Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

akulanization posted:

So when she said that she doesn’t need to beat him to win 2 pages ago you think she was lying?

Her victory not having anything to do with winning the fight doesn't mean she can't also win the fight. It's pretty fair for the lesser victory to flow from the greater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i somehow didnt catch before that the timey wimey bullshit is done once white chains got her real body, the rain falling straight down instead of suspended in air

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

violent sex idiot posted:

i somehow didnt catch before that the timey wimey bullshit is done once white chains got her real body, the rain falling straight down instead of suspended in air

She exhales, which is how the Ki Rata murder speed ends for a particular user.
Which also implies Solomon didn’t keep going with Total Life Annihilation.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Joe Slowboat posted:

its done the panel before that

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Her victory not having anything to do with winning the fight doesn't mean she can't also win the fight. It's pretty fair for the lesser victory to flow from the greater.
Uh, fair has nothing to do with it. White Chain unlocking Ki Rata and getting the body she wants because she finally resolved her internal conflict between being a peace keeper and protecting the weak is just her getting treats for tangentially related character development.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Darth Walrus posted:

It does certainly look like White Chain took something from Dave, seeing as she now looks so much like she could be his daughter.

These panels are in part a callback to when Allison passed by Incubus and cut him on the cheek

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They also follow vaguely along some of Blaschko's Lines

Which are usually invisible lines that mark the borders between cell growth regions as we develop skin: pigment discoloration conditions like vitiligo therefore often tend to show shapes bordered by the edges of those lines, though never as neatly as what White Chain has (they generally tend to form regions rather than lines)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 3, 2020

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

paranoid randroid posted:

Nyave has this poo poo handled

Nyave is just salivating at the thought of getting to do WC's hair now alongside the dress shopping.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Next book is just going to be a comedy about White Chain learning about pooping

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MikeJF posted:

Next book is just going to be a comedy about White Chain learning about pooping

What a way to end the series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Who What Now posted:

I think you're all missing what's really going to be important in these next few updates: who's going to get White Chain some pants?

There's no way White Chain has studied martial arts for millennia and has not picked up the Piccolo Clothes Beam.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

its done the panel before that

Yeah Dave arm is down and he’s just standing there. Probably going to collapse like a samurai duel

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
relevant content

https://twitter.com/cubmoth/status/1290243623871811584

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Uh, fair has nothing to do with it. White Chain unlocking Ki Rata and getting the body she wants because she finally resolved her internal conflict between being a peace keeper and protecting the weak is just her getting treats for tangentially related character development.

I was responding to your assertion that White Chain saying she did not have to win in order to win implied that it would be narratively unsatisfying if she ended up winning. You are laughably wrong. She fought without attachment to winning. She fought with pure will to do what was right and in so doing she was guranteed to win on a personal level.

This just happens to be a world where fighting in the right frame of mind lets you do crazy magic poo poo.

God this development rules. I hope white chain lives.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Salami Dave getting owned in his own game is good

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m hoping the next page opens with him looking absolutely awestruck at what just happened, and say: “...mag... nificent...”

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

back story on why he's called dave? i love it, just wondering why.

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hegel Exercises posted:

back story on why he's called dave? in love it, just wondering why.

His 'real' or 'birth' or w/e name is Solomon David.

E: I don't know if this is the first reference but it's the first reference I could find

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-1-9/

As for "why," at a deeper level he's the ultimate in paternal, authoritarian government, so of course he's named after both of the greatest and wisest kings of Israel.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 3, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Grouchio posted:

WHAT HAPPENS NOW? :vince:

i just want to see the resulting thorn chaos

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

I was responding to your assertion that White Chain saying she did not have to win in order to win implied that it would be narratively unsatisfying if she ended up winning. You are laughably wrong. She fought without attachment to winning. She fought with pure will to do what was right and in so doing she was guranteed to win on a personal level.

This just happens to be a world where fighting in the right frame of mind lets you do crazy magic poo poo.

I think a big part of what sells it for me is that this is all completely unexpected to her. She threw everything she had into striking the biggest blow to David possible without thought or regard for consequences. She's given up on the goal of actually hitting David and is pouring her whole being into throwing a punch at him just for the sheer sake of defying him with no desire or expectation of success, let alone any intent to kung fu magic herself into a flesh and blood body.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I just think that thematically, given Zoss' speech and the buildup to Solomon David, having him lose at his own game would really undercut the point. The point is that tyrants set up games they can't lose, and beating them at their own game - being better at violence than Solomon David - is never going to actually change the world.

Solomon David getting cut would be kind of basic and if there's anything this last page wasn't, it's basic.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
White Chain learned the white art. That's how she could transform. Being forced to confront her rigid mindset so much lately gave her the self-knowledge she needed to finally change herself.

It's an interesting contrast with 6 Juggernaut who had her own internal conflict but focused on changing external things.

As for SD, even if he was cut (which is fine, he'd just use martial arts bullshit to prevent any blood from seeping out), I think he'll declare the fight over after witnessing something genuinely new.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hegel Exercises posted:

back story on why he's called dave? i love it, just wondering why.

It's King Solomon's full name.

We call him Dave because it's fun to give a diminutive nickname to an extremely high-status character in any story.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

It's pretty clear that White Chain herself didn't know that punching Solly would result in gaining a human body. I think her line was simply stating that the mere act of her resisting Solomon was her victory itself regardless of whether she "won" the fight or not. To that end I agree with Neddy that WC was clearly aiming for Solomon's face and got a lot more out of the bargain than she expected.

edit: which begs the question what would have happened if the blow had done more than miss/glance Solomon's cheek? Would White Chain have exploded out of Solomon like Gog Agog?

I was pointing out that trying to sacrifice her shell to get on good hit in is a plan to win the fight. I read it as, as you said, her continued resistance to Solomon and a refusal to stop punching just because her shell was falling apart.

Straight White Shark posted:

I think a big part of what sells it for me is that this is all completely unexpected to her. She threw everything she had into striking the biggest blow to David possible without thought or regard for consequences. She's given up on the goal of actually hitting David and is pouring her whole being into throwing a punch at him just for the sheer sake of defying him with no desire or expectation of success, let alone any intent to kung fu magic herself into a flesh and blood body.

This is my reading too. We have characters that care deeply about winning and they all suck; there is no better way to demonstrate that Incubus and Solomon are wrong than to have White Chain win without actually accomplishing the stated victory conditions of the fight. Both WC and Allison had moments of personal growth when they let go of their desire to win by Solomon’s rules in this book. It would be very narratively unsatisfying if there was a victory on his terms.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

White Chain learned the white art. That's how she could transform. Being forced to confront her rigid mindset so much lately gave her the self-knowledge she needed to finally change herself.

Minor thing but I think you might mean the black art. That’s the on that can create life; the white art’s arbitrary domain is division iirc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't think it's a problem if she also achieves victory on his terms, by accident, and then immediately walks away from it because She Does Not Give A poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress YES

Unrelated:
The latest chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen has someone who understands royalty

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

akulanization posted:

Minor thing but I think you might mean the black art. That’s the on that can create life; the white art’s arbitrary domain is division iirc.
Funny, I thought it was black first too. I looked it up though and white covers changing oneself (as well as lightning speed, which WC also demonstrated, and teleportation). Red is transforming other things. Black is creation from nothing. No one knows how to do it.

Yet.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

"My fist is the fist that creates myself."

I'm throwing away any predictions for what happens next and just rolling with it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't think it's a problem if she also achieves victory on his terms, by accident, and then immediately walks away from it because She Does Not Give A poo poo.

I think this undermines it because it pretty much says 'by being a cool person you also get the power to punch dictators' - it's boring and pat to say 'right makes might' because like... what if it doesn't? Zoss wasn't saying 'stop trying to punch the wheel into shape, because if you focus on actual growth, invention, and mutuality, you will PUNCH SO MUCH loving HARDER HELLLLL YEAAAAAAAAH'

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, it ain't exactly "destroying the grand enemy called 'I.'"

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

He did go through with Total Life Annihilation. White Chain got herself so killed she wrapped around to the other side, like an underflow error.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Tagichatn posted:

The opposite of Enkidel.
...I swear to you I was just thinking of this and asked it on Discord mere moments before I stumbled on this post...

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 4, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

IMJack posted:

He did go through with Total Life Annihilation. White Chain got herself so killed she wrapped around to the other side, like an underflow error.

this is the rough equivalent of the bug in Civilization I that made Gandhi SO peaceful that it wrapped around in the code and made him a nuke-crazy psychopath

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Terry Pratchett made a bunch of "overflow/underflow error" type of jokes, from simple things like clothing being such a deep black it started being colors on the far side of black, to a person being so horribly sober they were knurd and needing a drink or three just to bring them back to being functional.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

Wittgen posted:

I'm not akulanization.

I think it's bad writing because it contradicts the established rules of the story. If she was truly fighting without attachment to self or victory, then why would her apotheosis grant her the body she always wanted? If she had fully annihilated her ego and desire in order to land one perfect strike as Meti teaches, why would the result be to grant her something she had been clinging to before experiencing ego loss? If she still had attachment to her feminine self-concept and desire for acceptance, then by definition she shouldn't be able to do a Meti Special Cut.

It hasn't worked this way for Meti, Intra, or any of the other characters who are implied or stated to have been able to achieve moments of perfect zen. All of them seemed pretty down on it after having done it. White Chain being able to strike a God because she struck without attachment is something that makes sense in the context of the rest of the story. Doing so resulting in the fulfillment of her desires unrelated to striking a perfect blow doesn't; it's just the universe giving her treats.

Now, Solomon David may be the one person in the universe where punching him in the face actually can grant your desires, apparently instantaneously and without you having to tell him what you want, but the whole joke was that anyone still clinging to desire would never be able to touch him. That's the point, that was what made the Ring of Power a farce.

I get that Abbadon really wanted to give White Chain this moment from the start, both out of personal affection for the character and because he knew his audience would mostly love it, but I really feel like it undercuts the whole "don't play the Demiurges' game, even victory is just a trap" theme Zoss has been banging on the whole time.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not akulanization.

I think it's bad writing because it contradicts the established rules of the story. If she was truly fighting without attachment to self or victory, then why would her apotheosis grant her the body she always wanted? If she had fully annihilated her ego and desire in order to land one perfect strike as Meti teaches, why would the result be to grant her something she had been clinging to before experiencing ego loss? If she still had attachment to her feminine self-concept and desire for acceptance, then by definition she shouldn't be able to do a Meti Special Cut.

It hasn't worked this way for Meti, Intra, or any of the other characters who are implied or stated to have been able to achieve moments of perfect zen. All of them seemed pretty down on it after having done it. White Chain being able to strike a God because she struck without attachment is something that makes sense in the context of the rest of the story. Doing so resulting in the fulfillment of her desires unrelated to striking a perfect blow doesn't; it's just the universe giving her treats.

Now, Solomon David may be the one person in the universe where punching him in the face actually can grant your desires, apparently instantaneously and without you having to tell him what you want, but the whole joke was that anyone still clinging to desire would never be able to touch him. That's the point, that was what made the Ring of Power a farce.

I get that Abbadon really wanted to give White Chain this moment from the start, both out of personal affection for the character and because he knew his audience would mostly love it, but I really feel like it undercuts the whole "don't play the Demiurges' game, even victory is just a trap" theme Zoss has been banging on the whole time.

Or, perhaps, you've misunderstood Zoss's lesson somewhat.

No, it is the author who is wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1290280550503071746?s=20

It's been said repeatedly in supplementary text that any amount of distraction breaks the ki rata bullshit trance, and I think it's reasonable to guess that both participants are a bit distracted at the moment.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i think if your read of the text of the comic and below-comic supplements so far is "the people on high know 100% what they're talking about and everyone involved is doomed to not get what they want", your read may be a bit flawed

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think it matters if she "won" here or not.

One previously well-attested way to draw blood from the Strongest Kung Fu Guy Ever is by attaining Royalty as understood by the masters of Sword Law - eat, breathe, and poo poo as someone who is cutting Solomon David. No hesitation, no awareness, no self. That's more or less the opposite of what White Chain has done here.

I mean, sure, it could still work for all any of us knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think it's bad writing because it contradicts the established rules of the story.
Established rules are falsehoods to be shattered, ignored, or circumvented. If you haven't figured that out by now then I don't know how to help you.

quote:

It hasn't worked this way for Meti, Intra, or any of the other characters who are implied or stated to have been able to achieve moments of perfect zen.
"It" (meaning pursuit of and/or achieving Royalty) hasn't worked like this in the past? That's kind of the point. Following a trail blazed by another is perhaps the least Royal thing one can do.

quote:

I really feel like it undercuts the whole "don't play the Demiurges' game, even victory is just a trap" theme Zoss has been banging on the whole time.
Zoss isn't exactly the ultimate authority on anything, except for conquering heaven. His word is not immutable truth.

quote:

If she had fully annihilated her ego and desire in order to land one perfect strike as Meti teaches, why would the result be to grant her something she had been clinging to before experiencing ego loss?
Meti isn't qualified to teach anything but Sword Law. She'd be the first to tell you this. It is beyond foolish to think that Meti's mastery of Sword Law, if it even led to Royalty at all, is the only way to get there.
At no point have we had reason to believe that White Chain just really, really wanted to be human. She didn't become flesh on purpose. This is not some magical wish-fulfillment, it is something miraculous and confusing and unprecedented. How and why it happened, exactly, remains to be seen (if it even gets explained). So please do us all a favor and stop acting like you know exactly what's going on.