem to work all the time when I'm playing steam vr? I kept bumping into stuff and it was super disorienting. Is there some kind of quick reset or a way to have it show the play area at all times. In superhot for example it would feel like i had to take a step forward to grab something on a level restart even if i had already stepped forward before and it felt like i was going to walk into the wall. I'll move some furniture around to open up my play space a bit, but really good first impressions beyond that. Unfortunately half life runs like garbage on my pc, so that's a no go for now, but everything else was flawless.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I think that's just the same overpriced FPV goggles like they use for drone racing. You can't actually turn your head to track view (though if they used a 360 camera and accelerometers in the goggles you could)

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

The oculus guardian stuff doesn't seem to work all the time when I'm playing steam vr? I kept bumping into stuff and it was super disorienting. Is there some kind of quick reset or a way to have it show the play area at all times. In superhot for example it would feel like i had to take a step forward to grab something on a level restart even if i had already stepped forward before and it felt like i was going to walk into the wall. I'll move some furniture around to open up my play space a bit, but really good first impressions beyond that. Unfortunately half life runs like garbage on my pc, so that's a no go for now, but everything else was flawless.

There's an option, I think it's in Guardian or Experimental dashboard settings, to have the floor play area always visible. Alternatively, crank the controller/headset guardian sensitivity ALL the way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pierson posted:

Yeah that's what I was half-expecting, but if there are mods to improve the VR features I'll probably check it out. I've never actually finished Skyrim legit.

Even after mods, Skyrim VR is still a bad VR UI. On the other hand, there’s no real alternative to it.