Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Care to provide some examples?

Ask JollyBoyJohn by what they meant by that specifically

but it's a lot of videogames, basically any RPG or thing with a story with a beginning middle and end type poo poo. It's easy to poo poo on the quality of writing in video games generally, that's totally fair and I agree. There's often huge dissonance between writers and gameplay, seems like a nightmare to write for a game without also having creative control or direction to flow outward from what is written. Tomb Raider always comes to mind, the writer having to try and develop characters and a story, but the gameplay and combat and action sequences had basically already been set in stone, so she had to try and weasel an emotional story that would be immediately and constantly be undercut by both needlessly gruesome death cutscenes and combat sections where you just mow down a bunch of people trying to kill you.

anyway, these are more like a movie or book in that there is a story being told, good writing or not, and there's a point where you complete the intended story and experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Tomb Raider always comes to mind, the writer having to try and develop characters and a story, but the gameplay and combat and action sequences had basically already been set in stone
Same writer gave the same excuse for their work on Mirror's Edge. Funny how that's only a problem when the writing is subpar on its own, Horizon: Zero Dawn was also written around a finished setting and they knocked it out of the park

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Tomb Raider always comes to mind, the writer having to try and develop characters and a story, but the gameplay and combat and action sequences had basically already been set in stone, so she had to try and weasel an emotional story that would be immediately and constantly be undercut by both needlessly gruesome death cutscenes and combat sections where you just mow down a bunch of people trying to kill you.

How is this scene still the go to example of ludonarrative dissonance when it's literally the opposite? The whole point of that scene was to show Lara accepting that she was going to have to murder a whole lot of people if she was going to survive.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fridge corn posted:

Care to provide some examples?

There's basically a continuum from games where you just interact with the mechanics to games that are so entirely about telling you a story that it's not possible to be bad at them. If we have to name them, one end is "skill games" and the other is "interactive fiction".

A related split is between games with independent sessions (like bowling) and games where a single pass through is enough to say you've finished it (like a book).

That gives us four categories and a lot of unresolved corner cases:
Skill games with independent sessions: pong and fruit ninja, but also multiplayer FPSes and FTL and Mario and tower defenses.
Skill games with one long pass: God of War and Uncharted and COD and other singleplayer fighter/brawler/survivor games, RPGs like Final Fantasy - or Pillars of Eternity, some long story-heavy platformers, later Zelda games
Interactive fiction with independent sessions: kind of rare, I guess - Princess maker, Disco Elysium, that sort of "try again and get a different outcome" game?
Interactive fiction, single pass: Point and click adventures and interactive movies, from Monkey Island to Phantasmagoria. RPG games with very easy gameplay, not that I can think of any?

Obviously this doesn't fit everything - like games where one session is long enough that you have to save and come back, but you expect to do more than one (civilization, diablo, cities skylines) - and it ignores how some games are played in sessions but has permanent unlocks/upgrades. Still, it seems like a rough but useful way to be a bit more concrete when trying to talk about this?

As for "only the skill /short session games have any value", that obviously edgelord trolling. Game plots may not be great literature, but neither is a lot of the books people read or the movies they watch. It's entertainment, and can be fine for that purpose.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 2, 2020

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
There are perhaps four types of games: EA Sports NFL Head Coach (2006), and three others that I cannot think of examples for. I hope this settles the matter

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

another one is Bubble Bobble

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mega man 3 is better than mega man 2 by almost any conceivable metric and ill never understand why 2 is held in such especially high regard

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it's because of the music in flashman's level

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

food court bailiff posted:

mega man 3 is better than mega man 2 by almost any conceivable metric and ill never understand why 2 is held in such especially high regard

It's the first good game in the series.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Breetai posted:

It's the first good game in the series.

Yeah it's this, the first one sucks but megaman 2 was insanely good for its time. 3 was probably better but to be honest I don't remember a single thing about it despite having played it a lot as a kid, so apparently 3 is less memorable to me because I can remember all sorts of things about 2. Maybe 2 is more memorable just because it was so groundbreaking at the time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
for some reason, 3's controls are a little less responsive than the first two games. it's hard to tap/nudge move, and switching facing directions also feels loose and delayed, sometimes dropping your input. every NES game that came after it has that same fluidity as 2, but 3's controls feel really crappy after its predecessor.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 2, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah totally, megaman 3 is the peak

i also like megaman 1

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

for some reason, 3's controls are a little less responsive than the first two games. it's hard to tap/nudge move, and switching facing directions also feels loose and delayed, sometimes dropping your input. every NES game that came after it has that same fluidity as 2, but 3's controls feel really crappy after its predecessor.

no offense but if you think 3 controls looser than 1 you have not played either in an extremely long time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aren't all the NES Mega Men the same engine?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Where the gently caress is Chromehounds 2? Sick of this poo poo

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I tried Hollowknight but the monochrome aesthetic is bland, the combat is stiff and repetitive, and the animations are bad (try striking an enemy while walking forward, does that animation look good to you?). I've played and enjoyed supposedly shittier metroidvanias but I couldn't bother continuing this one after the green vegetation area.

In my opinion Hollowknight is way overhyped because of the 2d dark souls meme.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no offense but if you think 3 controls looser than 1 you have not played either in an extremely long time

well ok mega man 1 had crappy controls too but 3 isn't so much a matter of looseness as it feels like it simply refuses to detect short taps on the d-pad half the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't all the NES Mega Men the same engine?

yes and no, it evolved slowly over time. i couldn't tell you if it was rewritten from scratch every iteration but every game is just a little distinct in the way it controls.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

How is this scene still the go to example of ludonarrative dissonance when it's literally the opposite? The whole point of that scene was to show Lara accepting that she was going to have to murder a whole lot of people if she was going to survive.

It wasn't a scene it was the whole game, they punctuated shooting sequences throughout. Then there's also a whole level where you trudge through some corpse and blood river to a cave littered with gore with "fun" challenges to do like scour the place for bags of corpses to burn. Contriving a reason for the protagonist to murder a whole bunch of people is often going to fundamentally undercut a lot of potential angles for a story or character to go. hands kind of tied i guess since the original "tomb raider" was a british lady dual wielding pistols with motorcycle gloves and sunglasses

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never played or heard much about Spec Ops: The line

Is it worth playing? It came out a while ago...

If it's not worth playing; can someone explain why people gave a poo poo about it? What was the deal

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hollow knight is ok

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

Contriving a reason for the protagonist to murder a whole bunch of people is often going to fundamentally undercut a lot of potential angles for a story or character to go. hands kind of tied i guess since the original "tomb raider" was a british lady dual wielding pistols with motorcycle gloves and sunglasses

now, i never get very far in the old tomb raider games, but iirc for all of lara's gun kata flourish they didn't really have a lot of combat. you'd see wild animals or dinosaurs here and there, and then you got some human bosses who would shoot at you and you wanted to save your big guns for them, but at the end of the day the guns actually were for defending yourself and you spent most of the time swimming and climbing and finding hidden poo poo.

nathan drake shooting a hundred thousand guys, well. i got nothin

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it was more novel when it was new, not worth playing today but maybe worth reading about. I haven't played it, always meant to and tried to avoid spoilers but that's not really been possible.

AFAIK: It's a mediocre shooting game with a twist at some point the game makes you re-examine why you're going around killing people or you kill a bunch of civilians and the game is like "hmm dont u think maybe bad?" and then you go do more violence and then it turns out the big bad guy was actually just in your mind and u were trying to justify this horrible poo poo and u can choose to kill yourself or surrender or keep being a murder psycho. the coolest thing about it was one of the main devs said that a valid way to beat the game was to put the controller down and stop playing

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

megaman 3 on the gameboy is flawed when compared to the nes versions but its still a really impressive game

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

If it's not worth playing; can someone explain why people gave a poo poo about it? What was the deal
it's a product of the era of jingoistic military shooters and is a deconstruction/takedown/whatever of them, the gameplay itself is competent and it does some cool things with the medium of Video Games. i'd say worth playing if you can get it cheap/:filez:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

now, i never get very far in the old tomb raider games, but iirc for all of lara's gun kata flourish they didn't really have a lot of combat. you'd see wild animals or dinosaurs here and there, and then you got some human bosses who would shoot at you and you wanted to save your big guns for them, but at the end of the day the guns actually were for defending yourself and you spent most of the time swimming and climbing and finding hidden poo poo.

nathan drake shooting a hundred thousand guys, well. i got nothin

The early Tomb Raiders were considered more like og Prince of Persia in being cinematic platformers where characters controlled more like real people and used guns instead of Goomba stomps or spinning, really. The reboot doesn't understand this and just turns it into action with minigames.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Spec ops has a neat setting.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people always use the word "subpar" to describe video game writing because its makes them sound more sophisticated than just saying "bad". its really funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zzulu posted:

It's a solid competent fps with decent gameplay, excellent voicework and some nice visuals, and you should play it. It also does some reasonably clever things with narrative and perception. It's not very long. Just play it imo.

E: a lot of people will say it's mediocre as a game but never explain why. I disagree, it's a little above average for that time imo

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 2, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also if you play it right the last line spoken has the best single line reading in gaming.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Been years since I played it, but was it "Welcome to Dubai"?

E: the right way to play was to withdraw after first contact like you were ordered :colbert:

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 2, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's nice having a game set in the Middle East where you shoot mostly Americans

sebmojo posted:

It's a solid competent fps with decent gameplay, excellent voicework and some nice visuals, and you should play it. It also does some reasonably clever things with narrative and perception. It's not very long. Just play it imo.
also this. people get hung up on some of the fourth wall leaning but for the most part this is just a well-realized character story

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 2, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zzulu posted:

I still have a copy in my inventory. Dunno if gifting that way still works, but you can have it. PM me your steam

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tight aspirations posted:

Been years since I played it, but was it "Welcome to Dubai"?

E: the right way to play was to withdraw after first contact like you were ordered :colbert:

yep :blastu: and you're right, of course! the orders really weren't complicated.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 2, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I went into Spec Ops blind and enjoyed it. I think all single player AAA first/third person shooters are bland and not exactly a barrel of fun so in that regard it didn't feel very different from most of them. However unlike all other AAA fps/tps game the story was engaging enough that I wanted to keep going and find out how it ends.

If you want something different, go for it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm reminded of the alternate short ending to Far Cry 4.

https://youtu.be/JnCed-hb53E

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think kind of the deal with Spec Ops The Line was that it was absolutely meant to be mistaken for a standard brown modern military shooter at the time, with the name, presentation and gameplay to go with it, and things like the white phosphorus section are presented like a setpiece minigame like a drone in Call of Duty until you're actually presented with the consequences.

Even things like the geography of the missions making zero sense are probably easy to miss since it's not like serious shooters are much better in that regard, going from a subway station to a rooftop in seconds has precedent.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That's exactly how I experienced it and it was really impressive how it played out. Honestly I even pirated it because my expectations were super low and I needed something to do over a weekend while I had a sprained ankle.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think kind of the deal with Spec Ops The Line was that it was absolutely meant to be mistaken for a standard brown modern military shooter at the time, with the name, presentation and gameplay to go with it, and things like the white phosphorus section are presented like a setpiece minigame like a drone in Call of Duty until you're actually presented with the consequences.

Even things like the geography of the missions making zero sense are probably easy to miss since it's not like serious shooters are much better in that regard, going from a subway station to a rooftop in seconds has precedent.

This is why I have trouble straight up recommending this game and telling everyone to play it. It was absolutely best enjoyed during the deluge of mindless shooters set in the middle east, and I got it as a present from a family member who deliberately left out all the twists.

I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it if I played it for the first time now and with the whole thing spoiled.

But I totally disagree with the few people who always pop up to say it's a garbage game with a garbage message. Some people get instinctively mad at a video game trying to have a clever story and feel the need to make sure everyone knows that it is in fact, not clever and that no video game ever will be.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If you motherfuckers start talking about Ludonarrative Dissonance again im gonna kill 1000 goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is that when you can't figure out why Professor Plum would have killed Miss Scarlet?

Oh, sorry, that's Cluedonarrative Dissonance :dadjoke: