Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Trying to find the internet archives of the DIY instructions.

The first slashdot link I find is April of 2002

"Water meets your processor. Foss writes "You may remember this story about the dodgy-yet-extremely-cheap DIY water cooling block. Well, thanks to all your emails, Rob's getting better. It's still extremely cheap (under £10), but it's now pretty stable too, running a P3 933@1.1GHz for a few hours at a very stable 28 degrees. No dental floss this time round either!""

Edit: here is an article from the guy's second revision of the water block https://web.archive.org/web/20020608032736/http://www.eimod.com/liquid/rob/wc_2_ok/index.shtml (wayback machine is being very slow atm so I can't find a version of the page that has the best part - the pictures)

--

Trying to find the original DIY guide on wayback machine.. I found this dutch forum where a guy discusses his own DIY effort:

Translated comment in reaction to the article:
"
Plate copper taken from the hardware store (old junk). Sawed and soldered (was very difficult because the seams were not straight, }:Othe remaining leaks were sealed with superglue! : 7
Then soldered the connection pieces (90 degrees corners for +/- 13mm copper tube).
Soldering was done with standard tin and gas burner.

Result: good cooling ( comparable to such an Alpha cooler back then, with room temperature water) (celeron 366 @ 633 stable, for the people who say something else :) )

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I believe the hotness these days if you're wanting to build a stupid loop w/ powered cooling is to use an aquarium chiller.

But never do that.

Noctua D15s Army.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1290260135227662339

We are so into the stock dumping phase.

e: those are huge discounts. Does that historically tell us anything about what to expect from the price/performance of the next gen?

e2: oh it's more that they made the alienware r3 laptop 30c cooler. Yeah don't buy one of those.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 3, 2020

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Don't get the Area 51m; I got one when these sales first started and the heatsink was warped from the factory. I don't have it anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Alchenar posted:

Oh poo poo I feel seen about to enter stage 3 (I'm willing to spend a bit of extra money to play with this toy).

Intellectually I know that water cooling is just a good air cooling setup with an unnecessary intermediate stage.

Skip it and go straight to oil-submerged.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Forget oil; go with one of those newfangled 3m novec based solutions. It's only like $10000 a liter or something...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Carecat posted:

drat, wish 3rd party cards came like that. I don't think most people are lacking for slot clearance and a beefier heatsinks and two decent fans can't cost a lot more than current triple fan solutions.

For what it's worth, some people have reported good results wrt acoustic efficiency just pulling off the shroud and fans on aib cards and ziptying a12x25s to the heatsink it came with, which is a slightly cheaper option to something like the morpheus. Probably more approachable as well.

If the card has the right fan header, they make adapters that let you run straight from the card. Otherwise you can run the fans from the mobo and use something like argus to make a fan curve based on GPU temp.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Trying to find the internet archives of the DIY instructions.

The first slashdot link I find is April of 2002

I remember a friend and I were sketching out a peltier cooler with a water cooling loop in the late 90s, water cooling was definitely a thing back then. It was just way uglier.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DOOMocrat posted:

I believe the hotness these days if you're wanting to build a stupid loop w/ powered cooling is to use an aquarium chiller.

But never do that.

Noctua D15s Army.

D15s / Morpheus 2 / itx cru checking in

E - ya I was posting on futuremark forums in 2001, and ppl were water-cooling with Delta fans and car radiators, etc

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 3, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've been wondering about car radiators for computers lately, how did that work out?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Isn't there a process where the entire system is submerged in liquid but it's a special liquid that electronics can run in without shorting out
I've seen it before but I can't remember what it's called

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKIZPuepl8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Goon posted:

I've been wondering about car radiators for computers lately, how did that work out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJUJWtVbEys

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Some Goon posted:

Futuremark forums are gone now, but I bet there's build logs on xtremesystems.org.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

DOOMocrat posted:

Don't get the Area 51m; I got one when these sales first started and the heatsink was warped from the factory. I don't have it anymore.
They've always been that way. I worked at Alienware many, many moons ago and at one point I was given a 51m as a desktop replacement while mine was getting something fixed. That fucker got so goddamned hot no matter what you were doing.

Does appear that we're barrelling forward at full steam to the announcement happening very soon.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Still waiting for Der8auer's phase-change prototype to make it to product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAUnl37Cr8

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

You guys might enjoy this

https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcast/special-edition-sapphire-technologies-talks-all-things/id1113193062?i=1000486429573

https://soundcloud.com/thefullnerd/special-edition-sapphire-technologies-talks-all-things-gpu-and-pc-gaming

Join The Full Nerd gang as they talk about the latest PC hardware topics. In today's special episode we talk with Sapphire Technologies Ed Crisler about designing graphics cards, GPU thermal constraints, horrible PC game box art, and so much more including your questions!

They very early discuss the purpose of Founders Edition GPUs, and from there on that episode got me with new insights and interesting discussions about enthusiasts vs casual gamer GPU needs etc.

:eyepop: -dat sidestep on the AMD driver question tho

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't there a process where the entire system is submerged in liquid but it's a special liquid that electronics can run in without shorting out
I've seen it before but I can't remember what it's called

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKIZPuepl8

It has been done with mineral oil. Specifically Crystal Plus Tech Grade Mineral Oil 70T. The setup in that video is something else though and a more elaborate system.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

You have to be real careful, because depending on the formulation mineral oil can very much eat away at polymers. But this specific stuff seems to have worked well for years.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 3, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some Goon posted:

I think the OG watercooling radiators were mostly heater cores.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Most of the submerged builds in aquariums etc were done in a day and time when the bottleneck wasn't in the TIM of your CPU but rather in the system's ability to get the heat off the spreader. I think we aren't seeing submerged gimmick builds anymore because we're now easily able to clear heat from the spreader into the mass of the cooler (liquid or metal mass) and the limit is how quickly heat can get through the TIM to the spreader itself.

Interesting fact, yes you generally would use mineral oil for this but in a perfect world you could use distilled water and be okay because it's the electrolytes in water that make it conduct electricity. In practice it's basically impossible to keep your distilled water from accumulating other poo poo and you'd almost immediately have problems.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So last week during the discussion of power consumption of a card, I was having comedy thoughts about how in the future the GPU might be an entirely stand-alone unit half the size of your tower that you need to plug in via several PCI Express ribbon cables. (Separate unit in order to both handle the power and cooling needed). Also that in the future you'd have to plug the CPU and GPU in on different circuits because of the power draw.

This week, I'm having comedy thoughts of how in the future gaming enthusiasts will be burying hundreds of feet of PEX tubing 6' deep in the yard and buying distilled water by the 55 gallon drum to loop through the computer. Waterblocks the size of air coolers today just to accommodate the half-inch tubing connectors and whatever gpm flow rate half-inch tubing can do comfortably.

It's absolutely insane, and I love it. I strongly desire this high-compute future :allears:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The new version of this uses 3m novec. It has a low boiling point so you get to take advantage of phase change. It also doesn't stay on everything forever like mineral oil; stuff is disgusting.

It's just real, real expensive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Asking probably only hypothetically: what's the best gpu for under a hundred bucks?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A used RX 580. Prices have gone up a bit but some are still selling for <$100.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

1050ti

edit: hm yea 580 trounces it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Buying used is generally safe?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I know a lot of people tend to ask for the warranty along with the card
A lot of used GPUs flooded the market especially after the bitcoin mining craze died down, and generally it's been ok. Remember these were cards used to within an inch of their lives, and on the whole people had a good experience buying them

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Modern Nvidia GPUs are almost indestructible. AMD GPUs not quite so much, but it's still very hard to hurt them. There was a bit of an issue for a while where buying an RX 480 or 580 might get you a GPU used for mining, which would sometimes come with a hacked bios to lower power usage, and it could be a pain to find the right BIOS to flash it back to normal, but that hasn't been a real concern for about 2 years now.

In general, GPUs are the safest thing to buy used. Ebay has way over the top buyer-friendly policies, and if you're buying on craigslist, if you can pick up from the seller's house you know where they live and they are unlikely to be willing to risk pissing you off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That Zotac refurb store that was linked in this thread some weeks ago currently has a $99 1050 Ti if you want something from a manufacturer rather than ebay (only a 90-day warranty):

https://store.zotac.com/refurbished/graphics-cards

Their stock changes periodically. They were selling 2080s (non-Super non-Ti) for $440 last week.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

Anecdotally the natural progression of PC builds is cheap air cooling -> good air cooling -> watercooling soft or aio -> hard tubing -> good air cooling

I've gone through the first three stages of grief cooling in the span of six months.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Modern AIO is so good and the bottleneck is getting the heat to the spreader... I can't imagine doing a custom loop for anything but aesthetics at this point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What games make the best use of RTX right now? Control still the best?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

What games make the best use of RTX right now? Control still the best?
Whichever the latest Metro is, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7d-3Dprio

Control used to be worse for performance reasons, but now you probably want to consider it instead since it has DLSS 2.0, and I don't think Metro is getting it any time soon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Minecraft RTX is worth a look as well

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hooking onto the water cooling chat for a bit:
I've always considered water cooling a weird idea for non-extreme OC setups.

If you don't care for the looks of a custom loop and just want a silent system, what advantage does an AIO have over a decent air cooler? As far as I can tell, the air cooler is gonna be cheaper and you don't have a pump that can make noise and also still the fan for the radiator.

Cooling efficiency might be a bit higher and space constraints could be a factor, but if you've got a good enough airflow and enough room, are there really any advantages to water cooling that justify the higher cost?
Especially if you consider that AIOs can apparently lose liquid to permeation and could stop working properly after 5 or so years? If a fan goes bad on an air cooler, that's a lot easier and cheaper to replace.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ufarn posted:

Whichever the latest Metro is, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7d-3Dprio

Control used to be worse for performance reasons, but now you probably want to consider it instead since it has DLSS 2.0, and I don't think Metro is getting it any time soon.

Metro was pretty but I'd say the plot and gameplay was lackluster (calling it "open world" felt like a stretch to me), and I ran into what is apparently a common bug where you lose your character's model and nothing will bring it back. I contacted their support and it was pretty much a "try turning it off and turning it back on again" response which did nothing, and I ended up having to play the last third or so of the game as the invisible man.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would only buy it on sale and wouldn't have real high expectations from it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Geemer posted:

If you don't care for the looks of a custom loop and just want a silent system, what advantage does an AIO have over a decent air cooler? As far as I can tell, the air cooler is gonna be cheaper and you don't have a pump that can make noise and also still the fan for the radiator.

Cooling efficiency might be a bit higher and space constraints could be a factor, but if you've got a good enough airflow and enough room, are there really any advantages to water cooling that justify the higher cost?
Especially if you consider that AIOs can apparently lose liquid to permeation and could stop working properly after 5 or so years? If a fan goes bad on an air cooler, that's a lot easier and cheaper to replace.

No real advantages unless you've got a lapped CPU with liquid metal putting a lot of heat right to the heat spreader.

I'm always surprised that nobody makes a CPU block that interfaces the cooling fluid directly to the spreader. You'd think you could get a good seal and it would work so much better you'd think.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Geemer posted:

The pump noise thing is very hit or miss. Some people get ones that are noticeably audible and it drives them nuts. I've had three so far and all of them are functionally silent from more than ~6" away. Yes, there's still a fan involved, but a 140mm fan at 300-500RPM is considerably quieter than a pair/trio of ~90mm fans at 3000+ RPM. I mean, don't get me wrong, a decent 3-slot air cooler does its job well and most of them don't sound like jet engines these days, but I literally can't tell the difference between my computer at idle vs at 100% load, because there's no fan spin-up needed whatsoever.

As far as cheaper...sometimes. You can get a decent AIO for $60-$80, A G12 bracket for $20, so like $100 total. Most AIB's have "baseline" cards with lovely coolers for $60-$100 less than their better cards with the upgraded coolers that actually work well while staying reasonably quiet. And since you can (usually) transport that AIO+G12 from card to card, if you're the type to buy each new generation it'll end up being cheaper overall when you buy the second card. Hell, even straight from the factory EVGA's AIO card only costs $10-$20 more than their FTW3 versions, which are the "best" air cooled ones in their lineup.

I'll agree that going full-custom is far more expensive, a pain to deal with when upgrading, and mostly is just to look cool (which it does, and is a totally valid reason for doing it if that's what you like). But AIO's on GPUs actually make a ton of sense.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

VelociBacon posted:

No real advantages unless you've got a lapped CPU with liquid metal putting a lot of heat right to the heat spreader.

I'm always surprised that nobody makes a CPU block that interfaces the cooling fluid directly to the spreader. You'd think you could get a good seal and it would work so much better you'd think.
For my 9900k (which is soldered to the spreader) the thermal bottleneck is the heat spreader itself. The die on a 9900k is relatively thick which also contributes to the problem, the solder is very thin, and then the heat spreader is very thick which is why they are still very hot CPUs. At this point basically anything between the transistors and the cold plate is a thermal bottleneck, and 10nm/7nm/etc are going to be even worse. We are simply reaching the thermal/mechanical limits of existing packaging technology. Getting rid of the heat spreader and going back to direct die cooling will probably buy one node shrinks worth of time before it will take something like a water jet with reasonably high pressure shooting right in to a microfin heatsink etched onto the top of the die itself in order to adequately cool something with its absurd power density.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a 9900k also and I thought everyone was saying the solder was too thick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

VelociBacon posted:

That's essentially what this does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4O_Dq3xRJA. I'm not sure if the guy ever managed to get into actual production, though.