Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

about six or seven honks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well I beat the game. Overall I liked it more than 2 in a vacuum, a lot less of the stuff I didn't like about it. I really enjoyed Ash and Juna as well as some more of the Sky cast reappearing, and I'm curious how IV is gonna go. I feel like one thing that's probably going to have a problem with though is having more characters than it can devote proper time to, because this one felt really bloated in that regard in a lot of places.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Iverron posted:

Are any of these Hajimari trailers / intros safe to watch without having played CS4?
The actual written info is obviously full of detail. But the OP was entirely contextless hype if you ask me.

CANT WAIT TO PLAY 4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That fight with C in the mines was no joke. Rean spent the fight Arc Slashing the robots while Angelica wailed on C hoping for a Faint. I mean, it worked, but it wasn’t pretty.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I jumped into Trails in the Sky 3rd straight after finally finishing Second Chapter. I just reached the Sixth Plane.

Having played Cold Steel 1 and 2, and Zero, I am kind of amazed at just how much of those other arcs is being foreshadowed by 3rd (and Liberl in general). As well as how much 'capital-L' Lore there is being revealed in the Moon/Star/Sun Doors (just watched 'Salt Pale'). I haven't even opened that many yet! For example, I watched the one with Osborne today and it was pretty cool to hear conversation about how his policies create terrorists - with my knowing about the Imperial Liberation Front.

I think I am going to wait for the Azure Geofront patch before playing Cold Steel 3/4/Hajimari. Having almost finished the Liberl arc, and half of each of the other two arcs, has made me realise that the connective tissue runs a lot deeper than just easter eggs and cameos. Its really been making me wonder how much there was going on in Cold Steel 1 and 2 that went over my head (I had only played FC before them).

As a game, I am finding 3rd to be a pretty great epilogue/gaiden. The structure definitely works for me, and I think its actually really interesting how its spaced out. I'm not sure I would have had the stamina for 3rd if it had world traversal and job boards, etc. But as it is, 3rd feels like it gives you both narrative and gameplay on tap to set your own balance with. Feel like combat? Well then you can pretty comfortably get through a dungeon in a sitting or two, enjoying the arc's most diverse party options and challenging combat. Need a break? Want some story? Check your list of Doors for whichever character you feel like learning more about. Its very digestible.

The more time I have spent with Trails in the Sky, the more I have gotten out of it and grown to like it. And I think that is probably true of The Legend of Heroes overall. The series certainly isn't perfect, but whether its Estelle's maturation as a bracer and person across Trails, or schemes that span the entire series, LoH is attempting both characterisation and plot on a scale that not really any other franchise is.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm definitely warming to 3rd, but I have to wonder how much of that is the fact that I got Estelle into my.party last night. It's fantastic how much the crew cares about each other and the writing actually supports what it tells you about the characters through informed attributes. Also that door for Estelle and Joshua about the first few weeks Joshua was at the Bright household was genuinely some of the most heartwarming cute poo poo I've ever seen in a video game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Probably finishing Zero this weekend (maybe today??). Does anyone have a PC game clear from CS1 I can use to start CS2? I got max points on my play......but that was on the vita haha.
Also do any mods for CS2 PC exist?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't think any of the bonuses you get from CS1-> CS2 are that big, I think you get an accessory that is decently early game and an atk 2 quartz to start.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

infraboy posted:

I don't think any of the bonuses you get from CS1-> CS2 are that big, I think you get an accessory that is decently early game and an atk 2 quartz to start.

Quest Bros saying hi is more than worth it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Of note in that Hajimari OP: It's not fully just 3D animation. Falcom finally started using motion capture, which means their animation is going to take a massive leap now that they can have actual people acting out scenes and using facial expressions and stuff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walking away while waving goodbye will never be the same again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

iirc they first used it in Ys 9.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've got Fie to 100% Evasion and it's as hilarious as everyone says.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Fie with a ton of evasion and that quartz that lets you critcal every counter attack linked to Laura and it's bye bye monsters and bosses

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hwurmp posted:

Pour one out

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
So I like the Trails soundtrack as much as anybody else, but I just found out today there's an entire album of Hoshi no Arika covers.

I'd say "this feels a little excessive," but in reality I'm just mad that I don't see a piano cover along the lines of the song that plays at the end of Sky 1.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I've got Fie to 100% Evasion and it's as hilarious as everyone says.

Fie doing Fie things.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Untouchable Fie is fun but using it means letting the enemy have turns and that just will not do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fie has a delay craft, you can do both

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

that stock animation was worth it just for the gag where ash walks away while flipping rean off

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ash should flip more people off

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what would be a better idea, jumping right to Cold Steel 2 or taking some time off and playing Trails in the Sky and getting some context? (Playing Trails of Azure I guess would be the better option, but that's not going to happen.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You lose nothing from jumping straight from Steel 1 to Steel 2. Trails in the Sky only becomes plot-relevant in Steel 3. The end-game of Steel 2 touches on Zero/Azure but if you've played Zero that's all you'd need to understand the barrage of names and ideas and frankly apart from being confused it doesn't matter if you don't understand them.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Finished Zero earlier today. Really enjoyed it. Going to play something small and different then jump into CS2, but man I already can't wait for geofront's Azure patch haha.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nRoT2uNrE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sword

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

20C is hot imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

68oF is not hot, it is just about as nice as it gets

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pannedcake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pannedcake

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't realize it's actually so easy to play Trails of Zero that even a dumb-dumb like me can do it, so I'm playing that now. It's already interesting to see things I've only heard mentioned in CS, like the Eight Leaves bracer who I think was mentioned once towards the end of Cold Steel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah Cassius is pretty cool. Think he was mentioned elsewhere though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I assume that's Arios being referred to.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
E: Wrong thread, please ignore

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 4, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

68(how to make tiny degree circle) is freezing in my book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cyouni posted:

I assume that's Arios being referred to.

Right.

It's funny that the CPD's big idea (well, one of their officers) to not totally suck was 'be like bracers.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes sorry I knew what you meant, I just couldn't resist the joke.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

CS3 is a long rear end game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Iverron posted:

CS3 is a long rear end game.

Aint it great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why did you just post a cutscene from TOCS3?