Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

To be fair, he actually wrote a lot of extremely good short stories and novellas going back almost 50 years. A Song of Ice and Fire is just the first of his works to be turned into a hit television series.
I watched Sandkings and Beauty and the Beast as a boy and have posted in TBB about GRRM for about 10 straight years. I'm actually being quite charitable when I say the dude doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Skwirl posted:

A further thread on Martin being a loving jack rear end.

https://twitter.com/jessnevins/status/1289939994572754946?s=20
:emptyquote: lmao this owns.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

that thread uses a whole lot of Inside Baseball terminology, gosh
Kind-of. You could extrapolate it to any real genre with gatekeepers in music or film, you don't need the specifics necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

that thread uses a whole lot of Inside Baseball terminology, gosh

Like what?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
well i don't know who a single person mentioned in that thread is for one thing

possibly joseph campbell i guess? if that's who she was referring to?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

well i don't know who a single person mentioned in that thread is for one thing

possibly joseph campbell i guess? if that's who she was referring to?

Ahh, the names are all prominent and foundational authors within the different genres, I assumed Agatha Christie was well known enough the rest could be figured out from context (hadn't heard of the romance writers before myself). John Campbell was a prolific and influential sci fi author (among other things wrote the short story the movie The Thing was based on) and editor of ASTOUNDING magazine where a lot of early "canon" sci-fi writers got their starts like Asimov, Heinlein and Arthur C Clarke.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Joyce Carol Oates teaches at (Ivy League) Princeton University, so her saying that Harvard Law “really isn’t Ivy League” is just her trying to distance herself from Dershowitz.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

oh right, John Campbell. I remember hearing how he would have hated John Carpenter's The Thing because Campbell demanded that humans always win, thusly proving their Pure Aryan Human Superiority

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People who really care about where your degrees are from will generally agree that Harvard law isn't on the same level as Harvard undergrad, but they aren't really healthy people, so don't try to think too much about their point of view.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

People who really care about where your degrees are from will generally agree that Harvard law isn't on the same level as Harvard undergrad, but they aren't really healthy people, so don't try to think too much about their point of view.

Huh, one of the gimmicks on the TV show Suits was that they only hired lawyers from Harvard, so finding out it doesn't actually have a reputation of being top of the tops is pretty funny.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Oates went to Syracuse, so her opinion doesn't matter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Huh, one of the gimmicks on the TV show Suits was that they only hired lawyers from Harvard, so finding out it doesn't actually have a reputation of being top of the tops is pretty funny.

No, Harvard is one of the top two law schools in the country, and a degree from there matters a lot. It's been a long time since we had a supreme court justice who wasn't a graduate of Harvard or Yale, and that probably won't be changing any time soon.

It just doesn't count for all that much in social situations where people who care about degrees in general come from, because they really care about undergraduate degrees. If you go to Harvard law after finishing your bachelor's at Ohio State, you're an Ohio State grad forever in their eyes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Or like how getting into Harvard because you got good grades and a scholarship is lower than getting in because you’re Shitstain Montgomery VII and your great great grandfather bought the first slave on campus grounds or w/e.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

^^^^
Ahh, I get it now.

Content:
https://twitter.com/bl00dstainz/status/1289567799614926851?s=20

I, uh, what? Even ignoring that's basically what all gorillas look like, does he think a zookeeper went to a gorilla store and picked out the gorilla that looked most like a video game character or something?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m assuming most legacies are mixed up in slavery somehow

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

^^^^
Ahh, I get it now.

Content:

I, uh, what? Even ignoring that's basically what all gorillas look like, does he think a zookeeper went to a gorilla store and picked out the gorilla that looked most like a video game character or something?

I might be :thejoke: here but I think the joke is that he didn’t realize gorillas are real animals and had only ever seen them in video games.

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Aug 2, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

drat, usually when I came across her posts they were pretty funny. What a weird hill to kamikaze yourself on.

Just imagine the flamewar she and Shanley could have had. We've been robbed. :smith:

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Millennials are the worst generation because they didn't get brain damage falling off their bikes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just imagine the flamewar she and Shanley could have had. We've been robbed. :smith:

Shanley stanning for Aileen Wuornos is my favorite dumb internet thing ever.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/s_amememe___/status/1289637318857392128?s=19

The whole thread is pretty boilerplate incel/Mra/conservative, but the "women are suppressing their maternal instinct to the point of *gasp* caring for immigrants" caught me by surprise. I had never heard that aspect of things before.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

you broke my grill posted:

Millennials are the worst generation because they didn't get brain damage falling off their bikes

Imagine being such an old miserable rear end in a top hat you want kids to get hurt.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Imagine being such an old miserable rear end in a top hat you want kids to get hurt.

There's a lot of them about. The same people moaning about how kids didn't have gluten intolerance/allergies/autism in their day. No, kids just died or got shipped off to asylums without anyone knowing what was wrong with them. Much better.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Or blaming them for things their parents did that they had no control over.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Waterbed Wendy posted:

The whole thread is pretty boilerplate incel/Mra/conservative, but the "women are suppressing their maternal instinct to the point of *gasp* caring for immigrants" caught me by surprise. I had never heard that aspect of things before.

the strasserites seem to be getting bolder these days, or maybe people are just noticing them more and going "get a load of these assholes"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Also, I always wear a helmet and I've been in bike accidents and they still loving hurt.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

good old millenials...how I hate them!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

We've been drugging women, especially housewives, for a lot longer than the past fifty years in order to keep them complacent.

Heroin was a brand name and you could buy it mail order from Sears.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/accidental_left/status/1289970985152573441

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

lol, that's a p good troll

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/dataandpolitics/status/1290007987994517510

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Skwirl posted:

^^^^
Ahh, I get it now.

Content:

I know calling SA a "comedy forum" can feel like a stretch, but come on, dude, at least try to recognize it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Charlie Brown: definitely a big hardass who really likes the idea of getting hurt.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

A further thread on Martin being a loving jack rear end.

https://twitter.com/jessnevins/status/1289939994572754946?s=20

good thread, also why I'm psyched for these upcoming books:

which granted skew more horror than sci-fi/fantasy (hey there's an opening for you valancourt)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goblin week posted:

I know calling SA a "comedy forum" can feel like a stretch, but come on, dude, at least try to recognize it

I was trying to point at the post two above mine and the other, also good, post slipped in while I was typing.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I appreciate the "-Fact" tag since I had my doubts about this one. Conservapedia used to do the same thing, if I recall correctly.

(Are we sure these are really serious and not a parody in the vein of Look Around You? "Pigs are feline-canine-rodent hybrids made of worms" is just the sort of thing that show would come up with.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SerialKilldeer posted:

(Are we sure these are really serious and not a parody in the vein of Look Around You? "Pigs are feline-canine-rodent hybrids made of worms" is just the sort of thing that show would come up with.)

it sounds so much like something from Garth Marenghi.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been following the GRRM mess.

1. ConZealand requested pronunciation guides from some (perhaps not all) nominees, then apparently did nothing with them. Mary Robinette Kowal, one of the individual category presenters, wasn't given a pronunciation guide and took it upon herself to check with nominees for the correct pronunciations.

2. Apart from the mispronounced names, GRRM went on and on. The entire ceremony was supposed to last 2 hours; it went on for 3.5 because of the length of GRRM's reminiscences, spilling over two sessions of panels that had been scheduled afterward. An irritated fan commented "I cut a THREE HOUR & THIRTY-FIVE MINUTE CEREMONY down to 1:41:02 *JUST* by cutting out Martin & Silverberg." (I don't know details about Bob Silverberg's speech other than that people hated it.)

3. Apart from the length, GRRM sees himself as a raconteur and spent all his time telling stories about himself and his friends in the 20th century. There was little mention of works and authors from after 2000. It was focused on the Great Men of the past: Campbell, Heinlein, et al.

4. Last year Jeannette Ng, who had just won the John M. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, began her speech with "John M. Campbell was a loving fascist." It was a barnburner of a speech. Shortly thereafter, after years of complaint, the award was renamed the Astounding [the magazine] Award for Best New Writer. This year, GRRM not only spent a lot of time reminiscing about Campbell as a giant of the field, but pronounced "Astounding Award" with an audible sneer every time. It was widely seen as sweet sweet justice that Jeannette Ng's 2019 speech won this year's Best Related Work Hugo.

5. He made a "real men have dicks" joke.

So. He had real things to apologize for, and his "all have sinned" post didn't address them.

https://www.pretty-terrible.com/george-r-r-martin-2020-hugo-awards/ (Disclaimer: Natalie and I follow each other on Twitter, but that's the extent of the acquaintance. This post is not solely based on Natalie's blog post.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwirl posted:

I was trying to point at the post two above mine and the other, also good, post slipped in while I was typing.

The gorrilla thing was an extremely obvious joke
you are the idiots on social media, sorry

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To be fair, GRRM's response to the complaints.

My favorite bit:

quote:

Most of the stories I told last night were time-tested, in a sense. I have told those same stories before. Usually they get big laughs. Or medium sized laughs, in any case.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/GamerTakes/status/1289871638306025472

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What is it with people and not loving showering when they're showing?

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1289990168665968642

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RoboRodent posted:

I can never decide which I like more, the idea that Gregor Mendel invented soybeans or that by hybridizing a rodent and two carnivora (none of which are worms) you'll produce an animal that is made of worms. The latter has more insane crazy to it, but the idea that an Augustinian friar doing experiments with peas created beans that are so alien we can't digest them has a subtle weirdness that appeals to me.

Edit: actually, as a bonus, Mendel was born in 1822, so he invented soybeans as a precocious three year old.
One of my grandmas was convinced manx cats were created by breeding a normal cat with a rabbit, but at least she didn't think that turned the offspring into worm gestalts somehow.