Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Getting through some necrons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished my skeleton knight test model from the skeleton horde boxed set.

I need tips on taking better photos!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That rusty metal looks good as heck

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Yeah please explain rust method

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

It's super god drat hard

first I put down the base metal color. I use Army Painter Gun Metal for the horse armor, and I made a mix of teal and brass for the knight's armor. Then I wash the whole thing with Army Painter Dark Wash, and when that's dry I coat the whole thing with slightly watered down Army Painter Dry Rust. I highlight the edges in gun metal, and paint on more dry rust in areas that seem extra corroded.

I try to paint the metal highlights by gently stippling the metal paint on to give the effect of rough edges.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Anyone have experience with printing their own decals, and any brand of paper that worked especially well? Realizing that these giant empty black shoulderpads are really hard to blend into something good and having a big transfer there instead would look way better.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

R0ckfish posted:

Getting through some necrons!

how'd you do the bases?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Marathoned Mollog today- came out rougher than I would like, but it was good learning for blending and layering.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I picked up a wet palette, watched a few videos and in the comments I saw some people inquiring about like mold / bacteria / funky smells? What does one do if this starts to happen?

Also when you're done with the palette do you just close it up and leave it as is? Still water-logged? And where do you get replacement sponges?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sab669 posted:

I picked up a wet palette, watched a few videos and in the comments I saw some people inquiring about like mold / bacteria / funky smells? What does one do if this starts to happen?

Also when you're done with the palette do you just close it up and leave it as is? Still water-logged? And where do you get replacement sponges?

Okay, this is going to sound sarcastic, but its not meant to be: If it gets mouldy, clean it.

Wet palettes are one of these things that some people have very strong opinions on, but not necessarily based on a lot of evidence. I've seen people recommend putting a penny in the water because the copper in the penny will ??? and that will apparently prevent mildew (while copper can be used as a fungicide, theres more to it than dunking a penny in water and calling it a day). One youtuber whose work I really like talks about putting a splash of rubbing alcohol in the water to kill germs (if there was enough alcohol to prevent mold/kill bacteria then it would have an impact on your paints). As far as I can tell this is mainly confirmation bias of "well I did this and I didnt get mould" which is fine except other people who didnt do that didnt get mould either.

In my experience, just clean the wet palette out occasionally and you are fine. Rinse it, wash it with dish soap, dry it, wash the sponge, let it totally dry. I do this whenever I need to change the paper, or if I know I'm not gong to be painting for the next week or so. Its going to depend on how warm/humid it is where you live. I live in Scotland, and probably clean my wet palette out once every 4-6 weeks on average. If you live somewhere warm then probably more often would be better. Other than that, yeah, its usually closed up still water logged.

My wet palette is home made, when I need/want to replace the sponge (which I've only done once, when it either had mold I couldnt shift or just had a stain on it from when a dropper bottle of army painter Elf Green burst on the palette and honestly I wasnt sure which) I just cut another sponge to fit. I use "Spontex sponge cloths" (happen to have the packet to hand) which were about £1 for 4. If you are wanting replacements for a sponge from a particular palette manufacturer I guess check their website? You shouldnt really need to replace the sponge for a good long while, if ever, as long as you wash it occasionally.

Does remind me, I've not cleaned mine for a while, its been in fairly constant use through lockdown. Might take a bit of a break from painting for a couple of days and do that this week.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I've never had mold or smells and I have left stuff sit in there for too long.

Yes, just close it up. You may need to add a little more water the next time you use it. You should be able to slide the paper back and forth over the sponge a bit.

You can use folded paper towels, but I can't imagine the sponge thing wearing out anytime soon.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
got my deathguard scheme down so i'm doing the big lad

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm just a spectator in this thread (haven't painted miniatures since I was in jr. high) but when I was oil painting slightly more recently, I would stick my wet palette in the freezer. But I think most of you are using acrylics and I have no idea what the result would be....?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
A teaspoon or so of hydrogen peroxide or adding a copper coin beneath the sponge can help prevent wet palette mildew. If it does happen toss the paper and clean the palette/sponge with some water with a little bit of bleach.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i did what someone else said last time and just sprayed a tiny bit of window cleaner into the water

works fine

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
usually when my kitchen sponges get mildewy i just get them decently wet then toss them in the microwave for like 15 seconds

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also can't you just use a Tupperware with some wet paper towels in it as a wet palette? Works fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You get like 6 basic rear end sponges for $2. It's the most expensive part of a wet pallet

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sandwich ham sometimes comes in a wet pallet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

Sandwich ham sometimes comes in a wet pallet.

:hmmorks:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for the input :)

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

got my deathguard scheme down so i'm doing the big lad

These look sweet, I'm hoping to do something very similar real soon :)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sab669 posted:

Thanks for the input :)

These look sweet, I'm hoping to do something very similar real soon :)

Wraithbone spray base, reikland fleshshade over the armour, then contrast white over that gets you what i've done for the armour if that helps!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

how'd you do the bases?

Nothing too fancy:
- Vallejo Grey Sand Paste
- Baneblade Brown
- Darkoath Flesh
- Drybrush Rakarth Flesh

Then some tufts from gamers grass (beige, light green, dry green).

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

R0ckfish posted:

Nothing too fancy:
- Vallejo Grey Sand Paste
- Baneblade Brown
- Darkoath Flesh
- Drybrush Rakarth Flesh

Then some tufts from gamers grass (beige, light green, dry green).

did you sculpt the sand paste? how do they compare to the GW "texture paints"? they look pretty neat!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

did you sculpt the sand paste? how do they compare to the GW "texture paints"? they look pretty neat!

I just sorta slapped it on in this case, they are mostly the same idea as the GW stuff. This one is pretty thin so I am not sure there is an exact equivalent for GW.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am a big dumb, ordered my first brushes from BrokenToad, only to find out I ordered the wrong size, 0/3. I guess I can do some good edge highlighting, and eyes? :v: I dont know how I get something like that wrong.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just did a quick test paint scheme on my Wraithguard, mostly (all?) cribbing from the Dark Angels color scheme. This is just single coat thinned paint no highlights etc. End result I plan on being more like the DA but with more in your face edge highlights in the style of the Eldar canon schemes. There will also be a tabard/robe hanging between the legs that I will paint wraithbone/white with some symbols or whatever on it.

The red jewels on the back vane I plan to do as jewels with gloss varnish after I matte varnish everything else once done.

Any thoughts about the overall scheme here? I'm planning to base my army around what I come up with here.

fake edit: the arms aren't glued on right now so I can paint the arms/gun as a sub assembly

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Any thoughts about the overall scheme here?

Congratulations on your new Biel~Tan color-variant army.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Two Beans posted:

Congratulations on your new Biel~Tan color-variant army.

hah I love their scheme and if I had an air brush I might paint that much white

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Thanqol posted:

Pas'oriel, the demonic patron of the Seven Scribes despises them for what they have done to her. Once she was sleek, magnificent, wondrous - the fairest servant of the Changer of Ways. Cast into Grandfather Nurgle's pot alongside her Alpha Legion wards, she no longer resembles her once-fair self. So she furiously garbs herself with gold and gemstones, adorning her corpulent and diseased flesh like a magpie bejewelling its nest. She holds the warband personally responsible for her state, but as the Alpha Legion are proud so is she - and the Scribes can usually talk her over with great flattery and offerings of wealth. The Seven Scribes as a result of their relationship with this daemon frequently send agents to perform bank heists or rid noble spires - a practice that occasionally causes them to neglect their true objectives, and once has had them censured by the Warmaster.

Really fine narrative paint job. Loving it. Do any of your troops carry on with the jewel motif?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Primaris Captain I finished, did a head-swap with a 30k Suzerain for a bit more bling.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Count_Brass posted:

Primaris Captain I finished, did a head-swap with a 30k Suzerain for a bit more bling.

This guy looks awesome!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I am a big dumb, ordered my first brushes from BrokenToad, only to find out I ordered the wrong size, 0/3. I guess I can do some good edge highlighting, and eyes? :v: I dont know how I get something like that wrong.

Time to get some 6mm 40k Epic minis and go nuts with the detail!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

i did not need to spend a billion hours lovingly detailing tiny freehand lightning bolts on these already extremely elaborate models but i did anyway

These look cool as hell. What's your process for the lightning?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Gameko posted:

Really fine narrative paint job. Loving it. Do any of your troops carry on with the jewel motif?

It's a supplement to my weirdly pretty looking Alpha Legion Death Guard - they're all done extremely clean with none of the filth or slime normally associated with the DG. I thought a bunch about how I was going to translate that look to a GUO and settled on gems and metallics rather than the normal organic sliminess, and if I expand further into the nurgle daemon range proper I'll definitely be painting them in a similar fashion.

Zuul the Cat posted:

These look cool as hell. What's your process for the lightning?

Followed the process in this video

Quick summary:

Basecoat Night Lords blue, wash nuln oil, restore night lords blue
Do big blotchy patches of Caledor Sky
Do the lightning in Lothern Blue - small, sharp, jagged lines. Having a really fine point on your brush is really important, shell out for a good brush if you don't have one already. Tiny bit of paint on the absolute tip.
Refine the bolts with Lothern Blue+Ulthuan grey 1:1 mix. These steps get quicker and easier as you go because you're doing less and less area
Highlight the intersections with ulthuan grey
Dots in intersection points with white scar.

I honestly wouldn't ever do this technique on something as busy already as a CSM, you can hardly see the results in the finished product of the video. Save it for things with large, flat surfaces - Skitarii robes would look amazing with it. They also look best if you orient all the lightning bolts to be visible from one angle - not in the same place in each model but like how I've done it so that from the rear shot you'll get to see the completed effect. You don't need to overdo it for it to have a big impact.

(And honestly the lightning was not the most time consuming part of these guys. These guys are actually a lot like the Tempestus Scions in that they've got so many different materials and colours and textures in close proximity that they become extremely time consuming by their very nature. Lightning isn't quick but it doesn't take that long once you've got the rhythm down)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Decided on a whim to start painting miniatures so ordered some basic models and paints from the Warhammer website. Looking at everyones paintings in this thread is ver cool imo

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

EmmyOk posted:

Decided on a whim to start painting miniatures so ordered some basic models and paints from the Warhammer website. Looking at everyones paintings in this thread is ver cool imo

rip your wallet friend

welcome

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

rip your wallet friend

welcome

lol ty ty, might as well use the tech job for something.

Not really interested in the game but the models always looked so fun to paint I always just thought it'd be way too hard but I saw some beginner vids that makes it feel possible.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EmmyOk posted:

You remembered to get a brush as well, right?

And welcome! I'm also in the "painting but not playing" bracket, I find it really relaxing as a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
yeah playing the games is not gonna happen for me but i've loved warhammer and their aesthetic since i first saw a white dwarf when i was like, 6?

now i can blow half my pay on them, finally