Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thanks Dabir. I...think that upper right screen might actually contain a encoded message. I'll poke the hitman forum people and see if the screen is reused from elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrQxabBAxM

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm knocking Absolution out before I play the new games. Man, this hospital level sucks. And apparently it gets even worse than this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
ahahahahahaha

Yes, sorry, the hospital is considered one of the better levels because it's not strictly a linear corridor. You're in for a terrible ride, I'm afraid. Bear in mind that getting past some guards in stealth by the intended route may only be possible when they finish their canned conversation. It is not possible to save any of the civilians in the map; at best, you get some different dialogue from one before they expire. I believe the chapel cannot be navigated cleanly in stealth without crazy distraction shenanigans-take a different route.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 29, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Discendo Vox posted:

ahahahahahaha

Yes, sorry, the hospital is considered one of the better levels because it's not strictly a linear corridor. You're in for a terrible ride, I'm afraid. Bear in mind that getting past some guards in stealth by the intended route may only be possible when they finish their canned conversation.

:cripes:

And the following level just has you taking a cop disguise from a bathroom and talking to a bartender!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I almost want to watch you play this just to see your reactions, but I promised never again after the Cornfield Incident.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I almost, almost thought that that awful shooting range minigame was going to be required. If it was, you'd be able to hear my freakout from here, stream or no stream.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm knocking Absolution out before I play the new games. Man, this hospital level sucks. And apparently it gets even worse than this?

On PS3 that game crashed for me at the same point during the hospital level repeatedly (this was a few months after release and I was connected to the net so had patches) so I never beat it

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

On PS3 that game crashed for me at the same point during the hospital level repeatedly (this was a few months after release and I was connected to the net so had patches) so I never beat it

Good for you!

I've just spent like 3 hours trying to get a specific route on Sapienza to work out. It's insane they've made a game where that is fun. Hedgehog Pie you should really just skip Absolution and join us in playing the fun Hitman Games (all the ones before Absolution are also fun, maybe excepting the very first).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Man with Hat posted:

Good for you!

I've just spent like 3 hours trying to get a specific route on Sapienza to work out. It's insane they've made a game where that is fun. Hedgehog Pie you should really just skip Absolution and join us in playing the fun Hitman Games (all the ones before Absolution are also fun, maybe excepting the very first).

I just did the one where all you do is shoot a guy in the desert. The mission before it is not all that bad, though it's pretty bland compared to almost all of Blood Money. I have heard that it's pretty much the best mission in the game though. To be fair, some of these pointless filler missions remind me very much of the pointless filler missions in Silent Assassin and Codename 47. They're still worse though, for the most part.

But the main reason I'm playing Absolution is because Blood Money is only available in a bundle with it (I think?) on PS4 and I really wanted to play some Blood Money again. And now I'm going to get my money's worth, drat it!!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just did the one where all you do is shoot a guy in the desert. The mission before it is not all that bad, though it's pretty bland compared to almost all of Blood Money. I have heard that it's pretty much the best mission in the game though. To be fair, some of these pointless filler missions remind me very much of the pointless filler missions in Silent Assassin and Codename 47. They're still worse though, for the most part.

But the main reason I'm playing Absolution is because Blood Money is only available in a bundle with it (I think?) on PS4 and I really wanted to play some Blood Money again. And now I'm going to get my money's worth, drat it!!

Blood Money is the best Hitman so that's a pretty good trade.

And yes, the map before the desert is the best one in the game.

I actually had sort of fun going through Absolution once, I'll just never ever do it again because the others are just so much better.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Man with Hat posted:

Blood Money is the best Hitman so that's a pretty good trade.
Blood Money is pish compared to 2016 and 2018.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Absolution had so many weird choices. Hitman has always had this relatively grounded and low key aesthetic, but they decided the logical next step was exagerated sleazy grind-house for some reason? And the Saints don't even make sense within the context of that game. Every other ICA operative that we see is a relatively realistic looking guy in paramilitary gear, but their strike force is lead by latex fetish nuns? Also, why does the ICA have a standing army?

47 felt so out of place. He's a ultra-professional and fastidious character that infiltrates embassies to to assassinate diplomats, not a gritty grindhouse protagonist.

I will say that the third quarter of the game does kind of come together, with missions like infiltrating the penthouse and such. But the rest is just such a mess.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Pilchenstein posted:

I mean there are lots and lots of improvements for 2016 from blood money but that seems a bit harsh.

2016 and 2018 have a few issues imo. Namely that every level is made with a million solutions in mind. My favorite video game thing ever probably was to figure out how to Suit Only SA Blood Money. This took me maybe an hour per level in the newest games because they're intended routes.

I realize it's kind of dumb to knock a game for being well thought out and giving the players what they want in a challenge form to encourage and reward it but it's just not as fun for me (so this is very subjectively my opinion). This approach has led the level design not being as fun for me to figure out since it's more find the intended path placed by the developers than it's find a way past this obstacle placed by the developers.

That being said, I have recently started with these challenges placed for myself which gives the newer games more of that feeling and it seems likely my opinion on all of this might change as I keep going.

This isn't even getting into the story missions for which I also have very mixed feelings, tbh, but that would be a whole other effort post like this and no one wants to read that probably.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

I do miss the newspapers and actually getting paid for how well I did in a mission. I also preferred buying weapons and upgrades.

I suppose the current system is sort-of an abstract with the xp/level system but its not the same.

Could you buy intel and assistance on a mission in Blood Money? I can't recall, I may be mixing up my memories with the Dishonored series.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Snuffman posted:

I do miss the newspapers and actually getting paid for how well I did in a mission. I also preferred buying weapons and upgrades.

I suppose the current system is sort-of an abstract with the xp/level system but its not the same.

Could you buy intel and assistance on a mission in Blood Money? I can't recall, I may be mixing up my memories with the Dishonored series.

Yes, you can! And yeah, I also really liked making actual cash money in a cash money form to buy poo poo. That was cool as hell. Better than a reward for running around putting on 12 different costumes just to try them on on every level imo.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, you could buy little hints in Blood Money but most of them were pretty pointless. They were usually things that you could discover quite easily on your own, or things that were outright misleading (I remember one hint in the first proper mission advises you to be careful because there's a TV crew hanging around the villa... but due to memory constraints they can't actually catch you on camera).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Man with Hat posted:

My favorite video game thing ever probably was to figure out how to Suit Only SA Blood Money. This took me maybe an hour per level in the newest games because they're intended routes.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, I think Bangkok is the only level that has a single, predetermined SASO route.

Blood Money was a revelation at the time but looking back it's incredibly clunky and misanthropic. 2016 and 2018 do everything much, much better.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The new Hitman games have the highest consistentency of quality levels but I do miss the dark tone and less likeable 47 from Blood Money. The guy is sociapathic serial killer he should be a bit of a weird oval office. There's something almost worse about painting him as a hero by having all his targets be evil or deserving of punishment in some way, it glosses over answering the question about what it takes to be a ruthless killer for hire.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I think Bangkok is the only level that has a single, predetermined SASO route.

Blood Money was a revelation at the time but looking back it's incredibly clunky and misanthropic. 2016 and 2018 do everything much, much better.

I didn't say a single, predetermined route. Just that they had clearly designed the levels with it being a possibility in mind whereas Blood Money definitely had not done that. A lot of things in the new ones just seem like predetermined plans to me but I might just be wrong.

And I'll be the first to admit I love Blood Money more than it probably deserves due to nostalgia. Everything I say about these games is very subjective. The new ones are phenomenal and exactly what Hitman should be, I just like the levels in Blood Money more and this is the best way I can describe why. It's all feeling, though, I haven't actually done any real science.

Edit:

Flayer posted:

The new Hitman games have the highest consistentency of quality levels but I do miss the dark tone and less likeable 47 from Blood Money. The guy is sociapathic serial killer he should be a bit of a weird oval office. There's something almost worse about painting him as a hero by having all his targets be evil or deserving of punishment in some way, it glosses over answering the question about what it takes to be a ruthless killer for hire.

All the targets in all the games since at least Hitman 2 are complete dickbags. But then it's at least just a "coincidence" and not 47 personally deciding it should be like that (more of a criticism towards absolution than 2016 and 2018, but they have a bit of it too)

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 30, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've collected together some more thoughts I've had of Absolution so far:

- It's a bit weird how the game forces you into the introductory cutscene every time you start up. It's not as obnoxious as the highlight reel that plays in the background of the main menu though, which shows copious shots of Diana in the shower just because.

- For what it's worth, the tutorial mission is better than Blood Money's. That's not saying much because Blood Money's tutorial is awful but still.

- The King of Chinatown is a neat little warmup level that I imagine has quite a few options. Granted I just did the ol' "wait for the target to go to an isolated corner of the map and then fiber wire them" routine, but whatever works.

- On that note, I actually like the new fiber wire mechanic. No more hopelessly swiping at the target's back for me!

- The beginning of Terminus is not that bad, where you have to ascend a lovely old hotel filled with gangsters. That sort of adventure has been a staple of Hitman for ages. But then things go downhill very fast: first you're told that going up against the target is "too dangerous", despite this having always been an option before; this is all just to set up 47 being one-upped in a cutscene by a ridiculous Bane wannabe and his fat southern boss. 47, whose previous hits include the Vice President of the United States at the White House, is undone by a cartoonish fat southerner, despite having killed two stereotypical fat southerners in the previous game (one of which had SIX bodyguards).

- The next level, Run for your Life, is literally just running from the cops... and it goes on forever. The ending part at the subway station would actually be a good capstone to most Hitman missions, but because it's just a continuation of the rest of this boring mission, it doesn't seem at all special.

- Hunter and Hunted has some pretty good assassination bits in the strip club and during the Chinese New Year section... interspersed with some extremely bland plodding interludes.

- The hospital mission Rosewood is, as I said, bad. If you just want to kill everyone then it's probably fine, but for me that's not why I'd want to play a Hitman game. As a result you're stuck trying different options over and over again, and because of this game's not-so-masterful checkpoint system, you're also stuck listening to the same inane dialogue over and over again too.

- Welcome to Hope shouldn't even be a mission.

- The gun shop mission is alright. There are quite a few options available, and I like how all of the civilians are packing... because this is a loving gun shop in a podunk South Dakota town. The minigame is woeful though.

- Both parts of Shaving Lenny are decent, and I'm told that they are the closest this game gets to classic Hitman.

- End of the Road, much like Welcome to Hope, shouldn't even be a mission.

That's where I'm up to so far. I hope you enjoyed my rants and that you're looking forward to my encounter with the LATEX SUPERNUNS.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 30, 2020

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The cornfield bit is the best part of that game.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reading this, I realise that despite being into the series since the very original (NO SAVE GAMES FOR YOU) game, I must have entirely missed Absolution. I think I'll have to check it out, for completeness.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Red Oktober posted:

Reading this, I realise that despite being into the series since the very original (NO SAVE GAMES FOR YOU) game, I must have entirely missed Absolution. I think I'll have to check it out, for completeness.

No, you don’t have to. Take other people’s word for it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

only once you are done with Absolution, you should read my series of effortposts on the design, secrets, and development of the game from the Hitman 2016 LP thread. I don't want to, hehehahahaha, spoil anything for you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

post a link

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm struck by how the game manages to be cartoonish and yet still take itself too seriously at the same time. The story is probably even worse than all of the other Hitman games up to this point, yet it seems to present itself as this riveting Hollywood drama (at points). And I agree entirely that the Quentin Tarantino B-movie aesthetic is at odds with both the 47 character and the series as a whole.

Shaving Lenny has been a high point so far, and yet I immediately thought that the targets looked like rejects from a high school production of Grease. Then I remembered that Conan O'Brien made that exact same comment, lol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812860&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post479608724

Note these were in response to and meant to accompany a video LP, but if you've just played through you likely won't need to watch the videos to get most of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A true professional doesn't back down and call it quits before the job is done.

Mostly I remember that one challenge which as I recall required killing every enemy in all three parts of the famous sexy nun cornfield mission with no checkpoints or saves without getting detected and with no bodies found, and there are a lot of enemies on that mission. The amount of times I got caught in that last cornfield section...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kanfy posted:

Mostly I remember that one challenge which as I recall required killing every enemy in all three parts of the famous sexy nun cornfield mission with no checkpoints or saves without getting detected and with no bodies found, and there are a lot of enemies on that mission. The amount of times I got caught in that last cornfield section...

Angel of Death - Part 2

I mostly remember missing the exact angle for the fiber wire in the cornfield a lot. This led to punching a person in the face and having to re-do that section of the challenge, because it means the person noticed me. It's the reason why I didn't bother SAing the escalations involving the clown suit and Hawke's Bay in Hitman 2. You want me to knock out a whole bunch of people without getting noticed? Yeah, I did that once before, I'm not doing it again.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812860&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post479608724

Note these were in response to and meant to accompany a video LP, but if you've just played through you likely won't need to watch the videos to get most of it.

man I played through all of absolution and the only thing i remember was the dominatrix nuns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just remember like every other level in Absolution being a completely different stealth game that isn't even focused on assassination or creativity. The disguise system was also really bad, too--running out of focus on that meter was the pits.

Absolution also botched a prime opportunity that IOI will never get again: a mission to assassinate Kane And Lynch. Was cool you get to meet one of them in the bar though.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Absolution was my first hitman game. It took a while for me to believe the praise for 2016, I almost wrote off the entire series.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kanfy posted:

ffffuck you, I'm not wiping my save. Even I have limits.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I just spent hours per day for the last three days to get this to work out. So satisfying to finally get it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjoZQbwcFU

And then I look up the world record speedrun and it's just one minute. Some routes in this game are insane.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just got None Shall Pass. Slaughtering the entire island took a while, but they deserved it.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

I just spent hours per day for the last three days to get this to work out. So satisfying to finally get it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjoZQbwcFU

And then I look up the world record speedrun and it's just one minute. Some routes in this game are insane.

This is incredible. This game really is a James Bond simulator when played very well. The one minute run uses a glitch, it's kinda bullshit.

Similiar to how I imagine the doom slayer in cannon is the guy in all of those no death ultra-nightmare speedruns, I imagine this is the 47 that everyone is speaking about in reverent tones.

I mean imagine being the illuminati security guy trying to decipher what happened here. "What the gently caress, no one saw anything? We have sixty loving guards!"

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Still Dismal posted:

This is incredible. This game really is a James Bond simulator when played very well. The one minute run uses a glitch, it's kinda bullshit.

Similiar to how I imagine the doom slayer in cannon is the guy in all of those no death ultra-nightmare speedruns, I imagine this is the 47 that everyone is speaking about in reverent tones.

I mean imagine being the illuminati security guy trying to decipher what happened here. "What the gently caress, no one saw anything? We have sixty loving guards!"

Thanks!

Yeah, the tranq gun thing is kind of a bummer. I didn't know you could shoot the virus through the glass with a powerful rifle, though, so that's cool.

And the throwing the phone up the balcony thing was clever in the 1 minute run imo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You don’t need a powerful rifle to shoot the virus through the glass. Any pistol will do. Depending on your choice and the range it just might take a while (or maybe you’ll instantly get a perfect Silverballer shot).

Using the remote EMP on the laptop is way neater tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Actually the canon 47 is the one dropping rubber sharks on heads and shooting planes with antique cannons.