Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

I sided with Chiaki on my first playthrough and I really liked it. Not necessarily from an outside the universe, what world would I personally want to make irl angle (although the specific implementation of the reason is so vague there's definitely room to interpret it positively), but from an inside the universe angle I liked the story it told of these two friends who both found new strength after the end of the world, and it felt like the choices were pretty reasonable for a kid in the demi-fiend's scenario.

I'm aiming for Yosuga in my next run. I was on a Yosuga route in my aborted HardType run, too. Chiaki is certainly the most interesting of the three Reason reps to me as well. I just wish they all had more screentime. For additional character and stuff I was gonna try to read the translation of the Nocturne Drama CDs but they were on a LiveJournal which is now dead and I can't find it anywhere else.... I might ask if anybody on r/megaten still has a copy of it or something.

Yosuga has more going for it than just Chiaki which helps, too. I thought Thor and Gozu-Tennoh were fuckin' awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhG8IxtYtIQ

But for Chiaki herself, her "re-introduction" cutscene really is one of the more memorable parts of the game. It's not at all like Gozu-Tennoh or typical Chaos stuff. There's none of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltZYONI44M

None of the blood and primal eeriness that you get with other Chaos speeches and music like the last two songs. The music and lighting and framing makes it sound like she's proposing something wonderful and beautiful and pure. And to her, it is all of those things. But the contrast of what she's saying and the tone set by everything else in the scene just always stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Doesn't Koromaru have pups by the time the fighting game happened? the only persona user that's also a dad, just sayin'

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

Doesn't Koromaru have pups by the time the fighting game happened? the only persona user that's also a dad, just sayin'
The Chad Koromaru vs the Virgins Morgana and Teddie.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Aigis fills all the "nonhuman simp" requirements for P3 anyway

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

projecthalaxy posted:

Aigis fills all the "nonhuman simp" requirements for P3 anyway

So does Elizabeth

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So does Elizabeth

Theo, however, is not a simp. Theo is a nice young man.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Just started Eternal Punishment and got smacked in the face with the loss of the QoL changes from Innocent Sin’s PSP port.

The greatest tragedy of no English patch for EP’s PSP port is dealing with those battle menus in the PSX version...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess I was "lucky," I played Innocent Sin PS1 with fan translation so EP was actually a huge step up in terms of gameplay.

Why did they introduce skill cards in EP then drop them for P3 and vanilla P4?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Marching Powder posted:

Lot of fans for the guy whose entire personality consisted of simpering flattery for the main chracter and leering sexual aggression for everyone else.

Consider spending less time on the internet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I find myself liking the idea of Teddie: A Shadow that wanted to be a human so badly but his first exposure to humans is with rear end in a top hat teenagers instead, and how he has to grow from their terrible influence. The problem is that the execution is abysmal.

It seemed like the idea was to set Teddie up as an impressionable kid who's cargo culting the whole pick-up artist deal. But instead of the group taking Teddie aside once he's got his human form and explaining to him just what he's actually doing, Teddie lives with Yosuke and becomes an even bigger sex pest.

hopeandjoy posted:

Just started Eternal Punishment and got smacked in the face with the loss of the QoL changes from Innocent Sin’s PSP port.

The greatest tragedy of no English patch for EP’s PSP port is dealing with those battle menus in the PSX version...

Here's something neat to try out: If you have a dead party member, you can use them in group negotiations with demons. The living characters either mourn them, swear vengeance or even mock the dead party member. It even updates throughout the game depending on how close the characters become.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you pay attention, Yosuke actually almost completely stops perving once Teddie comes to the real world, too. He still does a few rude things like with the beauty pageant, but he pretty much kinda goes with the role of straight man of the group afterwards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you pay attention, Yosuke actually almost completely stops perving once Teddie comes to the real world, too. He still does a few rude things like with the beauty pageant, but he pretty much kinda goes with the role of straight man of the group afterwards.

I've always been from the camp that Yosuke is gay or bi, even without the famous cut rank 10 scene. But because he's a teenager in a podunk nowhere country town, he has no idea what to do with that and no role models to look to.

His relationship with Teddie post-TV-leaving fits into that, but so does his relationship with near everyone else before him. He's kinda performative about his interest in Saki, then Yukiko, then Rise, because he wants people to believe that instead of the notion that maybe he likes dudes, similar to why Kanji put up his tough-guy persona. ...then he's really lovely to Kanji partly to try throwing the scent onto him, but also because he still doesn't know what his attraction to men means and is scared that if he's open about it (and that Kanji also likes dudes) then that means they have to do things.

But then Teddie leaves his suit, and somehow the most homophobic character in the cast is totally fine with sharing a room with him indefinitely, almost like he actually likes it and is comfortable with this arrangement. And then all the performative sexuality and homophobia both stop, because maybe what this means isn't actually scary now that he's facing it more directly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I've always been from the camp that Yosuke is gay or bi, even without the famous cut rank 10 scene. But because he's a teenager in a podunk nowhere country town, he has no idea what to do with that and no role models to look to.

His relationship with Teddie post-TV-leaving fits into that, but so does his relationship with near everyone else before him. He's kinda performative about his interest in Saki, then Yukiko, then Rise, because he wants people to believe that instead of the notion that maybe he likes dudes, similar to why Kanji put up his tough-guy persona. ...then he's really lovely to Kanji partly to try throwing the scent onto him, but also because he still doesn't know what his attraction to men means and is scared that if he's open about it (and that Kanji also likes dudes) then that means they have to do things.

But then Teddie leaves his suit, and somehow the most homophobic character in the cast is totally fine with sharing a room with him indefinitely, almost like he actually likes it and is comfortable with this arrangement. And then all the performative sexuality and homophobia both stop, because maybe what this means isn't actually scary now that he's facing it more directly.

When Teddie asks to smooch you I immediately chose the "Give him all you got" option. Then Dojima walks in on you and Teddie nose-to-nose...drat.

It really is funny, the same guy who was worried about sleeping in the same tent as Kanji asks a gorgeous boy to move in with him, a gorgeous boy who is very easy with physical affection. Hearing the word "glomp" made me feel like a teenager myself again...

The Investigation Team are just a perfect little poly family if old Japanese men in 2008 had any idea what that was. But the days of Best Girl and OTPs are gone and it's plain to see, for example, Yosuke has clear borderline intimate relationship with Yu, Chie and Teddie. Yukiko and Chie are just as obvious with them also having feelings for Yu and Chie for Yosuke. Teddie, much as he mimics Yosuke's "look how straight I am!" male tenagerness, is far closer to the MC and Yosuke than any of the girls. And I would never come between Kanji and Naoto, one-sided or not. It just makes sense to not try to forcibly pair them all off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Persona 4 Golden made Teddie about 100x worse just cause his VA is way way more annoying and grating in it.

Sam Riegel usually does good work but they leaned into the whine on Teddie's voice way too much compared to base game ted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

And then all the performative sexuality and homophobia both stop

he gets in a few more gay jabs at kanji in the very same scene where he reveals teddie's moved in with him, iirc

it's the same scene where kanji good-naturedly replies he's going to put yosuke in traction if he keeps that poo poo up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I finished my P4G run, time for a new Nocturne run. I ain't waiting six months or whatever for it to come out here.

The thing that scares me most about Hard Mode is shop prices being tripled. Terrifying. HardType mod turned this down to merely double which was still pretty pricy for some of the later magatama if I remember right. I dunno, I can't ecall ever grinding for money in the game but triple shop prices sounds brutal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Sam Riegel Teddie, Wittenberg was notably better as Shadow Teddie and with the "Show me your hearts" line though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I got to Carina and progressing the plot, so I have to ask when can I change the alignment of my character?

So far it only makes sense to use a neutral party so I can mop up fights easy the instant I notice the weakness of the enemy, and abuse co-op attacks...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

I got to Carina and progressing the plot, so I have to ask when can I change the alignment of my character?

So far it only makes sense to use a neutral party so I can mop up fights easy the instant I notice the weakness of the enemy, and abuse co-op attacks...

Good question. I feel like yo only really get Law/Neutral/Chaos points from how you respond to the bosses at the end of a dungeon ,or at the very least that's where most of your points come from, especially in the first half of the game.

I really wish I could remember when exactly my Space Marine made it to Chaos... I wanna say it was World D or E at the latest but I was making very consistent Chaos choices. I feel like it was absolutely E at the latest because I had a Chaos party against the big boss there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In the original you can change your alignment at any time by visiting the fairy village on the top half of the first map. There's a goblin digging for treasure - most of the time interacting with him does nothing but occasionally you get a pair of choices that let you shift your alignment a bit. It's tedious (NG+ actually makes the event trigger more often, so it's deliberately tedious) but you should be able to freely swap your alignment that way for all your minmaxing needs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

NikkolasKing posted:

The Investigation Team are just a perfect little poly family if old Japanese men in 2008 had any idea what that was. But the days of Best Girl and OTPs are gone and it's plain to see, for example, Yosuke has clear borderline intimate relationship with Yu, Chie and Teddie. Yukiko and Chie are just as obvious with them also having feelings for Yu and Chie for Yosuke. Teddie, much as he mimics Yosuke's "look how straight I am!" male tenagerness, is far closer to the MC and Yosuke than any of the girls. And I would never come between Kanji and Naoto, one-sided or not. It just makes sense to not try to forcibly pair them all off.

This leaves out Rise

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Junpei posted:

This leaves out Rise

Good point but does she actually have a notably closer relationship to anyone in the team other than the MC?

I guess Yu can just date all the girls and boys, make it a full-on harem. Don't want to make her feel left out.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

playing persona 4 for the first time and i have a question. is hit rate tied to level? im on the rise dungeon and getting horribly owned by the upper floor enemies. even with the highest accuracy weapons i can get it feels like my attacks are missing constantly. im around level 30.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

playing persona 4 for the first time and i have a question. is hit rate tied to level? im on the rise dungeon and getting horribly owned by the upper floor enemies. even with the highest accuracy weapons i can get it feels like my attacks are missing constantly. im around level 30.

I think you must be having awful luck. Level 30 is definitely enough to deal with the mobs in that dungeon.

You should be using magic to exploit weaknesses more than physical attacks if you can manage it.

Also see if you can find and fuse a Persona with Panic spells. Very useful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ASenileAnimal posted:

At 30 you're not even that much lower than you're expected to be at the end of that dungeon (around 35). I don't think it is, though. I also don't think there's much value in melee attacks most of the time, and weapon damage and hit rates only affect your melee attack. If you're just missing everything all the time, Agility is the stat that modifies hit rate I believe.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

also goddamn this game was made so much better with Enemy Lullaby while re-exploring old sectors

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you must be having awful luck. Level 30 is definitely enough to deal with the mobs in that dungeon.

You should be using magic to exploit weaknesses more than physical attacks if you can manage it.

Also see if you can find and fuse a Persona with Panic spells. Very useful.

ah ok didnt think to try status spells. most of the enemies seem to resist alot of the spells i have or have no weakness. ive only played through 5 and it seemed alot easier since almost every enemy had a weakness you could exploit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

he gets in a few more gay jabs at kanji in the very same scene where he reveals teddie's moved in with him, iirc

it's the same scene where kanji good-naturedly replies he's going to put yosuke in traction if he keeps that poo poo up

Yeah, 'stop' is the wrong word, but he mostly cuts them out after that point. There's that scene itself and there's some sexism around the beauty pageant. But going that far down in frequency is still pretty good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hopeandjoy posted:

I wanna play the bonus scenario with lovecraftian monsters dammit!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This Womb of Grief sector wasnt in the original game right? Im trying to keep up the progress with it as I go with the A->B->C sectors, dunno if its loving the curve of experience tho because the enemies I fight in the other sectors are way easier than the ones in WoG

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's no Womb of Grief in the original Strange Journey, no.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

This Womb of Grief sector wasnt in the original game right? Im trying to keep up the progress with it as I go with the A->B->C sectors, dunno if its loving the curve of experience tho because the enemies I fight in the other sectors are way easier than the ones in WoG

I didn't get overleveled or anything from keeping up with the WoG so you should be fine. Plus you get some incredibly useful stuff out of it. The first level of it I think has an App that will be invaluable for an upcoming sector.

Just one of the many ways SJR is nicer than the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also wanna say something about The Killer...

I jokingly talked about the Accomplice route earlier but having gotten the true ending and also completed his S Link this run, I think the true ending is the only happy ending possible for Adachi. His cackling maniac demeanor doesn't seem any more real than his goofball act. Izanami calls the three people she met Emptiness, Despair and Hope. Yu is obviously Hope and Namatame is also pretty obviously Despair. Adachi is Emptiness, a word I associate with the Mitsuo kid. He might be way smarter but Adachi is just as miserable and the only way it seems he truly escapes this misery is in the true ending. Facing prison and his crimes brought some actual peace to him and he seems to respect Yu a lot more. Not to mention his relationship with Dojima. These two connections or dare I say bonds are giving his life some meaning for the first time ever.

Also people always compared Akechi to Light Yagami but I see more of Light in Adachi. Had neither of them been given supernatural powers, they might never have turned out how they did. Well, we know for a fact Light wouldn't have. A lot of their issues also start with "boredom" but grow to encapsulate so much more than that.

Kinda sad I never actually played more of Ultimax now.... I just don't really like fighting games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've seen conflicting answers on this and I'd like to just ssk it here.

What does Agility and Luck effect for the Demifiend? I'm going for a Mage build again and so accuracy with spells is probably useful....

Also, random thought: I was once very happy to have the Demi-Fiend after being "saddled" with Space Marine who was nothing compared to his demons. But after IV and IVA, I think I'm okay with another protagonist who is just a dude with a sword and a gun, no magic.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

why yes I did manage to turn my alignment into Law so I can use Anahita in my party Anthony

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/5wkz2b/nocturne_formulas_that_use_agility_and_luck/

quote:

Somewhat by request, below are all formulas I've discovered for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne that use Agility or Luck. I'll also go into what I think about some of these formulas, and what I wanted to change for my Hardtype hack of this game.

Key:

DF = Demi-Fiend

PA = party average

EA = enemy average

[] = truncation

Formulas:

Chance of Enemy Back Attack: 12 * (EA_Lv + EA_Agi + [EA_Luck/2]) / (MC_Lv + MC_Agi + [MC_Luck/2])

Physical Accuracy: Skill_Accuracy + ([Attacker_Agi/[Attacker_Lv/5 + 3]] * 6.25) - ([Defender_Agi/[Defender_Lv/5 + 3]] * 6.25)

Critical Hit Chance: Physical_Accuracy_Formula_Result / Skill_Accuracy * Skill_Crit_Rate

Magical Accuracy: Skill_Accuracy * (Attacker_Lv + Attacker_Mag2 + [Attacker_Luck/2] + 17.5) / (Defender_Lv + [Defender_Agi1.5] + Defender_Luck + 17.5)

Ailment and Instant Death Chance: no stats involved

Item Drop Rate: no stats involved

Escape Chance (Normal mode only): 20 + 20 * (2 + (PA_Agi + PA_Luck)/4.2) / (2 + (EA_Agi + EA_Luck)/4.2)

Player Chance to Act First: (72 + (DF_Lv + [DF_Luck/2] + DF_Agi) - (EA_Lv + EA_Agi + [EA_Luck/2])) * x

x = An enemy-encounter-specific value, can be 1.0, 0.8, 0.6, 0.4, or 0

Maximum Value = 85%

Minimum Value = 50%

Comments:

Luck doesn't do much. It plays no role in critical hit chance or ailments at all, and it's effects on acting first in combat and avoiding back attacks are eclipsed by agility.

The Physical Accuracy and Critical Hit Chance formulas are, frankly, a trainwreck. Your character level causes you to perform worse in both accuracy and critical hit chance, and the truncation is far too extreme. To give an example, if you were level 50, then (Lv/5+3) = 13. This means that only every 13th point of Agi has any benefit to you at all. If you had 12 or 1 Agi, it would have the same effect. Same for 13 and 25 Agi. At high enough level, there's even no difference between 1 and 40 Agi.

The magic stat is ridiculously self-sufficient, providing magic damage, magic accuracy, and MP.

Heh, I've been dumping all my points into Magic since the game started. I did right.

Probably could do with a bit of Agility to try to avoid back attacks. That's ad death sentence with certain mobs on Hard in early game like this.

frajaq posted:

why yes I did manage to turn my alignment into Law so I can use Anahita in my party Anthony

Are you trying for the Law Ending? That was my choice for my first run of SJ as well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anyone playing Soul Hackers? Give me some tips.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

well quite possibly, now that I know it exists. Have so much poo poo to do and explore tho...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tired Moritz posted:

Anyone playing Soul Hackers? Give me some tips.

I turned on the option to save anywhere because the 3ds version would freeze sometimes, so watch out for that.

Other than that I remember the game being fairly easy. Demons cost mag just walking around in your party, so you might want to handle random battles with a smaller group and summon the full team for boss battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

well quite possibly, now that I know it exists. Have so much poo poo to do and explore tho...

Most every SMT game has multiple endings which are determined by whatever faction you join. How you join that faction varies - SMTIV forced me onto the Law route for reasons I'm still not sure why and the Neutral route in that game sounds like total bullshit to get - but if you at all care about the story or characters or stuff, you gotta watch out for this. SJ in particular will give you ample reasons to think about what might happen if you side with Law or Chaos so just keep that in mind as you progress through the game. The game kinda throws you a bone if you aren't TOO far gone down Law or Chaos, though which is nice. (I was too far gone in both runs.)

In terms of game content you mostly just get a variety of final bosses or some endgame quests. It's not like a WRPG with a bunch of branching paths throughout t the game. It's all backloaded.