Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

why do people strip out THEN I LIFT from it so much

in fact there's a v simple answer

graey alien posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PIZZA.BAT posted:

like most things like this the egyptians had One Weird Trick and that trick was water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1y8N0ePuF8

heck yea humans are pretty clever

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

quote:

the mercurial Musk

:d2a:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

literal clown shoes

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINTER. THEN I LIFT

lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I wish he was stranded on Mercury.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

On the pyramids I think it's important to understand that Ancient Egypt was nto a modern labour economy or a modern state. The claims of slavery to build the pyramids are common because of the bible, but even then the actual biblical description isn't of a society run on slaves like it's usually depicted, but more of a forced relocation and labour because the isrealities were becoming too much of a presense with no alliegence to the Pharaoh, and they weren't used to build the pyramids but to build city infrastructures. Slavery as indentured servitude did exist in egypt, but it wasn't masses of slaves being whipped to death, especially as slaves had codified legal rights.

It does seem that building the pyramids was sort of a make work project for the peseantry, but it should be understood that as a subject of the pharaoh you owed labour to him. It was a corvee system for peasants. So like, it depends on how you define slavery. They weren't chattel slaves in the US or Brazil sense, but as a peasant you couldn't say "no I'm not going to build you a gigantic triangular coffin, my king". Worth noting that in addition to farming, a big role of peasants was maitaining the irrigation system which stretched quite a ways out from the Nile, so public works and construction was already part of their tasks for centuries before the pyramids at Giza were built.

I guess it boils down to whether you feel peasants or serfs were a type of slave or not. They were definitely slave ajacent, but I think slavery caries enough baggage as a term that it sort of obscures the actual reality in societies as wildly different as Egypt was to us.

E; But then also we live in a system where Elon Musk has had whistleblowers arrested and is probably going to force his employees back into his COVID petri dish factories under threat of starvation and financial destitution if they refuse, so maybe we shouldn't be throwing stones.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 4, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

literal clown shoes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Little Death posted:

On the pyramids I think it's important to understand that Ancient Egypt was nto a modern labour economy or a modern state. The claims of slavery to build the pyramids are common because of the bible, but even then the actual biblical description isn't of a society run on slaves like it's usually depicted, but more of a forced relocation and labour because the isrealities were becoming too much of a presense with no alliegence to the Pharaoh, and they weren't used to build the pyramids but to build city infrastructures. Slavery as indentured servitude did exist in egypt, but it wasn't masses of slaves being whipped to death, especially as slaves had codified legal rights.

It does seem that building the pyramids was sort of a make work project for the peseantry, but it should be understood that as a subject of the pharaoh you owed labour to him. It was a corvee system for peasants. So like, it depends on how you define slavery. They weren't chattel slaves in the US or Brazil sense, but as a peasant you couldn't say "no I'm not going to build you a gigantic triangular coffin, my king". Worth noting that in addition to farming, a big role of peasants was maitaining the irrigation system which stretched quite a ways out from the Nile, so public works and construction was already part of their tasks for centuries before the pyramids at Giza were built.

I guess it boils down to whether you feel peasants or serfs were a type of slave or not. They were definitely slave ajacent, but I think slavery caries enough baggage as a term that it sort of obscures the actual reality in societies as wildly different as Egypt was to us.

E; But then also we live in a system where Elon Musk has had whistleblowers arrested and is probably going to force his employees back into his COVID petri dish factories under threat of starvation and financial destitution if they refuse, so maybe we shouldn't be throwing stones.

ooh la la someone’s getting laid in college

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Little Death posted:

nerd

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Have to use all those history courses for something.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I actually think the (contemporary and largely well-intentioned) labeling of all non-free labor throughout history as slavery is also tactically used by :heritage:-types to excuse chattel slavery with the "everyone has used slaves" argument?

:shrug:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

I actually think the (contemporary and largely well-intentioned) labeling of all non-free labor throughout history as slavery is also tactically used by :heritage:-types to excuse chattel slavery with the "everyone has used slaves" argument?

:shrug:

Yes fair point. I just think it's funny when people say the pyramids were a make-work project like the Pharaoh was practicing Keynesian economic theory.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my favorite thing about the giza pyramids is that there's a burger king and a mcdonalds right next to them

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my favorite thing about the giza pyramids is that there's a burger king and a mcdonalds right next to them

Makes sense, they're all temples to things with enough preservatives in them to last thousands of years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

parts of denmark had corvee unil the 1860s

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Makes sense, they're all temples to things with enough preservatives in them to last thousands of years.

and that contain offal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

and that contain offal

:actually: they removed the entrails before mummification

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm at the combination pyramid and burger king

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's like: yes, non-free/semi-free/compelled labor is part of pretty much every society throughout history. But even by these standards New World Chattel Slavery (and more particularly the American form of that system) was an outlier in how horrible it really was?

E: Largely but not exclusively because of the racial and multi-generational nature of that most peculiar of institutions.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 4, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There’s a Starbucks inside Menkaure's burial chamber.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the controversial lenin's tomb chick-fil-a

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
burger pharaoh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

i'm at the combination pyramid and burger king

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Food pyramids

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Elon Musk holding a Big Mac:
"No man could produce this, we simply don't have the technology."

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I took this picture in in 2010 at the pyramids. Meat juxtaposition I thought.

edit I'm bad at phone posting also gonna leave that typo above as is because hehe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Someone replace the pizza hut text with "I want to believe"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im at the combination pizza hut and laopooh post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Little Death posted:

the exodus has little to no actual historical basis fyi

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It's a narrative of political liberation from a regional hegemon (possibly recording the breakdown of empires in the wake of the Sea Peoples), hth?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The old testament makes so much more sense when you realize it's a collection of myths from a post-post-apocalyptic society describing how their pastoral ancestors developed their "modern" society in the mad max but with chariots world of the bronze age collapse.

For example, the tower of Babel is people in another culture centuries later trying to explain what bronze age Babylonian ziggurats were.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I know, but even in the biblical context, the descriptions given aren't of the israelites building the pyramids under the lash like it was plantation chattel slavery. So it's interesting that every depiction I have ever seen of it in American culture is always them building the goddamn pyramids and they are always being whipped like fieldhands.

E:

https://twitter.com/nikolamotor/status/1277620228478779393

I apologize for the derail. I offer this tweet of people copying Elon's schtick to the yospos pharaoh (Jeffrey).

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 4, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm shocked there may have been accounting games going on when Tesla posted their Q2 profit:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

doesnt that all come from the movie the ten commandments?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don't even think the pyramids are mentioned in Genesis? Like, maybe this is conflation with the idea that Joseph used the pyramids to store grain (which is apparently a common folk-belief among American protestants)?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The Egyptian government maintains that the pyramid builders were not slaves. Supposedly the labor mostly came from farmers working in the offseason and they were all paid for their work.

I don't know if this is true or not.

aiui it's tricky because there's also evidence that it was effectively a religious requirement, and the payment was mostly food and board which kinda blurs the lines between willing and unwilling labour - but also it's such an alien (heh) culture that it's tricky to put modern labels on things.

we do know that egypt didn't go in for large-scale slavery until they learned it from the greeks, centuries after the pyramids were built, and even then it was the greek style of bonded labour, where the slaves could earn their freedom, rather than the roman style of chattel slavery where slaves were bought, sold, and bred like livestock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

I don't even think the pyramids are mentioned in Genesis? Like, maybe this is conflation with the idea that Joseph used the pyramids to store grain (which is apparently a common folk-belief among American protestants)?

They are not, what the israelites build are "treasure cities" which people have interpreted as the enormous grain silo complexes the Egyptions did build, which then because of narrative simplification becomes "grain in the pyramids" because the only culturally relevant ruins people remember from Egypt are the pyramids.