Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Drop the "other skills" section at the bottom imo. It's weird to read the skills at the top then there are more programming languages at the bottom, and my brain needs to work to go "okay these are his good ones and these are his not so good ones".

If the job requires C++ or German just edit your resume to have those in the top section.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah on second thought just handpick from those two lists whatever is relevant to the job you're going for. Trim the rest

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got something I'm happy with so I'll stop spamming the thread for free resume tips. Here's what I've ended up with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJWYFY8KDhiZYm8Wrm7zYoCunCo7cblL/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got something I'm happy with so I'll stop spamming the thread for free resume tips. Here's what I've ended up with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJWYFY8KDhiZYm8Wrm7zYoCunCo7cblL/view?usp=sharing

Your anonymous resume has a link to something with your profile pic and full name. Which jumps easily to linkedin....

I'm also hiring remote C# for Game Dev

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
big faceless corporation sent me a link to a cognitive assessment

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hughlander posted:

Your anonymous resume has a link to something with your profile pic and full name. Which jumps easily to linkedin....

I'm also hiring remote C# for Game Dev

Yeah, I know I'm not really anonymizing much :v:

I've posted plenty of personal info on the forums. I really just didn't want to leave everything in one place, or publish my address.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bored Online posted:

send them a link to goatse

alternatively take it an see how insane you can score

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bored Online posted:

my partner failed one of those

turns out that if you've done a lot of longitudinal studies yourself, you end up knowing all the "correct" answers and that raises its own red flags

the job would have sucked anyway but still lol

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

i completed it and was immediately met with a 3hr hackerrank assessment

im not particularly stoked about this interview pipeline or the company in general but its
a company that isnt disappearing, i know someone there, and itd give me practical experience which im not getting as a sysadmin rn soooo

Bored Online fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 29, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Progressive JPEG posted:

my partner failed one of those

turns out that if you've done a lot of longitudinal studies yourself, you end up knowing all the "correct" answers and that raises its own red flags

the job would have sucked anyway but still lol

I wasn't quite clear on how that's related, so I googled it and came across this

Association between use of internet and the cognitive function in older adults, populational longitudinal study EpiFloripa Idoso

quote:

Among the many kinds of cognitive maintenance, stimulation, and rehabilitation, the use of computers - through the Internet - is one of the most effective and considered a good alternative therapy in groups of older adults1,11,12. A systematic review by Diamond and Ling4, which analyzed 84 studies to assess different types of cognitive rehabilitation programs, demonstrated that the use of computers improves creativity, cognitive flexibility, attention, performance of tasks, and other cognitive abilities. Internet use is a modifiable behavior that has proved to be effective in protecting cognitive function12.

Use of computers also seems to influence the prevention of dementia8,9,10 and the decrease in physical, mental, and socioeconomic limitations associated with aging, improving the practice of citizenship, health, education, work, leisure, and socialization13,14, and reducing the number of diseases. Consequently, it provides more autonomy and quality of life11,12,15, in addition to lowering the risk of impairment in activities of daily living16.

turns out the internet DOES NOT make you stupid if you're already suffering from dementia anyway

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bored Online posted:

i completed it and was immediately met with a 3hr hackerrank assessment

im not particularly stoked about this interview pipeline or the company in general but its
a company that isnt disappearing, i know someone there, and itd give me practical experience which im not getting as a sysadmin rn soooo

sounds like ibm lol

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Thanks again for the resume help and wish me luck goons! I've applied to a few big tech companies in the Seattle area and gotten referrals from friends that work at them.

My SO just was finishing up her DPT as the lockdowns started in March. The job market in Milwaukee and Chicago for physical therapists has been in the toilet for the last 5 months thanks to the pandemic, and I've been thinking about getting a new job for a little while, so we took a look at the Seattle job market. It looks much better for her and has a lot of the types of jobs she's looking for, so me getting a new job and us relocating would be great for both of us. She's already hearing back from some of these places she's applying to the next day or within a few days, and already has interviews scheduled with a few of them.

I have a feeling I'm not going to hear back as quickly except maybe for the places I was referred by friends.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

carry on then posted:

sounds like ibm lol

he said isn't disappearing

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Just finished the amazon interview. Didn't feel like I did stellar but also didn't feel like I completely whiffed. They were cool enough to at least promise a decision by end of day so at least I can focus the weekend on either success drinking or failure drinking.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

had a final interview round with a nonprofit today. feeling conflicted because on the one hand i sincerely believe in their mission and they offer surprisingly reasonable compensation for a nonprofit (haven't received an actual offer yet though; we'll see). on the other hand, the day to day work sounds unpleasant to say the least. the project involves working with a 3rd party entity to overhaul their 15 year old legacy system that has had ad-hoc features tacked on over the years but never refactored. from talking with engineers the institutional challenges around this are more significant than the technical ones. if this was "just another tech company" i'd run away screaming but it feels like i could have a (potential) unique opportunity here to do something good for once. i know this isnt the kind of advice this thread can really provide but if anyone has thoughts i'm all ears.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ideology is never as sweet recompense as, yknow, recompense or your coworkers being cool peeps

you will be compromising on the second so just make real sure your coworkers and boss are cool peeps

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i moved from finance to a company with a mission i support and while it’s certainly nice i don’t think it would effectively counterbalance bad people or comp. also, when you don’t give a poo poo about the mission it’s way easier to leave your work at work.

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Got an offer! :toot: Hiring manager called me and very much wanted me to say a number and I did not say a number and then he eventually said a number and it ended up being over double what I was making before the salary cuts so things look good. I made absolute sure to not expose in any way that the startup I am at now was having money issues but I think he was able to assume it and kind of poked at that to try to get me to break but I pulled through.

Thanks everyone in this thread for all the advice. I hope that everyone finds their dream job/number(but dont say it), you all are the best and deserve it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yay

stack figs

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

elcannon posted:

Got an offer! :toot: Hiring manager called me and very much wanted me to say a number and I did not say a number and then he eventually said a number and it ended up being over double what I was making before the salary cuts so things look good. I made absolute sure to not expose in any way that the startup I am at now was having money issues but I think he was able to assume it and kind of poked at that to try to get me to break but I pulled through.

Thanks everyone in this thread for all the advice. I hope that everyone finds their dream job/number(but dont say it), you all are the best and deserve it.

nice job!

👏🏼
don’t
👏🏼
ever
👏🏼
say
👏🏼
a
👏🏼
number
👏🏼

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

elcannon posted:

Well done! What kind of excuses did you come up with to avoid number-saying?

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

I'm sure I sounded super flustered the whole time but someone had posted earlier in this thread something along the lines of "I expect a competitive offer based on the market for this position and my level of experience, if the company is concerned that they might not be able to meet that, please let me know" so that was mostly what I was trying to get across. As was posted last page, the second part of that doesnt really apply to Amazon, and me and the HM both kind of nodded to that.

I also said that it was really hard to materialize how much it would take for me to leave my current position, especially without having more insight into the team/tools/culture I'd be moving to. That is something that is still kind of eating me tbh. I interviewed with 4 technical people and only 1 was from the department I was applying to and they were in a completely different city than I am so I think they are on a different team in the dept. HM said that there really isn't a lot he can tell me before I accept and sign a bunch of NDAs, but he assured me that if the team fit was poor for whatever reason, it is very common and easy to transfer departments.

I haven't accepted anything yet, but it is a lot more money than I was expecting.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, you'll roll the dice on the team. you know about the scummy backloading thing they do w RSUs right

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

was just chatting with a former coworker of mine about a job I quit 2 years back

I was a bit apprehensive about it back then, but from what I've been told I got out in the nick of time - almost the entire core team left, got fired or had their salary voluntarily reduced, management bullying multiplied to an absurd degree and nobody is allowed to develop any new products anymore

whereas I'm now being paid about 50% more, work in a respectful environment with zero bullying and have a lot of latitude in how I do my job; not saying it's perfect but the old job doesn't really compare

just wanted to put that out there for anyone thinking about getting out of a terrible job

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 1, 2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

just repeat over and over and over “i am sure you guys have the data, market research, and knowledge you need to to make a fair and competitive offer” it’s not insulting or overly confrontational, but the more you say it the more they realize they’ll have to make an opening offer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m gonna flip the LinkedIn bit this weekend. itshappening.gif

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

just repeat over and over and over “i am sure you guys have the data, market research, and knowledge you need to to make a fair and competitive offer” it’s not insulting or overly confrontational, but the more you say it the more they realize they’ll have to make an opening offer.

I did this at my last job search. the first number they came up with was lower than what I was making at the time. I told the recruiter this was way off and to try again. I had to send her back several times to get more, eventually she had the hiring manager and the director on the phone with me telling me what a great offer they’re making. I got her to move the salary up a bit but the stock grants were like 3x what she started with, which is where the real money was.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

nice job!

👏🏼
don’t
👏🏼
ever
👏🏼
say
👏🏼
a
👏🏼
number
👏🏼

this really should be in the OP in big red letters

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

well, you'll roll the dice on the team. you know about the scummy backloading thing they do w RSUs right

Yeah I've got a good friend at a different department in amazon so he gave me some details on the RSU situation (and also some solid tips on the interview structure). I can definitely see how the RSU scheming can make it difficult to compare total compensation and it kind of fucks with the levels.fyi numbers. Ultimately though just looking at base salary I'm still at at least a 50% raise. I've still got a few days before I need to provide an answer but I'm v leaning towards taking it. Current job probably wont be able to come anywhere near matching. I do feel bad since they are in a bind clearly, but in these trying times maybe one less person on the payroll works out for the better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Keep in mind too that having Amazon on your resume is going to open a lot of doors down the line.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
Most importantly the exit door at Amazon when you quit!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gangsta Lean posted:

Most importantly the exit door at Amazon when you quit!
Indeed, you can only quit Amazon if you work for them

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

whats the likelihood that applying to another position at current medium sized company would work in my favor?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bored Online posted:

whats the likelihood that applying to another position at current medium sized company would work in my favor?

In my (admittedly limited) experience: everyone knows every gently caress-up you've ever done there and you'll be alienating your current boss/coworkers by applying.

This is obvs. not valid if your boss is An Goode Bosse and got promoted to a different area and said "come and work in the different area I just got moved to".

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m gonna flip the LinkedIn bit tonight. feels good man.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Bored Online posted:

If you work at a company where your manager can veto your move then you should talk to them first.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

elcannon posted:

Current job probably wont be able to come anywhere near matching.

don't loving do this. learn from my own and others' itt mistake

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

don't loving do this. learn from my own and others' itt mistake

My boss almost left last year, but management asked what it would take for him to stay. He named a number (I think it was matching his new offer), got a nice raise, and was just laid off a week ago.

I don’t rub shoulders with upper management, but I would be unsurprised to learn that he was a dead man walking since that day.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There is little to nothing to gain from taking the counter offer. You looked for a new job for a reason, a salary match isn't a better offer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a counter offer is only good if you were trying to get a raise, not leave. if you are fed up with problems and intend to leave, the counter won’t fix any of them and you’ll be gone in a year.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

a counter offer is only good if you were trying to get a raise, not leave. if you are fed up with problems and intend to leave, the counter won’t fix any of them and you’ll be gone in a year.

You will be gone as soon as they find a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can phrase it as "how much are you willing to pay for me to stick around an extra couple of weeks for a proper handoff", assuming your new offer has sufficient start date flexibility. A defined timeline is better for everyone.

But they've got to significantly beat your new offer, not just match it.