Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Nier Automata has a bunch of ui shenanigans.

So your character is an android, and you can slot in different upgrade chips for gameplay bonuses. However you can also add or remove various hud elements. Also, you can pop out your cpu and instantly die.

There's certain enemies/story elements that hack/corrupt and will knock out various hud or even combat capabilities.

And the big one, involving 9S' hacking. His hacking ability puts you in a sort of top-down/isometric shmup. Endgame/final boss stuff: if you hack A2, another playable character, in the final fight, it turns out you're navigating a 3-d version of her menus

The only nitpick I have for that is that I just wish

that you could uninstall her os chip, making that fight be the payoff for the weird OS Chip Suicide mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

Didn't one of the DS Zeldas allow you to use the touchscreen to write notes on the map? It's not like you even need touchscreens for that, any game with a map could give the player a keyboard to use.

Yeah Phantom Hourglass and the dumb train one whose name I forget let you do that, that was the best quality of life upgrade ever and I don't know why every subsequent game hasn't incorporated it somehow.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

citybeatnik posted:

Alright i'll show my stupidity here since this has been bothering me for a while - wtf is the thread title referencing?

Iirc it's a warframe thing were you got infected with some cancer thing and could put a cyst into a machine to create a pet from it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

citybeatnik posted:

Alright i'll show my stupidity here since this has been bothering me for a while - wtf is the thread title referencing?

I think it had something to do with pets in Warframe, although I've never played Warframe so I'm not familiar with the details.

e:f,b

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

citybeatnik posted:

In Warframe, you have a machine that makes dogs, and your suit can also get infected and develop a cyst. You can have the cyst lanced to produce goo, and put the goo in the dog machine to make a weird mutant dog.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The process has changed a bit but this is the gist of it. Now you have a dedicated surgical chair which grabs your head and stabs the cyst to drain it in messy detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPhHuxT98s

There is a whole genetic imprint system you can use to make different alien dog/cat breeds, with varied patterns and appearance. There was also a fun bug in the past which let you mix a dog and a cat with weird results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYJYGhHQVM

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I am not citybeatnik, but since he was braver to ask than I am: Thank you for the explanation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
warframe is a really cool, really weird game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of GTA V, that game's got another fun UI thing I liked. Each of the characters has a different cell phone which represents their personality and status.

Franklin has a middle of the road Samsung style phone, Michael has a luxury iPhone, and Trevor has a durable Windows phone with a crack in the screen.

River City Girls does something similar with the phone menus, though I can't find a screenshot right now. Kyoko's phone has a cutesy case and decorations, while Misako's is plain black with a cracked screen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

In Warframe, you have a machine that makes dogs, and your suit can also get infected and develop a cyst. You can have the cyst lanced to produce goo, and put the goo in the dog machine to make a weird mutant dog.

Huh, back when I played you got dogs by destroying dog hives until one dropped a dog egg.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's still the case, but you have to put the dog egg in the dog machine too.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Ghost of Tsushima has another great feature for a game with a bunch of collectables - from the map, you can select a type of collectable (some types need to be unlocked with skills) and it'll switch you into your item-detecting outfit, and draw a line on the map to the nearest collectable of the selected type.

(could be a secret feature of the fully upgraded detecting outfit, since I didn't notice the option until I'd already upgraded it)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that really feels like late/postgame assistance for 100%ers

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No that's specifically the purpose of that armor. It increases the radius at which you clear the fog of war, vibrates if you get near collectible artifacts, and comes with the wind guidance feature for collectible items. You get the armor really early, and the upgrades increase the vibration range and the radius of how much fog of war you clear. The wind guidance to collectibles is always built in, but you have to select it so if you set your own pins to map locations or if you track quests it doesn't show up.

Guiding wind towards "map completion" locations (like hot springs or bamboo stands) has to be bought with technique points and isn't tied to the armor.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think the armor unlocks only apply to cosmetics and collectibles, the skill point ones actually have gameplay effects.

Though “chill out and hunt down flowers for a while” is kind of a gameplay effect I guess.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dewgy posted:

I think the armor unlocks only apply to cosmetics and collectibles, the skill point ones actually have gameplay effects.

Though “chill out and hunt down flowers for a while” is kind of a gameplay effect I guess.

There's five exploration detection techniques to unlock; but it's only for stuff that would appear on your map regularly.

For artefacts, records, and banners, you need the Traveller's set to be guided to them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that in Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy gets annoyed that her boots are wet after she's immersed in water.. Always thought video game characters are too blase about being soaking wet and fully clothed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

I like that in Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy gets annoyed that her boots are wet after she's immersed in water.. Always thought video game characters are too blase about being soaking wet and fully clothed.

That was one of my favorite lines in the Resident Evil 3 remake; Jill goes onto the sewer and has to slide down a ledge of poo water to continue. She gets back up and just groans, saying, "That's it, I'm burning these clothes."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

That was one of my favorite lines in the Resident Evil 3 remake; Jill goes onto the sewer and has to slide down a ledge of poo water to continue. She gets back up and just groans, saying, "That's it, I'm burning these clothes."

That made me laugh too, I just wish they'd doubled down on it and had everyone nearby visibly recoiling from her visible stink aura after that point. We have the technology!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tifa in FF7 Remake is constantly talking about how combat works up a good sweat and she would kill for a shower to the point where it's a little excessive

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Tifa in FF7 Remake is constantly talking about how combat works up a good sweat and she would kill for a shower to the point where it's a little excessive

I think it's because she's disturbed by the lengths she has started going to by working with Avalanche, and how she feels like she's going too far, as well as how quickly things seemed to spiral out of control, so she's trying to keep her mind off of these things, by focusing on smaller issues she knows how to fix and work through.

Or something. I can't remember exactly what she said about that, and I might just be filling in the gaps with my own thoughts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what you're saying is Tifa griping about being sweaty is the new "out, damned spot"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any Tifa sweat experts wanna weigh in on this one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doing a chemical analysis of Tifa's sweat as we speak

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Any Tifa sweat experts wanna weigh in on this one.

I did my thesis on Tali from Mass Effect, sorry.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress, what did I do

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CJacobs posted:

Are you complaining?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tifa's the one who fights with her fists iirc, and doesn't have magic, guns or genetic enhancement like everyone else, not surprising she'd be complaining the most about exertion since she has the most physically demanding fighting style.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Well, wiki says that the buster sword would weigh around 47kg and cloud waves that around like a feather duster.

E: and a random Google says cloud himself weighs 63kg. Hmmmm.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Why does Tifa constantly talking about showering, is it to pander to the player's sexual fantasies? Actually no, it's purely because of her reliance on physical combat techniques. In this essay

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm only about halfway through the game but I haven't noticed Tifa talk about showers at all yet.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Honestly, it just sounds like they're continuing a trend from FFXV, where Prompto would start telling you how sticky he is before gleefully shouting 'bathtime!'

Someone at Square just REALLY loves their shower, I guess?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Goons Surprised By People Who Enjoy Bathing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was gonna say that there's nothing more satisfying than getting properly dirty and then getting clean, but yeah

Phobophilia posted:

Goons Surprised By People Who Enjoy Bathing

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

And thus begins the great shower derail of 2020, in which goons are once again confused by the concept of hygiene

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

*pulls pin on grenade marked "I only soap my pits and my nethers. The falling water covers the rest"* I swear to god I'll do it you sons of bitches

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
hey guys, what do you think tifas sweat smells like, lol, im just curious, lol, would she be embarrassed if you could smell it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

And thus begins the great shower derail of 2020, in which goons are once again confused by the concept of hygiene

My posts aren't that bad

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

So what you're saying is Tifa griping about being sweaty is the new "out, damned spot"

SHION, I NEED TO BE CLEANED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and while it's a bit of a stereotype, Tifa's a girl who's also athletic while Cloud is the corporate-military version of washout Private McBumpkin who's trying to be Commander Badass, makes sense that he's less concerned about personal hygiene in comparison. (the GiP idiots thread could tell you some stories)

Goons trying to make fun of people with fetishes manage to be weirder and more tedious about it than the people with the actual fetishes