Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zesty posted:

Accusation is a weird way to put it. I just wish you were more of a community member trying to sell to us rather than someone who ONLY posts to sell to us.

"I have updated DF Talk for the first time in years"

loving cool. It's been a while and it's good to see this going again.

"Make sure to wishlist. *baby talk*"

Yeah... we know. We specifically talk about the work being done for the Steam version ALL the time. It has made up the bulk of posts in this thread for months. You can treat this like community you can talk with, not consumers.

Stop saying "we" like literally even one person agrees with your little melt down

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You should probably take a step back, really think to yourself "is this really something that's worth getting up in arms about", and take a break.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
turn your monitor on

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
this haunted embark is getting out of hand

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fair enough. I'm clearly not on the pulse of what the community values here. My mistake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The community values smiles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zesty posted:

Fair enough. I'm clearly not on the pulse of what the community values here. My mistake.
I'm not the crazy one here, it's all of youuuuuuuu

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not the crazy one here, it's all of youuuuuuuu

I wasn't saying that at all. I was obviously conceding.

So gently caress right the hell off.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 2, 2020

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I hope Toady one day makes it possible to meet all of one's needs in Adventurer mode. Still not sure how to "take it easy".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

promising carl posted:

I hope Toady one day makes it possible to meet all of one's needs in Adventurer mode. Still not sure how to "take it easy".

Buy a beer and press the . key repeatedly

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GorfZaplen posted:

_/

But really, I'm hype for the new steam version of DF, and I honestly kinda really wanna play, but I'm definitely gonna wait till then, mostly because I wanna see what happens to mitigate dwarf mood spirals, and also because I wanna play it on Steam so I'm supporting Toady.

In the meantime, I'll satiate myself by lurking the DF succession forts and dwarfing myself there.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Post about making Toady smile to make Zesty frown

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I saw the post and made sure to go wishlist df on steam. Because I've gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of the game and would like to give back. Thank you Capntastic for giving me another way to give back.

And forever lol at melting down over being told that you can do something nice for someone else. Truly the smallest hill to die on.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I literally have no idea what just happened.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zesty posted:

What the hell "community values" are you imagining?

The original post that offended you could only go against your values if you have the values of an emotionally disturbed bridge troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Zesty got for real mad because they thought Capntastic wasn't engaging properly or earnest enough with our little thread because he said liking Dwarf Fortress on Steam made Toady smile.

That's really it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

What the hell "community values" are you imagining?

The original post that offended you could only go against your values if you have the values of an emotionally disturbed bridge troll.

well, those were the SA community values 15 years ago, a reputation we've had a hard time escaping due to wonderful folks like lowtax having stuck around and stayed the same even as the rest of us grew the gently caress up

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

GorfZaplen posted:

Ahh so just like real life then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Telsa Cola posted:

What a tantrum spiral looks like in dwarf time

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What a truly bizarre meltdown.

Still at least it got me to check if I'd wishlisted DF, and lo I had forgotten. Which also led me to whatever the gently caress this is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/674930/Boyfriend_Dungeon/?curator_clanid=6856791

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

The gremlin rules. Really makes bridges and lava switches a whole lot more "interesting."

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Glass giant serrated disks are the best trap anyway.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Gobbo confetti cannon, coming soon in HD!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tried weapon traps for the first time in over ten years.

I found that two masterwork copper battleaxes and a giant spiked ball per trap was extremely effective, especially with how many of them I put down. The few goblins that made it through were having mental breakdowns from seeing dozens of their friends turn into hundreds of goblin pieces.

This is wayyyy better than stone/cage traps and a poorly trained military.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

Tried weapon traps for the first time in over ten years.

I found that two masterwork copper battleaxes and a giant spiked ball per trap was extremely effective, especially with how many of them I put down. The few goblins that made it through were having mental breakdowns from seeing dozens of their friends turn into hundreds of goblin pieces.

This is wayyyy better than stone/cage traps and a poorly trained military.

The only problem is that your dwarves are going to have matching breakdowns cleaning all that mess up :v:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pharnakes posted:

The only problem is that your dwarves are going to have matching breakdowns cleaning all that mess up :v:

Except I've edited the raws! I gave them default 5 or 10 (I forget) in the discipline skill. This makes hauling corpses bad but not mind-breakingly bad.

You can also edit Dwarves to be more resilient to stress in general if you want

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
From the monthly report, sounds like Toady is really buckling down on a real-rear end UI overhaul. I'm excited!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
then people will get to play the actual game and realize its 'solved' by building a single farm + a hallways full of stone drop traps and all my mystique of "being the guy who plays dwarf fortress" will vanish

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any confirmation if the Steam version will have a "classic ASCII" graphic mode? Like I imagine once I try the new graphic set I won't wanna go back but there is something mesmerizing about the ASCII tiles that I hope it's preserved and can still be used on Steam.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Popete posted:

Has there been any confirmation if the Steam version will have a "classic ASCII" graphic mode? Like I imagine once I try the new graphic set I won't wanna go back but there is something mesmerizing about the ASCII tiles that I hope it's preserved and can still be used on Steam.

I got you, friend

From DF Talk #23:

quote:

Capntastic: Well I'll be the contrarian, I'll ask the question the question only I care about, will the Steam release have an ASCII option?
Toady: So I think that the thing is that Steam likes to have parity. If you have something somewhere else they want to have it available for their fans too. Or their player base, or customers, whatever you call them these days, it's very complicated learning a new word. So there's going to be, at the very least ... you know how you can pull up a branch or whatever, like experimental branches or other branches when you right click, and go to betas or manage whatever properties or things. There will at the very least be this sort of classic ASCII version over there to play, if you have the game in your Steam library then you'll be able to do that. In terms of like plug-and-play, like click-click-click-click between... Like ... I haven't tried it on Jupiter Hell. I remember that's something that was very important to ChaosForge, to make sure it was like an ASCII roguelike no matter how smooth the graphics were, right.
Capntastic: That's something I have always appreciated.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The community values smiles

I VALUE BLOOD! WE NEED MORE BLOOD EVERYWHERE!
SPLASH IT ON THE WALLS, ON THE FLOORS, ON THE CEILINGS, ON THE MINERS, THE WIDOWS, THE PURRING MAGGOTS, AND THE BABIES!
BLOOD! BLOOD! BLOOD!

And add the game to your Steam Wishlist.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Capntastic posted:

I got you, friend

From DF Talk #23:

That's good to hear. As much as I appreciate the work going into the new art I think I'll always like the ASCII more just because that's how I've done it for over a decade lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Capntastic posted:

I got you, friend

From DF Talk #23:

wow stop shilling

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Seriously, it is getting to be a bit much.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Sankis posted:

Seriously, it is getting to be a bit much.

No not seriously. Everyone here is making GBS threads on you and you don't appear to get it.

Do you want the cap to post or not?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ILL Machina posted:

No not seriously. Everyone here is making GBS threads on you and you don't appear to get it.

Do you want the cap to post or not?

Sankis isn't the guy melting down over DF Talk lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
First toady sells out then the lp subforums allows capitalism and now goons are trying ot get intnernet famous when will capitalism end?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

this poo poo got real weird.