Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My daughter is an inch and a half shorter and she fits a crf80 pretty well but she's 10 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

500excf type r posted:

My daughter is an inch and a half shorter and she fits a crf80 pretty well but she's 10 lol

Yeah we're short. I'll shave and recover seats before messing with suspension. I did see that there are spacer kits available for the EXC but they're expensive.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Maybe check out a crf150f or other big wheel smaller engined bikes

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

right arm posted:

EXCs do not have linkage so you'd need to look at a shock collar (which will only get you an inch or so) or into having a professional do the suspension for you

he's definitely not going to grow into it if you're 5'6" so I'd definitely lean towards having a pro lower it for the both of you

We looked into getting a bike lowered for my roomate, professional lowering services are surprisingly cheap, like a few hundred bucks.

Ooooor, just drop the forks in the triple, and carve most of the foam out of the seat :p

KLX140L is a good big small dirtbike choice too.

It's kinda hard to beat the full size MX and XC bikes for weight and suspension setup though, if you're trying to do serious trail riding.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Took the XR for the first proper ride since I started rebuilding. Went and did some of the great forest lanes around here and I was at one point ambushed by knee deep mud and a very slippery hill climb but with new Michelin trackers (very knobbly) and a frankly inappropriate 52t rear it was hilariously easy.

The new rear shock, while adding enough ground clearance to make it a tippy toe bike for a 6'1" rider, was very confidence inspiring and I cannot emphasise enough how much having dialed in tyres and suspension makes the world of difference.

Damage report: Number plate blew off (again) and my recently welded back together (poorly by me) GPR exhaust burst open (again). Going to buy a cheap knock off exhaust for a fraction of the price, in the hope that it lasts for a slightly larger fraction of the time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Went camping to Bumping Lake this past weekend and took the KTM along. I went on a couple of trail rides with my wife in the Jeep following.
First trail was up to Granite Lake Campground and it was kind of rough in places. Second trail/FR was up to Copper City (only to the collapsed mill).
It went pretty great. I didn't crash or drop the bike, I got to practice very low speed handling following some horse trailer caravans, and the seat height seems to be mostly fine for me.

Bonus pic at Granite Lake for height reference. I'm short.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sounds and looks like a good time!

Should be getting some new bars delivered today, trying to raise the controls on the bike so it's a little less awkward standing up.

Some friends and I are looking to do an overlanding + dirt bike trip in Washington later this summer, any route recommendations? Will be a mix of lefted but daily driver jeeps, 250s and a 650 or two.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Sounds and looks like a good time!

Should be getting some new bars delivered today, trying to raise the controls on the bike so it's a little less awkward standing up.

Some friends and I are looking to do an overlanding + dirt bike trip in Washington later this summer, any route recommendations? Will be a mix of lefted but daily driver jeeps, 250s and a 650 or two.

I've been eyeballing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route for that same thing. There's a few good youTube videos on it, too. The vast majority of the route seems like easy forest roads.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BDRs are very fun and the WABDR is a very good one. like TLB said, lots of videos on youtube so you can gauge in advance what you think you / the jeeps can handle

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Went camping to Bumping Lake this past weekend and took the KTM along. I went on a couple of trail rides with my wife in the Jeep following.
First trail was up to Granite Lake Campground and it was kind of rough in places. Second trail/FR was up to Copper City (only to the collapsed mill).
It went pretty great. I didn't crash or drop the bike, I got to practice very low speed handling following some horse trailer caravans, and the seat height seems to be mostly fine for me.

Bonus pic at Granite Lake for height reference. I'm short.

My roomates were up near you, if you saw an ancient YZ125 with. 5'2" rider, you probably saw a bike that I rebuilt the engine on.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Did a 60ish mile loop around Salisbury yesterday. Lovely weather, great lane.

Bike was running like crap most of the day. Didn't think much of it, thought it was fuel line routing or the heat and my jetting out of whack.

On the way home I opened up the airbox to see if something had got in and I could see daylight through the other side. Explains the running rough.

Anyone used a construction adhesive to fix plastic before?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The super fancy high-end construction adhesives are supposed to bond pretty well to plastics, I've always used epoxy though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
3M 5200 bonds just about anything to anything. However, it takes ~7 days to cure/dry.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I didn't check what year it was, but the neighbor (that's maybe 5'6") that doesn't know how to ride and has never ridden at all just bought a YZ-250. He was in the back alley trying to start it and I asked him if I could give it a go and it started on the first kick. I warned him to start it in neutral and the clutch must be hilariously mis-adjusted cuz when he threw it in gear after I walked away, even with the clutch all the way in, the bike was dragging him forward.

I asked if he wanted advice and or to get the clutch adjusted and he said that it was fine...I actually did buy some popcorn today, I wanna find out how long it'll take him to loop it or it getting away from him when he starts it in gear.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Why is getting handguards on such a lovely process?

My cycera guards just don't want to line up with the bar clamps and not interfere with either the top triple or the headlight assembly. I've got protaper bars, I assume the guards would work with a normal bend but no.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

My cycera guards just don't want to line up with the bar clamps and not interfere with either the top triple or the headlight assembly. I've got protaper bars, I assume the guards would work with a normal bend but no.

cause there are a billion different bar bends and levers

there are lots of options for different types of clamps out there so I’d just buy off amazon / revzilla til you find the one that works since their returns are easy

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cycra and Protaper (assuming you bought the right set of Cycras) are a relatively good fit too, much better than cheapo universal's.

The only ones that mount up really good are the $500 ones that are brand specific and mount all weird to the triple or whatever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took my DRZ out in the woods for a bit yesterday, just trying to practice some basic skills. Wheelies finally clicked with me after realizing that I was just dropping my rear end down instead of back.

Any of you shorter people have tips for u-turns/donuts? I was practicing those as well, but almost dumped the bike a couple times when the muscle on the outside of my hip tightened up. Do I just suck?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

right arm posted:

cause there are a billion different bar bends and levers

there are lots of options for different types of clamps out there so I’d just buy off amazon / revzilla til you find the one that works since their returns are easy

Do you know of any sites where people post compatability? I have ProTaper KX High bars, would like to avoid wack-a-mole with clamps. The cycera CRM clamps do not fit, not sure if I should try the u-clamps or something like this next:
https://www.motosport.com/product/?...C000L-X001-Y002

Thoughts?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you have a bench vise? I got mine to fit my WR perfectly but it required the slightest bit of bending. Most guys I know usually resort to some modification to get them to fit perfectly. So long as your not heating them up and going slowly, you should be fine. They're surprisingly strong.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you know of any sites where people post compatability? I have ProTaper KX High bars, would like to avoid wack-a-mole with clamps. The cycera CRM clamps do not fit, not sure if I should try the u-clamps or something like this next:
https://www.motosport.com/product/?...C000L-X001-Y002

Thoughts?

I have no idea honestly as I’ve only run CRMs on my 1290 and my CRFs which I ran with renthals in a carmichael bend which is zero help. might try advrider as I am sure someone has put them on their kawi before

you have any pics of how they’re not fitting? I have to run spacers on the ones on my 1290 since they have to clear the bigger radial master cylinder

e: above is also a good suggestion depending on how they’re not fitting

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So the Tao Tao bike I ordered on Amazon got lost in shipping (?) and the seller refunded me. After spending more time on Facebook marketplace and getting frustrated with people, I ordered a Segway X160/SurRon electric bike instead. Seat height and power level seem ideal for my teenagers to learn on.
I'll update when I get the bike.

Also I rode a bunch in the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest west of Mt Adams this past weekend.

Bonus: Some dude getting stuck on a rock. According to the camp host, this happens frequently.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

So the Tao Tao bike I ordered on Amazon got lost in shipping (?) and the seller refunded me. After spending more time on Facebook marketplace and getting frustrated with people, I ordered a Segway X160/SurRon electric bike instead. Seat height and power level seem ideal for my teenagers to learn on. I'll update when I get the bike.

As someone with a real dirtbike, I would love to hear your opinion on the RunRon. I've heard cool things about them. I've considered an electric bike of some sort for my yard to not upset neighbors. Thinking electric trials could be real fun.
Sucks about the Tao Tao, at least you got your money back. I can't even begin to fathom trying to buy a bike right now, especially on the used market. People are asking insane prices for their piles of poo poo, and many are getting it.

also ... lol

TotalLossBrain posted:

Bonus: Some dude getting stuck on a rock. According to the camp host, this happens frequently.

I have so many questions.

"Yeah this happens a lot" ... but does nothing to keep it from happening. I wonder how many people have punctured an oil pan on that thing. (also thinking that SUV is probably all wheel drive right?)

I was just backpacking north of Mt Adams in Goat Rocks last week. Man, I need to get out riding. I've been busy with other stuff lately and haven't got out. I replaced my tires and was waiting to adjust my valves before I got out riding again (which is all done). I need more riding buddies as my riding partner is always busy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Verman posted:

As someone with a real dirtbike, I would love to hear your opinion on the RunRon. I've heard cool things about them. I've considered an electric bike of some sort for my yard to not upset neighbors. Thinking electric trials could be real fun.
Sucks about the Tao Tao, at least you got your money back. I can't even begin to fathom trying to buy a bike right now, especially on the used market. People are asking insane prices for their piles of poo poo, and many are getting it.

the Sur Rons are okay if you’ve never ridden a dirt bike before. if you have they’re kinda lovely. forks suck, frame is uhh flexy, and their range and usage estimations are optimistic at best

I’ve hosed around on them a bit and while they’re cool, I wouldn’t spend $4k on one as that’ll get you a decent dirt bike. I’d wait til the major manufacturers build something worthwhile

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A little maintenance update on my 2000 KTM EXC. Because I'm a horrible dumbass, it fell off the trailer this past weekend. Thankfully this happened at walking speed on a dirt road. Steering got a little misaligned, the front light stopped working, and the plastics up front got a crack.

While dissembling things at home, I also found the FMF Fatty chamber cracked in two places. I had heard/felt a weird clattering vibration at certain low RPMs so that was probably it.

Not sure what to do about the crack yet. I hope to find a local welder but have no idea where to start looking. I ordered a newchamber from Revzilla in the meantime. Coming from Jetski aftermarket parts, $233 shipped for a complete pipe seemed ridiculously cheap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is that Stainless? If you're in the Seattle area I have a TIG welder.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you're in atlanta i got some jb weld and a 6 pack

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah it looks to be stainless. I am in Eastern WA. So anyone capable with a TIG welder should be able to do this?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, drill the ends of the crack, chamfer the edges, clean it and drop a line of filler rod in.

MIG would work too, if they've got the right gas, I mean you could use stick too, but it'd be a royal pain in the rear end with how thin that exhaust is.

Local muffler shop might be able to hook you up for cheap, they should be set up for SS MIG, and actually good at welding.

If you're ever West of the mountains I'll do it for a six pack.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Back on the bike for the first time since I busted my foot, taking rocks and stumps on the still kinda hosed up foot still hurts, but the weather was perfect, and in general :feelsgood:

And riding means I get to stop at my favorite taco truck!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks like a nice day out!
I'll be near Greenwater tomorrow to run the Naches Pass Trail (with a Jeep though).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nice, if you see a jeep hauling a trailer full of dirtbikes say hi to my roomates and throw your exhaust in the back of the Jeep :cheeky:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Man I want to go riding this weekend but all my buddies are busy.

I put new tires months ago and adjusted my valves last week and haven't ridden since.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Thursday: Took my husqvarna 350 out into the mountains and it died on me at the very furthest point I could be on that trail, I walked back 10+ miles in 90+ degree heat in my compression shorts and tech 8 booties after stashing my gear in the woods.
Friday: Took my friends husqvarna 250 to go get all the gear loaded down on my 350 because I was doing a simple shakedown ride to make sure everything was all good to go for a multi day trip. transferred the gear but then the bike died and wouldn't kick over or bump. got towed out by a hunter, put it on a charger for the night thinking it's just a poo poo battery.
Saturday: Me, my friend, and his friend go out on the 250 again and his friend's Zero FX which I nut2butted without passenger pegs on all the way to my 350 with tools to try to fix it. 250 dies again. I fix my 350 by bringing a gas can, transferring the gas out of the tank, pulling the fuel pump, and recrimping a hose I thought I crimped good already. bike fires right up. I'm on my way out. Zero starts towing the 250 while I'm slowly following. my bike wont start. I have to do the whole process over again with an even tighter crimp. I pass the now abandoned 250 and meet up with them doubled up on the Zero and we all leave because it's way too hot.
Today: Take the battery out of my 350, ride a much comfier GS with big blocks on it sketchily two up, with the moral support of the Zero FX back to the 250, swap batteries, and I ride it like hell back out of there before it dies because the charging system is toast on it. everyone gets home.

I just paid back all the good motorcycle luck debt I had been accruing over the past decade+ of riding. Lol husqvarnas

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Jesus that sounds awful. At least there were no injuries? I just accidently watched an Instagram video of a guy getting his boot/ankle speared by a downed branch.

I really wanted to ride this weekend but my buddies were busy and thankfully so because the heat would have been painful. It was near 100 in Seattle today. The thought of wearing a helmet and gear while riding a hot bike in 100 degree weather sounds brutal.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

part of my shakedown was weighing down with over a gallon of water and I think that's what saved me on the first day. bring hella water always

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

So the Tao Tao bike I ordered on Amazon got lost in shipping (?) and the seller refunded me. After spending more time on Facebook marketplace and getting frustrated with people, I ordered a Segway X160/SurRon electric bike instead. Seat height and power level seem ideal for my teenagers to learn on.
I'll update when I get the bike.

Update: Amazon hosed up again! The Segway X160 arrived today with some minor exterior damage on the box. A bolt fell out of the box when I moved it.
Once opened, I found that the battery had been removed from its own box and installed in the bike. Consequently, the battery cover was smashed in half. The front axle uses wheel spacers/bushings called "axle plugs". They have an o-ring to seal to the hub surface on the wheel.
One of those was missing, making the bike useless.

I packed it back up, UPS is picking it up tomorrow.

Back to the drawing board, looking at local used bikes again. Some more reasonable deals out there now.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 19, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I finally got my handguards on, but I can't believe that Cycera is taken seriously as a brand:

- included flat head bolts bottomed out on the unthreaded part of the bolt before they tightened against the guards
- plastic guards are attached to aluminum rails via self tapping machine screws instead of tapping the holes correctly
- didn't include all the washers needed
- guards are counter sunk for a flathead at the clamps, clamps and guards only came with bolts to mate against flat surfaces
- plastic guards don't match the aluminum bars, don't overlap between guards and 'grinders' and don't tighten flat to the bars.

A friend bought like $40 dollar amazon handguards and the fit and finish is honestly way nicer than the Cyceras. And I got the guards from revzilla so I'd be surprised if they knockoffs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's weird, I love my Cycras after years of cheap guards.

Stuff like the screws being self tapping and suboptimal plastic molding are consequences of being manufactured in the US I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

That's weird, I love my Cycras after years of cheap guards.

Stuff like the screws being self tapping and suboptimal plastic molding are consequences of being manufactured in the US I think.

the older CRMs are a bit primitive as it was all machine bent aluminum and no CNC. also an older design from the early 2000s iirc. the newer ultra CRMs are fantastic imho. I replaced my KTM powerparts CRMs with some ultras and the fit and finish is far better. the rails are now CNC'd and use replaceable inserts to fit the screws that mount the plastic handguards which also have removeable shields to allow them to vent in the summer