Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've established that the C'than dragon isn't the Mars dragon, right?

Do we have any idea what the Mars one is supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't think they've ever confirmed or denied what exactly it is anywhere. Just that it's powerful and the Emperor put it there.

The Man of Iron from a black stone short story says he met it though or at least he said he met the real omnissiah.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe it's just a sentient AI he shackled there.

Maybe if the Emperor is a dark age weapon, whatever he put there is what that weapon is really is.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Technically the C'tan are shards right now - or at least most of them? It's possible for a Dragon shard to be under Mars and a Dragon shard to be in possession of the Necrons at the same time.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Technically the C'tan are shards right now - or at least most of them? It's possible for a Dragon shard to be under Mars and a Dragon shard to be in possession of the Necrons at the same time.

It is confirmed there is a c'tan under mars and it is the dragon shard.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is The Machine God A C'Tan? - 40K Theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ziX4r8T1o

There's also another video I can't find that speculates that at the center of Mars/Mechanicum ruling everything is a terrifying and malevolent machine entity(s).

Not Necrons but nothing at all that was ever human.

e; And also suggests very terrible ends to Mechanicum people who get too close to this.

"Wait, the Mechanicum is ruled by machines?"
"Always has been."
:commissar:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 31, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What what the wowed heresy in Abnetts titan ? Was that that dragon ?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
No, teh Emps is the Omnissiah. He defeated the dragon and brought technology to man, much as Prometheus brought fire (but without loving it up like a little bitch).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's possible for a Dragon shard to be under Mars and a Dragon shard to be in possession of the Necrons at the same time.

This makes a lot of sense, I forgot that there are a bunch of shards out there.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

D-Pad posted:

It is confirmed there is a c'tan under mars and it is the dragon shard.

Yep - I was just explaining how it's perfectly ok for there to be a Dragon shard running around on tabletop as well as the (a) Void Dragon (shard) being locked up on Mars.

To contribute some other content, I've been plowing through Saturnine (a little under halfway I think?) and I'd just like to say without spoilers that I think Abnett is doing a good job with Dorn and Perturabo in this book, fleshing them out further. Dorn is surprisingly kind in his interactions with humans, and Perturabo's prudence and capabilities shine through.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Watch it turn out technology was stolen by whatever is "living" on Mars and getting away with it is why the Emperor though he could swindle the chaos gods.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pyrolocutus posted:

To contribute some other content, I've been plowing through Saturnine (a little under halfway I think?) and I'd just like to say without spoilers that I think Abnett is doing a good job with Dorn and Perturabo in this book, fleshing them out further. Dorn is surprisingly kind in his interactions with humans, and Perturabo's prudence and capabilities shine through.

This is absolutely our best look at Dorn from the BL.

I've finished Saturnine and am really happy with it. I didn't think I was likely to re-read SoT anytime soon, but there's just so much good stuff, and little tidbits of plot, fluff, and character throughout that it makes the whole series better.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Read the Ragnar book by ADB and how come it never came up once in
Devastation of Baal that the Flesh Tearers are cave men from a dinosaur planet?

Are there any good Flesh Tearer books?

Guyver fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 31, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Schadenboner posted:

No, teh Emps is the Omnissiah. He defeated the dragon and brought technology to man, much as Prometheus brought fire (but without loving it up like a little bitch).

pretty much. mechanicum basically states that Big E put it there to sped up the Admechs growth and creativity and also spread enough poo poo around that he would be their ommnisiah when he finally came.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guyver posted:

ADB did a Ragnar book?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah, it came out around 2015.

Half the book is set when Ragnar first becomes a wolf guard and his company finds a derelict Flesh Tearer ship and the other half is set when he's a Jarl leading his own company in defense of Cadia.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guyver posted:

Yeah, it came out around 2015.

Half the book is set when Ragnar first becomes a wolf guard and his company finds a derelict Flesh Tearer ship and the other half is set when he's a Jarl leading his own company in defense of Cadia.

Ok, I need to read this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so just to confirm all the details,

I need to log in at 12:50ish EST tomorrow and start smashing reload on https://www.warhammer-community.com/ (or is there a specific store or /new url they post to?) until i get the banner for the Nightlords books? and than try to get through checkout without the site dying?

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ok, I need to read this.

I read it a while ago. It whips rear end.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Waroduce posted:

so just to confirm all the details,

I need to log in at 12:50ish EST tomorrow and start smashing reload on https://www.warhammer-community.com/ (or is there a specific store or /new url they post to?) until i get the banner for the Nightlords books? and than try to get through checkout without the site dying?

https://www.games-workshop.com. Make sure you click the right flag for your part of the world as they have different stocks, I've seen stuff sold out in the UK one while being in stock in the US one. Warhammer Community is just a news/advertisement site, by the time the books are mentioned there they will likely be long sold out.

Other things you can try that I can't vouch for are searching for the item in the search bar in case they show up there before they get listed on the main banners, clicking the New & Exclusive tab, or clicking the black library tab. I was trying much of that for Indomitus before the site went to hell and by the time refresh worked it was a banner on the main page, and searching for it directly brought up all the side stuff instead of what I wanted.

It's been said a few times that its going up at 1pm EST but I'll say again I logged on Saturday morning a few weeks back at 10:30am EST out of curiosity and the new Daemonifuge collectors edition was already listed and sold out. Maybe I accidentally clicked on the UK flag though, I'm in the states and was on a different device than I normally shop on.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Guyver posted:

There is a dedicated fleshtearer novella/book set when they first discover the dinosaur planet that ends up the chapter homeworld.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Yo the recent Fabius Bile books are not bad! Not quite ADB/Chris Wraight, but still works pretty well

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I read the first one not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. The second also was good. Havent't got around to the last one yet but I'm going too.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Telsa Cola posted:

There is a dedicated fleshtearer novella/book set when they first discover the dinosaur planet that ends up the chapter homeworld.
Gabriel Seth is such an angry person the dinosaurs don't cheer him up.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Finished Spear of the Emperor, was surprisingly good. Thanks thread.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Turns out A.I. is the Imperium's version of the C'tan.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Miguel Prado posted:

Yo the recent Fabius Bile books are not bad! Not quite ADB/Chris Wraight, but still works pretty well

Just a shame Josh Reynolds left BL due to disputes with his editor and other things so no more of those in the future.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am full of anxiety about getting this night lords run

I also really want to go work out but instead am sitting on my couch f5-ing games workshop website

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

It's up, good luck.
edit - US link
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Night-Lords-Collector-Set-Ltd-Ed-2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
it's live

mission accomplished

$150 price tag btw

pop'd in search before it got posted

e:beaten :(

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you don't get a copy keep refreshing once it says it is sold out as usually a little while later GW will clear out any carts that didn't finish buying copies and if you are quick you can grab one when it goes back to in stock.

I got my copy. This will be my 10th or so LE, haven't missed one I wanted yet, but it's been close. For the Stern release my 5 year old pissed on the dog right as it was going up and I had to sit with my wife and talk to him and act very serious about how bad it was while the whole time I was frantically refreshing on my phone trying and trying to check out.

I also picked up the Black Library art book, excited about this as well.

Waroduce posted:

it's live

mission accomplished

$150 price tag btw

pop'd in search before it got posted

e:beaten :(

Glad you got one! The way I do it is go to the BL portion of the GW store and click the box for pre-orders then refresh that page. It goes up there before the main site. I also refresh on my phone (with wi-fi turned off) at the same time as my desktop because sometimes one of them times out or has issues and the other doesn't. Like just now my desktop session said it timed out right after I clicked the final place order button, but luckily I already had a copy in my cart on my phone and that one worked just fine.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i wonder if i can pay someone to paint Lupercal if i buy the bookshelves cause lord knows i have no skill

E: thank you thank you very happy no connection issues on the american site

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They sent out an email once the new books were released as well, I like how this was handled.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Glad you guys got it. I guess sorry for hyping up that it was going to sell out so fast, I only had Indomitus and Daemonifuge CE to go by and I figured night lords had a bigger fan base than the comic. Could be wrong or maybe they made more.

I would have wanted daemonifuge and spear of the emperor LEs but passed on this one, not a fan of the style.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
the original collectors edition was pretty bad rear end too tbh. the leather lookin resin finish was nice on those

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

i wonder if i can pay someone to paint Lupercal if i buy the bookshelves cause lord knows i have no skill

There are a lot of services for people to paint your minis so I am sure they would do this too. Some of the artists are freakin' AMAZING so it might be worth it. I wasn't going to get the bookends because lol at the price, but damnit I have an extensive 40k LE edition library and will continue to add to it so I caved and ordered a set.

Azubah posted:

They sent out an email once the new books were released as well, I like how this was handled.

This was handled the same way it always is. Usually the releases go smoothly like this one. The issue a couple of weeks ago with Stern was that the Indomitus box set for the new edition was releasing at the same time so they had 100x the traffic of people trying to buy/check out.

bagrada posted:

Glad you guys got it. I guess sorry for hyping up that it was going to sell out so fast, I only had Indomitus and Daemonifuge CE to go by and I figured night lords had a bigger fan base than the comic. Could be wrong or maybe they made more.

I would have wanted daemonifuge and spear of the emperor LEs but passed on this one, not a fan of the style.

No, you weren't wrong at all. The US site says it still has copies which is crazy as usually they are sold out within the first three minutes and they only did 1000 copies worldwide which is a lot less than LE editions usually get. It may be that most of the serious LE collectors already have the old limited edition already.

I just spent way too much on this. I always tell myself they hold resale value really well. Based on past releases this NL set will go on eBay for about $300 for years to come. I've yet to buy an LE that I couldn't immediately turn around and eBay for a profit.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 1, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Been reading through some of the Heresy books, and I think I found the best line:

Alpharius: *to another Alpha Legionaire* "It's going to get...confusing"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Waroduce posted:

I really enjoyed this video comparing the work of painters on Fiverr at various price points.

https://youtu.be/DArEAR7URgs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SardonicTyrant posted:

Been reading through some of the Heresy books, and I think I found the best line:

Alpharius: *to another Alpha Legionaire* "It's going to get...confusing"

Alpharius is on first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can someone suggest me a good short story anthology or two? Heresy, 40k, Fantasy, I don't care. Just something that has a bit of a kaleidoscope of fun warhams stuff with lots of perspectives - the one featured on the BL page is all primarchs and idk if I want that much SPACE MARINES. Is there something with eldar or even some second-tier alien species as a viewpoint character or something cool like that? The OP doesn't have any anthologies unless I missed them.