Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

First video I've seen taken of the multiplayer in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvnDHpvjndo

The one who recorded this connected to the server from half the world away and there was no rubberbanding or physics wonkiness aside from the water catapulting them. (which may have been due to their failure settings? unsure.) Seems to work pretty well.

It's so pretty! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

... could you actually make a goon airline with fs economy? I don't really know much about civilian simming so I have no idea how the community works. Would be totally down sharing cockpits or just buzzing along some nice folks.

Lord Stimperor posted:

So from their website, it's a client with which you can log your in-game activity and that gives it a bit of fluff, right? Do people work together through FS economy?

You have groups, like the aforementioend Goon Air. I think SoapyTarantula set it up and it's private so I think they need to invite you. Groups can share airplanes, FBOs and money. You can decide if you fly a mission for yourself or for your group. It's not much, but it was mostly fun to see several people's flights in the group log.

It's mainly fun as a randomizer that generates destinations for you and the little extra gamification with the money.

There is also this for the old sims, which is pretty expensive, but has more content. Time will tell if that gets ported to MSFS20.

https://www.justflight.com/product/air-hauler-2

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

I bet the mod/dev team is still insisting on sticking with the FS9 DB.

No poo poo, of course they are. It’s been around since 2006, people own FBOs and have supplies and stuff at “closed” airports. Even if you wanted to try and delete them, what’s fair market compensation? FBOs change in-game value constantly.

Whine about FSE all you want, there’s plenty wrong with it, but the airport db is what it is and isn’t changing for obvious and good reasons.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rincey posted:

No poo poo, of course they are. It’s been around since 2006, people own FBOs and have supplies and stuff at “closed” airports. Even if you wanted to try and delete them, what’s fair market compensation? FBOs change in-game value constantly.

Just average the in-game value over the last couple of weeks (or pick the high point or something), this isn't overly difficult to figure out unless prices are wildly doubling and halving all over the place.

Alternatively, have people specify how they're flying and treat those locations as gone unless you say you're flying an old package that still has them. Then people can sell up their old assets and buy in places that actually still exist on their own schedule.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I ventured into the beta forums to report a few UI glitches and it confirmed my belief that

1) all internet forums except this one are flaming garbage
2) flight simmers who are only into airliners are the worst people

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

I ventured into the beta forums to report a few UI glitches and it confirmed my belief that

Very Fast Bus Simulator 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

Lol now go to the IL2 or war thunder forums and ask people why they have Nazi avatars

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Then go into the Elite Dangerous forums and post the word "accessibility" anywhere.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Could anyone help me understand why I would use VOR instead of GPS to land? Do they do the same thing?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Womyn Capote posted:

Could anyone help me understand why I would use VOR instead of GPS to land? Do they do the same thing?

Same reason military uses TACAN, and the same reason planes have systems like the inertial navigation system.

They have to have a form of navigation that doesn’t rely on something that is disrupted by bad weather, or a system of satellites that require a vast network, or a group of active human operators.

Airliners and military planes can even receive positional and other info through network datalinks.

However, all of that ties together into redundancy. If all else fails, the INS should show where you are, and the radio beacons should transmit even if the last human is dead and nukes are flying.

It often can mean that the secondary system, like GPS, is an easier tool for the job, however. But if the plane isn’t rated to use a GPS as its primary navigation, it isn’t legally allowed to be part of your flight plan, and it may only be used for cross referencing, if that makes sense. Not all planes with GPS are certified to use it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there a more detailed map available rather than the VFR thing? Would be nice to have names of places and stuff like that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also, has anyone seen any of the press/beta vids that emphasize the live traffic traffic? I'd love to see Atlanta or Newark or somewhere when its busy and see if it actually has planes coming down somewhere on the order of minutes or if it still has that weird sterile feel of FSX/X-Plane where even busy airports have like 5 planes an hour.

FWIW I don't expect the ATC AI to be able to handle a true 2 min spacing, but still.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'd also like the live traffic to be two-way. So if I park my Cessna on the JFK runway it will halt real world traffic.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’d take more FPS over a bunch of planes in the sky running incorrect departures or arrivals around, personally.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I feel lonely if I sit alone in my room and fly a pretend plane all by myself and I don't have a little company by seeing other pretend planes in the sky around me pretending to be actual proper planes doing live plane things, even if they aren't properly done and eat some FPS :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Womyn Capote posted:

VOR isn't designed for landing. The VOR network forms a series of airways across the USA that you can follow to your destination by tracking the beacons. It doesn't provide vertical guidance, and the information you get is relative to the VOR station, not the runway, so it can't be used for the final approach. Once you arrive you just land visually, or to fly an instrument approach you would switch from your VOR navigation to the airport's ILS transmitters and use those to get the plane on the ground.

Modern airplanes can fly a GPS approach if their equipment is accurate enough and if the airport has one defined in the GPS' database. This is called an RNAV approach and they are common these days. The big advantage is that theoretically any airport can have an RNAV approach created for it -- you don't need to install and continuously recalibrate the ground transmitters.

The reason to use VOR/ILS over GPS is if it's 1985 and civilian GPS doesn't exist, or if your plane was built in that era and it doesn't have the accurate receiver required to fly the RNAV approach. The VOR stations are gradually being taken out of service as GPS gets increasingly cheaper and more common.

e: it is worth noting that neither ILS nor RNAV necessarily mean an "autoland" functionality. By default, both just provide the pilot with the cues needed to fly the plane onto the runway in bad visibility. It is possible to link the guidance system to the autopilot and fly the approach hands-off, but that's a feature of the airplane, not the navigation system.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 4, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I got my PPL 10 years ago I was taught about VOR and used it once for fun but everything else was GPS (or pilotage).

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Fly TEC routes across socal /A in a fast plane, it'll get you sweating quick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like VOR and I try to use it as much as possible on cross-country flights cause I think it's cool to fly by tracking radio beacons on the ground.

Frumpy DMV Lady
Jun 6, 2005
I think Womyn Capote is asking about the difference between a VOR approach and a GPS approach. They are both non-precision approaches designed to get you from the en-route/terminal environment into a position to safely land. Do to reasons, a VOR isn't incredibly accurate and therefore VOR based approaches will usually have higher minimums, which tells you the required visibility and how low you can safely descend. They will also usually require some form of DME or a second VOR receiver to identify various crossing restrictions.

A GPS receiver shows your position with more accuracy than a VOR, which lets the feds design approaches with lower minimums, which is always useful. If your GPS is WAAS enabled, you can often descend to the standard ILS minimums of 200 ft. above the runway. GPS approaches typically don't require any additional equipment like a separate DME receiver.

If I'm given a choice between the two, I'm asking for the GPS approach. We will occasionally ask for the VOR approach if we're in visual conditions, just for the practice of doing one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
VORTAC or bust.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

I'd also like the live traffic to be two-way. So if I park my Cessna on the JFK runway it will halt real world traffic.

This video is a few years old, and I have no idea if ATC actually operates this way or if this is realistically possible, but theoretically you can just send ADS-B out signals. About 41 minutes in he starts discussing coupling SDR ADS-B systems with flight sims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXv1j3GbgLk

edit: my TrackIR just came in. Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

FORUMS USER 1135 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 4, 2020

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone tried flying into the hurricane in MSFS2020 yet?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also, has anyone seen any of the press/beta vids that emphasize the live traffic traffic? I'd love to see Atlanta or Newark or somewhere when its busy and see if it actually has planes coming down somewhere on the order of minutes or if it still has that weird sterile feel of FSX/X-Plane where even busy airports have like 5 planes an hour.

FWIW I don't expect the ATC AI to be able to handle a true 2 min spacing, but still.

I would like to find more out about it. I only saw this one mediocre video which talked about it, but considering it is over a month old now being somewhat short on specifics is understandable.
https://youtu.be/vOzCDvGPH8A

Anyone know if the in game traffic will have appropriate airline liveries or how they will be displayed? I presume they wont due to licensing, but would be pretty drat cool if they did.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I would like to find more out about it. I only saw this one mediocre video which talked about it, but considering it is over a month old now being somewhat short on specifics is understandable.
https://youtu.be/vOzCDvGPH8A

Anyone know if the in game traffic will have appropriate airline liveries or how they will be displayed? I presume they wont due to licensing, but would be pretty drat cool if they did.

I think I remember someone on Reddit trying to hunt for livery glimpses in the trailer and they had found a few - so maybe?

e:

JayKay posted:

Has anyone tried flying into the hurricane in MSFS2020 yet?

I was thinking about this too. Not trying to wish a hurricane into existence but if we get a well-formed fall one after launch I'd love to see how its modeled.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
There is a hurricane caun right now in North carolina, just made landfall today.

Gonna fly in when I get home, will have to turn off stress damage I expect.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

There is a hurricane caun right now in North carolina, just made landfall today.

Right, but by now it seems to be sort of losing form - I was picking more at one that has a nice, distinct eyewall/eye because I'd love to see if their weather can nail that.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I don't imagine it will accurately model hurricanes. Will likely just crank the wind up to maximum.

Would love to be wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No, Bing will solve the Navier-Stokes equations for you including turbulence.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, Bing will solve the Navier-Stokes equations for you including turbulence.

See, here I was thinking that it just uses mystical AI to say "eyewall = yes" and then plop a premade hurricane eye model in the right spot, but apparently there's science involved. :pseudo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

The beta only has one livery for each plane, and no real-world airlines are represented -- it's all either generic colors or manufacturer logos. I would expect that's not representative and the full version will at least have a couple of color options for each. I agree that it would be cool to have the correct liveries loaded if you have them installed. But like 90% of the jets around here are Southwest and the game doesn't even have a 737 so how is that going to work??

The live traffic does work though. I was flying around SFO the other day, tuned into their tower frequency, and the ATC popped up and cleared a plane to land. It had a specific tail number, so out of curiosity I looked it up on adsb-exchange and sure enough that same tail number was a business jet on approach to SFO right at that moment. ATC reported it as Generic 722MD (or w/e), so presumably if they don't have the specific aircraft type they'll just pick something close enough.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 4, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anime Store Adventure posted:

See, here I was thinking that it just uses mystical AI to say "eyewall = yes" and then plop a premade hurricane eye model in the right spot, but apparently there's science involved. :pseudo:

(That was a joke, I hope?!?!)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

(That was a joke, I hope?!?!)

Yes - ... Kinda? No, I don't honestly think that's the approach, but with something as large as a hurricane they could probably get enough discrete datapoints to get somewhat close?

I don't have any knowledge about what it would realistically take to sim a hurricane, nor do I obviously have any insight into exactly how the weather gets fed. Even further, "realistically" probably means something a lot different to me than someone else.

If I had to describe what I'd like to see from a layman's or "50000ft" view - If they get high winds/rain of roughly what's being forecast, moving in a cyclone, and a decently formed "eye" - that would be cool. Maybe this is harder when its out at sea, but I assume when its near land they could get enough discrete weather data to have something like this happen?

Again, for someone who understands a hurricane at a deeper level, they'll probably tell me, "That is wildly inaccurate" or alternatively, the weather system isn't built for an 'edge' case like a hurricane.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The joke is that the Navier-Stokes equations are notoriously hard - they're not proven to have an analytical solution, and anything to do with creating special-case solutions that involve turbulence (which includes, significantly, most serious weather and especially hurricanes) is particularly difficult.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The joke is that the Navier-Stokes equations are notoriously hard - they're not proven to have an analytical solution, and anything to do with creating special-case solutions that involve turbulence (which includes, significantly, most serious weather and especially hurricanes) is particularly difficult.

That makes sense - and I'd expect any meteorologist to look at almost any solution in Flight Sim to say "this isn't even close" no matter what they do - I just wonder if they could generate something that could trick someone like me, an engineer that failed fluid mechanics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like if they do model hurricanes, it'd be enough to just have some generic hurricane models for each category that are used automatically, instead of some procedurally generated nonsense.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
The real question is whether or not the VATSIM crew is getting back together to go overload some random tower controllers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aero737 posted:

The real question is whether or not the VATSIM crew is getting back together to go overload some random tower controllers.

I will do this. We should all get together in a big swarm of CT supralights and go gently caress up the pattern at a big bravo airport somewhere.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I will do this. We should all get together in a big swarm of CT supralights and go gently caress up the pattern at a big bravo airport somewhere.

I hope you love 25 mile finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Hell no, dont turn it off, where is the fun in that? :v: