Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AbstractNapper posted:

Would it make sense to disable saving until that particular sequence is concluded?

Maybe! It's like a three second scene, you just need to click the obvious door on the other side before the invisible timer says you'll get smushed. I can open a ticket, sure, see what people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I stopped reading at

quote:

Watchmen, a two-year-old book which had all but single-handedly invented the idea of the graphic novel as a respectable literary form.

because that's either some terminal Anglocentrism or terminal fack-idiotism.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I stopped reading at

Your loss.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Your loss.

Well yeah he'll never get the time spent on that partial read back, but at least he didn't waste even more so it's not as much of a loss.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I stopped reading at

Alright, what do you think the first "respectable" Graphic Novels are? Like, the earliest recognized ones are from '78 and were almost entirely collected short series reprinted in single book form. The Watchmen is out a year before Maus gets collected as a graphic novel and wins the pullitzer. What non-anglo centric graphic novels do you think deserve the "first respectable literary form" title? Please note I'm not trying to be condescending here, I'm just curious on what Graphic Novels I'm missing out on.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TheAnomaly posted:

Alright, what do you think the first "respectable" Graphic Novels are? Like, the earliest recognized ones are from '78 and were almost entirely collected short series reprinted in single book form. The Watchmen is out a year before Maus gets collected as a graphic novel and wins the pullitzer. What non-anglo centric graphic novels do you think deserve the "first respectable literary form" title? Please note I'm not trying to be condescending here, I'm just curious on what Graphic Novels I'm missing out on.

I mean Barefoot Gen started in 1973.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheAnomaly posted:

I'm going to bet Tintin or Asterix, or maybe something similar but more obscure and mature.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Passionate Journey (1919)

If they'd just said "arguably" instead of "all but single-handedly", but alas

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Pretty sure the OP just means manga. Maybe Tintin and Asterix if we're lucky. Slim chance of Eisner's A Contract With God series, but I guess that's too western likely.

Oh, if anyone hasn't read A Contract With God, I highly reccomend it. Very powerful work.

Edit: I loves me some good manga too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I stopped reading at

We've got a spy in the thread, lads.

The article now reads:

quote:

In May of 1989, a popular British gaming magazine known as The One published a feature about Watchmen, a two-year-old book which had done much to inculcate the idea of the graphic novel as a respectable literary form.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Comic Book nerds never miss an opportunity to embody every stereotype about how insufferable they are.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sleeveless posted:

Comic Book nerds never miss an opportunity to embody every stereotype about how insufferable they are.

Out of all the nerd types, comic book nerds are the only one I never met in real life. I guess that is a good thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

Comes, Pratt, Altan, YOU PIECE OF poo poo.

E: Buzzelli. NEVER EVER TALK ABOUT COMICS ANYWHERE YOU COCK.

Ee: Tardi YOU SICK IDIOT WHO DAYS IM NOT BEING CONDESCENDING WHILE BEING TO CONDESCENSION WHAT TRUMP IS TO LYING.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 30, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I guess we probably should have looked at your rap sheet first :v:

Free game content: From Orbit is free for while on itch.io. I think it was part of the huge COVID bundle so anyone that picked that up probably already has it!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 30, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Comes, Pratt, Altan, YOU PIECE OF poo poo.

E: Buzzelli. NEVER EVER TALK ABOUT COMICS ANYWHERE YOU COCK.

Ee: Tardi YOU SICK IDIOT WHO DAYS IM NOT BEING CONDESCENDING WHILE BEING TO CONDESCENSION WHAT TRUMP IS TO LYING.

what's the joke here

hmm if there is a joke (benefit of the doubt) it's not a very good one. less caps and hostility please

oddium fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 30, 2020

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
While it’s strange to barge in an otherwise unrelated thread with pedantic stuff, since some people have replied earnestly, i must say he is not wrong ( besides graphic novel being a meaningless term) in that there is ton of pre-watchmen stuff from all over the world that is very much worth reading.
In my experience most comic book fans are actually pretty chill about it, unless they’re one of those with an unhealthy obsession with specific niches in the field.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
20XX, Barony, and Sword and Sworcery are now up on Epic and it looks like next week is Wilmot's Warehouse, which I was wanting to check out.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I stopped reading at 20XX is a roguelike

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

I stopped reading at 20XX is a roguelike

Because it should be called a roguelite or because you aren't into randomized stuff? I recently played it on the Switch and it's pretty fun if you like Mega Man X. Levels become repetitive quickly though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah i mean it's in a genre where the main appeal is level design and has randomized non-hand-designed levels.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah i mean it's in a genre where the main appeal is level design and has randomized non-hand-designed levels.

Yep it's no true Mega Man but it still scratched an itch. Nice av btw.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This doesn't seem to be on Bethesda's site at the moment, but it's been copy-pasted onto a bunch of other sites, so sure. During QuakeCon @ Home (August 7-9), the original Quake will apparently be downloadable for free from the Bethesda.net Launcher. If the event's charity fundraisers (for Direct Relief, UNICEF, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, and The Trevor Project) raise a total of $10,000, they'll do the same thing to Quake 2 "at a point soon after the event".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sorry please probate me.

Not for.being wrong at all but for being drunk. As ow.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1289417653551915009

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Replaying Beneath A Steel Sky in prep before I buy the sequel, just as lovely as always.

Right away though, hearing Joey speak again his voice sounded so familiar. Quite a surprise to learn Jason Isaacs played Joey. He was pretty much a nobody back in '94 when the game came out. Still a few years out from getting small roles in larger productions at that point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

rocket arena

don't bother trying to get a pc code now, they ran out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's OK that game will be free to play within 6 months anyway given how many discounts and giveaways they've done on it already before it's even launched.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
#NotMyRocketArena

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Bring back Rocket Jockey!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Border Zone is the newest Indiegala freebie:

https://freebies.indiegala.com/borderzone/?dev_id=freebies

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mordja posted:

#NotMyRocketArena

LETSNOTROCKET

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I like the Rocket Arena mod for Quake 1 because that's when someone finally told me I was supposed to play that game with a mouse. Ever since Wolfenstein I just used the keyboard arrow keys and assumed that's how it was done.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

davebo posted:

I like the Rocket Arena mod for Quake 1 because that's when someone finally told me I was supposed to play that game with a mouse. Ever since Wolfenstein I just used the keyboard arrow keys and assumed that's how it was done.

I remember seeing the option for mouse back then and thinking “someone out there plays these games with only a mouse??”

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/TheDCJunkyard/status/1290067277849616385?s=19

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Social Animal posted:

I remember seeing the option for mouse back then and thinking “someone out there plays these games with only a mouse??”

I had a friend that played Duke 3D with a mouse and I thought he was a lunatic. Jedi Knight was the first game to make me see the light, and consequently since it had invert mouse on by default, I'm now permanently an invert mouse person.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I get inverted control stick (not really but) but....... Inverted.... Mouse.....?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I get inverted control stick (not really but) but....... Inverted.... Mouse.....?

Yeah you put the mouse on its back and spin the trackball with your fingers while right/left clicking with your thumb. Takes some getting used to, and the switch to laser mice was hard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

inverted WASD is a life changer

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I did that for a while when I first started using mouselook. Quake 1 came with Thresh's personal config file and I think he used it, and i was using a trackball at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I always forget about track balls. Buddy of mine in middle school's dad was a track ball user and was insane at CS. No idea how but it worked for him.