Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This really sums up conservative ideology in a bunch of ways. Probably more than they realize.
It gleefully wishes pain on others. It suggests hurting children until they act "right". It savors the idea of violence upon those they've personally deemed "stupid" (meaning "disagrees with me" because conservatives are never wrong). It reflects on progress, protection of children, safety, improved health, and better consciousness as bad. My favorite of all might be that suggesting stupid should hurt is perfect because it's basically admitting that without some kind of immediate physical trigger they'd never recognize when they're acting stupid. There's no other way to tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What is it with people and not loving showering when they're showing?

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1289990168665968642

I literally had mud spattered up my knees and elbows after working in the garden today, are they trying to convince me they'd just leave that? Because those parts don't get dirty?

I picture this person with cracked rhino feet and fuckin dead-rear end sore-pocked zombie leather for legs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knormal posted:

One of my grandmas was convinced manx cats were created by breeding a normal cat with a rabbit, but at least she didn't think that turned the offspring into worm gestalts somehow.

That was a common belief for a long time because in addition to the stubby tail they're hind legs are often weird in a way that resembles rabbits.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vib Rib posted:

This really sums up conservative ideology in a bunch of ways. Probably more than they realize.
It gleefully wishes pain on others. It suggests hurting children until they act "right". It savors the idea of violence upon those they've personally deemed "stupid" (meaning "disagrees with me" because conservatives are never wrong). It reflects on progress, protection of children, safety, improved health, and better consciousness as bad. My favorite of all might be that suggesting stupid should hurt is perfect because it's basically admitting that without some kind of immediate physical trigger they'd never recognize when they're acting stupid. There's no other way to tell!

Don’t forget assigning the thought to a fictional character who never would have said it!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/profmusgrave/status/1290084086514503680

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1289990168665968642

So what was the context of this post? Like why share this with the internet?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JT Smiley posted:

So what was the context of this post? Like why share this with the internet?

Just another messy shithead who lives for attention.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I literally had mud spattered up my knees and elbows after working in the garden today, are they trying to convince me they'd just leave that? Because those parts don't get dirty?

I picture this person with cracked rhino feet and fuckin dead-rear end sore-pocked zombie leather for legs

I have a bit of a bad habit of forgetting to wash my feet when I shower. I do it if they're noticeably dirty but otherwise I often just don't, doesn't really occur to me as I don't have stinky feet. I think it's because I've slipped a few times in the shower so I try to keep both feet on the ground when I'm in it.

Calves though seems like a slightly weird aversion if you're already washing half of your legs? Why not the other half?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Haven't seen a "maritime admiralty law" post in a while.

https://twitter.com/BadLegalTakes/status/1290097335557435393?s=19

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Dewgy posted:

Don’t forget assigning the thought to a fictional character who never would have said it!

They really picked a kid whose appeal is that he's sensitive, nervous, and anxious. It's like if they made Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes complain about how kids these days aren't respectful.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arivia posted:

Do you not know who Joyce Carol Oates is? Like she’s pointing out what the use of the term “Ivy League education” is, and that it generally refers to bachelor/undergraduate degrees. That’s it. The comments from graduate/law students back her up, pointing out that Harvard Law is very prestigious but the category of that prestige in law schools is called something different.

Welp always take a look at who is actually tweeting things, folks.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's like if they made Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes complain about how kids these days aren't respectful.

I’m sure this exists. Or Calvin pissing on AOC or some poo poo.

I had a roommate in college that bragged about never washing his legs from the knee down. This is the first time I’ve heard that again in twenty years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What is it with people and thinking everybody in the world needs to know how they shower?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

Haven't seen a "maritime admiralty law" post in a while.

https://twitter.com/BadLegalTakes/status/1290097335557435393?s=19

Good old standard batshit freemen of the land.

Refreshing!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Welp always take a look at who is actually tweeting things, folks.

I think absurd alhazred had a bad day. In both this thread and the cspam culture warriors one he posted a couple tweets that look really stupid/terrible if you don’t look at who’s actually made them. (The other one was “what menstrual supplies do you use”, which is a horrible thing for a regular reply guy to ask, but much more reasonable from the practicing gynecologist who made it.)

Then looking at it here removes it of context so you’re less likely to notice the Ivy League tweet is by Joyce Carol Oates and just think of it as IOSM since it’s in the context of other IOSM. It’s a mistake still, but a far more understandable one.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Okay I looked up Joyce Carol Oates, but I still don't understand the point of splitting hairs over where the pedophile lawyer went to school.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

I think absurd alhazred had a bad day. In both this thread and the cspam culture warriors one he posted a couple tweets that look really stupid/terrible if you don’t look at who’s actually made them. (The other one was “what menstrual supplies do you use”, which is a horrible thing for a regular reply guy to ask, but much more reasonable from the practicing gynecologist who made it.)

Then looking at it here removes it of context so you’re less likely to notice the Ivy League tweet is by Joyce Carol Oates and just think of it as IOSM since it’s in the context of other IOSM. It’s a mistake still, but a far more understandable one.

I just checked and the last time I posted on the C-SPAM thread was in February, so I think you have the wrong person.

Also JCO is a self-important Princeton-based literary shithead and is absolutely being a "well, actually" idiot here.

rodbeard posted:

Okay I looked up Joyce Carol Oates, but I still don't understand the point of splitting hairs over where the pedophile lawyer went to school.

She's defending her institutional power from guilt by association.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Keep on fuckin' that chicken, dude.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one is a wild ride. Thread.

https://twitter.com/endlesswario/status/1290062477657436161

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

rodbeard posted:

She teaches at Princeton, an Ivy League university. She is trying to distance herself from Dershowitz by claiming that Harvard Law School, where he teaches, is somehow not “really” Ivy League. This is clearly nonsense.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1290099395220799488?s=19

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just checked and the last time I posted on the C-SPAM thread was in February, so I think you have the wrong person.

Also JCO is a self-important Princeton-based literary shithead and is absolutely being a "well, actually" idiot here.

She's defending her institutional power from guilt by association.

My bad, the Jen Gunter tweet was posted by another poster named just Alhazred. No wonder I thought it was you though.

Also I’m more inclined to think that the English professor and literary short story novelist is trying to safeguard specific language instead of covering for Dersh who has absolutely nothing tying them in common.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been following the GRRM mess.

1. ConZealand requested pronunciation guides from some (perhaps not all) nominees, then apparently did nothing with them. Mary Robinette Kowal, one of the individual category presenters, wasn't given a pronunciation guide and took it upon herself to check with nominees for the correct pronunciations.

2. Apart from the mispronounced names, GRRM went on and on. The entire ceremony was supposed to last 2 hours; it went on for 3.5 because of the length of GRRM's reminiscences, spilling over two sessions of panels that had been scheduled afterward. An irritated fan commented "I cut a THREE HOUR & THIRTY-FIVE MINUTE CEREMONY down to 1:41:02 *JUST* by cutting out Martin & Silverberg." (I don't know details about Bob Silverberg's speech other than that people hated it.)

3. Apart from the length, GRRM sees himself as a raconteur and spent all his time telling stories about himself and his friends in the 20th century. There was little mention of works and authors from after 2000. It was focused on the Great Men of the past: Campbell, Heinlein, et al.

4. Last year Jeannette Ng, who had just won the John M. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, began her speech with "John M. Campbell was a loving fascist." It was a barnburner of a speech. Shortly thereafter, after years of complaint, the award was renamed the Astounding [the magazine] Award for Best New Writer. This year, GRRM not only spent a lot of time reminiscing about Campbell as a giant of the field, but pronounced "Astounding Award" with an audible sneer every time. It was widely seen as sweet sweet justice that Jeannette Ng's 2019 speech won this year's Best Related Work Hugo.

5. He made a "real men have dicks" joke.

So. He had real things to apologize for, and his "all have sinned" post didn't address them.

https://www.pretty-terrible.com/george-r-r-martin-2020-hugo-awards/ (Disclaimer: Natalie and I follow each other on Twitter, but that's the extent of the acquaintance. This post is not solely based on Natalie's blog post.

Holy poo poo. Now I gotta read all of Jeannette's work. That speech ruled

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

My bad, the Jen Gunter tweet was posted by another poster named just Alhazred. No wonder I thought it was you though.

I don't know what I did to you, but if you have some kind of grudge, how about working it out somewhere else?

quote:

Also I’m more inclined to think that the English professor and literary short story novelist is trying to safeguard specific language instead of covering for Dersh who has absolutely nothing tying them in common.

I didn't say she was covering for Dersh, I said she was trying to dissociate her elite institution from his elite institution on spurious grounds. I agree that English professors and writers are very good at weaponizing words for such nefarious purposes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know what I did to you, but if you have some kind of grudge, how about working it out somewhere else?

Huh? No, no grudge. I’m just saying it’s understandable I thought it was you because the other poster’s name is literally part of yours.

quote:

I didn't say she was covering for Dersh, I said she was trying to dissociate her elite institution from his elite institution on spurious grounds. I agree that English professors and writers are very good at weaponizing words for such nefarious purposes.

I don’t think she’s trying to disassociate her institution or defend anything. Her original tweet is way too tentative and way too conciliatory to be anything but a terminology clarification.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I don't understand why that link just rotted, but it did. Jeannette Ng's speech.

https://medium.com/@nettlefish/john-w-campbell-for-whom-this-award-was-named-was-a-fascist-f693323d3293

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arivia posted:

I don’t think she’s trying to disassociate her institution or defend anything. Her original tweet is way too tentative and way too conciliatory to be anything but a terminology clarification.

That’s just setting up the bait.

It’s like Cunningham’s Law. You cannot just make a statement on Twitter. You have to get into an argument. It drives engagement.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Arivia posted:

Huh? No, no grudge. I’m just saying it’s understandable I thought it was you because the other poster’s name is literally part of yours.

nah, that's exactly what she's doing. probably to no real end or with no point, it probably touched a weird nerve for her. but there's no other reason to link the two outside of feeling personally uncomfortable about *something.* the ivy league schools don't need her to bail them out of this, but I'd guess it's a clash of what her own values or self-perception are and the tangential association with a child molester of status. it's a variation of "no true scotsman."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This thread doesn't need you creating content for it, there's plenty elsewhere.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This thread doesn't need you creating content for it, there's plenty elsewhere.

No, please go on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
LinkedIn is a loving cancer sometimes:

quote:

Getting a JOB during COVID is hard.

But, if you’re not willing to pay the price,

You don’t even deserve to get it...

Let me tell you something.

I know 2 guys who were laid off during COVID

3 months after that -

The 1st guy is still watching Netflix.

Drinking beer.

“Trying” to find a new JOB.

Put simply - waiting for the perfect time.

He is complaining every day.

He has applied 27 times already. (wow!)

But no reply.

He is 100% sure he is the best PRO in town.

But companies are just not hiring now. (of course!)

The second guy lives in a different world.

He went ALL IN!

He applied 148 times.

With a polished CV plus a nice LinkedIn profile.

He has been working hard all these 3 months.

He was building his network.

He didn’t have much time to relax.

Because his goal was to find a JOB, not to relax!

7 days ago he had his 4th interview.

Today he has a job. The one he wanted.

Now his friends are saying “he is lucky”.

Well, let me ask you this:

Did he create the luck or just get it from nowhere?

I remember this quote by Seneca:

“Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity.”

Do you agree?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

seiferguy posted:

LinkedIn is a loving cancer sometimes:

That second guy sounds like a loving chump.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/gerardaraud/status/1289624254007226368?s=21

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I don't get it, that's factually, objectively correct?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
as a Frenchman, he would prefer you not think of the years before 1945

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Oh, click on the person's profile. Then it makes sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

StillFullyTerrible posted:

as a Frenchman, he would prefer you not think of the years before 1945

Also the French are like the only people that aren't allowed to give us poo poo about Vietnam.

And thirdly the period between 1945 and now is the longest period of time in recorded history there hasn't been a war fought on (western) European soil.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

seiferguy posted:

" Did he create the luck or just get it from nowhere? "
Well given that he sent out 150 applications and got the job from the one he wanted most, I would say luck.
Hell, those other applications were unrelated at best and a loving waste at worst. He could've just applied at the one place he wanted and he would've gotten it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vib Rib posted:

Well given that he sent out 150 applications and got the job from the one he wanted most, I would say luck.
Hell, those other applications were unrelated at best and a loving waste at worst. He could've just applied at the one place he wanted and he would've gotten it.

Also possible that he basically redrew his victory conditions after the fact and ended up with a job that he only took out of desperation, while the first guy is holding out for something he actually wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't get it, that's factually, objectively correct?

Nothing happened between 1939-1945 or prior to 1919 that might change the context of that tweet. Right?