Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thats the Wii version.

Enh, not really. The Wii version feels very... empty.

But, I know what you're trying to say.

drrockso20 posted:

More than anything what people liked about Reach is that it had the most stuff in multiplayer of the three games that used Halo 3's engine

It also just focused on the war. By the end of Halo 3, I never wanted to actually hear about the eponymous Halos again, and was way more interested in just having a war shooting game in this cool universe, and holy poo poo did ODST and Reach deliver on that premise.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It was a couple of days ago that I first encountered the fey little robot creep (343 something) and it mentioned “hurry up, we have ten of these to go through” and I thought that there would have to be some sort of deus ex machina or cutscene to curtail that process. But nope, you’re doing essentially the same thing over and over again, it was crazy.

*chipper robot voice* this portal is the first of ten!

I’ll never get that out of my brain now

drrockso20 posted:

More than anything what people liked about Reach is that it had the most stuff in multiplayer of the three games that used Halo 3's engine

:eng101: Halo Reach is more like Halo 3.5, by that point they had started developing the engine components for what would become Destiny and a few of them got field tested in Reach. The biped animation system was specifically called out in a GDC presentation once, I don't remember any specific others.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

I can definitely see why.

My god the MCC is going to have a ton of content by the time it’s complete. I’ve never been big on “clicker” games or grinding games but I definitely have a weak spot for achievements and between all of these games and playlists and par times and score goals and 700+ achievements I’m probably going to end up with an ungodly amount of time in this thing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

haveblue posted:

Ironically I think you do only end up going through 2 or so portals, right? The "first of ten" thing is genuinely meant to fake you out about what you will have to go through.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753590/Hellbound

anyone know anything about this?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It had a promising, but unpolished sort of demo about year or more ago, but that was the last I heard of it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

JLaw posted:

Ironically I think you do only end up going through 2 or so portals, right? The "first of ten" thing is genuinely meant to fake you out about what you will have to go through.

There are a lot of big doors, you go through uhhhhhh at least three or four. I doubt it’s ten. At least one gets stuck and you have to detour

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I actually don’t know if it was ten but it involved like three giant elevator rides, a couple of “I’ll be back in a sec” (fight off waves) and like 8 enormous stretches of tunnel. But by god I murdered every single flood, right down to the babies—not a one of them was left wriggling by the time my watch was finished. Croteam promised me a Serious Sam 4 this month even though they still haven’t been forthcoming with a specific release date, and part of that is the guarantee that I will be slaughtering eighty thousand enemies at a time. But the reality is that I’ve already done that in those goddamned tunnels with nothing but an 8 gauge shotgun and an elfin little dipshit robot.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 1, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The demo was decent, pretty good even, but it's also the most forgettable 7/10 type of mediocrity with that unmistakably generic Unreal Engine feel. Instead of "a 90's FPS 30 years later" the tagline should really be "legally distinct non-copyright infringing Serious Sam" unless you want to consider having pointless aim-down-sights mechanics a modernization of the 90's FPS.

treat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 1, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m replaying the Descent series. I love these games to death. Did they ever make any Descent clones or
What not, aside from the current gen stuff like Overload?

Speaking of Overload, has anyone tried the anniversary or community map pack? Overload in Vr is really drat good also, as well. I’m also convinced an Xbox 360 controller is very good for 6-DOF games.

I also just lost power.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Brief shout-outs here for a couple of lesser-known Quake maps I felt like 5-starring on Quaddicted recently:

==========

hcmsp1 - Awoken Madness

JLaw posted:

Fun routes, revisiting places in surprising ways with new stuff unlocked; clever use of the limited amount of interactivity in Quake to transform spaces; some super hairy but interestingly designed combat (skill 2); variety in theme and variety in the size/shape of areas... really just a great adventure packed into this one, and special kudos to Mazu that I rarely felt lost.

It has a lot of the "new mapper" energy and willingness to throw in a kitchen sink of cool ideas, but it's also tied together pretty drat well. A little exhausting if you try to do it in one sitting, and probably a bit more confusing if you don't, but I still feel like I gotta drop a 5 on it since it is just so much pure Quake fun.

==========

sp_maxx - Secrets of the Keep (this one requires Arcane Dimensions)

JLaw posted:

IMO this is one of the best "castle maps" out there.

Great ambience -- the sounds, music track, architecture, and vistas give it almost a Thief 2 vibe which is enhanced by the fact that you do a lot of climbing-up and dropping-down to get into places where "you're not supposed to be". Overall a strong sense of going-on-an-adventure that reminds me a lot of Axebeard's entry in the Sewer Jam, except this is on an even larger scale.

The fact that there are "only" 250-ish monsters on skill 2 for such a big map is a reflection of good pacing (for my tastes). None of the fights could be considered horde-y until maybe near the end, but there's some nifty monster mixing and placement that make the fights fun. A couple of times I even reloaded purely to take another whack at doing a particular setpiece in a different way.

I love the way the map opens up in particular manner as you approach the end, and the way it leads you back to the exit once you have your full arsenal... I guess I won't comment more on either of those for spoiler reasons. Only to say that a lot of apparently inaccessible areas become accessible in a way that will seem obvious in retrospect.

I can see how some folks could get a lost a bit in the early-to-mid parts of the map. FWIW I personally had a good time with those areas; the intermittent stretches of multiple-pathing gave it more of an exploring feel, and it let me work around behind or to the side of some monster groups to pick at them. I think the fact that the streets give you visibility of some landmarks helps; also that they are "characterful" and not just interchangeable hallways. The only thing that tripped me up a bit was that two different courtyards have the Shub statue, and since I had glimpsed it in one courtyard from a doorway (without entering), when I got to the other courtyard I thought that it was the same place I had seen before which screwed up my mental map for a while.

Anyway. Great trip. :-) I think Maxx's Xmas Jam 2019 map was also a little castle which was very cool, so he's definitely got the chops for this theme!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I’m replaying the Descent series. I love these games to death. Did they ever make any Descent clones or

Speaking of Overload, has anyone tried the anniversary or community map pack? Overload in Vr is really drat good also, as well. I’m also convinced an Xbox 360 controller is very good for 6-DOF games.

I also just lost power.

You talking something like Forsaken with its inexplicable and ubiquitous cover art of a tattooed woman?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I also just lost power.

:same:

Regarding Descent, Overload is the only good one I know of. There was a Kickstarter reboot called Descent Underground but it ran out of steam in early access, and isn't available any more. It never got a single player campaign iirc

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Convex posted:

Regarding Descent, Overload is the only good one I know of. There was a Kickstarter reboot called Descent Underground but it ran out of steam in early access, and isn't available any more. It never got a single player campaign iirc

al-azad posted:

You talking something like Forsaken with its inexplicable and ubiquitous cover art of a tattooed woman?

I never played that one; was it any good? Wasn’t it on N64?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish I could enjoy Quake but it’s just too twitchy for my tastes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

retrovirus was an OK descent-ish game but that was about it for me until Overload came around

the 6DOF tag is ruined on Steam btw because of VR games, because technically most VR games use 6DOF for the headset even if it's just an archery game or whatever, so they just all get tagged 6DOF

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

chaosapiant posted:

There was a PC version, a fairly faithful PS1 port, and an N64 version that sort of kitbashed the assets from the other versions into what was essentially a different game in the same genre. I kinda liked the N64 version the most despite it being way less ambitious than the other ones. The level design on PC/PS1 was really unintuitive, leading to me spending way more time wandering around trying to figure out where to go next than getting into cool underground dogfights.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

It’s decent. Night Dive gave it the Turok treatment a few years ago.

I’ve never seen a game so heavily advertised that just vanished.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

al-azad posted:

It’s decent. Night Dive gave it the Turok treatment a few years ago.

I’ve never seen a game so heavily advertised that just vanished.

I have: remember Advent Rising?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Some of us never forgot

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

While I had a bit of a kvetch session about Cultist/Fanatics earlier, I really hate Mother Spiders on Well Done. Not because of their spawns, which seem weirdly inconsistent, but just because they're such big bags of HP that it feels like it takes forever to grind through. Even Stone Gargoyles with their eye lasers of doom are preferable to this poo poo, at least the Tesla Cannon handles them quickly.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Convex posted:

Descent Underground was reworked into just "Descent" and is likely vaporware because of legal issues between the devs and publisher: https://www.gamersfirst.com/descent/news/2020/2/24/message-from-matt-about-descent-legal-action

The Overload devs at one point were planning on some kind of patch for Descent 3 but I think that ship's sailed. The game's not hard to run on modern PCs but I wish it had some fixes. I'm pretty sure multiplayer is still active too.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

it felt like a 90s shooter but a pretty bad one in the demo but i think the devs have been polishing it a bit. dunno how it'll turn out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I also just lost power.

Descent II's Redbook soundtrack was loving dope

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

The Overload devs at one point were planning on some kind of patch for Descent 3 but I think that ship's sailed. The game's not hard to run on modern PCs but I wish it had some fixes. I'm pretty sure multiplayer is still active too.
A patch came out earlier this year for Mac and Linux players of the Steam version, but it was done by Icculus so the odds of a Windows release are small to say the least.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I figured out how to get the hidden Helix Cannon in Descent II a while back and felt like such a badass

The Kins posted:

A patch came out earlier this year for Mac and Linux players of the Steam version, but it was done by Icculus so the odds of a Windows release are small to say the least.

He said in the replies that he's not planning to do a Windows version. :smith:

I hope at least he can release the source code.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 2, 2020

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I’m replaying the Descent series. I love these games to death. Did they ever make any Descent clones or What not, aside from the current gen stuff like Overload?
Forsaken's already been mentioned, but there was also Adrenix, which is literally all I can say about Adrenix despite owning the drat thing (I've yet to try playing it).

Well, maybe not all I can say about it - the devs used the same engine to make Santa Slayer, a really bad Christmas game where Santa kills everything at the North Pole, whereupon the game unceremoniously doesn't end and just goes on indefinitely until you reset the game or quit.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

What kind of bullshit is this? Descent 3 gets a dope rear end patch, but not on Windows? Ah well. I’d love for Nightdive to pick it up and remaster it. Descent 1 and 2 have that rebirth source port so they absolutely don’t need a remaster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m in the last couple of missions in Descent 3. I never beat it when it first came out though I enjoyed it. It’s crazy how confusing some of these last levels are, I think I far prefer D 1 and 2 to this one. Also the soundtrack is a huge step back from the red book audio in D2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

chaosapiant posted:

I remember AdventTrilogy dot com

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, maybe not all I can say about it - the devs used the same engine to make Santa Slayer, a really bad Christmas game where Santa kills everything at the North Pole, whereupon the game unceremoniously doesn't end and just goes on indefinitely until you reset the game or quit.

I play that game every year out of sheer nostalgia.

Getting multiplayer working is a white whale of mine. :sigh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's Sublevel Zero, a very good procedural Descent.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DatonKallandor posted:

There's Sublevel Zero, a very good procedural Descent.

I have that one but thought it was considered crap on these forums? Is that not the case?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Diabotical rules, its pretty much all I want from a modern Quake 3-like. good job 2GD

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone know how to fix Descent 3 on Windows 10? Every time I launch the main story after the intro movie it goes black and there's no splash screen for the missions or anything. Is the game just not loving working at all on W10 now or some poo poo

e: never mind the game hates 3DFX apparently

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 2, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I have that one but thought it was considered crap on these forums? Is that not the case?

I’ve played a lot of it and thought it was pretty good. There’s not really a bonanza of Descent clones to choose from so it did a decent job scratching that itch, but I think the Roguelite nature of it didn’t really mesh with some people.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chaosapiant posted:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I’ve played a lot of it and thought it was pretty good. There’s not really a bonanza of Descent clones to choose from so it did a decent job scratching that itch, but I think the Roguelite nature of it didn’t really mesh with some people.

It's a perfectly servicable 6 DoF shooter. I enjoyed it. I don't have an immediate visceral reaction to the terms "procedural generated" "Roguelike" "Roguelite" like other people seem to have, however.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I enjoyed playing Forsaken multiplayer on N64 with my bros.

The future is Forsaken.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeether posted:

Does anyone know how to fix Descent 3 on Windows 10? Every time I launch the main story after the intro movie it goes black and there's no splash screen for the missions or anything. Is the game just not loving working at all on W10 now or some poo poo

e: never mind the game hates 3DFX apparently

I had it working on 3DFX mode Windows 10, and it worked fine, but don’t remember what I did. Now I just use Open GL and the game looks much better because I can control the AA and AF with Nvidia Control Panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Okay finally got to the point in Halo 2 where you get the opportunity, as a Sangheli, to commandeer a USNC tank with a handful of your idiot-alien friends and I found it to be a way funnier scene than I probably should have. Not quite sure how the ergonomics would work but whatever!

EDIT: These scenes actually remind me a lot of UT2k4's Onslaught maps, just cruising around town in a tank or a technical and running dudes over while the bots plink away at dudes.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2020