Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at posting this like, a fifth of a page after someone goes "hey, just starting the game!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, please spoiler your shits, I don't want to know.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
my bad, ya'll

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, an interesting aspect of Harry's portrait is that the colors in his "aura" don't fully rest upon him. There is a blank gap between himself and his aura, as though available to be filled by the player, or forgotten in his stupor. However, he does have political affiliations in his aura, the yellow and blue, by the very nature of his 'job'. You can't be an apolitical enforcer of the state, after all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tias posted:

Just started this game, and while amazing, it is pretty disorienting to have so many quests and not know exactly how to go about them. I find myself blowing a lot of checks and fearing that I can't go back to them (often they're 'red' checks).

Any advice on how to get the most out of a casual playthrough?

Don't worry about failing checks. You're going to fail a lot. One of the central themes of the game is dealing with failure, and that is reflected in the gameplay.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Game is fantastic, though it’s kinda sad to me that the most important parts of the ending are technically optional or have failable checks the dream and the bug. I remember early reviews criticizing the end of the game and I could easily see it if you somehow missed those because it certainly would have fallen flat that way.

Oh yeah, also the payphone being missable :(

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 1, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m a bit fan of having missable stuff in games and wish more games had the stones to do it. I like to replay games quite a bit and that gives incentive.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a bit fan of having missable stuff in games and wish more games had the stones to do it. I like to replay games quite a bit and that gives incentive.

I agree with most of this, but DE feels like such a well put together story that missing the Phasmid conversation, which feels like the culmination of the various themes of the game and its final statement on them, seems like it would detract a lot from the experience.

Its a really interesting tool that games have available, to be able to remove and obfuscate certain parts of its text, but I'm not sure if it can be used effectivley in all works of game media.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

JustaDamnFool posted:

I agree with most of this, but DE feels like such a well put together story that missing the Phasmid conversation, which feels like the culmination of the various themes of the game and its final statement on them, seems like it would detract a lot from the experience.

Its a really interesting tool that games have available, to be able to remove and obfuscate certain parts of its text, but I'm not sure if it can be used effectivley in all works of game media.

I view it as an extra reward for those able to find it. A problem with games now is they feel too obligated to make sure the player experiences every bit of content available even if it doesnt fot with the story.

why should the phone call, phasmid or dream be mandatory in the game if your actions during the game didnt reflect the lead up to those scenes.

If you completely ignore everything dealing with your ex
or Dolores Dei, the dream sequence would be almost nonsensical. Same with the phasmid. If it just shows up without you completing the sidequests, it would be a jarring shoehorn of a scene.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
except you can do all those quests and engage with all those themes and still miss those scenes?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, wait, Ruby is queer? And so is Glen? And... Kim, maybe? Where are you folks getting this?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yes, yes and yes. Though I forget how directly the third is said. Memory is imperfect and it's not a huge deal for me, so maybe moments did not stick in my mind.

First The centrefolds in her lorry. And also Klaasje will straight up tell you (and Ruby'll admit it if you ask) if you keep passing checks to push her about the murder.

Second I forget when, but at some point in the Hardy boy chatter it comes up. They don't really care.

Third This one is mostly more subtle in how he is very eye-rolling about anything touching the subject. If you take to the balcony smoker and pass a composure check you can get a thought about 'the homosexual underground' which gently mocks your character for being quite dumb about the whole affair.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That conversation with the Smoker and Kim’s stifled reactions are great.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, wait, Ruby is queer? And so is Glen? And... Kim, maybe? Where are you folks getting this?

For the 2nd: certain passive skill checks while talking with the Hardie boys make it clear that Glen's leering at the Gardener is overcompensation due to his fear of being viewed as less masculine due to his sexuality, even if the rest of his mates don't really care. Additionally I think Titus calls him a 'homo' while mourning him post tribunal, but I may be misremembering.

For the third its pretty clear by how flustered HDB is by the smoker on the balcony that he's attracted to him, but is completely failing to handle it due to his own conception of his sexuality and masculinity. Kim has a good laugh at this struggle, but if you internalise the related thought you can ask if he's gay. He's clearly annoyed by the line of questioning, but says yes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It saddens me that the most profound work of fiction that influenced me recently can't wotk well in conversation because its a video game. Because the whole thing is so great, more than it has any right to be, being on the cover of Time magazine helps a bit. It was actually not only pleasure to play but a healing a experince because if such a disaster as Harry DuBois has the right to exist and is actually beautiful than I with all my faults is safe.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

JustaDamnFool posted:

For the third its pretty clear by how flustered HDB is by the smoker on the balcony that he's attracted to him, but is completely failing to handle it due to his own conception of his sexuality and masculinity. Kim has a good laugh at this struggle, but if you internalise the related thought you can ask if he's gay. He's clearly annoyed by the line of questioning, but says yes.

WHAAAAAT?!

I never got this vibe at all. he called me bad with kids so i figured kim was a family man. I really need to try to try and see this one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You mostly get the Ruby reveal if you threaten to arrest Klaasje.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i mean there's always the foot-steps around the peep-hole...

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doc Hawkins posted:

i mean there's always the foot-steps around the peep-hole...

That's from the deserter though, not Ruby.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

UnknownMercenary posted:

That's from the deserter though, not Ruby.

Oh, sure, that makes sense, what with the flowers. I do not remember getting confirmation of that and I made a false assumption.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh, sure, that makes sense, what with the flowers. I do not remember getting confirmation of that and I made a false assumption.

he confirms that the phasmid is making him horny

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Philman posted:

WHAAAAAT?!

I never got this vibe at all. he called me bad with kids so i figured kim was a family man. I really need to try to try and see this one.

It's fiddly to get but if you pass Encyclopedia about pinballs and Kim. You learn about his stint undercover with youth crimes unit (as a youth I think? Unclear), his nickname Kimball, and how he basically never wants to deal with kids as a police officer again now he's grown up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tylana posted:

It's fiddly to get but if you pass Encyclopedia about pinballs and Kim. You learn about his stint undercover with youth crimes unit (as a youth I think? Unclear), his nickname Kimball, and how he basically never wants to deal with kids as a police officer again now he's grown up.

that's part of why he's so grumpy about it - he was in that gig for a really long time, long into adulthood/his career:
"Oh yeah? I did 15 years in the Juvenile Crime Unit. I can *do* age-inappropriate."
"It was not okay. I needed to become a... *pinball champion*." He shudders. "I trained for 9 months. The job was successful and I was moved out of the juvenile wing -- to homicide."
"That time is over now." He looks at the pinball machine and breathes in. "I was already a 38 year old man. It was unbecoming. As was playing pinball."

(from this text dump of the game)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, Kim's thing is that he's always wanted to be taken seriously as an officer, but since he was able to pass for a teenager well into his thirties - he'd been on undercover juvie detail from 23-38 years old, and he's 43 at the time of the game. He doesn't want to deal with that anymore, he doesn't even want to give an inch on being pulled back to that world. It's his own personal trauma.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't even imagine him trying to act like a teenager.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well you've never seen him go off at a pinball table.

On a serious note, I imagine his strict and professional demeanor is directly a result of trying to distance himself from the juvie unit, a form of over-compensating for his traumatic past and creating a distance between his past and present. He probably could submerge himself into the youth culture if he chose to do so, but his current situation dictates to decisively distance himself from tha, and to erect as many barricades as possible.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 2, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kim "Kimball" Kitsuragi, 34, wearing shades and a backwards cap, trying to convince his superiors that kids are into yo-yos now

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

How do you do, fellow delinquents?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
We know Kim has killed at least one person at the start of the game, and I assume it's whoever came up with "Kimball."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to die in the tribunal, or do you only ever get wounded?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Olive Branch posted:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

lmao

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
21 Jump Street, Martenaise, Revachol.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Olive Branch posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How dare you suggest Kimball was a bad juvie officer

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:kiss:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

steinrokkan posted:

not possible to die, pretty sure

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

:five:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

steinrokkan posted:

You only ever get wounded. You can dodge the first shot, the second shot never misses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

The first shot they take at you can hit you if you fail to dodge it, and does standard health damage. I think this is the only way you can die in the tribunal - you can't die from the second, unavoidable shot.