Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Canada the Walgreens stuff at least ends up at EBGames with Hasbro. I don't know if Target stuff ever makes it here at all.

Toys R Us which is still open in Canada partners with Hasbro at Fanexpo Canada to distribute the SDCC exclusives, so maybe them? They obviously still have some kind of relationship even if the US parent died. I've never checked though.

We have Walmart and Amazon of course so they get their own stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Once these Joes show up and I stumble across them, I don't mind helping our foreign friends (as well as local folks) get their hands on anything, as long as they're willing to pay whatever shipping costs. And I've always been grateful for this BSS action figure and Transformer community, since people are so cool and nice and willing to help each other out.

You know what is the opposite of this? The G.I. Joe Classified Facebook group. What a bunch of absolute dicks. Scalpers are posting pics of entire cases of Beach Head and the Cobra Trooper to rub it in and offering them for high prices, the mods and admins are totally cool with it. Anyone who complains about the scalpers gets called "bullies" and is belittled, threatened (sometimes with actual threats!), and kicked out of the group. I've seen people bragging about hassling Target employees and congratulating each other for it, and there are lots of "Come at me, bro"-style insults and threats between different Internet tough guy group members.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 2, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toy collectors can be an insanely toxic group. See sideshow freaks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The MOTU group i joined is disturbingly sane. All the hate is directed at the guys clearing the shelves.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Selling some toys and Nintendo stuffs if anyone is interested!

https://bit.ly/30asVrk

Also if anyone is looking for Ghostbuster toys lemme know, saw a bunch on the pegs at Target. Or the Age of Apocalypse wave.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Once these Joes show up and I stumble across them, I don't mind helping our foreign friends (as well as local folks) get their hands on anything, as long as they're willing to pay whatever shipping costs. And I've always been grateful for this BSS action figure and Transformer community, since people are so cool and nice and willing to help each other out.

You know what is the opposite of this? The G.I. Joe Classified Facebook group. What a bunch of absolute dicks. Scalpers are posting pics of entire cases of Beach Head and the Cobra Trooper to rub it in and offering them for high prices, the mods and admins are totally cool with it. Anyone who complains about the scalpers gets called "bullies" and is belittled, threatened (sometimes with actual threats!), and kicked out of the group. I've seen people bragging about hassling Target employees and congratulating each other for it, and there are lots of "Come at me, bro"-style insults and threats between different Internet tough guy group members.

Yeah, I quit that group weeks ago, it was even more obnoxious than most.

We have an official Discord server for this thread, FYI:

https://discord.gg/SgPGZkJ

It's a bit better for getting up to the minute links on preorders and stuff, as well as just chattin' 'bout action figures.

I'm also the admin for the Articulated Comic Book Art Discord, which is actually more of a general action figure discussion server. It's a bit more of an elaborate setup than the BSS group (because it has 200+ people on it) with different channels based on figure line, as well as a role bot so you can set yourself up to get alerts for new pre-order drops as well as news about a certain franchise/line/company. It's also setup so that people with the relevant role (As an example, GI Joe is one of them) can post and then pin any sales or searching for requests.

As a rule we don't allow scalpers, and it's basically all people just trying to help each other get action figures and then talk about our love of the hobby. Also mature in the sense that we don't allow any bigotry or chauvinism, although we do have a few members who are minors but abide the rules, so 'mature' in attitude if not physical age.

That one is here:

https://discord.gg/RqWed6W

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The MOTU group i joined is disturbingly sane. All the hate is directed at the guys clearing the shelves.

I'm a member of some toy groups on Facebook. The MOTU and the Mythic Legions groups are pretty chill, but the Marvel Legends and GI Joe groups can get heated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Transformer groups are horrible. The closer I get to "finishing" my TF collection those groups will no longer be useful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm a member of a few 1/6th groups but weirdly enough the biggest scalpers I've seen and arguments for them has been in a 3d printer group.

Quite a few people are selling their preorder of the elegoo Saturn and flipping em for about 400 extra bucks, which, just screams rear end in a top hat since it was a limited pre order. Between that and bots it's fairly hosed up. Doesn't come up often considering the traffic the group gets but at least once a day some fuckwit is either posting his that just got delivered for sale or bitching because someone has posted one for sale.

I very rarely search for other groups cause holy poo poo if you though those Slickdeals assholes were bad, these jackasses on Facebook take it to a whole new level. loving, e-karens or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was enjoying driving around looking for toys on Friday as I found a few things this week. If i go this full week without finding anything I don't know if the joy will remain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I was enjoying driving around looking for toys on Friday as I found a few things this week. If i go this full week without finding anything I don't know if the joy will remain.

I haven’t been doing any toy runs since all this started but I think I’ve ended up buying even more than usual online. I’m even buying stuff I wouldn’t normally collect just because I’m bored. Just off the top of my head I have on the way the two articulated icons samurai, a plasma series Egon, a Red Ranger, and like half a dozen Black Series preorders on top of a case of the AOTC wave that should be arriving this week. Plus I’ll be preordering the Hot Toys General Kenobi whenever that goes live and I’ve been eyeing that Hasbro Pulse Cobra Commander even though I’ve never cared about GI Joe.

I think all the money that would have gone towards seeing movies or outings with friends has just gone to toys since March.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got them!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Target website shows Baroness up for preorder right now, but it won't let me add it to my cart, even after signing in. Does anyone else have better luck?

https://www.target.com/p/g-i-joe-classified-series-baroness-with-c-o-i-l-figure-and-vehicle/-/A-79659825

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Target website shows Baroness up for preorder right now, but it won't let me add it to my cart, even after signing in. Does anyone else have better luck?

https://www.target.com/p/g-i-joe-classified-series-baroness-with-c-o-i-l-figure-and-vehicle/-/A-79659825

I'm just getting 'something went wrong and your order has not been added to the cart and we cannot guarantee it will be available later' so same Target crap.

Also scalpers are the worst. Sadly they sucked up to the manager at the comic store I used to work at so I had to deal with them more than anybody should. They'd buy out whatever, try to flip it on eBay and when they couldn't they'd come to us to trade it in for store credit for more stuff they thought they could flip and we'd wind up with the stuff that didn't sell.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 2, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hated those guys, the Pop dudes were insufferable. They'd lose their poo poo if we marked up a chase figure because they wanted to flip it for profit.

Edit: we're going to get brunch take out but we're stopping at target on the way, will look for Joes.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 2, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I was a member of 3 Dragon Ball figure groups on Facebook and quit all of 'em due to the toxicity. It sucks because you could find some really cool customs through there that weren't available anywhere else, and you would find better deals on figures than eBay. But now that my collection is up to date, I quit them whole-cloth 'cause it just wasn't worth it putting up with the morons on there.

The Fwoosh forums are cool as they have dedicated threads and forums for different lines. No offense to anyone in here, but you guys all mostly seem to collect domestic stuff; MotU, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Marvel Legends and occasionally Black Series. Fwoosh has threads for the import figures I collect like S.H. Figuarts, Figma, Mafex, etc.

Pleasantly surprised by the amount of progressive voices on there, too. Someone brought up Anthony's Customs and I mentioned that I stopped watching his reviews after one too many of his titles seemed vaguely misogynistic and anti-PC. Two trolls came to defend him, but quite a few more shot them down and agreed that the last thing this hobby needs are more dudes shooting down female and POC representation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I never got that vibe from Anthony's Customs but maybe that makes me part of the problem :confused:

I like his reviews - he nit-picks sometimes but he's gotten better about pointing out when he's nit-picking.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's fine. He's a genuinely good reviewer. He has a quality set up and he's critical without lavishing praise, can point out the good and bad. But when he had video titles like:

"Strong female character #2" for Yelena Belova

"Black Widow - Because Brie Larson was a bad enough female lead to get a dead character a solo film"

"Black Widow - Again, because who doesn't like sexy spy ladies in skin-tight onesies"

"Ms. Marvel - Because she's just as popular as any other Avenger. I mean why would we want Falcon, Black Panther, Hawkeye, War Machine, Vision, Wasp, Thor, Giant Man, Hulk, Real Captain Marvel, Hawkeye (yes, twice), Wolverine, Spider-Man, Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, Namor, Quasar, Doctor Who, Ronald McDonald or even Master Chief?"

I start to wonder, y'know? And yes, that last one is real. Putting aside the fact that many of the characters he listed have several figures already, is it really a bad idea to put out a figure of a female Muslim teenager instead of another white guy?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nanigans posted:

"Black Widow - Because Brie Larson was a bad enough female lead to get a dead character a solo film"

He's right though, Brie Larson sucked.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Didn't see any Joes yesterday, but I did find the final two Neca Godzillas. It's such a shame they lost the license. These last two are the biggest yet and both have a ton of personality.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sigher posted:

He's right though, Brie Larson sucked.

I didn't see either movie, but it's besides the point. The Black Widow movie had been planned forever and whatever your feelings on the movies/actress, etc. it has nothing to do with the toys. His job is to review the toys and titles like that just seem weird and a little creepy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I read that last one as a criticism of the Avengers videogame itself rather than the existence of the figure. Getting a Ms Marvel figure is a great change-up from getting yet another Iron Man, Wolverine, or Spider-Man. Like yeah the character is in the game therefore she's going to get a figure based on her appearance in the game, but he's questioning why she's in the game at all when there's a massive list of better-known, better-liked, more-prominent Avengers who people would rather play. Like given the game's roster she kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I never got that vibe from Anthony's Customs but maybe that makes me part of the problem :confused:

I like his reviews - he nit-picks sometimes but he's gotten better about pointing out when he's nit-picking.

One of his playlists has a Destiny debate in it, lol.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Xenomrph posted:

I read that last one as a criticism of the Avengers videogame itself rather than the existence of the figure. Getting a Ms Marvel figure is a great change-up from getting yet another Iron Man, Wolverine, or Spider-Man. Like yeah the character is in the game therefore she's going to get a figure based on her appearance in the game, but he's questioning why she's in the game at all when there's a massive list of better-known, better-liked, more-prominent Avengers who people would rather play. Like given the game's roster she kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

See above, what does the context of the figure have to do with the figure itself? Let people figure out for themselves if they like the character or not, your job is to review the figure. I understand he can do whatever he wants, and if he wants his personal feelings to leak into his reviews, who am I to say anything? I just stopped watching because I don't really want to support a guy who thinks it's wrong to have a POC represented in figure form instead of the millionth Iron Man repaint.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nanigans posted:

See above, what does the context of the figure have to do with the figure itself? Let people figure out for themselves if they like the character or not, your job is to review the figure. I understand he can do whatever he wants, and if he wants his personal feelings to leak into his reviews, who am I to say anything? I just stopped watching because I don't really want to support a guy who thinks it's wrong to have a POC represented in figure form instead of the millionth Iron Man repaint.
Right, but I don't think his review spoke negatively of the existence of the figure, the criticism was isolated to the title and I'm confident that was leveled at the game, not the figure. Keep in mind that like a quarter of the characters he listed as alternates were POC, including the first two he listed.

I mean to each their own; I think you're reading the title's intent differently than I am.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Because she’s the Kitty Pryde.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not a single Joe at Target.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Nanigans posted:

It's fine. He's a genuinely good reviewer. He has a quality set up and he's critical without lavishing praise, can point out the good and bad. But when he had video titles like:

"Strong female character #2" for Yelena Belova

"Black Widow - Again, because who doesn't like sexy spy ladies in skin-tight onesies"

"Ms. Marvel - Because she's just as popular as any other Avenger. I mean why would we want Falcon, Black Panther, Hawkeye, War Machine, Vision, Wasp, Thor, Giant Man, Hulk, Real Captain Marvel, Hawkeye (yes, twice), Wolverine, Spider-Man, Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, Namor, Quasar, Doctor Who, Ronald McDonald or even Master Chief?"

I start to wonder, y'know? And yes, that last one is real. Putting aside the fact that many of the characters he listed have several figures already, is it really a bad idea to put out a figure of a female Muslim teenager instead of another white guy?

I legit stopped following his channel for that poo poo. It was just so weird and unnecessary. I hadn't been watching his videos much at that point anyway cause the guy is way too critical about poo poo that the average person probably wouldn't even notice.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the little “Real Captain Marvel” slipped into that meltdown of a title. gently caress that guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I mean, if you only saw that title maybe you could defend it. But that "Real Captain Marvel" thing with all the other ones? No, the guy's just trash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most toy reviewers are terrible. Oddly I've come around on Pixel Dan now that I've realized that he actually is as happy and joyful as he appears in his video. Dude's just a big dorky kid. Dan Larsen is gruff and cynical but funny. Michael from Retroblasting is an elitist prick.

Also these MOTU Origins are making me very happy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just remembered Anthony's Customs was doing an overwatch figure review and dropped a line about not being happy with some of the "changes" being made to characters to aim at a certain crowd. my memory is a little hazy on his exact wording but he was definitely complaining that Solider 76 was gay.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

JT Smiley posted:

I just remembered Anthony's Customs was doing an overwatch figure review and dropped a line about not being happy with some of the "changes" being made to characters to aim at a certain crowd. my memory is a little hazy on his exact wording but he was definitely complaining that Solider 76 was gay.

That stuff I don’t have a problem with. Blizzard didn’t make a big deal of it and Solider 76 was never as far as I know shown to have a sexual orientation at all previously. It’s how handling LBGTQ characters should be much like in real life, you don’t know what someone’s sexual orientation is unless they reveal it to you because it isn’t something outwardly showing.

The stuff I had an issue with was DC and Marvel trying to retcon characters into being gay that made zero sense, like Alan Scott. It is disrespectful to everyone involved and reeks of disingenuous pandering.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Nanigans posted:

No offense to anyone in here, but you guys all mostly seem to collect domestic stuff; MotU, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Marvel Legends and occasionally Black Series. Fwoosh has threads for the import figures I collect like S.H. Figuarts, Figma, Mafex, etc.

I'd be interested in following a thread focused on these lines if that's necessary! I'm usually very broke so I don't buy 99% of the stuff anyone talks about here either way, but I like reading about it. One of my quarantine obsessions has been buying older figures on Ebay. Finally got one of my white whales, the Marvel Legends Silver Surfer and Howard the Duck set. For my money, one of the best figures ever made, but I'm also a huge Surfer fan. I have him mounted on my wall. The magnetic feet attaching to the board gives you so many cool options for display. Put him next to another recent pickup, Marvel Select Thanos.

I also got the recent Marvel Legends Doom from the Super Skrull set and holy crap it's incredible. Even ordered a little custom cosmic cube to put in his hand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Djarum posted:

The stuff I had an issue with was DC and Marvel trying to retcon characters into being gay that made zero sense, like Alan Scott. It is disrespectful to everyone involved and reeks of disingenuous pandering.

DC rebooted their entire universe, it's not really a retcon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And New 52 Alan Scott was basically an entirely new character.

And honestly, Alan Scott being gay really works with his origin era. His having to keep both his true identities a secret is added depth.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I don’t Anthony Custom videos as much because of the stuff highlighted here. The Kamala one was the weirdest one for me. It’s like.... she’s a central in the game.... the game this wave is based on..... why wouldn’t she get a figure?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And honestly, Alan Scott being gay really works with his origin era. His having to keep both his true identities a secret is added depth.

I remember when James Robinson subtly implied the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite, Charles McNider, was gay when he appeared in Starman. A woman referred to him as "not the marrying kind," which was well-understood coded language back in the '40s. I thought that brought some interesting diversity to the relatively bland, lily-white, and overwhelmingly male Golden Age JSA.

I've always had a soft spot for Dr. Mid-Nite -- he's blind, but can see in the dark with his special goggles, kick some rear end, AND he's an actual medical doctor -- kind of like DC's version of Daredevil, but a doctor instead of a lawyer. I have his DC Universe Classics figure standing next to his buddy Hourman, and really like both of them.

The newer Dr. Mid-Nite, Pieter Cross, was even cooler, because he was like a pulp hero with a network of helpers made up of people he had saved. Are any of the Mid-Nites doing anything these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Maybe, I admitted haven't really read any of the New 52 stuff since it is hard to get invested in DC when they reboot their universe every couple of years. It still doesn't help with the feeling of it being pandering to show that they have a well known gay character, just like Iceman in Marvel. If you have to shoehorn it in, it probably isn't a good thing.

I remember when James Robinson subtly implied the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite, Charles McNider, was gay when he appeared in Starman. A woman referred to him as "not the marrying kind," which was well-understood coded language back in the '40s. I thought that brought some interesting diversity to the relatively bland, lily-white, and overwhelmingly male Golden Age JSA.

I've always had a soft spot for Dr. Mid-Nite -- he's blind, but can see in the dark with his special goggles, kick some rear end, AND he's an actual medical doctor -- kind of like DC's version of Daredevil, but a doctor instead of a lawyer. I have his DC Universe Classics figure standing next to his buddy Hourman, and really like both of them.

The newer Dr. Mid-Nite, Pieter Cross, was even cooler, because he was like a pulp hero with a network of helpers made up of people he had saved. Are any of the Mid-Nites doing anything these days?

I agree with this and remember that sticking with me back then as there was not a lot of even acknowledging homosexuality in any sort of mainstream media, especially in comics. Granted most of the comic writers and editors are overwhelmingly white, male and straight. While I can appreciate the attempts as we have seen with most of the successful non white, male and straight characters in comics they need to be handled by those who come from those backgrounds.