Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Elmnt80 posted:

I do suck at jokes so this tracks. I'll take suggestions on a new title tho!

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

I got stuck on a surprise on-call shift this weekend and could not go fishing. I am very angry about it. That's the whole post.

I suggest "SEGA rear end Fisting - not just a screen name, but a good idea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Y’all are missing out on a perfectly good trolling joke.
The Great Outdoors > Fishing Thread: We're just trolling

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Had a weekend on the upper mid Hudson with absolutely no bites until Sunday when I was ecstatic to have a tiny white perch on the line. But while I was out on the kayak I did see a bald eagle pull a big something out of the water and rip its guts out perched on the branch of a dead tree, so that was cool.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Seeing stuff like that makes getting skunked or doing poorly sting less. Some river otters set up shop in our neighborhood pond, which was cool. They ate all the big fish and left. Less cool.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Seeing stuff like that makes getting skunked or doing poorly sting less. Some river otters set up shop in our neighborhood pond, which was cool. They ate all the big fish and left. Less cool.
I once saw a mama mink teaching a baby mink how to catch trout. I sat back and watched them for half an hour before mama mink saw me and they hid in their burrow. That poo poo is amazing.

Also, one time I fished a stretch of creek with no bites, and heard a splash behind me. I turned around and saw a mink scamper out of the creek with a 6" trout in its mouth. I got outfished by a weasel.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got skunked last year on this lake in the middle of nowhere fishing from a leaky canoe with no seats but we got to see a family of beavers and that was really cool.

The bite is on in Algonquin right now, my bass thumb is so bad I can't unlock my phone.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

prom candy posted:

Got skunked last year on this lake in the middle of nowhere fishing from a leaky canoe with no seats but we got to see a family of beavers and that was really cool.

The bite is on in Algonquin right now, my bass thumb is so bad I can't unlock my phone.

It kills me seeing you out in a hoodie like that.

I was gonna go out on the new yak today, but the wind went from 4mph gusting 10, to 12 and gusting 30. Temp was 93, feeling like 101 and like 75% humidity. Yay.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That smallmouth is gorgeous. The colors on it are just amazing. :swoon:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It was boiling hot for the past month but it finally cooled off just yesterday. Very happy to have cooler temps, especially at night.

Elmnt80 posted:

That smallmouth is gorgeous. The colors on it are just amazing. :swoon:

The fish have just been lookin so good this trip! Here's another one from the other day:

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can lose fewer ned rigs? This lake is absolutely littered with lay downs and I'm going through 2-3 of them a day. One thought I had was Texas rigging the TRD and using a nail weight but I don't know if that'll work as well. Does anyone make offset hook jig heads? Ned rig has been outstanding for me up here but man it's getting expensive.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bought a new fly rod and reel setup and took pictures instead of fishing since there's nowhere worthwhile within "short drive before/after work" distance around here.

Rod is a Sage Sonic 5ft 9wt and the reel is some no-name "Platinum Fly Fishing Colorado" reel. Seems pretty well made for ~$120, CNC aluminum with sealed drag and a nice finish.

The rod casts so much better than my old Orvis Encounter starter package, it's like going from Ford (excluding the GT) to Ferrari.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

It was boiling hot for the past month but it finally cooled off just yesterday. Very happy to have cooler temps, especially at night.

The fish have just been lookin so good this trip! Here's another one from the other day:

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can lose fewer ned rigs? This lake is absolutely littered with lay downs and I'm going through 2-3 of them a day. One thought I had was Texas rigging the TRD and using a nail weight but I don't know if that'll work as well. Does anyone make offset hook jig heads? Ned rig has been outstanding for me up here but man it's getting expensive.

Hella jelly of those beautiful bronze fish. Maybe one day I'll get to go after some chunky smallmouth. :swoon:

Maybe try these for weedless ned heads? https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Block_Head_Offset_Jighead_4pk/descpage-BLO.html
There's a few other offset ned rig heads out there, but they use a much bigger hook or don't have that proper flat head shape to let the baits stand up.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I tried pinching the barbs of the my kids' hooks so I don't kill every fish they catch ripping swallowed hooks out. Turns out that just means that they don't catch any fish!

Also, my eight year old got what looked like a decent size (16-18"?) pike right to the side of the boat before it bit through the line. Kind of cool. I've never caught one.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Elmnt80 posted:

Hella jelly of those beautiful bronze fish. Maybe one day I'll get to go after some chunky smallmouth. :swoon:

Maybe try these for weedless ned heads? https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Block_Head_Offset_Jighead_4pk/descpage-BLO.html
There's a few other offset ned rig heads out there, but they use a much bigger hook or don't have that proper flat head shape to let the baits stand up.

Thanks that looks like exactly what I need!

gvibes posted:

I tried pinching the barbs of the my kids' hooks so I don't kill every fish they catch ripping swallowed hooks out. Turns out that just means that they don't catch any fish!

If you're fishing live bait have you tried circle hooks? I find those (debarbed) are pretty great for drama-free releases.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

prom candy posted:

Reading around online, maybe use smaller and lighter jigheads. As light as possible, then keep them off the bottom. Maybe someone who fishes these more can tell you. From what I read, Smallmouth hit on the drop more than they pick off the bottom, so a slower drop keeps them in strike zone more anyways.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Reading around online, maybe use smaller and lighter jigheads. As light as possible, then keep them off the bottom. Maybe someone who fishes these more can tell you. From what I read, Smallmouth hit on the drop more than they pick off the bottom, so a slower drop keeps them in strike zone more anyways.

I have some of the 1/16th ones and they do get snagged less but still pretty frequently. I tend to get a lot of bites on the drop but I do get lots when bouncing on the bottom too. I've been fishing the whopper plopper a lot because it's like the only lure I have that doesn't get snagged up but I don't get nearly the number of bites that I get from ol ned.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My entrants for the Dickspoon Derby arrived today, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds. Thanks Dude! These will be going with me to Alaska at the end of the week. The goal : Salmon. And Dolly Varden. And whatever else I can get to bite these.

But it just wouldn't do to have them plain silver...

First up is the 20g with a Gamakatsu Assist Hook. The name, Spotted Dick. Second is the 15 gram beauty coated in whatever nail polish I could sneak out of the bathroom without my wife yelling at me. Hooked with an Eagle Claw. Third is the green monster with a mopfly VMC treble. The red dot is not blood, but it could have been with how sharp that drat hook is. My Gamakatsu poo poo is sharp, but that VMC stuff is next level. Lastly we have the 5 gram with a single hook left shiny and chrome. Some of the waters I may be fishing are unbaited single hook, hence why not all have trebles.

As much as I'd love to nail a halibut with these, I think it's unlikely. But I'll probably still try.

Thanks again Kobold!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

prom candy posted:

If you're fishing live bait have you tried circle hooks? I find those (debarbed) are pretty great for drama-free releases.
I'll check them out, thanks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I got some dick lures thanks to this thread. Can't stop chuckling.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

My entrants for the Dickspoon Derby arrived today, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds. Thanks Dude! These will be going with me to Alaska at the end of the week. The goal : Salmon. And Dolly Varden. And whatever else I can get to bite these.

But it just wouldn't do to have them plain silver...

First up is the 20g with a Gamakatsu Assist Hook. The name, Spotted Dick. Second is the 15 gram beauty coated in whatever nail polish I could sneak out of the bathroom without my wife yelling at me. Hooked with an Eagle Claw. Third is the green monster with a mopfly VMC treble. The red dot is not blood, but it could have been with how sharp that drat hook is. My Gamakatsu poo poo is sharp, but that VMC stuff is next level. Lastly we have the 5 gram with a single hook left shiny and chrome. Some of the waters I may be fishing are unbaited single hook, hence why not all have trebles.

As much as I'd love to nail a halibut with these, I think it's unlikely. But I'll probably still try.

Thanks again Kobold!

:tipshat:

Dick 'em and post the pics!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
No joy on after storm fishing, but we honestly didn't really get a storm. Surfers we're happy though. We brought in about twenty five catfish and another baby pompano. So really about the same as before the storm

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The low pressure made the canal very hit or miss this morning. My crew had medium luck but two guys across the way used some sort of sorcery and caught like 7 enormous fish.

we got 1 keeper and are making dinner with it now

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thinking about picking up a dedicated meat hucking rod. Mostly to be used here in CO for streamer fishing, and the occasional garbage trout. In a perfect world I would also be able to take this to the salt flats once my fellow Americans get their collective poo poo together.

Thoughts on a 9’ 7wt? Is this asking too much of a single rig? I’m thinking about a Sage Pulse since I like my 7.5’ 3-wt for creeking, though it’s the ugliest shade of green.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 5, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I have been fishing, I realized, two-six hours a day every day for the last few weeks. I'm sure it's partly a testament to how boring my life has become, but goddamn I'm just the most relaxed I've been since pre-lockdown. I also apparently wore down the skin where I hold the rod from all the casting, but I guess that will heal and be calloused before too long.

Pic doesn't do this lil guy justice, it was a a pretty large trout

Additional

And the stuff getting me there. I love fishing locally, but I also love it as an excuse for a long ride or to do some really stupid driving.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice fish and nice pictures! Did the bald eagle come for your catch?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Thinking about picking up a dedicated meat hucking rod. Mostly to be used here in CO for streamer fishing, and the occasional garbage trout. In a perfect world I would also be able to take this to the salt flats once my fellow Americans get their collective poo poo together.

Thoughts on a 9’ 7wt? Is this asking too much of a single rig? I’m thinking about a Sage Pulse since I like my 7.5’ 3-wt for creeking, though it’s the ugliest shade of green.

I’d recommend a 10’ 7 or 8wt. 6-7 is fantastic for streamers, but garbage/poop trout can get really big and actually fight hard. Maybe go to 7/8wt to be able to muscle stuff? My 6 was fine for 20-22” fish easily, but a really good sized carp might do a number on the rod.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Duck season is fast approaching, so I've been out in my layout boat to scout locations and train my rowing technique. It would be almost criminal to not bring along a rod and some beers and see what's biting.

Nothing, as it turns out, but I was fishing veeeery casually. Doesn't matter much, though - had a couple of wonderful evenings on the bay :)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

prom candy posted:

Where in Algonquin were you?

I'm going to the west side next month, I'll be trying to catch some lake trout there, in addition to the smallies.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jump King posted:

Where in Algonquin were you?

I'm going to the west side next month, I'll be trying to catch some lake trout there, in addition to the smallies.

nice! technically we're just outside of algonquin, on the southwest corner. we can climb a waterfall from our lake into the park though. pretty much only have smallies here but there's some perch coming back too (which has made my perch whopper plopper pretty deadly)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mzuri posted:

Duck season is fast approaching, so I've been out in my layout boat to scout locations and train my rowing technique. It would be almost criminal to not bring along a rod and some beers and see what's biting.

Nothing, as it turns out, but I was fishing veeeery casually. Doesn't matter much, though - had a couple of wonderful evenings on the bay :)

I can 100% get behind that level of lazy fishing. :eyepop:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I ended up just Texas rigging my TRDs the typical way (without pegging the weight) and I still got a ton of bites. The only major difference is the real dinky fish don't seem to get hooked, but when the bigger ones are biting that's fine with me. The only real problem is the bait slides up on the line after every bite, but that's a much smaller problem than getting snagged. I also sent that tackle warehouse link for offset jig heads to my local shop and they've ordered some in for me but while I'm up on the lake here I've only got what I brought.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I posted a bigger verison of this in the TGO hunting thread, but thought people who didn't wander into there might appreciate this bit about trout streams in WI as I've been digging through GIS data for hunting and fishing. I snipped out the non-fish related stuff so stop on by there if you want to see a bit more about Strava heatmaps, public land boundaries and even beer :D

quote:

:effort: post incoming!

Since it's only just barely becoming hunting season in most places, a lot of us are still in scouting mode. Unless you're fortunate enough to live super close to where you hunt, or just hunt the same place(s) over and over again e-scouting to find and analyze new places is the way lots of us do it. Traditionally this has been a combination of Google Earth/Maps, OnXMaps, USGS topo maps, etc. I'm an OSINT nerd both professionally and personally and I really enjoy digging up data and analyzing it - visually in particular if I can.

.....SNIP......

I then set my sights a little closer to home and looked to see what is available in WI. Turns out quite a bit.

Here's national, state and county forests; deer, bear and turkey zones; and trout streams all in one place.

.....SNIP......

Because many of the shapefiles supplied from gov agencies contain a ton of data table attributes within the actual vector paths you can pretty easily manipulate the data. For example, WI offers a trout stream shapefile which shows you all of the trout streams in the state. As you can see two images above, it's just a bunch of blue squiggly lines all over the state. However, within that overall layer each stream section is its own feature and contains a table of data associated with it, including the stream classification (I, II, III) with I being the highest quality streams and III being the least. There's also some cool data in there too about how they classified the stream and when. In the example below they mention having done a Macroinvertebrates IBI package which examines the macroinvertebrates within the water to see how healthy it is.

I filtered each class into its own layer and colored them individually so now you can see exactly which streams are class I, II and III at a glance.

.....SNIP......

I'll be continuing to see what else I can come up with in regards to this type of data, but hopefully it's been interesting and someone might find some value applying it to their own locations they're scouting. If you want me to try and examine something in particular I'd be happy to, just post here or PM me if it's a potential honey hole.

Edit- another great fishing-related resource is the Navionics web portal for water depths: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@6&key=a~ryFr_bqN

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 6, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's amazing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thinking about heading down to a lake close to my house to practice my casting try for bass, perch, and crappie.

Are there water temperature considerations for bass and other lake species? Trout are incredibly fragile at temps over 67° — so I’m just curious if there’s a temperature over which I’d want to stay off the water.

Bonus points for fly recommendations. I haven’t caught a fish that wasn’t a trout in over 30 years.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Thinking about heading down to a lake close to my house to practice my casting try for bass, perch, and crappie.

Are there water temperature considerations for bass and other lake species? Trout are incredibly fragile at temps over 67° — so I’m just curious if there’s a temperature over which I’d want to stay off the water.
Nope. No temperature concerns for cyclids.

quote:

Bonus points for fly recommendations. I haven’t caught a fish that wasn’t a trout in over 30 years.
The wooly bugger is a classic for a reason. You can catch just about anything on one.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Agreed, wooly bugger is my confidence fly, if such a thing exists. I've had panfish, catfish, and bass all on the same black one. Bonus, if you are tying them, they are super easy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Well that was a frustrating trip. I’m going to have to learn how to rig the toy rod my son has. He’s a little young to learn how to fly fish, but old enough that he should be able to pick up more traditional methods.

He has one of those Disney branded rods that has a indicator bobber on it that slips through and let’s the lure hang a foot or so below, but slips down to the lure for casting. He’s able to cast about 20’-30’ if he really gets hold of it. But he also gets bored and so is continually pulling the lure up to the bobber as he reels in. I had a leech tied on, but I think it was too light. I cut the bobber off and tied on a spinning lure of some sort, but we were both terrified he was going to put one of us in the hospital with a missed cast (side note: WTF is up with the world’s stiffest barbs on those triple hooks?)

Anyway, we spent about 30 minutes not catching fish and then he got bored. Bright side, it was 30 minutes outside fishing with my kid.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Good instinct, every kid I've ever fished with has always liked fishing with something you cast, reel in, and repeat. Little mepps agila #2 is a killer for me (I cut one of the hooks off to make releasing waaay easier.)

even as an adult I find bobber fishing a complete snore. If I could sit still I wouldn't need to be fishing in the first place.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I need to vary it up. I'm getting tired of cast and retrieve on Texas rigs. I'm gonna try a ned rigged craw next. Maybe get out some of my actual crank baits that I've never used. I dunno. Texas rigged soft plastics are just getting a bit boring. Might throw on a slip bobber and crappie jig or something.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got any whopper ploppers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a hunting thread? Been wanting to get into hunting and may try deer and duck this year.