Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just wanted to post a reminder that it is important to make sure your car seats are installed properly. Safety first!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kid has now taught himself to sleep consistently with no effort on our part? We have done nothing, he's 11 weeks old, and he now puts himself to sleep around 830 and sleeps til 1 or 2. He then eats a massive amount of formula, then sleeps again. He's done it every night for over a week now.

The only downside is he now thinkts 630-10am is playtime....

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You sonofabitch. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

devmd01 posted:

Just wanted to post a reminder that it is important to make sure your car seats are installed properly. Safety first!!!

*camera pans over to kid wedged in footwell*

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

priznat posted:

*camera pans over to kid wedged in footwell*

Look, the liquor store is only 2.5 miles away, what do you expect me to do?!?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Our kid has now taught himself to sleep consistently with no effort on our part? We have done nothing, he's 11 weeks old, and he now puts himself to sleep around 830 and sleeps til 1 or 2. He then eats a massive amount of formula, then sleeps again. He's done it every night for over a week now.

My twins were like this at first. Congratulations by the way!

Twins are 13 months old now and they will sleep 6:30 to 6:30-7 now thankfully. 9 month sleep regression + teething + flu + twins was the worst we had it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We lucked out with our daughter. We say it's time for bed and she gathers up everything she needs and takes herself to her room. Now staying asleep all night it's like Russian roulette. Some nights she'll sleep through the night and others she wakes up all the time. No difference in days. I think she just wants to test us.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bomb posted:

My twins were like this at first. Congratulations by the way!

Twins are 13 months old now and they will sleep 6:30 to 6:30-7 now thankfully. 9 month sleep regression + teething + flu + twins was the worst we had it.

You suck too!

Our twins were awful for sleep, if I didn’t wake up immediately at first cry on the monitor and sprint across the house, that kid would wake the other one up and the wife and I would be up for half an hour or more trying to get them back down.

Twins are awesome and at 3+ years right now they are a ton of fun but drat if the first year wasn’t pure hell.

Nowadays between all three kids we are pretty much guaranteed solitude after 8PM but it took some work to get there.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 2, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

devmd01 posted:

If that beer is old enough to sit forward-facing then I don't want to drink it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

If that beer is old enough to sit forward-facing then I don't want to drink it.

I know I can Google it, but what is the forward-facing age?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

“Delayed as long as possible” is what I’ve always been told. Depends on the weight and height more than age, and is only when it’s basically impossible to fit comfortably in rear facing. Each jurisdiction has their own official guidelines if you want to go by those and they probably have some small differences.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

priznat posted:

“Delayed as long as possible” is what I’ve always been told. Depends on the weight and height more than age, and is only when it’s basically impossible to fit comfortably in rear facing. Each jurisdiction has their own official guidelines if you want to go by those and they probably have some small differences.

Yeah I just did some research and it looks like the advice is "until you can't" which for the seat we have means 7 more pounds or a few more inches in height.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah I just did some research and it looks like the advice is "until you can't" which for the seat we have means 7 more pounds or a few more inches in height.

Yeah some kids are long and light and others short and heavy so it could be one or the other limit gets hit first. All our kids still were well below the weight limit but the leg positions were basically impossible at a certain point.

Then forward seat is usually good to 65lb but we usually outgrow it in height first too and get a booster with a back and 5 point that can convert to seatbelt. That’ll be good til practically the tween years!

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

devmd01 posted:

You suck too!

Our twins were awful for sleep, if I didn’t wake up immediately at first cry on the monitor and sprint across the house, that kid would wake the other one up and the wife and I would be up for half an hour or more trying to get them back down.

Twins are awesome and at 3+ years right now they are a ton of fun but drat if the first year wasn’t pure hell.

Nowadays between all three kids we are pretty much guaranteed solitude after 8PM but it took some work to get there.

We are having our third in December/January did you have the twins first or the singlet?

Day time napping is like you describe my son is sensitive to any light at all and doesn’t let his sister sleep sometimes.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah some kids are long and light and others short and heavy so it could be one or the other limit gets hit first. All our kids still were well below the weight limit but the leg positions were basically impossible at a certain point.

Then forward seat is usually good to 65lb but we usually outgrow it in height first too and get a booster with a back and 5 point that can convert to seatbelt. That’ll be good til practically the tween years!

I KNEW it was too soon to move our son, but I was hoping he was in the height range since forward facing will be easier for everyone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what point are they going to build cars where all the passenger seats face backwards

I'm a little surprised that minivans don't come with the option to mount the rear bench in the middle, backwards, and the captains chairs in the rear, also backwards. Little fuckers are probably a lot more bearable on long car rides when they're in the back of the van screaming into a wall rather than your ear

Model S offered third row rear facing seating for short kids up to...5'4"? But I think that's since been discontinued? We were looking at the Model S used as a kid carrier but you can't retrofit jump seats, it has to be ordered from the factory

This article has some decent photos of it in use

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/09/17/tesla-model-s-2020-plaid-rear-facing-seats-elon-musk/amp/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bomb posted:

We are having our third in December/January did you have the twins first or the singlet?

Day time napping is like you describe my son is sensitive to any light at all and doesn’t let his sister sleep sometimes.

Had the single girl first before the fraternal twin boys, she actually turns six tomorrow!

Christ where has the time gone, that saying is 100% accurate: “The days are long but the years are short.”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

2 years old, here, but yeah basically hold out as long as possible because it's safer.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

L0cke17 posted:

I would have paid any amount of money if my child slept until 6:30 instead of 5:00.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Cheesus posted:

I would have paid any amount of money if my child slept until 6:30 instead of 5:00.

Yes that would be very nice.

Anyone have any tips on dropping night feedings? I don’t think our 15mo old needs them, but she gets up almost every night around 3:30. She had dropped it for a while but then teeth happened and it showed back up. She can put herself to sleep ok, but is pretty stubborn about these feeds and tbh we are real weak that time of morning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pregnant wife is getting increasingly panicky about the house being ready for the baby. Any tips? We are about 6 months along, nursery is already decked out with crib, dresser, decorations etc

We have a couple other big ticket items arriving in the next couple of weeks, new couch, new washer dryer, getting a bigger car, already ordered, just waiting on delivery etc

Tried going over each of the items on the list and walking though the facts that we had already done most of the work for each thing, i.e. ordering it, etc

Non hormonal me is feeling pretty good about everything, we are 3 months out from delivery, most everything is prepped or ordered to deliver in the next 6 weeks depsite covid delays etc. Sister in law is organizing the baby shower and she's quite good at that kind of thing.

There's no diapers or formula in the house yet (only just hit the 6 month mark) but I'd say we're 75-85% prepped, with 90 days to go, am I being unreasonable? Seems really easy to pin this in pregnancy hormones on my part

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Hadlock posted:

Pregnant wife is getting increasingly panicky about the house being ready for the baby. Any tips? We are about 6 months along, nursery is already decked out with crib, dresser, decorations etc

We have a couple other big ticket items arriving in the next couple of weeks, new couch, new washer dryer, getting a bigger car, already ordered, just waiting on delivery etc

Tried going over each of the items on the list and walking though the facts that we had already done most of the work for each thing, i.e. ordering it, etc

Non hormonal me is feeling pretty good about everything, we are 3 months out from delivery, most everything is prepped or ordered to deliver in the next 6 weeks depsite covid delays etc. Sister in law is organizing the baby shower and she's quite good at that kind of thing.

There's no diapers or formula in the house yet (only just hit the 6 month mark) but I'd say we're 75-85% prepped, with 90 days to go, am I being unreasonable? Seems really easy to pin this in pregnancy hormones on my part

Yeah probably but don’t put it like that. Get her to write down what she thinks you are missing? Sometimes it is easy to panic when the issues are abstract, so make them concrete and they might not seem so scary.

Baby won’t know if you’re missing a few things. We had a complete bathroom remodel when my first was 6 weeks old, had a porta loo and porta shower on the front lawn, no other bathroom facilities. We survived and baby was none the wiser.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

At what point are they going to build cars where all the passenger seats face backwards

I'm a little surprised that minivans don't come with the option to mount the rear bench in the middle, backwards, and the captains chairs in the rear, also backwards. Little fuckers are probably a lot more bearable on long car rides when they're in the back of the van screaming into a wall rather than your ear

Model S offered third row rear facing seating for short kids up to...5'4"? But I think that's since been discontinued? We were looking at the Model S used as a kid carrier but you can't retrofit jump seats, it has to be ordered from the factory

This article has some decent photos of it in use

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/09/17/tesla-model-s-2020-plaid-rear-facing-seats-elon-musk/amp/

The seat, seatbelt, headrest, and other supplemental restraint systems are very carefully designed to work in one direction - where your body continues forward against the seatbelt and the pretensioner holds you in place, and pushes you back in to the seat as the headrest moves forward to prevent your head from whiplashing back too much. When you turn the seat around, the systems do not work in the same way. That's why configurable seats don't really exist anymore. Back when they were a thing, engineering for safety was also not really a thing!

The reason rear-facing seats have mostly gone away, with the exception of special order Volvo V90/V90XC, MB E-Class, and the Model S is that they're not all that safe. Smaller kids are better off in boosters front facing surrounded by side curtain airbags within the primary safety cage of the car. Take a look at a rear-end collisions in Model S. The passenger compartment is intact, and if your kid was in a booster they would be fine, maybe some bumps and bruises. Then look at the trunk area where the rear facing seats would be. Your kid would quite literally be dead.

tl;dr: don't put your kids in rear-facing vehicle seats

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hadlock posted:

All the baby does is eat and poop for a while, they don't require much. Mine never even sleep in the nursery for a few months for ease of breastfeeding, which is really the only suggestion I have for you: put the crib in your room if you have space.

List making is good advice for every season.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man, our baby has been so good at sleeping, I've been afraid to jinx it by mentioning it to people. But at 20 months, we've encountered an unexpected hiccup: She now wakes up when she needs to pee in the morning. So, at 5:30 AM I'm awoken by a toddler standing in her crib, yelling "poopy"! (Yeah she can't tell one from the other, yet.) So, off to the potty we go, the diaper is dry and she goes in the potty, but of course she doesn't want to go back to sleep after.

Before this started happening, she would consistently sleep until 6:30 or 7 (with a wet diaper, most of the time).

I guess I should be glad she has some bladder control at such a young age, but what to do with this? I don't want to "train" her to keep peeing her diapers if this is actually a chance to get her dry early.

(On a more positive note, today was the first time I've heard her call out nap-time. I guess mommy was not quick enough at putting her to bed after lunch. )

PerniciousKnid posted:

the only suggestion I have for you: put the crib in your room if you have space.

Seconded. This is the common practice in my country, and I wouldn't put a small baby in a separate room unless she turned out to be a very noisy sleeper or something.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 3, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

This is pretty classic over-prepping-for-first-baby syndrome.

Good to have all that stuff, but other than diapers or formula and a changing station (which, for our second baby, just became "the floor") you aren't going to use jack poo poo really. The nursery will be good for some cute pictures, but will likely be just a store room until 4 months or so in.

Also: if this isn't on your register... put it on there. This helped us survive the first four months with both babies. Put it in the room with you and baby... it projects ocean caustics on the ceiling and has either good oceans sounds or some actually pretty soft music.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Tranqu...96462389&sr=8-1

I buy this for *every* friend having a new baby (it's what someone did for us) and it's been a godsend every time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a mommy station thing? My wife basically lived out of hers for the first couple months and it made a huge difference. We just used a rolling IKEA cart but anything of similar size/shape will work.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/raskog-utility-cart-black-90333976/

Beyond that, just basic comfort/quality of life stuff. You can stock up on diapers in advance but don't go too crazy because you never know how fast your kid will grow.

Other than yeah she's probably hitting the nesting energy phase of things, just stay out of the way and be helpful where you can be.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

One thing you may want to do in a month or two is do a few bulk batches of freezable, ready-to-heat-and-eat food. ‘Don’t Worry, Dinner’s in the Freezer’ is good, but there are a bunch of resources out there. Having something that you can thaw and nuke and then have a honest-to-god non granola bar meal is really nice.

Food from family/friends was pretty front loaded and we found it very helpful and humanizing to have some meals ready.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Cheesus posted:

He doesnt sleep til 630. He is usually awake between 330 and 5, but he wants food then, not to have us dance for his entertainment.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Hadlock posted:

If you havent even had the baby shower yet, wait until after to start the follow up about what she thinks is missing, etc. I got pretty panicky after we passed viability (24w) because OH GOD WE CAN HAVE A BABY AT LITERALLY ANY MOMENT NOW AND ITD LIFE AND WE DONT HAVE ANY BABY WASHCLOTHS. I don't think any amount of actual reasoning would have mattered because the rational part of my brain was beaten into submission by worry that we were going to gently caress everything up by not being ready.

Baby #2 we bought a carseat, some diapers, a bassinet, and a baby carrier. It is legitimately hilarious how that ultralevel prepper energy drops off after the 1st.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup and so much of the baby equipment is totally superfluous. I think it was my sister who told me the wipes warmer would only ever be bought by someone who has never actually had a kid, either for the first or for a baby shower.

And it’s true, all the baby shower gifts from people who already had kids were the more useful things, stuff like more small blankets or clothes and not gizmos or toys (which can be incredibly hit or miss and they don’t even care about them before 3 months anyway).

If it has batteries it will either be useless or annoying (or both). (Not including baby monitor handsets)

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We didn’t even use our nursery until the twins were out of the bassinet in our room. Nesting anxiety is real also if there isn’t anything to nest.

It's like a 30 minute trip through target for anything you would need.

bomb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 3, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

One thing you may want to do in a month or two is do a few bulk batches of freezable, ready-to-heat-and-eat food. ‘Don’t Worry, Dinner’s in the Freezer’ is good, but there are a bunch of resources out there. Having something that you can thaw and nuke and then have a honest-to-god non granola bar meal is really nice.

Food from family/friends was pretty front loaded and we found it very helpful and humanizing to have some meals ready.

In addition, consider easy to make meals. Like, if you have a rice cooker then have rice stocked up. Also Dad-friendly meal planning; Dad only knows how to make pancakes, make sure you have those ingredients.

Make sure you have sufficient bedding, change table covers and clothes, for when the baby shits all over everything six times a day. I was hand washing change table covers a lot for the first kid. That phase doesn't last forever but I still think it's worth preparing for.

Might also think ahead to solids. We used very small containers to hold blended vegetables, and also an ice cube tray to freeze some.

Make sure Daddy knows how to pay any bills due the first couple weeks in case Mommy is bedridden. Make sure you know the parental leave/FMLA procedures at work. Try to get ahead on chores like mowing or dusting around the due date, if you can. Especially annual maintenance type stuff like cleaning out the dryer or changing filters.

Edit: Replace the car battery if it's old. Make sure you have enough gas, that's less than a month old.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

bomb posted:

It's like a 30 minute trip through target for anything you would need.

The big part of prepping is to make sure that you don't have to leave the house to run minor errands during the first week or two. Prepare as many meals as your freezer can hold. Buy a few different sizes of diaper for week 1. Make sure your car seat is properly installed and it doesn't hurt to have it inspected by your local police station if they offer that. The first month+ is crazy. The sleep deprivation is real. Prepare for the minor things now and your future self will thank you.

Also, you might think her due date is far away, and it is, but premature birth is a thing. Also, think about how you will support your wife during the first 1-3 months in case she gets PPD.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Make sure you have sufficient bedding, change table covers and clothes, for when the baby shits all over everything six times a day. I was hand washing change table covers a lot for the first kid. That phase doesn't last forever but I still think it's worth preparing for.

Yeah we ordered one of these LG sidekick washers to stick under our regular washer specifically for washing baby poo poo items

https://www.reviewed.com/laundry/features/lgs-sidekick-is-a-washer-under-your-washer

Also for food, the elevator in our building goes down to the ground floor, which literally opens up into a major chain grocery store. About two months into moving here I stopped calling it "the grocery store" and now we just call it "downstairs". Last week we were making tacos and mid-cooking I ran downstairs to buy more tortillas and was back up in 3 minutes. Not sure how that will work with the baby, as the dairy asile is probably outside of baby monitor range. But at least we don't need to get in the car to buy stuff. Major downside is that our grocery store closes at 10pm now, due to covid

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Any advice on dealing with a toddler in a cast? My ~21 month old slipped this morning at daycare and twisted his knee - he's in a temporary cast for at least week, at which point they'll do another x-ray to see if he needs it for 3-5 additional weeks.

He was pretty upset this morning and throughout the doctor visit but otherwise seems fine now. We'll be following the instructions carefully to hopefully stave off any further problems. Mostly I'm just worried that it will stunt his physical growth and/or his energy - he's a really active kid and not being able to run around with his friends at daycare or at home like he usually does seems like it could be damaging in a lot of ways.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Remind him that he will be able to run and play very soon! Collecting cast signatures from his actions figures and stuffed animals could be a fun time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I broke my arm (twice, in one summer) in fifth grade, I was surprised at the number of activities I wasn't allowed to participate in. Apparently the fiberglass cast is basically a club and a huge insurance risk. So get used to hearing that. Might be different for a leg cast.

Is it a full break, or a "green tree fracture"?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It's a toddler fracture, so a green tree thing? They couldn't actually see anything on the x-ray because babies are made of rubber but he's obviously in pain putting weight on it or moving it too much so there's something there.

They don't do fiberglass casts at this hospital for some reason but the normal one is fine. I've never broken a bone in my entire life so all of this is new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

BadSamaritan posted:

Yes that would be very nice.

Anyone have any tips on dropping night feedings? I don’t think our 15mo old needs them, but she gets up almost every night around 3:30. She had dropped it for a while but then teeth happened and it showed back up. She can put herself to sleep ok, but is pretty stubborn about these feeds and tbh we are real weak that time of morning.

I pretty much did it cold turkey. When she woke up I would turn her white noise / light machine on and it has a 20 min timer. Rock her until it was off, then put her in bed. If she slept, yay! If she cried, I let her cry for no more than 21 min. If she was still crying, rinse repeat. Never took more than 2 cycles. Took a few nights for her to figure it out. I was cranky and slightly sleep deprived for a few days.