Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWfDVD5GPw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://mangadex.org/chapter/971257

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Louis is so happy to be with his lion bros again and doesn't want to show it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was watching the anime again recently because I was bored and it reminded me of just how good and well paced the original arc of the story is. Ah the good ole days.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The lions are idiots and I love them

An entire gang of Legosis

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Vinylshadow posted:

The lions are idiots and I love them

An entire gang of Legosis

This is a very good discription. I hope the anime captures their goofiness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://mangadex.org/chapter/978724

this fukkin front page

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is Melon doing with his legs here?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gotta work in your squats! It's leg day, bro!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bringing out his inner Jojo.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I spent the last two days binging all of the manga. Overall I've really enjoyed it. It really doesn't feel like a manga, given that it isn't full of your standard animeisms. I could have been fooled that it was a western graphic novel at the start.

The story did feel like it took kind of a strange turn with the quiz show and giant spike though. Likewise, the tail bomb, instant teeth growth, and crossdressing fights felt kind of out of place given the seriousness of what was happening.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
since melon appeared the series has gradually been shifting into a more shounen-esque direction mixed with the sometimes-cartoony weirdness of Baki and it's not to everyone's taste

i haven't been thrilled with the comic's direction for a while, but i just did the sensible thing and wrote my own ending so i'm less invested in what's happening in canon

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's occasionally some really good, compelling stuff involving Melon - like his weird hosed up sensory systems and his absolutely horrifying relationship with his mom - that reminds me of Riz's hosed up warped relationship with himself, herbivores, and society as a whole. "This is one way that a hybrid can turn out if things go badly" is an interesting line for the story to explore and for Legosi to face, given Legosi's own ancestry and his relationship with Haru.

The problem is that this legitimately neat stuff is wrapped up in a really strange battle shonen pastiche with a heavy dose of Looney Tunes slapstick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one thing I think is interesting about Melon is yeah- he's an example of a hybrid gone drastically wrong. Beastars doesn't work like the real world and just like carnivore desires for meat not being something you can ignore, the consequences of a carnivore/herbivore mixed-breed turning out bad isn't something you can ignore either. Legosi facing up to that reality and developing a rationale/response to the potential disastrous consequences for further intimacy between carnivores and herbivores seems like a natural end-game for his development- same for Louis really (who has already come to believe that Carnivores and Herbivores can and should live together, and may come to the same conclusion about interbreeding).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

The one thing I think is interesting about Melon is yeah- he's an example of a hybrid gone drastically wrong. Beastars doesn't work like the real world and just like carnivore desires for meat not being something you can ignore, the consequences of a carnivore/herbivore mixed-breed turning out bad isn't something you can ignore either.

the arc's recent chapters (and especially the forthcoming one if the leaks bear out) appear to be sprinting towards the "nurture" side of the nature/nurture argument regarding hybridism, though - melon's issues are less due to his screwy biology and more due to his horrendous upbringing, which was rooted in the social stigma of two different species hooking up in the first place

it's a little odd considering how leano's sidestory was a pretty devastating look at how the "nature" half of hybrid births can ruin families, since her mutations and her response to them both ended her own life and severely traumatized her own kid. probably messed up gosha pretty badly too, but the story currently appears content with treating him as yafya's hype-man and little else

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

the arc's recent chapters (and especially the forthcoming one if the leaks bear out) appear to be sprinting towards the "nurture" side of the nature/nurture argument regarding hybridism, though - melon's issues are less due to his screwy biology and more due to his horrendous upbringing, which was rooted in the social stigma of two different species hooking up in the first place

it's a little odd considering how leano's sidestory was a pretty devastating look at how the "nature" half of hybrid births can ruin families, since her mutations and her response to them both ended her own life and severely traumatized her own kid. probably messed up gosha pretty badly too, but the story currently appears content with treating him as yafya's hype-man and little else
I imagine it could be psychological but isn't one of the things that really bothers him about his body is that he can't really taste anything- vegetables or meat?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I imagine it could be psychological but isn't one of the things that really bothers him about his body is that he can't really taste anything- vegetables or meat?

they dropped that entirely as soon as Melon Mama entered the picture, then all his body angst centered around his parents

it was a really hard swerve that makes me think his character was revised mid-story. until Legosi flings him out a window he’s a hedonist who commits heinous acts in an effort to make up for his sense loss and says his “first murder” was his classmates, then he has the flashback with his mother and it’s Mama this and Mama that, and it’s clearly shown that he was an alright kid until he ironed her out

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

they dropped that entirely as soon as Melon Mama entered the picture, then all his body angst centered around his parents

it was a really hard swerve that makes me think his character was revised mid-story. until Legosi flings him out a window he’s a hedonist who commits heinous acts in an effort to make up for his sense loss and says his “first murder” was his classmates, then he has the flashback with his mother and it’s Mama this and Mama that, and it’s clearly shown that he was an alright kid until he ironed her out

The story didn't entirely drop Melon's weird sensory issues. As recently as a couple of chapters ago(184) Melon references having no sense of taste. He also cackles about how many murders he's committed while fighting Legosi.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Except he wasn't. He already had issues that his relationship with his mother only exacerbated. That's the point. It's not one or the other. There are legitimate problems that come with being a hybridized creature, especially one that's both herbivore and carnivore. But those problems can be mitigated or exacerbated by their upbringing.

Leano, too, evidences this. Gosha let her live her life as a purebred wolf because he thought it would be better for her. It was an inverted version of what Melon's mom did to him. A safe bubble where she didn't have to acknowledge her differences everywhere except inside of her home made out of good intentions. She built her entire identity around that so when she changed, her entire world collapsed around her.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just realized, and this is a huge can of worms, that some of the same people who were for Legosi/Juno (I saw a Legosi/Juno post that literally used a wolf-related version of that "security of our race and a future for our children" white-supremacist dogwhistle (followed immediately by someone saying "Get off of 4chan, Juno.")) will point to this as validation of their arguments against miscegenation.

Of course, any biologist can tell you that Melon and Legosi are instead acting as great displays of hybrid vigor. :v:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 6, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Except he wasn't. He already had issues that his relationship with his mother only exacerbated. That's the point. It's not one or the other.

yes, and my point is that the comic itself has whipsawed almost solely to “the other” ever since melon’s mother was introduced. his struggles with his biology now only get lip service while the narrative lays all of the blame on his upbringing and societal prejudice, which would be okay if it wasn’t also insisting that all species are somehow predisposed to getting along peacefully, or if we didn’t spend months and months of panel time on this sneering, cavorting rear end in a top hat only to conclude “bad parents were the problem”

the hybridism dilemma in this arc reached its peak with leano. everything around melon has just felt cheap, not in the least because we keep getting distracted with other tangents that go from entertainingly loony (quiz show from hell) to even worse than melon (everything to do with Kyuu)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
...well then, that's certainly a development

based on how apathetic and nonchalant he's being about abandoning his child and wife, I'm gonna say he's going to be horrified/disgusted/repulsed by seeing melon at all

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
rofl gosha is more like a xenomorph than a komodo dragon this chapter. Also I think calling Melon's dad the true evil is a bit much when we have legosi fighing a mass-murderer trying to ignite a full-blown war right now; definitely an rear end in a top hat though

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean his dad is the cause of all those things happening in a fairly direct way, whether or not he saw it coming doesn't really excuse it.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Desperate Character posted:

rofl gosha is more like a xenomorph than a komodo dragon this chapter. Also I think calling Melon's dad the true evil is a bit much when we have legosi fighing a mass-murderer trying to ignite a full-blown war right now; definitely an rear end in a top hat though

I think the point here is that Melon is the way he is due to severe trauma that drove him crazy. Part of this trauma was caused directly by his dad, who acted the way he did for no real, justificable reason. The cause of Melon's evil can be explained; this cannot be said for his father.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MachuPikacchu posted:

I think the point here is that Melon is the way he is due to severe trauma that drove him crazy. Part of this trauma was caused directly by his dad, who acted the way he did for no real, justificable reason. The cause of Melon's evil can be explained; this cannot be said for his father.

What? Melon's dad had very real reasons to do what he did - ingrained prejudice from society against mixed relationships(which is half the story of Legosi's entire relationship with Haru) made him feel self-conscious and oppressed in public, and fear of the carnivore he was living with snapping and killing him due to the carnivore relationship between love and hunger(which is the other half of the Legosi/Haru relationship and also a gigantic part of Riz's story). Hell, Legosi's mom killed herself in part due to enormous societal pressure to be "normal" and when her body betrayed that pressure she couldn't handle it. It makes sense that someone under that kind of fear/pressure would just crack and peace out rather than dealing with it, even if it's not noble or heroic.

I'm actually not entirely on board with them insinuating that Melon's dad is the real monster here - he's a deadbeat jerk who royally hosed up his wife and son for life by his cowardice, that's undeniable. But Melon is a goddamn mass murdering psychopath who slaughtered and tortured people for funsies. His horrible childhood is an explanation for how he turned out how he did, but it shouldn't be an excuse. Louis grew up in a goddamn jail cell with a number for a name to be sold for parts and was only saved by being bought as chattel by a "father" who only wanted an heir rather than a son, but he didn't grow up to be a mass murderer because his childhood was a nightmare.

It's possible that they'll reveal that Well Actually Melon's Dad Was Also A Sadistic Spouse Abuser or something, or do the obvious swerve and go "The Real Evil One Is Actually Society!", but the current read of "His dad hosed up his life by going out to get some smokes and never returning, therefore it's understandable that Melon became the Joker" isn't sticking with me.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
especially rich that the story is using yafya as its mouthpiece to condemn this guy. I like his character but morally unimpeachable he is not, no matter how desperately the comic now wants me to think otherwise

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

especially rich that the story is using yafya as its mouthpiece to condemn this guy. I like his character but morally unimpeachable he is not, no matter how desperately the comic now wants me to think otherwise

We've found the Real Evil One, nods Yafya, pausing momentarily to pick a piece of carrot grown from fertilizer made from the ground up corpses of criminals he's personally killed from his teeth.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I want Gosha's shirt

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think what they're referring to as the true evil one was Melon's father, not his mother. His disappearance lead Melon to believe his mother ate him, which deeply traumatized him, which has lead to the Melon of today. I don't think it's trying to imply that Melon's Dad is worse than Melon, who is currently in a blood soaked deathmatch

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Juchero posted:

I think what they're referring to as the true evil one was Melon's father, not his mother. His disappearance lead Melon to believe his mother ate him, which deeply traumatized him, which has lead to the Melon of today. I don't think it's trying to imply that Melon's Dad is worse than Melon, who is currently in a blood soaked deathmatch

it's possible but not very likely. yafya's the one making that statement, and he has no idea who melon's mother was. his judgment is probably being influenced by his newfound respect for gosha becoming a family man, but this is definitely looking like the story wants to lay everything melon did at this guy's feet. melon is the "love failure," after all, and his runaway dad is the reason that love failed

personally i'm not really convinced

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
189: I don't know why I would expect her tp have died any other way. What is wrong with these wolves?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

189: I don't know why I would expect her tp have died any other way. What is wrong with these wolves?

i get the scene's intent and all, but would it really have been so awful to just have gosha forget his disinfectant bottle, or find out that it had run empty (which is pretty likely given how diligent he is with using the stuff) rather than making toki deliberately dump out his entire supply before going for a snootful of toxic love? it makes her come off as less tragically naive and more deviously suicidal

loving gosha, man, someone give this poor lizard a break

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i get the scene's intent and all, but would it really have been so awful to just have gosha forget his disinfectant bottle, or find out that it had run empty (which is pretty likely given how diligent he is with using the stuff) rather than making toki deliberately dump out his entire supply before going for a snootful of toxic love? it makes her come off as less tragically naive and more deviously suicidal

loving gosha, man, someone give this poor lizard a break

Had it gone that way Gosha would have blamed himself far more than he does now for having failed to be prepared despite knowing the danger. This was written to let him be absolved entirely of it. But it does indeed make Toki's intentions seem worse than they probably were. Then again, look at her grandson.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I uh.. I can’t even follow what’s happening anymore.

Not for lack of trying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I uh.. I can’t even follow what’s happening anymore.

Not for lack of trying.

melon's dad showed up (...somehow) to the black market brawl, only to reveal that he was a deadbeat who ran out on melon's mother because he wasn't comfortable with the relationship, inadvertently starting all the trauma and abuse that would help make melon who he is today. gosha, whose own wife turns out to have literally died in service of their own naive love, is less than pleased by this, and looks ready to give melon's dad a Xenomorph Special as a result

the problem is still melon. we keep getting all this side commentary and flashback info but it's always done in the context of him or his family. he's wrapped around this story like a creeper vine, choking it to death

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah, well .. I guess that works. Thanks!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oxxidation posted:

the problem is still melon. we keep getting all this side commentary and flashback info but it's always done in the context of him or his family. he's wrapped around this story like a creeper melon vine, choking it to death

:v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I want a future chapter to reveal that while all these flashbacks have been going on, Legoshi's just ripped Melon's head off, Mortal Kombat style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

I want a future chapter to reveal that while all these flashbacks have been going on, Legoshi's just ripped Melon's head off, Mortal Kombat style.

An internal decapitation(or something similar, like what Baki did to Retsu) followed by immediate cervical spine stabilization and semi-panicked rescue breathing(probably punctuated by overly deferential apologies between breaths) would be more in character for Legoshi.