Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We should also consider the small possibility that Dave kills White Chain and it doesn't even slow her down. She's running at pretty advanced levels of Royalty at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I know this has been said over and over but I Iiterally muttered "what the gently caress" to myself while I was reading this update. What the gently caress.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dead Reckoning posted:

A satisfying narrative twist is one that you don't see coming, but nevertheless makes sense in hindsight.

The whole arc of the angels and devils has been built around the idea that they are different from mortals and servants, and have to find their way in a universe that has been ordered by humans since Zoss split the firmament and humans gave masks to devils. Abbadon's comments and off-panel text as recently as the Allicio bit indicate that the cold white flame and hot black flame are not long term (or in many cases, short term) compatible with squishy mortal bodies and souls. Devils and angels both pay a price for their immortality, either in the need to consume, or in being static. The existence of Petals, for example, doesn't make any sense if being an angel is just something you can opt out of while still retaining a coherent identity.

It's not narratively satisfying to say, "actually this has been possible all along, just nobody in the whole history of the cosmos has ever tried it, every single one of them just assumed it was impossible" or "no one in general and White Chain specifically just didn't want it badly enough until right now."

I think it would be worth noting that Petal Knights don’t generally seem to be quite as, uh, stupidly self-destructive as White Chain was being, and found ways to be themselves that didn’t involve smashing themselves against the world so hard and so repeatedly that their new body has kintsugi scars.

Furious dumbassery sometimes seizes miracles; Royalty is a rare phenomenon.

Also what does seem to be unique about White Chain is trying to square the paradox of both wanting to be An Angel and pursue her duty, and wanting to express her true self. That’s what led her to this point; Petal Knights definitionally hosed off the terrible cop job, and White Chain has been slapping herself against it for millennia. Nobody else built up that kind of sheer friction; maybe if Juggernaut Star trades in from the Thorns something similar could happen but it’s a pretty wild set of extremes that got us here.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Darth Walrus posted:

We should also consider the small possibility that Dave kills White Chain and it doesn't even slow her down. She's running at pretty advanced levels of Royalty at the moment.

That's basically what just happened. After the punch started shattering White Chain's armor there should have been a kaboom. Instead there was Transcendence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

That's basically what just happened. After the punch started shattering White Chain's armor there should have been a kaboom. Instead there was Transcendence.

It'd be funny if Sol keeps banging his head against that brick wall, though.

"Dear god, man, stop! Your attacks are only making her more fabulous!"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

1) I hope she survives more than a few minutes
2) I hope Cio keeps calling her Stone Face

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bilirubin posted:

1) I hope she survives more than a few minutes
2) I hope Cio keeps calling her Stone Face

nah she's gonna formally retire "stoneyarse" while wearing a really lewd expression

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

wait, look at WC's forehead glow

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kinda looks like Allison tbh.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

If Solomon is too stunned/awed to harm White Chain now, you can be sure that 2 Michael and his host of immortal defeatists are incoming fueled with nihilistic fury.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Kinda looks like Allison tbh.

A bit maybe?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Also you think Robot would be a good choice to help guide her in her new mortality?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bilirubin posted:

the lightning effect just makes me think "frankenstein"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think the point is that White Chain didn’t cut Solomon, she just did something completely unconcerned with him that he never imagined. This isn’t for him, he’s just a perfect representative of everything she’s trying to change in herself.

And then a miracle occurred and Solomon, whose entire ideology is that Better Things Aren’t Possible, just learned that he doesn’t really know what’s possible at all. He may have just witnessed Royalty, as White Chain literally punched past her own essential limitations to become something that has never before existed in the history of the world.

But yeah she didn’t win the fight and we’ll see if he’ll just murder a miracle. How much does it have to become clear that the world is changing for him to stop holding onto it?

If you look at the third page the sequence of events is pretty clear; She soul-punched the poo poo out of him, Cut his cheek, and was reborn with that terrible fire of Will to get her deepest wish fulfilled. The next page is probably gonna have him turn to reveal the wound, either immediately or let him be smug for a panel before that perfect Cut starts dripping.

He also can't so much as lay a hand on her now, because he's trapped by his own rules and she just won.

Tekne posted:

If Solomon is too stunned/awed to harm White Chain now, you can be sure that 2 Michael and his host of immortal defeatists are incoming fueled with nihilistic fury.

While the smart money's still on Gog-A-Gog revealing they're almost everyone's Pal, I think there's an outside chance of "Angels swarming in to destroy the thing they deem an abomination" at least. Or both.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is Dead Reckoning still obsessed with Fantasy Race Realism lmfao

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Furious dumbassery sometimes seizes miracles; Royalty is a rare phenomenon.
This isn't at all like any of the examples of Royalty presented in the comic though. Every example of Royalty has been about cutting away all aspects of self and desire in pursuit of a single transcendent goal. Meti was Royal and the greatest killer to ever live because she devoted her entire being to the art of killing at the expense of everything else. On the other hand, White Chain's fixation on her gender is archetypal grasping. More to the point, she isn't giving up or cutting away anything except maybe membership in an order she's never expressed any particular enthusiasm towards.

Vigilant Gaze basically gave her a hall pass/pep talk on giving up her identity as a Concordant Knight to more authentically pursue her desire to protect the weak, but there's no good reason that bit of character development should also reward her with the secrets of Ki Rata and also actualize her innermost desires for her body.

Giving up a role you were never fully comfortable with in exchange for Ultimate Kung Fu Tao and living your absolute best and most authentic life doesn't seem Royal so much as a choice any reasonable person might make with a little therapy: Royalty is very much not about making reasonable choices.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Giving up a role you were never fully comfortable with in exchange for Ultimate Kung Fu Tao and living your absolute best and most authentic life doesn't seem Royal so much as a choice any reasonable person might make with a little therapy: Royalty is very much not about making reasonable choices.

She single-mindedly fought knowing she would almost certainly be destroyed, and managed to punch a fully Ki-Rata'ed Solomon David at his most powerful while achieving a Cut upon his perfect defenses in the process. One that billions will literally weep over at its significance and perfection. She is the definition of Royalty.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
dave's attack did so much damage that white chain's hp underflowed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So when's the next update

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She single-mindedly fought knowing she would almost certainly be destroyed, and managed to punch a fully Ki-Rata'ed Solomon David at his most powerful while achieving a Cut upon his perfect defenses in the process. One that billions will literally weep over at its significance and perfection. She is the definition of Royalty.
One, it's difficult to describe destruction of your physical body as a sacrifice when you aren't really a fan of it and also have blown it up eighty one times before.

Two, Zoss could not possibly have been more clear that out-punching the demiurges was not the path to royalty.

E: Abbadon wrote a whole story where the chief antagonists are seven people who cannot achieve their goals despite godlike power because they keep letting some sort of ego, desire, or fear knock them off track. I feel like he kind of blew that up by letting White Chain both achieve her goals and simultaneously fulfil her ego based desires because he wanted to give her this story beat.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you look at the third page the sequence of events is pretty clear; She soul-punched the poo poo out of him, Cut his cheek, and was reborn with that terrible fire of Will to get her deepest wish fulfilled. The next page is probably gonna have him turn to reveal the wound, either immediately or let him be smug for a panel before that perfect Cut starts dripping.

He also can't so much as lay a hand on her now, because he's trapped by his own rules and she just won.

While the smart money's still on Gog-A-Gog revealing they're almost everyone's Pal, I think there's an outside chance of "Angels swarming in to destroy the thing they deem an abomination" at least. Or both.

It's going to end up being literally every faction at once showing up

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah, I'm realizing now that's what this post meant

Demiurge4 posted:

White Chain is manifesting an honest to god soul flame on her brow.

but what this post actually got me to notice is on the last page White Chain has a flame above her head, too, which I totally missed on the fist half-dozen times I looked at this set of pages.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Upon further introspection, it looks like White Chain won that Twitter poll too after all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wonder when Allison's gonna have to remember the favor she owes Him

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Those freckles are loving adorable. :3:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It'd be too fuckin crazy if himself sent someone or a barge of random lunatics busted in or whatever, whatever happens is gonna be on par with the current normal

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sindai posted:

The true miracle is Abbadon beating his predicted time by five days. We don't deserve him.

It actually took all five days, but this moment was so rad that Abbadon was able to do all the work during Solomon Dave's hypertime, so he burned his fingers to nubs in what was, for us, much less subjective time!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Two, Zoss could not possibly have been more clear that out-punching the demiurges was not the path to royalty.

Out-punching in acts of destruction. The point made at-large is they're a bunch of idiot children using the fires of creation as one would a sharp stick or heavy rock. White Chain just wielded them to forge herself a whole new body and defeat Solomon David at the same time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So when's the next update

Friday

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I was joking, this dude is a machine

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He should sleep, maybe!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Allright, allright. Okay.

This is some loving stellar poo poo right here.

Put this poo poo in a pot and slap an old lady face on the label because this is thoroughly my jam.

Holy goddamn.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dead Reckoning posted:

One, it's difficult to describe destruction of your physical body as a sacrifice when you aren't really a fan of it and also have blown it up eighty one times before.

E: Abbadon wrote a whole story where the chief antagonists are seven people who cannot achieve their goals despite godlike power because they keep letting some sort of ego, desire, or fear knock them off track. I feel like he kind of blew that up by letting White Chain both achieve her goals and simultaneously fulfil her ego based desires because he wanted to give her this story beat.

I dunno where you got the idea that Royalty is about being egoless. It is, if anything, the opposite. The other demiurges have let their fears and preoccupations hold them back from grasping that which they truly desire. It's most obviously with Solomon, where his pride in his perfect empire has prevented him from pursuing Royalty directly.

White Chain's desire to forge her own identity was stronger than Solomon's desire to crush her like an insect. His motivation is pure hesitation, just putting off the inevitable and maintaining the status quo. White Chain's will was to cut herself into a new shape, unconstrained by the fears, expectations, and social mores that have held her back for her entire life.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I hope she's happy as hell and has a not particularly difficult adjustment to the whole being alive thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh crap what if gog is gonna congratulate her with a delicious burrito

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The ending that's going to piss us all off is Gog doing nothing is consequence despite this thread spending dozens of pages trying to figure out what she'll do

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

White Chain’s motion lines very clearly go around him, she didn’t punch him at all.

If she did I’ll be pretty disappointed because the whole drat triumph is completely ignoring Solomon’s ideas of power or victory or pragmatism and simply seizing the nonshape and dissolving it. It’s not Cutting because Cutting is for fools who sow only death; it’s still Royal.

Solomon David has to come to terms with a miracle that doesn’t care about his power at all, not to overthrow it or to validate it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ho-ho-holy poo poo this comic

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, she straight up said two pages before this that she doesn't have to win (under his terms) to win (achieve her goal). For her, this fight stopped being about him and his goals awhile ago.

I expect that she has not actually physically cut him and drawn blood. And I also expect that anything he'll attempt to do to her following this will fail, because she's achieved Royalty, while he can only hesitate in chasing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

dave's attack did so much damage that white chain's hp underflowed

SolDave: HAX!