Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

redreader posted:

I didn't think rod and reel upgrades were available, I'll look them up, thanks! I'm on chapter 5 now and I don't remember getting much further than this before.

Edit: what's the dlc tier list? I don't think any dlc existed when I last played this game. Anything worth getting?

From what I understand, the partner DLC is good, the Ardyn DLC isn't.

There's supposedly obvious points to play the Gladio and Prompto DLC, while Ignis is best saved after beating the game since it's spoilery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kanfy posted:

If memory serves "hate" is the primary word used for enemy aggro in Japanese so that only makes sense.
Hate dates back to Everquest if not MUDs in english. But a list of your haters is a delightful transliteration.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got the Dark Clouds trophy, although I definitely remember finishing the enemy base car retreival mission just before that. I must have tooled around instead of going to the city, and then stopped playing. The dream was pretty cool.

I'm definitely enjoying FFXV. Is it worth grinding anything up at this point (fishing, races, etc?) or should I just go on with the story i.e.take the boat?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redreader posted:

I just got the Dark Clouds trophy, although I definitely remember finishing the enemy base car retreival mission just before that. I must have tooled around instead of going to the city, and then stopped playing. The dream was pretty cool.

I'm definitely enjoying FFXV. Is it worth grinding anything up at this point (fishing, races, etc?) or should I just go on with the story i.e.take the boat?

The boat is not the point of no return per se, and at the very end of the game youll meet a magic dog who lets you travel back and do everything you missed+ the post game content

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

redreader posted:

You can beat the game easily at basically any level with enough potions and healing items.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

zedprime posted:

Hate dates back to Everquest if not MUDs in english. But a list of your haters is a delightful transliteration.

Yeah, I imagine it probably stuck there from those times while most of the English-speaking world switched to saying "aggro" which granted is a pretty clunky word to say in Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I dunno, 'aguro' seems simple enough. But they probably just didn't see any reason to change it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I imagine it probably stuck there from those times while most of the English-speaking world switched to saying "aggro" which granted is a pretty clunky word to say in Japanese.
The thing with loan words is as long as they serve a purpose it doesn't matter how up-to-date they are. For a similar example, in Japanese they still call capacitors condensers because that was the word that came in first.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

RillAkBea posted:

The thing with loan words is as long as they serve a purpose it doesn't matter how up-to-date they are. For a similar example, in Japanese they still call capacitors condensers because that was the word that came in first.

I feel like that tends to apply to words in general, and either way slang and casual speech tend to lean towards words that are easier to say, so if none of the words are native to your own language anyway then it stands to reason for the early and simple ones to stick.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol the streamer I was watching play FFX-2 ended up at the final boss with 48% completion, died to the final boss, and then gave up because the autosave was locked into the Bad Ending cutscene.

I guess there's probably still enough content I haven't seen to warrant playing the game myself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironically: the 100% ending is the Bad Ending and if it gnaws at you too bad just youtube.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Unironically: the 100% ending is the Bad Ending and if it gnaws at you too bad just youtube.

Unironically it's actually super good and ties together Yuna's arc with Spira's arc and the entire moral themes of FFX and X-2.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the 100% ending is good :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A two game series about how human sacrifice is awful and stupid and just breaks every single person they're connected to even if it's done for good reasons and fixing the mistakes and tragedies of the past connects the protagonist's character arc directly to that theme. It's cool and good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yuna deserves to have everything she wants so the ending is good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yuna should always be sad and morose and most importantly single

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The 100% ending is good because Tidus is hot. There, I said it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hate Tidus and his dumb pants.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tidus rules but Im glad hes dead and Yuna gets to move on and live a life for herself

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you get the 100% ending then canonically tidus kills himself with an exploding blitzball and then sin comes back to life, which does not happen if you get any other ending

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
yuna can have little a tidus, as a treat

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the game should be about the al bhed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hogama posted:

yuna can have little a tidus, as a treat

My childishness does not allow me to read this in anyway except as a peter sellers sex farce kind of double entendre joke.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Tidus rules but Im glad hes dead and Yuna gets to move on and live a life for herself

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyrus Malus posted:

I just started Shadowbringers and lmao goddamn what an insane lead-in and concept for an xpac, this rules. not sure why I spoilered this

The awesome has barely begun. You're in for a real treat and the expansion is one of the best Final Fantasy stories period.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A two game series about how human sacrifice is awful and stupid and just breaks every single person they're connected to even if it's done for good reasons and fixing the mistakes and tragedies of the past connects the protagonist's character arc directly to that theme. It's cool and good.

Counterpoint the major theme of Final Fantasy X-2 was not letting the past control your life and moving forward so bringing back the dead boyfriend instead of Yuna moving on directly spits in the face of the centeral theme of the game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

the game should be about the al bhed

It sort of is at least.

FFX Cid is a top tier cid too.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Counterpoint the major theme of Final Fantasy X-2 was not letting the past control your life and moving forward so bringing back the dead boyfriend instead of Yuna moving on directly spits in the face of the centeral theme of the game.

FFX-2 isn't about not letting the past control your life; it's about living life for your own reasons and figuring out what those are. Yuna joined the Gullwings because she didn't have any idea what she wanted to do with her life now that she wasn't committing ritual suicide like she thought. the Tidus stuff was ancillary but not ultimately defining to that end

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really enjoying tooling around, fishing and doing hunts in ffxv. I found another royal weapon so that's cool. Finally found the shop where I can upgrade my reel and rod. I think I'm a little over leveled so I should probably just get on the ferry before it gets too ridiculous. Anyway, fantastic game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

redreader posted:

I'm really enjoying tooling around, fishing and doing hunts in ffxv. I found another royal weapon so that's cool. Finally found the shop where I can upgrade my reel and rod. I think I'm a little over leveled so I should probably just get on the ferry before it gets too ridiculous. Anyway, fantastic game.

I would suggest finishing all of Cindy's quests you can for extra brotactular fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yuna dies from a peanut allergy shortly before the events of Final Fantasy X-4, a dating Sim where Brother tries to find a wife (with whom he father's Cloud Strife).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

You misread the major theme. It's about fixing the mistakes of the past. Almost every part of it is about finding some long buried evil or gently caress up (Usually tied to some act of self sacrifice or revenge for it) and putting it right finally, and since both the ending of X and the entirety of how Yuna acts about it in X-2 frames Tidus's keeping his sacrifice a secret until it was too late as something that mirrors Yuna's pilgrimage (IE Bad) it rolls into X-2's plot and themes of Not Just Moving On, But Fixing Things Instead.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just started Lightning Returns and the timer is really throwing me for a loop. The game beats you over the head with the fact that you have limited time and can't save everyone but you can only level up by doing quests, then you try to do the main quests and the game is all uh oh cant do anything until tomorrow now, if tomorrow even exists, who knows, better do some sidequests I guess?

Edit: Also I started on normal difficulty because I thought it was normal difficulty :negative:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 4, 2020

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

RillAkBea posted:

I just started Lightning Returns and the timer is really throwing me for a loop. The game beats you over the head with the fact that you have limited time and can't save everyone but you can only level up by doing quests, then you try to do the main quests and the game is all uh oh cant do anything until tomorrow now, if tomorrow even exists, who knows, better do some sidequests I guess?

Edit: Also I started on normal difficulty because I thought it was normal difficulty :negative:

The timer is anxiety-inducing at first, until you start using the time stop ability (I forget the name). With judicious use of this ability and fighting enemies to regain EP, you shouldn’t have much trouble getting everything done including lots of side quests before time is up.

I actually just finished LR last month (following my first FF13-2 playthrough, wherein i platinumed the game, which is something I hardly ever do),and I was pleasantly surprised how much I loved both sequels, considering the original FF13 left a bad taste in my mouth when I beat it a decade ago.

But I decided to give the original another shot and I’m really enjoying it this time around; the negatives of the game don’t bug me at all now and the battles are incredibly fun. It’s also nice to actually have an idea of where the story is going to go in the future so the plot issues in the first one can be ignored for the most part. And my god the graphics really hold up 10 years later, it’s a beautiful game.

FF13 is good y’all.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FF13 gets a bad rep but I enjoyed it, despite it finding a way to beat FF10 in the "linear as gently caress" category.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Boy of Joy posted:

The timer is anxiety-inducing at first, until you start using the time stop ability (I forget the name). With judicious use of this ability and fighting enemies to regain EP, you shouldn’t have much trouble getting everything done including lots of side quests before time is up.

I actually just finished LR last month (following my first FF13-2 playthrough, wherein i platinumed the game, which is something I hardly ever do),and I was pleasantly surprised how much I loved both sequels, considering the original FF13 left a bad taste in my mouth when I beat it a decade ago.

But I decided to give the original another shot and I’m really enjoying it this time around; the negatives of the game don’t bug me at all now and the battles are incredibly fun. It’s also nice to actually have an idea of where the story is going to go in the future so the plot issues in the first one can be ignored for the most part. And my god the graphics really hold up 10 years later, it’s a beautiful game.

FF13 is good y’all.

FF13 is good.

I ended up fast-forwarding Lightning Returns and restarting on Easy because I got pissed off with everything 1-shotting me for anything less than a frame perfect block and losing time because I had to escape once I ran out of healing items. I actually really like the game overall I'd just like to take combat at a more leisurely pace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Easy is probably for the best with your experience but one can build around frame perfect blocks and get a tanky outfit that outresists everything but end boss stuff innately. Perfect block is more for keeping going in a physical or magical outfit without changing to the tanky one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Easy is probably for the best with your experience but one can build around frame perfect blocks and get a tanky outfit that outresists everything but end boss stuff innately. Perfect block is more for keeping going in a physical or magical outfit without changing to the tanky one.

Perfect Blocking/Parrying also lets you just....poo poo on every BIg mnonster. You can instant stagger the Anubis guys, Knock down the dragons and cut their tails off, gently caress up behemoths.

LR is hte only game I've gotten into trying to speed run cause it's so fun once you get good at fights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I played FFXIII ages ago and enjoyed it a lot, but I am not enjoying it as much on a second playthrough. It feels very restrictive, there's one route, there aren't a lot of tactical decisions you can make, your crystarium choices don't seem to matter a huge amount. And the fights take a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

And the fights take a long time.

Get good.