Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Edge & Christian posted:

Not entirely sure what you're asking but in general there are hundreds/thousands of comics that have been published in the past few years that have been attempts at allowing diverse voices/representation in comics, with varying levels of success.

This article focuses on the pre-publication promotional material for two books that haven't been published yet, one of which inspired a big backlash from the very "SJW"s who it was hypothetically meant to appeal to. It feels pretty cherry-picking to characterize an entire publisher/industry based on two books that have not been published.

Really all i was asking for was work that good and treated representation and minority voices respectfully and with good stories. I was just worried that despite me being away for so long comics hadn't progressed from like Xtreme Xmens Lifeguard and Slipstream or Avengers Triathlon and having no idea how to treat things with delicate and mature hands.

Im happy to hear that there have been some success, if varying degrees, and hundreds to thousands of attempts where this was not an example of representation but a tone deaf cis version of inclusion that the LGBTI community rejected for being so clearly "what the gently caress".

Unrelated but throwing my mind back to Marvels attempts at inclusionism when i was reading them: Did Reginald Hudlin get any better or is that run on Black Panther discontinuity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel rarely makes previous comics explicitly out of continuity, usually for dumb bullshit that's best ignored they do precisely that. So while there's no comic that explicitly says "no, Wakanda doesn't have a cure for cancer that they refuse to share with the world," there's also no comics that ever talk about that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uthor posted:

The comments to those gave me a lot of accounts that I should block.

I've been blocking gators for 6 years and there's always more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well they have to keep creating new alts after their current account gets blocked by too many people

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yes I'm the idiot who owns every issue of Fallen Angels.

hey

there are two of us

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Thibert's kinda doubling down on the cancer thing...

https://twitter.com/ArtThibert/status/1289452863647703041

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alaois posted:

hey

there are two of us

Three, but I’ve been buying every X-Men book. I’m glad that’s the only real stinker.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Skwirl posted:

There's also the bit in Jane Thor where she fights Absorbing Man and he says some misogynist poo poo about Thor being a women. That I thought was dumb, because he's married to Titannia, she wouldn't put up with that kinda crap from her spouse.

That is literally how that scene ends, with Titannia clapping Creel around the ears and sending them both off to jail because he's being such a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Marvel rarely makes previous comics explicitly out of continuity, usually for dumb bullshit that's best ignored they do precisely that. So while there's no comic that explicitly says "no, Wakanda doesn't have a cure for cancer that they refuse to share with the world," there's also no comics that ever talk about that.

Yeah, on some level I like that things are usually just ignored if they're a terrible idea. Sadly now and then you get things like Millar bringing back Hank Pym as a domestic abuser in Ultimates. I worry one day somebody will have the big idea to revisit Avengers #200.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Marcus was brought back to play a supporting role in Kurt Busiek's big Kang epic in the early aughts, it wasn't great but it was far from as bad as it could have been.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, on some level I like that things are usually just ignored if they're a terrible idea. Sadly now and then you get things like Millar bringing back Hank Pym as a domestic abuser in Ultimates. I worry one day somebody will have the big idea to revisit Avengers #200.

And when those ideas get revisited, they tend to stick too.

I didn’t know about that until The Ultimates. But now it’s a defining characteristic of Pym.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's kind of a thing where writers have to find ways to manufacture conflict within their stories somehow. There are thousands of stories where dramatic trauma or deep-seated issues between character have been satisfyingly resolved or satisfyingly conquered -- I'd say, on the aggregate, there are more stories about characters being fixed than characters being broken -- but those thousands of stories aren't the ones being called back off the bench to be put into play.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lid posted:

Unrelated but throwing my mind back to Marvels attempts at inclusionism when i was reading them: Did Reginald Hudlin get any better or is that run on Black Panther discontinuity?

I feel like there isn't a lot from that run that's ever talked about now, besides Storm and T'Challa's marriage. The current Black Panther solo book is a lot closer to Priest's than Hudlin's, or was before it went off on this weird multi-year tangent about Wakandans in space.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

I feel like there isn't a lot from that run that's ever talked about now, besides Storm and T'Challa's marriage. The current Black Panther solo book is a lot closer to Priest's than Hudlin's, or was before it went off on this weird multi-year tangent about Wakandans in space.

It did introduce Shuri

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Evan Dorkin (MILK & CHEESE, etc.) posted this on his tumblr a little while ago:

In case you were wondering where he stands on CG.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Considering the dude wrote the the Eltingville Club that's pleasantly unsurprising

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Evan Dorkin seems like a class act. I have a couple of friends that host a Bill & Ted podcast called San Dimas Today and had him on as a guest and I've never been more jealous of them.

(Dorkin wrote the Bill and Ted comics)

Also, even Patton Oswalt is clowning on EVS and Thibert

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eltingville club's last issue is one of the most searing indictments of "women comic fans aren't real fans and are ruining comics" mindset I've ever read. It's great.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I just read that whole series out of curiosity and holy poo poo, yeah.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I loved the adult swim pilot that was made. I’ll have to check out the comic itself sometime

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Nthing that Evan Dorkin has always been a good egg and that just about everything he's put out is worth reading. It's funny that (at least for a time) he was best known for Milk & Cheese when things like Dork/Hectic Planet/Eltingville/Beasts of Burden have always shown a lot more depth.

Though that said even Milk & Cheese at its most base and crude would look down on Comicsgate with utter contempt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not directly comicsgate related, because I think she left the industry before comicsgate had a label but :lol:
https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1291484609419542528?s=20

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Nthing that Evan Dorkin has always been a good egg and that just about everything he's put out is worth reading. It's funny that (at least for a time) he was best known for Milk & Cheese when things like Dork/Hectic Planet/Eltingville/Beasts of Burden have always shown a lot more depth.

Though that said even Milk & Cheese at its most base and crude would look down on Comicsgate with utter contempt.

He's also married to Sarah Dyer who's been doing good work for decades, such as : https://womenincomics.fandom.com/wiki/Action_Girl_Comics

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The end of Eltingville was so perfect, funny and scary and bleak all at the same time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

The end of Eltingville was so perfect, funny and scary and bleak all at the same time.

One thing I really liked about the ending was that it showed how (spoilers for a five year old comic I guess ) Was how Jerry's life improved after getting away from the club. He's shown to have a job being a professional magic player, he's had a ton of great experiences and friends because of it. He's even got a girlfriend. It's a nice way of showing how positive fandom can be if you get away from the horrible people in it.

Everyone else stuck in the club is a toxic piece of garbage. They're all varying degrees of assholes and losers, with Bill being the worst of all. At the end everyone else is stuck in this car, which is drawn to be almost like a black hole. Jerry leaves but the other three are there still bitching about a trailer for a movie but they'll all have to see it. It's fantastic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Monaghan posted:

One thing I really liked about the ending was that it showed how (spoilers for a five year old comic I guess ) Was how Jerry's life improved after getting away from the club. He's shown to have a job being a professional magic player, he's had a ton of great experiences and friends because of it. He's even got a girlfriend. It's a nice way of showing how positive fandom can be if you get away from the horrible people in it.

Everyone else stuck in the club is a toxic piece of garbage. They're all varying degrees of assholes and losers, with Bill being the worst of all. At the end everyone else is stuck in this car, which is drawn to be almost like a black hole. Jerry leaves but the other three are there still bitching about a trailer for a movie but they'll all have to see it. It's fantastic.

When you look at the entire series in retrospect, Lou the comic shop owner really becomes the unspoken villain. As much as the Club despises him, he turns out to be their strongest role model in terms of what "fandom" is - an excuse to be exclusionary and exploitative. Jerry succeeds because he's still following his hobby out of genuine love for it - the others continue to wallow in it to spite someone else or put themselves in a position of superiority. Jerry also has been receiving help with his mental health, so he has a support system the others clearly don't. That little flashback to the first meeting of the Eltingville Club is a heartbreaker because it's at a point where all four of them still have an authentic appreciation for their hobbies/collections and haven't been soured by the toxic elements of it, i.e. the Lous of the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there anything poo poo about Axel Alonso that I should know?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1291856830004473856?s=21

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Monaghan posted:

Splint Chesthair posted:

When you look at the entire series in retrospect, Lou the comic shop owner really becomes the unspoken villain. As much as the Club despises him, he turns out to be their strongest role model in terms of what "fandom" is - an excuse to be exclusionary and exploitative. Jerry succeeds because he's still following his hobby out of genuine love for it - the others continue to wallow in it to spite someone else or put themselves in a position of superiority. Jerry also has been receiving help with his mental health, so he has a support system the others clearly don't. That little flashback to the first meeting of the Eltingville Club is a heartbreaker because it's at a point where all four of them still have an authentic appreciation for their hobbies/collections and haven't been soured by the toxic elements of it, i.e. the Lous of the world.
I think what also helps is that in the aftermath of burning down Lou's shop, Jerry's the only one whose family seems to have a healthy reaction to this and his family in general seems to be the only one who actually pays attention to him and his issues. Pete's dad threatens to break his legs and demands he get a summer job and throw out his collection, Josh's dad guilt trips the gently caress out of him over how his hobby has put stress on his mother, Bill's mom's reaction is "well I guess you hate me and I don't know why but we're going somewhere else until this blows over" and previously tried to hire intervention people to scare him straight and Jerry's mom is like "I'm really disappointed in you and when your dad is home we'll have to talk about it and you're not seeing those guys again". Everyone else blames the hobby and interests and that makes the boys hostile and entrenched but Jerry's folks rightly recognize that the hobby isn't the problem but the fact that he's in a crab bucket.

I wish I read this series earlier because...drat it's a pretty loving powerful series when you put it all together.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jesus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What did Jud do? Like is he a full CG?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I don't think we know. He was put on administrative leave five days after being made publisher. I'm guessing either he committed a crime (either stealing from the company or sexual assault so egregious it can't be dismissed with a "he said/she said" ) or they discovered he's a full on Nazi.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bunnyofdoom posted:

It was a few pages ago, but everything substantiated appears to be garden variety 'serial scammer of business partners' more than anything affiliated with Comicsgate. The paper trail of him being Not A Good Businessman goes back to lawsuits in 2012 (if not earlier), so "why did IDW promote him so high" is an open question.

Alex DeCampi implied with no elaboration that there were issues of his treatment of women beyond the shady business moves but I don't think anything specific came out beyond this.

Either way, he's definitely a dishonest crook/embezzler, he may have been lovely towards women, but to his credit he has not (to my knowledge) thrown in with ComicsGate. He might just be a freelance scumbag!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hostile V posted:

I think what also helps is that in the aftermath of burning down Lou's shop, Jerry's the only one whose family seems to have a healthy reaction to this and his family in general seems to be the only one who actually pays attention to him and his issues. Pete's dad threatens to break his legs and demands he get a summer job and throw out his collection, Josh's dad guilt trips the gently caress out of him over how his hobby has put stress on his mother, Bill's mom's reaction is "well I guess you hate me and I don't know why but we're going somewhere else until this blows over" and previously tried to hire intervention people to scare him straight and Jerry's mom is like "I'm really disappointed in you and when your dad is home we'll have to talk about it and you're not seeing those guys again". Everyone else blames the hobby and interests and that makes the boys hostile and entrenched but Jerry's folks rightly recognize that the hobby isn't the problem but the fact that he's in a crab bucket.

I wish I read this series earlier because...drat it's a pretty loving powerful series when you put it all together.

This is a great point. That’s the only appearance Jerry’s mom makes in the entire series, I think. Her reaction definitely implies that he was always better positioned to outgrow the club than the others.

Eltingville was very helpful to me as a teen because I definitely did used to get into flame wars on AOL about Kyle Rayner and which Simpsons episodes were the worst.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

This is a great point. That’s the only appearance Jerry’s mom makes in the entire series, I think. Her reaction definitely implies that he was always better positioned to outgrow the club than the others.

Eltingville was very helpful to me as a teen because I definitely did used to get into flame wars on AOL about Kyle Rayner and which Simpsons episodes were the worst.

I was more of a Northwest Comix Collective type

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Not directly comicsgate related, because I think she left the industry before comicsgate had a label but :lol:
https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1291484609419542528?s=20

Molly is odd... on one hand, Dr. Sketchy's is super cool, and a lot of her political writing is excellent.

On the other hand, she has a lot of terrible friends. Like Weev and Warren Ellis.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Molly is odd... on one hand, Dr. Sketchy's is super cool, and a lot of her political writing is excellent.

On the other hand, she has a lot of terrible friends. Like Weev and Warren Ellis.

Yeah, she's a character herself. Nothing criminal or wretched as CG, but she's kind of in line with Vice type "journalism".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think being buddies with loving Weev puts you past the rankings of being "a character" into outright sucking

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/GratuitousSax/status/1292610041254748160

I guess she does just have one huge hip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hadn't seen that Artgerm cover before. That coloring is so good. It's also funny because in the comments, the artist of the abomination on the right calls Artgerm's cover "a computer generated crossdressing supergirl cosplay cover" lol