Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Neutrino posted:

Are we going to have another long debate on idiot bikers?

Nah, burnouts are the dumbest kind of dickwaving and I think even the bikers among us agree. Looks like he was at it for a while too, based on how hosed-up his tire looks. You might say, "what was he expecting to happen?"

PittTheElder posted:

I was gonna say, I want a car that accelerates at 3g.

This got me curious so I looked it up, currently F1 cars can accelerate at around 2G but they can brake at 5G. I've always said that braking hard is way scarier than accelerating hard on the motorcycle, I can't even begin to imagine what 5G must be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mister Speaker posted:

Nah, burnouts are the dumbest kind of dickwaving and I think even the bikers among us agree. Looks like he was at it for a while too, based on how hosed-up his tire looks. You might say, "what was he expecting to happen?"

This got me curious so I looked it up, currently F1 cars can accelerate at around 2G but they can brake at 5G. I've always said that braking hard is way scarier than accelerating hard on the motorcycle, I can't even begin to imagine what 5G must be like.

They do a lot of neck exercises.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Speaker posted:

I remember seeing Mark Webber talking about the first time he ever drove a F1 car. He was like "man that thing goes fast but gently caress me it stops". The footage included him hitting the normal braking markers he would use for his sports car racing, and stopping 50-60 meters short of the corner.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

mobby_6kl posted:

Could be. I found the video I was talking about, it's quite a bit slower (and no helmet though the area at least seems to be marked off) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoA-m5iHG9s

My favorite part of this is how the arm is set up so that it passes a foot or two from a wall repeatedly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/dMDcyIf.mp4

everyone's a forklift operator until a real et cetera

when you fool around with a fork lift operators girl, you get this

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Cojawfee posted:

They do a lot of neck exercises.

In 2014 one driver did a 254g stop using his forehead/temple.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/napjaloo/status/1289036959252279296

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Could have become the next ghost rider.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s what a wildfire can do in 2 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/4FfwSbO.gifv

Peak wildfire season is just around the corner, surely 2020 will give us a break this year, right?
:shepface:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mister Speaker posted:

I once did a track day where we drove a variety of cars but the craziest by far were the Ariel Atoms and it was trying to stop the car spinning out under breaking that was the only really scary thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dysgenesis posted:

I once did a track day where we drove a variety of cars but the craziest by far were the Ariel Atoms and it was trying to stop the car spinning out under breaking that was the only really scary thing.

Sure, but an Atom is light and has way more power than grip. An F1 car has slick tires and aero, and well-set up, it shouldn’t be on the verge of binning it every time you use the left pedal. But remember, F1 drivers are a LOT better than you are at trail-braking. Plus they can tweak things like brake bias which can help solve problems like that.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

"Fishing is all about the equipment"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Sure, but an Atom is light and has way more power than grip. An F1 car has slick tires and aero, and well-set up, it shouldn’t be on the verge of binning it every time you use the left pedal. But remember, F1 drivers are a LOT better than you are at trail-braking. Plus they can tweak things like brake bias which can help solve problems like that.

Current F1 cars still have twice the amount of power (875–1,000 + 160 hp (652–746 + 119 kW, torque approx. 400–500 Nm) compared to the most powerful Ariel Atoms ever built and they have more extensive aero package since Atom basically has no rear spoiler even though they weight the same.

The F1 cars have so high deceleration and acceleration potential that if you have an eye infection you are medically disqualified from driving the car. Because the G-force driven pressure changes would rip the cornea right off from that infected eye if it is in any way swollen or compromised.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 1, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/N261Rqn.mp4

good to see formula races introducing mario kart powerups

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hahahahahahaha

No.

sry u poor

aphid_licker posted:

You kinda expect it to, once it has finally managed to roll over onto its roof, just flatten itself into a pancake the height of the battery pack

You would think so but machine used to test roof strength literally broke trying to crush the Model X’s roof. It’s likely the safest car on the market

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 1, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as the car doesn't catch on fire and you end up trapped inside.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

As long as the car doesn't catch on fire and you end up trapped inside.

You could say that for any car.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UsqZGnGGM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

jfc that this is ever an issue. there's a bunch of electronic door lock cars now that have secondary releases...but certain car makers who never care about safety...lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

jfc that this is ever an issue. there's a bunch of electronic door lock cars now that have secondary releases...but certain car makers who never care about safety...lol

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/man-burned-alive-fiery-tesla-crash-door-open/story?id=66498159

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

LifeSunDeath posted:

You literally just pull the emergency release in the door.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

This is no different then if the door locked in any other regular car. Did the cop not have access to a rock?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

You literally just pull the emergency release in the door.

No, you don't. That is on the front doors. The rear doors do not have a non-electrical release. It's buried inside the door card and you have to use something like that guys kit to make it accessible to passengers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Dysgenesis posted:

I don't know how realistic racing sims are but if it's anything like the GSX-R/4 on Gran Turismo, that car had the spinning under braking problem too, and was fixed by setting the front suspension to half the rate of the rear suspension.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tesla autopilot is also crippled because elon insists that image processing alone is sufficient for the car to detect its environment (it is not) and teslas are the one car that doesn't use lidar because elon doesn't want the dome to disrupt the clean lines of the vehicle's exterior. this is aside from the arrogance of calling it 'autopilot' in the first place

only get a tesla if you have a casual regard for your own safety and the safety of others. they're more of an rear end in a top hat signal than BMWs at this point

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

You would think so but machine used to test roof strength literally broke trying to crush the Model X’s roof. It’s likely the safest car on the market

That's pretty neato

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Other cars aren't sitting on a few hundred pounds of leaky cell phone batteries duct taped together

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

luxury handset posted:

only get a tesla if you have a casual regard for your own safety and the safety of others.
I mean this is delusional nonsense not based in fact but whatever

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/tesla/model-3-4-door-sedan/2020

https://money.cnn.com/2017/06/13/technology/tesla-model-x-safety-rating/index.html

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/tesla/model-s/safety

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Giving money to Elon Musk is it's own kind of OSHA violation on some level.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

What does IIHS have to say about jamming a water bottle in your steering wheel to defeat the attention detection system

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Other cars aren't sitting on a few hundred pounds of leaky cell phone batteries duct taped together

Yeah they’re sitting on 20 gallons of flammable petrochemicals which power the vehicle with a series of controlled explosions.

Buff Hardback posted:

What does IIHS have to say about jamming a water bottle in your steering wheel to defeat the attention detection system

Don’t forget the tin of 9mm FMJ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah they’re sitting on 20 gallons of flammable petrochemicals which power the vehicle with a series of controlled explosions.

Gas tanks don't spontaneously explode when punctured, damaged, or old and corroded.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Gas tanks don't spontaneously explode when punctured, damaged, or old and corroded.

They just explode when you use them. Tesla’s are seemingly 11 times less likely to catch fire.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, because punctured, damaged, old or corroded gas tanks are known for not ever setting the car on fire, especially on crash sites where the said car has been tipped over.

There are real issues to which base hate on the electric cars, or Tesla or Elon Musk in particular, but this is grasping at straws. In a near future all cars will have at least some hybrid aspects in them and all major manufacturers are already doing full-electric cars. And most of them have not exploded.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

im far from an expert in this subject but since i was curious I went to government sources and they all seem to confirm that we face no additional risk when driving an electric vehicle.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-car-safety-maintenance-and-battery-life

quote:

Plug-in electric vehicles (also known as electric cars or EVs) are as safe and easy to maintain as conventional vehicles. While driving conditions and habits will impact vehicle operation and vehicle range, some best practices can help you maximize your all-electric range.

Cars are basically another piece of industrial equipment and even if they aren't quite as heavy as a forklift dumb operators are going to find new ways to kill themselves regardless of how they are powered.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The reason to avoid muskmobiles is that they were literally poking holes in their vape cells and sticking them in their cars anyway, and deleted all their internal tracking data because they didn't want to able to tell which ones had cells with holes poked in them.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

To be clear:

- I like Teslas (someone should take away Musk's twitter account)
- They're basically equivalently as safe as gas cars
- people who do stupid poo poo like Bum the Sad and defeat safety measures should not post in the EV thread about it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

im far from an expert in this subject but since i was curious I went to government sources and they all seem to confirm that we face no additional risk when driving an electric vehicle.

typically no, but tesla's manufacturing process for batteries has been pretty horrifying. like just tossing defective batteries back into the QC approved pile to meet quota

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-leaked-emails-show-company-knew-model-s-battery-issues-2020-6

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Buff Hardback posted:

To be clear:

- I like Teslas (someone should take away Musk's twitter account)
- They're basically equivalently as safe as gas cars
- people who do stupid poo poo like Bum the Sad and defeat safety measures should not post in the EV thread about it

Tesla has some of the worst Quality Control in the industry, and that's saying something since they occupy an industry shared by Chrysler and GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just going by the overview here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc. I don't think it makes sense to think of them as a company that is about to implode because of their unusually crappy cars:

quote:

After 11 years in the market, Tesla ranked as the world's best-selling plug-in and battery electric passenger car manufacturer in 2019, both as a brand and by automotive group, with a market share of 17% of the plug-in segment and 23% of the battery electric segment.[23] Tesla global vehicle sales increased 50% from 245,240 units in 2018[24] to 367,849 units in 2019.[23] In 2020, the company surpassed the 1 million mark of electric cars produced.[25] The Model 3 ranks as the world's all-time best-selling plug-in electric car, with more than 500,000 delivered.[26]

From July 2019 to June 2020, Tesla recorded four profitable quarters in a row for the first time, which made it eligible for inclusion in the S&P 500.

Like I know nothing about cars or automotive companies but that does not look like a completely unsuccessful company.