Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lance is criminally underused and it’s crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll spare the thread my weekly giant post about great the lance is, but yes, it's an amazing weapon that the game does not do justice in its little tutorial video. You'd be like "okay, so you step slowly, turtle up and kinda poke things I guess" but drat, it's so much neater than that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It'd be even better if you had OG dash juice. Has anyone ever made that a mod for world?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Lance is one of the best weapons in the game, it lets you laugh at some monster attacks, and you have to tell your brain to move when blocking because standing still cuts off stamina Regen, but moving while blocking makes it regen like normal.

Stab in front or upwards or do a slower sweep and are interchangeable three hit combo you can perform, but you can reset into another three hit attack by doing a shield dash, keep stabbing that goddamn monster yeeeah.

Lance is great. I switched from Now to Lance when I fought regular Odogaron and I've been playing Lance ever since for what I think it about 200 hours by now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

In Training posted:

It'd be even better if you had OG dash juice. Has anyone ever made that a mod for world?

Lance was my go to weapon in Tri pretty much entirely because you could pop infinite stam dash juice and just lance dash across the entire map and it owned.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I love Lance

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what the hell?? this was a pre-order bonus?? and I can’t get it now??
how am I supposed to just keep using the long sword now knowing true weebdom will forever be out of my reach? this is an outrage!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Augus posted:

how am I supposed to just keep using the long sword now knowing true weebdom will forever be out of my reach? this is an outrage!
Just go with the Odogaron armour set and you´ll be twice as anime!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if you're on pc the costume armor mod can apply it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Safi doing it's ultimate move without there being cover isn't a bug it's working as intended, according to Capcom. Nobody seems to really know how or why it happens. It's either not holding aggro long enough or not doing enough DPS to trigger it's critical state, maybe both?

I heard it happens because you stagger it out of the attack that would normally drop rocks for you to hide behind?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I just wish gunlance had a little bit more mobility. Lance is fun but I really miss stabbing a bomb into a monsters face then making the bomb repeatedly explode with more bombs.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Augus posted:

Odogaron/Death Garon Beta+ should do you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like my damage is lacking in early MR - swapped over to my safe vaalregen set to go with diablos charge blade. Should I be pushing the story or events/optional to get whatever's next on the diablos tree?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are you using HR armor in MR? If so, that's your problem. Especially if you're trying to make a tanky defensive set. Some folks got through most of MR in their drachen/teo setup but that's because they were dodging instead of getting hit.

Edit: I misread and you were taking about damage output. Same question though--you have made some MR weapons, right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Holy gently caress barioth

No, still running my HR stuff in MR. Felt kind of tedious at mr2 and mr3 is crushing me

Guess I need to figure out all the MR crafting

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 1, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

mastershakeman posted:

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

mastershakeman posted:

My group of friends who just got into iceborne stalled on barioth for like 5 missions, getting endlessly dunked on by that saber toothed rear end in a top hat

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

tokenbrownguy posted:

Xeno'jivers is the final boss of HR right? I should go to Iceborne after clearing it?

It is, but it isn't. There's still some stuff gated by hunter rank, or hunting amount of tempered monsters, or filling up their research. So you probably still miss some mantles

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

No, still running my HR stuff in MR. Felt kind of tedious at mr2 and mr3 is crushing me

Guess I need to figure out all the MR crafting

Beotodus is a good set to start out with, though obviously the ice damage won't be useful against barioth.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pyromancer posted:

It is, but it isn't. There's still some stuff gated by hunter rank, or hunting amount of tempered monsters, or filling up their research. So you probably still miss some mantles

Going to Iceborne right after beating Xeno makes all this stuff a good bit easier though because you immediately get access to MR armor and weapons. Even just making the basic Alloy+gear is a huge step up from the HR stuff

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Barioth is probably the toughest fight in Iceborne before the endgame stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Barioth is tough, but he's one of those fights that gets easier as the fight goes on, provided you aim your attacks well. If you break his forelegs, he'll stumble around when he leaps around/shoulder checks, giving you more opportunity to hit him. It's worth bringing a trap or two just to pin him down and let you go to town on a foreleg.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Barioth is probably the toughest fight in Iceborne before the endgame stuff.

I'm guessing when I do him again, but this time in not HR gear, I'll actually be able to keep pressure up. It was like the first time I fought nergigante without any upgraded armor and you're just doing heal->get hit forever

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

I'm guessing when I do him again, but this time in not HR gear, I'll actually be able to keep pressure up. It was like the first time I fought nergigante without any upgraded armor and you're just doing heal->get hit forever

Why do people do that? Even basic bone/ore stuff is way stronger defensively.

But yes Barioth is basically the "Upgrade your gear, dumbass" check.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please make literally any master rank armor, it will be leagues better than your hyper-twinked high rank poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The amount of people I saw getting oneshot by Shara because they were still wearing their epic Drachen sets, I STG

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Why do people do that? Even basic bone/ore stuff is way stronger defensively.

But yes Barioth is basically the "Upgrade your gear, dumbass" check.

He's just a big, stoned, horny Tigrex

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Barioth is absolutely meant to be a gear check the ensure players aren't holding on to their HR stuff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sydin posted:

Barioth is absolutely meant to be a gear check the ensure players aren't holding on to their HR stuff.

Yeah it's the right choice to do it there. Now it's back to basics and farming jagras, kula, barroth et Al per some YouTuber video

On the plus side I don't feel bad SOSing for those guys since I know their movesets, it's nice to just stomp on them in 7-10 minutes and be done with it

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Shine posted:

Barioth is tough, but he's one of those fights that gets easier as the fight goes on, provided you aim your attacks well. If you break his forelegs, he'll stumble around when he leaps around/shoulder checks, giving you more opportunity to hit him. It's worth bringing a trap or two just to pin him down and let you go to town on a foreleg.

Bring a lance and you can constantly clutch counter the shoulder.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Bring a lance and you can constantly clutch counter the shoulder.

Oh, I do :D

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clutch counter is hilarious on Barioth especially when it goes cross country and so you slingshot yourself at it with ridiculous speed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

Clutch counter is hilarious on Barioth especially when it goes cross country and so you slingshot yourself at it with ridiculous speed.

I love when I SOS Barioth, do a claw counter like this, and somebody asks, "how did you do that??" (because nobody uses lance :( )

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shine posted:

I love when I SOS Barioth, do a claw counter like this, and somebody asks, "how did you do that??" (because nobody uses lance :( )

The funny thing is I made a new char to relive the experience (Hammer, which is a ton of fun) but man do I miss Lance already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Fortunately, Hammer also has amazing and incredibly easy to use clutch claw moves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm strongly considering betting back into MH- I have it on xbox but I've recently got a pretty good computer that could run the PC version.

Honestly the biggest thing holding me back is all the hours of grinding. Not sure I want to start from the beginning again.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

I'm strongly considering betting back into MH- I have it on xbox but I've recently got a pretty good computer that could run the PC version.

Honestly the biggest thing holding me back is all the hours of grinding. Not sure I want to start from the beginning again.

You can install mods from Nexus that make everything buyable in the shop (and mods to get basically limitless cash), including monster parts, decorations and event tickets, so you can recreate at least your main gear very easily.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shine posted:

You can install mods from Nexus that make everything buyable in the shop (and mods to get basically limitless cash), including monster parts, decorations and event tickets, so you can recreate at least your main gear very easily.

That has been the biggest draw to me looking at upgrading. Just trying to convince my dickhead brain to go through with it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think it took me around 25 hours to get to Guiding Lands after starting again on PC? There was a bunch of idling and stuff in that time, but it wasn't too long I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it me or does CB get barely any new moves? I see the fire ammo after an axe hit or shield recoil but nothing else