Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
In the fridge I had sliced cucumbers with vinegar. I also had sliced zucchini. Guess which one I got out for my husband to roast for dinner... :doh:

Roasted cucumber turned out to be not terrible but the spice mix did not go with the vinegar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

Hi, eat this glob here, you may remember me from such posts as "lost fingat to mandolin" and "here comes the metric system."

I drew blood the other night with a pair of tongs. I was grilling a beautiful t-bone and "clacked" the tongs together (as is required by cooking law), and a pointy bit near the base pinched the tip my ring finger against another pointy bit and I sprung a leak. I finished grilling the steak and corn left handed and cleaned up the bloody hand before eating.

Sucks, but what are you gonna do, not clack the tongs?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

User Error posted:

Sucks, but what are you gonna do, not clack the tongs?

Right? I'll do my best to keep out of the danger zone next time though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In the last month I have given myself more cooking injuries than in the previous 20+ years of cooking. I cut the tip of my finger off while slicing bread (bread!?!) and had to wear a homemade finger stall for a week while it healed. Made the constant handwashing/sanitising super easy and fun I tell ya.
Then about a week after it healed, I burned myself and got a 1 inch blister on my thumb. Which burst while I was in the supermarket, the first such visit in 2 weeks due to the whole pandemic situation. Return of the homemade finger stall for another week :(

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

It hungers.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
*squints* those out of focus purple things are BEETS.

You liar! That's not blood!
Now pick up a root vegetable and get back in there! Your next post better have CLOTTING in it.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
:chloe:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The real disaster is using beets for anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Quiet Feet posted:

The real disaster is using beets for anything.

I'll beet your face in.

ExecuDork posted:

*squints* those out of focus purple things are BEETS.

You liar! That's not blood!
Now pick up a root vegetable and get back in there! Your next post better have CLOTTING in it.

CLOTTING YOU SAY

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Still tasted fine but the dough stuck to the pizza peel and now I have to clean fried cheese off my pizza steel.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No photo because :effort: but I broke the yolk when cracking eggs into shakshuka last night.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

No photo because :effort: but I broke the yolk when cracking eggs into shakshuka last night.

I die a bit inside every time I break the yolk :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hey, do you have way too much zucchini in your garden this year? Here's a helpful tip to use it up.

1: pull out your old pickle recipe.
2: just about finish putting everything together when the jar cracks and spills everything everywhere.
3: live in your world of dill now

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am not sure if a house reeking of dill is worse than the vinegar. Bet that is pungent...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Quiet Feet posted:

Hey, do you have way too much zucchini in your garden this year? Here's a helpful tip to use it up.

1: pull out your old pickle recipe.
2: just about finish putting everything together when the jar cracks and spills everything everywhere.
3: live in your world of dill now

August 8th is National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We've been getting 2+ lbs of zucchini a week from our CSA for the last month or so, and it's starting to wear a little thin. I'm glad we signed up for this, because I'm enjoying being forced to come up with uses for all this produce, but man this is a lot of zucchini.

I remember my grandfather having a basket of it on the front desk at his office for people to take - he used to plant 8-10 plants of it a year, and I can't imagine how much zucchini they must have eaten.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

you ate my cat posted:

We've been getting 2+ lbs of zucchini a week from our CSA for the last month or so, and it's starting to wear a little thin. I'm glad we signed up for this, because I'm enjoying being forced to come up with uses for all this produce, but man this is a lot of zucchini.

I remember my grandfather having a basket of it on the front desk at his office for people to take - he used to plant 8-10 plants of it a year, and I can't imagine how much zucchini they must have eaten.

As is often the case, the answer is Pasta Grannies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L25XtLaxV0

If you feel like hand rolling spaghetti, go for it, but I would just make some fettucine/tagliatelli, buy some fresh from the store, or just use dry pasta.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I like that Pasta Grannies dish, thanks for the link.

I LOVE zucchini so I never get tired of it, but my partner hates it. I often just cube it with some shallots, garlic, smoked paprika, pepper, salted butter. Also good with a smoked oil. This is great on pasta, with eggs, over Asian noodles, over rice, over wild rice, chilled and tossed with orzo and lemon, quick blended into a soup topped with a teaspoon of sour cream, heaped on wheat toast with avocado, roasted with other veggies in a caponata or ratatouille, quick pickled as escabeche, as a side for meat, etc.

I also bought a zoodle cutter that looks like an hourglass, you just put it on one end and twist with your wrist like an old school apple peeler. Turns them into noodles.

My mom (grew up on a farm, degree in home ec, always a huge garden) lived by the cookbook "Too Many Tomatoes" which is very 70s but has a lot of good recipes. It's by Lois M. Landau. Are you wanting specific recipes? I could take pics of those pages if so.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/zz_plant/status/1286857935423860741

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My brother once won a local fair award for "largest regional zucchini of 1992" or something. Which is great and all but it also required multiple zucchini plants. As I recall, we were sent around the neighborhood with a wagon full of zucchini to try and pawn it off on the neighbors. It was then followed by the cherry tomato accident of 1994, 95, and 96.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

angerbeet posted:

My brother once won a local fair award for "largest regional zucchini of 1992" or something. Which is great and all but it also required multiple zucchini plants. As I recall, we were sent around the neighborhood with a wagon full of zucchini to try and pawn it off on the neighbors. It was then followed by the cherry tomato accident of 1994, 95, and 96.

I smell a new children's book series!!!!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to hear the full story of the cherry tomato accident that still had ramifications two years later

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Too many tomatoes?

Cherries sold off as tomatoes?

Tomatoes with razor blades?

we must know

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

angrbt pls

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my lemonade stand also sold cherry tomato plants.

Those fuckers are prolific.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

my old dogs used to eat cherry tomatoes. the vine was on the fence with our neighbors.

The smart dog stood up and ate the good ones higher when the bottom was picked clean.

The dumb dog never figured this out and just stared at the unripe green tomatoes.

There's a fable somewhere in there but in any case those dogs are long gone. So are the tomatoes.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I used to pick wild blackberries and my dogs would eat some off the vine. The ponies that lived in the field would follow me around and get impatient with me if I took too long to feed them another blackberry, so they would start violently biting at and eating the unripe ones in clumps until I scared them off. I'm preeeety sure that means horses have no way to taste sour because otherwise, holy poo poo, their sense of spite goes beyond any human's range.

I've hosed up my dinner this week by not taking out the frozen beef in time. I swear to god, I do this all the time. I have no concept of how long meat takes to thaw. I mean, veggie pasta for dinner this week is fine. But still.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You take it out the night before and put it in the fridge.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Depending on how the beef is packaged, you can thaw it pretty quickly in cold water. Ideally, in an appropriately sized pot sitting in the sink...fill it up, then reduce the flow to just a trickle. Something like a 1" thick steak will thaw in a half hour max. It works best on something vacuum packed, or it would work pretty well for ground beef in the tight "log" type packaging. I don't think I'd try it with a plastic wrapped foam deli tray unless you're sure water won't get in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Water on your ground beef is fine. It drips off. It's not like it's not 70% H2O anyways. Just drop that foam tray and its gross saran-wrap into a mixing bowl with water and go play video games for an hour. If it really bothers you, put the damp meat in the pan on low for a few minutes to evaporate off the last little bit of water.

I routinely "thaw" ground meat in the frying pan. You can drop that brick right on top of the onions & garlic, and just turn and scrape it every few minutes. The time to brown a pound of ground beef direct-from-freezer vs completely non-frozen is only a few minutes more. Obviously, putting it in the fridge yesterday is better, but I'm not usually that well organised.

This doesn't work with whole pieces of meat, non-ground, because with ground you can scrape off the thin layer of thawed/cooked meat that forms on the bottom of the frozen lump in a frying pan. A pan with high sides (or just a pot) is best, turning it over can be a pretty messy process (especially if you like to cook with wine, as in drink a glass or two while the oven pre-heats).

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Browning meat vs greying it are different. If you just want to cook it through, that's greying. If you actually want browning you need to get some sweet sweet maillard on it and that means having the beef as close to room temp as possible and dropping it in a smoking hot skillet so you get delicious crispy brown bits.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I finally decided to try making my own pilau rice again after giving up years ago because I could never get the rice/water ratio right. Anyway, found a decent recipe, halved it because I didn't want 6 portions, got my spices all sizzling nicely in the pot, threw in my rice, stirred gently as directed, then added the boiling water.

'Hmm' I thought, 'that looks awfully wet...'

Guess who forgot to halve the water? In desperation I poured off a good bit, then readded spices/salt/ghee to try and rescue it from total failure and by some miracle it actually came out pretty ok, the rice was neither total mush or still half-raw. So not a complete disaster but still very dopey.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Pookah posted:

I finally decided to try making my own pilau rice again after giving up years ago because I could never get the rice/water ratio right. Anyway, found a decent recipe, halved it because I didn't want 6 portions, got my spices all sizzling nicely in the pot, threw in my rice, stirred gently as directed, then added the boiling water.

'Hmm' I thought, 'that looks awfully wet...'

Guess who forgot to halve the water? In desperation I poured off a good bit, then readded spices/salt/ghee to try and rescue it from total failure and by some miracle it actually came out pretty ok, the rice was neither total mush or still half-raw. So not a complete disaster but still very dopey.

Any chance of seeing your recipe?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Frazzbo posted:

Any chance of seeing your recipe?

Sure, it was this one

https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/easy-peasy-pilau-rice/

Except to make the halved quantity I added about half a tsp of toasted whole cumin that I bashed up with the cardamoms because pilau without cumin sounded weird to me.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not quite a cooking disaster, but in a conversation with someone my phone auto corrected santoku to Santorum

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Low stakes mistake, but I recently made a casserole that called for 4 cups of cooked wild rice. I did not read the “cooked” part of the recipe until I had a gigantic pot of 4 cups uncooked wild rice bubbling away on the stove.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've overlooked the same thing, and had to try to pause everything for 30 minutes while I cooked the rice, which I suppose is better than cracking a tooth on an uncooked grain.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Pookah posted:

Sure, it was this one

https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/easy-peasy-pilau-rice/

Except to make the halved quantity I added about half a tsp of toasted whole cumin that I bashed up with the cardamoms because pilau without cumin sounded weird to me.

Nice one, thanks! 👍

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

xtal posted:

Not quite a cooking disaster, but in a conversation with someone my phone auto corrected santoku to Santorum

Well, now I need to know the whole context. "Use Santorum to dice an onion" or something less frothy and lube-y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Eat This Glob posted:

Well, now I need to know the whole context. "Use Santorum to dice an onion" or something less frothy and lube-y?

"I'll come back for my Santorum" :(