Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't the movie supposed to have Hank Scorpio as the bad guy, but they thought he wasn't as well-known?

I was under the mistaken impression he would be there and that's the only reason I watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Apu isn't even an impression of an actual Indian person but an impression of Peter Sellers in brown face doing a dodgy Indian impression from the 1968 film The Party.

Here's my The Party story.

I am half Indian. So one day when I was about 6 or 7, we were round at my Aunt Kalyani's place for a dinner. This was after dinner so dessert was being served. She was serving home made Gulab Jamun. Which is quite literally the food of the gods. I will fight anyone who disagrees!

Anyways, there is a famous scene in the film where Peter Sellers is reading the brand name of the bird seed into a microphone in his in no way racist or offensive accent. "Birdy Num Num. Birdy Num Num." He adds to his, in no way racist performance by throwing some head wiggles as well.

Little kid me thought that was hilarious, and if the funny man on the screen could call bird food Birdy Num Num, then I could call Gulab Jamum "Ball Num Num". My entire family thought this was hilarious and cute and adorable, (which of course I was and still am). The problem arises is that now, more than 30 years later, anytime I see anyone from that side of the family, they ask me if I want some Ball Num Num.

Which of course I do, coz that poo poo is delicious.

Thank you for allowing me to share this indulgent and irrellevant story.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Now I want some Gulab Jamun. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they appear to be some kind of pure calorie bomb?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pick posted:

I ask myself how much more sweet this could be and the answer is none. None more sweet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Those look awesome.

I've thought for years that the Simpsons should have pulled a South Park and aged kids up a year. Let Krabapple deal with Lisa, give Bart a new victim, mix up a few other elements. Basically inject some fresh elements into the show.

In fact, I thought of that before South Park did it. Hell, they're due for 5th grade by now.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's my The Party story.

I am half Indian. So one day when I was about 6 or 7, we were round at my Aunt Kalyani's place for a dinner. This was after dinner so dessert was being served. She was serving home made Gulab Jamun. Which is quite literally the food of the gods. I will fight anyone who disagrees!

Anyways, there is a famous scene in the film where Peter Sellers is reading the brand name of the bird seed into a microphone in his in no way racist or offensive accent. "Birdy Num Num. Birdy Num Num." He adds to his, in no way racist performance by throwing some head wiggles as well.

Little kid me thought that was hilarious, and if the funny man on the screen could call bird food Birdy Num Num, then I could call Gulab Jamum "Ball Num Num". My entire family thought this was hilarious and cute and adorable, (which of course I was and still am). The problem arises is that now, more than 30 years later, anytime I see anyone from that side of the family, they ask me if I want some Ball Num Num.

Which of course I do, coz that poo poo is delicious.

Thank you for allowing me to share this indulgent and irrellevant story.

tbh "Ball Num Num" is a way more accurate name, really.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't the movie supposed to have Hank Scorpio as the bad guy, but they thought he wasn't as well-known?

I'm good with them not running Hank Scorpio into the ground.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Eh, I don't recall hank ever showing up again elsewhere plus this is the feature film, he deserved to be there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Spider-Man: Far from Home was a good Mysterio movie but a disposable Spidey movie. Having jokes about nearly killing a classmate with a drone just feels skeezy, as well as the fact the killer drone army was made by a so-called "good guy". Peter Parker having a billionaire backer also erodes his independence, a facet of his character which is what put him on the map on the first place. Peter stands out because he's not rich, has no mentor, and yet is far more emotionally mature than Bruce Wayne because he's not a shut-in with a retarded sexuality.

There's also the fact this came after Spider-verse which is now the seminal Spider-Man movie, and Peter Parker's not even the main character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's closer to Batman Beyond without what made it interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spider.Man Far From Home is basically an Iron Man/Agents of Shield movie featuring Spider-Man. I kinda liked the end twist though: Why isn't the world's most paranoid man suspicious of Mysterio? Because it isn't him, the real Fury is in space.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pick posted:

Welcome to the very idea of desserts, enjoy your stay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The new Spider-man movies kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the Tony Stark/mentor stuff, but fortunately that problem solved itself with End Game. I think they realized that when they had Parker leave his nano suit behind and become the Night Monkey.

Hopefully Stark Enterprises and Shield are absent in the next film and he's back to just dealing with poo poo in NYC. Maybe Aunt May will accidentally knock over the nano suit jar and break it.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I like the MCU Spider-Man films a lot, I’m just really bummed they cast Ben Mendelsohn in Captain Marvel because for years I’ve had him in my head as the best Doc Ock.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
Speaking of Matt Groening stuff that didn't age well. I was recently rewatching some of Futurama and "Bend Her" is just painful. Bender gets a female body installed so he can cheat at a sports competition, everyone remarks how freakish and wrong it is, he clearly doesn't really consider himself female and acts like a bimbo and like it's a big joke he's playing on men, and Leela and Amy tell him off for making their gender look stupid. I guess now I know what TERF comedy is like.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Those look awesome.

I've thought for years that the Simpsons should have pulled a South Park and aged kids up a year. Let Krabapple deal with Lisa, give Bart a new victim, mix up a few other elements. Basically inject some fresh elements into the show.

In fact, I thought of that before South Park did it. Hell, they're due for 5th grade by now.

Honestly the best simpsons episodes int he modern era say season 20 on are the ones where they go into the future and tell stories of Lisa and Bart being older.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

...And halloween story episodes where they do not need to care about any status quo or such.

Although they are also running out of ideas for those and have started to make more of them than 1 per year ; somewhere around Season ~24 I counted Halloween + 2 halloween style story episodes in one season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FreudianSlippers posted:

Apu isn't even an impression of an actual Indian person but an impression of Peter Sellers in brown face doing a dodgy Indian impression from the 1968 film The Party.

The only actual Indian person I've ever seen with that accent was on the 70s British comedy, Mind Your Language and I'm 99.9% sure he'd been told to talk like that to mimic Sellers.

The whole show was just horrible stereotypes. Even the intro was :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDqf0K4_uI&t=13s

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cradle to the Grape posted:

Speaking of Matt Groening stuff that didn't age well. I was recently rewatching some of Futurama and "Bend Her" is just painful. Bender gets a female body installed so he can cheat at a sports competition, everyone remarks how freakish and wrong it is, he clearly doesn't really consider himself female and acts like a bimbo and like it's a big joke he's playing on men, and Leela and Amy tell him off for making their gender look stupid. I guess now I know what TERF comedy is like.

Yeah, the original run of Futurama is a good show in general but there's a handful of episodes around Bender and gender that really don't hold up. Some gay jokes as well. I guess it's inevitable that when one of the jokes of the series is "social mores in the year 3000 are actually exactly the same as 2000" it's going to age badly.

Tenebrais has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Aug 2, 2020

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Simpsons after season 20 really likes to do future episodes, where it’ll be several times a season they do what if? versions of the future. The main issue is they always focus on Homer and Marge fighting or Bart being a future disappointment, so it’s the same thing a lot of the time

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Spider-Man: Far from Home was a good Mysterio movie but a disposable Spidey movie. Having jokes about nearly killing a classmate with a drone just feels skeezy, as well as the fact the killer drone army was made by a so-called "good guy". Peter Parker having a billionaire backer also erodes his independence, a facet of his character which is what put him on the map on the first place. Peter stands out because he's not rich, has no mentor, and yet is far more emotionally mature than Bruce Wayne because he's not a shut-in with a retarded sexuality.

There's also the fact this came after Spider-verse which is now the seminal Spider-Man movie, and Peter Parker's not even the main character.

Yeah I hate that I was thinking about this just this afternoon (very boring F1 race) but the comics would always twist themselves into contortions trying to simultaneously have Spider-Man cross over with as many titles as possible while simultaneously inventing a never ending string of reasons why he could never team up with anyone. To the point where even the cool has-his-poo poo together and in a long-term relationship with a famous model 35 year old Peter Parker of the '90s would just have a complete meltdown and mentally revert to age 17 the second the Avengers called to recruit this dude they'd just seen solo dunk on Dr. Doom. It frustrated the hell out of me as a kid (not that I wanted him on the Avengers because the Avengers have always been lame as hell, just my boy disrespecting himself like that).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vandar posted:

He was the president though?

EDIT: I am an idiot. Arnold was the actual president. Yeah let’s just use the real thing instead of his parody.l I guess.

They also had Albert Brooks as the EPA villain...y'know the guy who voiced Hank Scorpio. It's beyond stupid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't Arnold still the governor of California at that time? Maybe they figured that :thejoke: would be better with him instead of Wolfcastle? I dunno, just pulling guesses out of nowhere.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a clip where Al Jean, whose been running the Simpsons since you stopped watching, tells a funny story. Then he admits it's not his story, it's not a funny story, and he forgets how it ends before trailing off about what college he went to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I though it worked pretty well in the early years. I remember that the Avengers actually did try to recruit him fairly early on but Spider-Man leaves the moment they tell him he won’t be paid and they think he’s a greedy rear end in a top hat not realizing that he’s an 18 year old who needs to pay rent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only non-Apu South Asian character I remember from my youth was Dr. Vindaloo from Courage the Cowardly Dog, who definitely aged poorly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They were writing the Simpsons Movie with the assumption that they'd get people who hadn't seen the show at all (unlikely), or hadn't watched it in a while (considerably more likely). Rainier Wolfcastle works as an ongoing riff on action movie stars, but when you're writing for an audience that doesn't get the 'ongoing' part, it works far better to just have Arnold Schwarzenegger as a character. Similarly, who's going to work better among those unengaged audience members: a Bond movie riff who'd be entirely there as fanservice about one episode, or a character they can build from the ground up as a character with a role everyone would understand (in this case, 'head of the EPA')?

Personally, I agree with the 'Arnold as President' change, but I'd probably have been more interested in Scorpio as the villain. Although both of them being unfamiliar characters does aid with what I thought was a really strong, subtle part of the movie: that nothing set outside of Springfield has any familiar characters outside of a couple of the standard, like, three voices they give to random shopkeepers and the like. It really suits, especially given the entire vibe of the 'outside of Springfield' stretch of that movie is that the Simpsons just fled the town that has everyone they know in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hank Scorpio was also in one episode. If you’re able to introduce the character in a 22 minute episode a feature film should be no problem.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would Hank Scorpio have been head of the EPA, or would the government just not have been involved? It was the Bush years, right? It would not have been unusual for a millionaire industrialist supervillain to have been appointed head of the EPA.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snackula posted:

Yeah I hate that I was thinking about this just this afternoon (very boring F1 race) but the comics would always twist themselves into contortions trying to simultaneously have Spider-Man cross over with as many titles as possible while simultaneously inventing a never ending string of reasons why he could never team up with anyone. To the point where even the cool has-his-poo poo together and in a long-term relationship with a famous model 35 year old Peter Parker of the '90s would just have a complete meltdown and mentally revert to age 17 the second the Avengers called to recruit this dude they'd just seen solo dunk on Dr. Doom. It frustrated the hell out of me as a kid (not that I wanted him on the Avengers because the Avengers have always been lame as hell, just my boy disrespecting himself like that).

Then they sold his marriage to the devil.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s weird that they live in a universe where he’s got some of the world’s top scientists on speed dial and could probably whip up a healthy clone body or something to put her in, but apparently only the devil can treat bullet wounds.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Let Krabapple deal with Lisa...

:smith:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

As far as Simpsons jokes that have aged poorly I used to love that joke where Homer talks about his cousin Frank who became Francine and then “Mother Shabooboo” then at some point I realized the joke is saying that the only reason someone would be trans was if they had some messed up, traumatic childhood and that’s pretty hosed up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a clip where Al Jean, whose been running the Simpsons since you stopped watching, tells a funny story. Then he admits it's not his story, it's not a funny story, and he forgets how it ends before trailing off about what college he went to.

There’s also this
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1121577129508884480

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Would Hank Scorpio have been head of the EPA, or would the government just not have been involved? It was the Bush years, right? It would not have been unusual for a millionaire industrialist supervillain to have been appointed head of the EPA.

They coulda done that but I woulda just him being a supervillain.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

It’s weird that they live in a universe where he’s got some of the world’s top scientists on speed dial and could probably whip up a healthy clone body or something to put her in, but apparently only the devil can treat bullet wounds.

It's why I don't really like comics having a shared universe, it creates so many of these sort of problems. Why is Blade having to fight a one man war against vampires in a world where the Avengers and X-Men exist? They can't take a few days out of punching bank robbers to deal with loving vampires? Why is Batman swinging from rooftops and jumping through skylights when he could phone the Justice League and ask someone to go kick Joker in the dick before throwing him in jail at the speed of sound?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is Hank was actually a model employer and a supervillain.

Like he is much much less evil than a real CEO

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blade is part of a pretty large international network of vampire killers.

But he lives in London so he's mostly gallivanting around Europe fighting Dracula while most Marvel heroes stick to New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Why is Batman swinging from rooftops and jumping through skylights when he could phone the Justice League and ask someone to go kick Joker in the dick before throwing him in jail at the speed of sound?
Because Batman doesn't like to do that. During No Man's Land Superman offered to help and Batman refused it.