Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do Primaris marines have bigger heads (without helmet) than regular marines? I am looking to find and order some female heads for a few of my Primaris guys and I want to make sure I get a size that fits. I am looking at some that are compatible with smol marines, but I am not sure if they would look correct on Primaris.

I haven't seen any problem with the swaps I've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do Primaris marines have bigger heads (without helmet) than regular marines? I am looking to find and order some female heads for a few of my Primaris guys and I want to make sure I get a size that fits. I am looking at some that are compatible with smol marines, but I am not sure if they would look correct on Primaris.

In the fluff they have little baby heads but laughing at them is heresy =(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Heads and shoulders are interchangeable so you're good to go

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GReat, thanks for the answers! That will certainly make things easier. Although it seems odd that they would have the same head size. Are Primaris just more proportionally correct and regular marines have big noggins, or do Primaris marines have small heads?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Primaris were invented so that GW could make new sculpts for Marines that didn't look like hot garbage while allowing decades of armies to still be "playable" so it's the former

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, I see, that makes sense. Are Primaris more powerful/higher point cost than standard marines?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ok, I see, that makes sense. Are Primaris more powerful/higher point cost than standard marines?

Yes and yes. Primaris marines tend to have an extra wound and also one more attack. They also have access to superior equipment. Their standard Boltgun, called a Bolt Rifle, has longer range (30” up from 24”) and -1 AP as standard.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 3, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I didn't have any primaris till indomitus came out and the difference between the older marines is really jarring lol

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't have any primaris till indomitus came out and the difference between the older marines is really jarring lol

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gunder posted:

Yes and yes. Primaris marines tend to have an extra wound and also one more attack. They also have access to superior equipment. Their standard Boltgun, called a Bolt Rifle, has longer range (30” up from 24”) and -1 AP as standard.

They have less options for equipment though, which is supposed to represent that the Primaris lack the experience of their older brethren. So in practical terms Intercessors basically just have their Bolt Rifles while Tactical Squads can have one or two marines carry specialized weapons of basically every archetype of weapon in the game. They lack Jetpack equipped melee infantry (which is why Blood Angel lists rely on Death Company Assault Squads and Sanguinary Guard and look really silly having tiny marines flying around their bigger brothers) and have no Terminator equivalent. I don't know why it takes 100 years to teach Primaris how to strap on a jetpack and charge things with a chainsword (esp considering Inceptors and Suppressors have jetpacks) but yeah.

However they are deliberately phasing out the old marines because they bumped up the points cost of most of them by "not worth taking competitively" amounts aside from a couple exceptions (Devastator with Grav Cannons and Terminators got cheaper and stayed the same respectively) so their fate is more or less set in stone. They'll keep including them in the rules in perpetuity though because they're by far the most popular models and the amount of mad generated from being suddenly unplayable would be immense.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's an assault on black reach smol marine, their sculpts did not age well

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just built a shooty plasma redemptor as a friend for my etb and I will never, ever build another one of these loving things again. I've never said "what the gently caress" and "but why?" this many times assembling a model and I've built a storm eagle and a fire raptor.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JBP posted:

I just built a shooty plasma redemptor as a friend for my etb and I will never, ever build another one of these loving things again. I've never said "what the gently caress" and "but why?" this many times assembling a model and I've built a storm eagle and a fire raptor.

Ugh...I have one of those to assemble.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ugh...I have one of those to assemble.

I'm probably not in the best frame of mind due to the roni but there is a mislabeled part (a shoulder faring from memory, no biggie) and the legs have these finicky bits but they're not even that poseable. This isn't even mentioning all the stupid action figure poo poo like the flip up front armour where the bottom piece doesn't actually fit. A lot of the bits you'd expect to just fit don't tbh. The arms appear to be designed to just slide on, but you'll need to chop the poo poo out of the holes or risk applying so much force that the entire thing breaks.

Enjoy!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah in my game on the weekend the squad of ten old school wolf guard marines standing next to 5 Assault Intercessors, 5 Reivers, and Primaris Ragnar really made them feel small in comparison.

I see why GW is phasing stuff out very slowly, but part of me feels now they should have tried to just do it quickly. If you bought a small marine army 10 years ago and in a couple years time you can't play them anymore without basically using them as proxies for primaris marines, that sucks but you got a good run out of them, you can't reasonably expect them to be appropriate for literally forever.

On the other hand if you just get into space marines today and go into a GW store as a newbie you could get talked into spending hundreds of pounds on units that become unplayable in a couple of years, which is much more annoying.

I'm starting to think they should have basically stopped producing Tactical marines when they introduced intercessors, but kept the rules around.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I kind of agree, but you'd have to contend with the tidal wave of nerd rage if you did that, and I can understand GW being reticent to do that.

Edit: Look how much impotent rage was generated by the mere existence of Primaris marines. Unfortunately, this hobby seems to attract a lot of people who feel pretty threatened by change.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 3, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I figure regular marines are going to be soft-phased out with their current models remaining available but new units being exclusively Primaris.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If they are permanently phasing out older marines and the Primaris ones are better/more points, does that mean that Space Marines and all their offshoots are going to be even more of an elite but small force army?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If they are permanently phasing out older marines and the Primaris ones are better/more points, does that mean that Space Marines and all their offshoots are going to be even more of an elite but small force army?

I mean yes, if that is what happens. If it happens (and I'm sure it will) it's a long way out and is just fan theorizing at this point. The game could be radically different by then.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
To be fair I never felt Space Marines played as elite as they should be really. Sure I have like 70 Guardsmen on the battlefield, but if you have 40 Space Marines then you're not really that elite as the fluff makes out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Primaris Plague Marines when :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kitchner posted:

To be fair I never felt Space Marines played as elite as they should be really. Sure I have like 70 Guardsmen on the battlefield, but if you have 40 Space Marines then you're not really that elite as the fluff makes out.

I suppose what they are losing is their versatility, which was always a big part of the lore and their playstyle. Primaris are generally equipped to be best at particular tasks which makes them feel like bulkier eldar.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

To be fair, GW do seem to be trying to make Primaris more elite than old marines. A lot of the new units like Bladeguard, Agressors or Inceptors have a unit size of 3-6. Transports also encourage a MSU style with their limited capacity. There's no Rhino equivalent for cheap mechanised infantry, you either need two Impulsors or an expensive Repulsor to move a full sized squad. Gone are the days of 60 tactial marines tumbling out of a handful tiny metal boxes like elite clown cars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How much bigger would Konrad Curze be compared to a primaris marine? Could I use him as a conversion for my chapter master or would he look out of place? I've got Fulgrim and he doesn't seem that much bigger than a primaris marine, but he's also in a full flight pose.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I would have had a little more respect had GW just came out and said, "look, we don't like our old marine sculpts and proportions, so we're going to just replace them all with these new ones." Though I completely understand why they took the route they did. I'm kind of glad I just got into the hobby in the last year. If I ever got into playing Loyalist marines I'd only buy Primaris units. I think anyone still buying old marines at this point has to know the writing is on the wall.

I'm just waiting for them to start releasing Chaos Primaris. I feel its coming what with Fabius just being re-released and his little gimp assistant clearly ripping geneseed out of a primaris marine. Hopefully they have Chaos corrupt it so we can have chaos units that are more differentiated from loyalist. Really bring in the mutations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

I suppose what they are losing is their versatility, which was always a big part of the lore and their playstyle. Primaris are generally equipped to be best at particular tasks which makes them feel like bulkier eldar.

Yeah that's what's confusing me. Isn't the fluff that Cawl developed the Primaris Marines as sort of an elite-of-the-elite force to supplement the regular Space Marines, not replace them? Like, if they're existing together in the lore, I don't see why GW would phase out the regular ones.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doesn't the whole "crossing the Rubicon Primaris" thing sorta imply that lore-wise, the Smallmarines are literally going to disappear via attrition (either being upgraded to Primaris or die in battle)?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

What I assume GW wants is to have the normal marines be the jack of all trades army, because they have lifted up that aspect a couple of times before, and then wanted the Primaris to be the Imperium Eldar with highly specialized units like aspect warriors and so on.

The problem is that they haven't made this obvious. The normal marines keep getting sidelined since GW is a company looking for profit and that means that Primaris will get pushed constantly.
The same goes with the rules, Primaris gets the biggest and most powerful rules to shift models while normal marines don't get the flexibility they should really have and have to make due with older rules.

GW really screwed up there, which really just feeds the constant comments about them being phased out. I doubt the 9th ed Codex is going to much to change that and the issue will persist until GW actually pulls the plug on normal marines and just says everything have been primaris'd. At which point they either ge the flexibility the smaller ones had or they're just stuck as Not-Eldar.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 3, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
All of this is why I want to get into a "Space Marines but sorta not" adjacent chapter like Grey Knights that have their own sculpts and I don't have to worry about my poo poo becoming obsolete when GW goes all-in on Primaris.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

All of this is why I want to get into a "Space Marines but sorta not" adjacent chapter like Grey Knights that have their own sculpts and I don't have to worry about my poo poo becoming obsolete when GW goes all-in on Primaris.

That just meanspunting the problem a few years down the road. They're going to try to sell you Gravis Paladins or whatever at some point :v:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Badly Jester posted:

That just meanspunting the problem a few years down the road. They're going to try to sell you Gravis Paladins or whatever at some point :v:

Yeah, best case scenario with Grey Knight is basically that your models become useless in some other way. Even if strike squads stay the same in terms of name and abilities, they would have primaris sculpts eventually.

I'm genuinely worried more about my Guard, because there's no way I can afford to replace like 100 Guardsmen at £25 for ten in any reasonable time frame. At least with GK you can get an army again fairly quickly.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Oh wow, I did not know about this space marine faction split. I just assumed it was updated models for the space marines.

Do you have primaris for every chapter? I like the idea of fewer models, that's why I had a small grey knight force. No idea what I should do with that now because it seems like primaris have better models and support...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's not a faction split, it's just new models and a new keyword. You can run them together just fine, they just might look a little wonky on the table together -- I'm going almost all-Primaris for my collection for largely this reason because I'm borderline OCD about stuff like that :v:

I've been painting a squad of Dark Vengeance terminators over the past couple weeks off and on, and they're about to be finished. Just put together my first Primaris model (Lieutenant Zakariah) and honestly Termies look pretty much fine next to bigmarines. So they're gonna stay part of my little army.

Tactical dudes not so much.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

CODChimera posted:

Oh wow, I did not know about this space marine faction split. I just assumed it was updated models for the space marines.

Do you have primaris for every chapter? I like the idea of fewer models, that's why I had a small grey knight force. No idea what I should do with that now because it seems like primaris have better models and support...

Grey Knights don't have Primaris. Everybody else does, except for Your Custom Chapter That You Don't Want To Have Primaris.

They've written a lot of fiction about this. Even the Dark Angels accepted them, with some trouble along the way involving brainwashing and attempted disposal of Primaris units via suicide mission deployment. The only Chapter Master who's explicitly rejected them is Gabriel Seth, and even that was less "I'm not letting any in" and more "This sucks, but I'll take them, but I don't consider them real Flesh Tearers and as far as I'm concerned they're the destruction of my Chapter and once all the oldmarines are gone and it's just Primaris, the Flesh Tearers will just be Ultramarines wearing red."

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 3, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Drone posted:

I've been painting a squad of Dark Vengeance terminators over the past couple weeks off and on, and they're about to be finished. Just put together my first Primaris model (Lieutenant Zakariah) and honestly Termies look pretty much fine next to bigmarines. So they're gonna stay part of my little army.

the only REAL terminators are poxwalker sized

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Have they started adopting chapter traits yet? Like black rage or spacewolf fangs?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

peer posted:

the only REAL terminators are poxwalker sized

https://twitter.com/the40kmodeller/status/1160607269593202688?s=20

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to get into Chaos.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, best case scenario with Grey Knight is basically that your models become useless in some other way. Even if strike squads stay the same in terms of name and abilities, they would have primaris sculpts eventually.

I'm genuinely worried more about my Guard, because there's no way I can afford to replace like 100 Guardsmen at £25 for ten in any reasonable time frame. At least with GK you can get an army again fairly quickly.
I mean, you can if you don't mind going 3rd-party, but that's predicated on whether you want to play in official GW events, I guess.

Stephenls posted:

Grey Knights don't have Primaris. Everybody else does, except for Your Custom Chapter That You Don't Want To Have Primaris.

They've written a lot of fiction about this. Even the Dark Angels accepted them, with some trouble along the way involving brainwashing and attempted disposal of Primaris units via suicide mission deployment. The only Chapter Master who's explicitly rejected them is Gabriel Seth, and even that was less "I'm not letting any in" and more "This sucks, but I'll take them, but I don't consider them real Flesh Tearers and as far as I'm concerned they're the destruction of my Chapter and once all the oldmarines are gone and it's just Primaris, the Flesh Tearers will just be Ultramarines wearing red."
Not to mention Custodes showing up with the reinforcements to tell you 'accept this assistance or else.' Even the Celestial Lions, whose own Primaris never arrived because the Inquisition are petty assholes have Primaris because the Emperor's Spears, their brother chapter shared the details on how to make them.

If Your Dudes don't have Primaris, just say the new guys got lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

Have they started adopting chapter traits yet? Like black rage or spacewolf fangs?

In fiction only so far, there's been at least one mention in the 8th ed Space Wolves codex of Primaris Marines suffering from the Wulfen curse and I think the latest Dante book deals with Black Rage and Primaris.