Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

This was a most enjoyable watch.

13:30 :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

who will stop this villain slinging lethal amounts of fudge to vulnerable goons

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lungboy posted:

I started feeling nauseous just before bed which kicked off my intermittent insomnia and I still feel weird and slightly off now. How strange.

Wtf, this was me and my wife too

Must be aliens. Or the full moon

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I enjoy the fudge updates (fudgates? Fudgdates?) It’s great to see someone in here making a success of themselves at this time. I lost my job at the start of lockdown and I’m been spending my time trying to get a brewery up and running so I know how hard it can be to launch something!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Brexit Negotiations going well then.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1290605814139498498?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, they are hilariously aware of other parts of the country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1DnFdJrww

The Celtic whistle in the background is what makes this a surrealist masterpiece.

That's... actually one of the more accurate attempts at a non-Irish traveller accent I've ever heard.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Camrath posted:

Close runner up is Malted Milk Ball (that one never really caught people's imagination)

This is devastating to me, someone who loves malted milk balls. Guess I'll have to suffice by buying some fudge and malteasers and smashing them together in my mouth as my last act before I become sugar incarnate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao gently caress

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Red Oktober posted:

I enjoy the fudge updates (fudgates? Fudgdates?) It’s great to see someone in here making a success of themselves at this time. I lost my job at the start of lockdown and I’m been spending my time trying to get a brewery up and running so I know how hard it can be to launch something!

Tbh the one and only reason that my business is anywhere close to a success is the kindness and generosity of the people in this community. Not just in terms of buying my sweet sweet crackfudge, but in terms of the emotional support and enthuasiasm that people here give so freely.

Also I would 100% buy beer made by a UKMT dude(/dudette); are you operational yet?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I think your fudging those numbers a bit....

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Overminty posted:

This is devastating to me, someone who loves malted milk balls. Guess I'll have to suffice by buying some fudge and malteasers and smashing them together in my mouth as my last act before I become sugar incarnate.

See I love them too, but the fudge did feel like it was missing something...

Wait a loving second.

I think I have an idea. To the experimenting stove!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

if only there were some way to have a good trade and travel relationship with the EU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Camrath posted:

See I love them too, but the fudge did feel like it was missing something...

Wait a loving second.

I think I have an idea. To the experimenting stove!

Do not correct me, but I just imagined a Adam west batman style secret firepole that you slid down Free saying that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's... actually one of the more accurate attempts at a non-Irish traveller accent I've ever heard.
It sort of reminds me of when you hear Americans do 'Scottish' accents in video games or animation (usually dwarves). You can usually hear parts that come from Glasgow and Edinburgh (and whichever one sounds almost american in parts), but when mashed together it sounds like an incongruent mess because the VO person is drawing from Shrek, David Tennant and Mrs Doubtfire.

The best advice I ever read about accents is to imitate a person from that area, not the accent. Kevin Bridges, Frankie Boyle and Billy Connoly are all Glaswegian but all have very different intonations and I can see how it would confuse the gently caress out of people trying to work out a consistent mouth feel.

That clip though is just a loving mess, and I can't help but feel that anyone with an actual history of Geordie accents took one look at the script and thought 'I'm going to be murdered if I do this.'

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if only there were some way to have a good trade and travel relationship with the EU

There is, but there is no way to rid ourselves of 52% of the population without a epic 10 film journey to find the infinity stones....

I really keep hoping that people will wake up one day and realize what is going on, but it never seems to happen. I guess I'll know that day comes when the torches and pitchforks come out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It sort of reminds me of when you hear Americans do 'Scottish' accents in video games or animation (usually dwarves). You can usually hear parts that come from Glasgow and Edinburgh (and whichever one sounds almost american in parts), but when mashed together it sounds like an incongruent mess because the VO person is drawing from Shrek, David Tennant and Mrs Doubtfire.

The best advice I ever read about accents is to imitate a person from that area, not the accent. Kevin Bridges, Frankie Boyle and Billy Connoly are all Glaswegian but all have very different intonations and I can see how it would confuse the gently caress out of people trying to work out a consistent mouth feel.

That clip though is just a loving mess, and I can't help but feel that anyone with an actual history of Geordie accents took one look at the script and thought 'I'm going to be murdered if I do this.'

Yeah, you can hear a few bits of Geordie dialect in there but I can categorically say even your old school 90 year old ex miners on Tyneside do not speak like that. It sounds like they've started with the 'lol regional accent is incomprehensible' joke and then butchered an actual accent to fit that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grey Hunter posted:

There is, but there is no way to rid ourselves of 52% of the population without a epic 10 film journey to find the infinity stones....

I really keep hoping that people will wake up one day and realize what is going on, but it never seems to happen. I guess I'll know that day comes when the torches and pitchforks come out.

Be careful what you wish for, if we ever come to the pitchfork stage I'm not optimistic about what direction they'll be pointing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Grey Hunter posted:

Dunno about that, play our cards right and the UK COVID response will help out

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Camrath posted:

Tbh the one and only reason that my business is anywhere close to a success is the kindness and generosity of the people in this community. Not just in terms of buying my sweet sweet crackfudge, but in terms of the emotional support and enthuasiasm that people here give so freely.

Also I would 100% buy beer made by a UKMT dude(/dudette); are you operational yet?

It's not operational yet - it's going to be a co-op in London, where people can come to brew their own beer. Looking to launch a crowdfund soon once I have some keystone backers in place.

Looking at my logo design, I've realised how much of an impact the UKMT has had on me over the previous years as well...

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Anyone know what the 'loan book' being referred to here is? Is this the EFSI/EFSD?

A ctrl+f of the WA says we're liable for:

"financial operations that were:
(a) decided upon by the European Parliament and the Council or by the European Commission before the date of entry in force of this Agreement, " ?

which doesn't seem that unreasonable? Or is it one of those agreement to have future agreements or summat that ropes us in in perpetuity.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Red Oktober posted:

It's not operational yet - it's going to be a co-op in London, where people can come to brew their own beer. Looking to launch a crowdfund soon once I have some keystone backers in place.

Looking at my logo design, I've realised how much of an impact the UKMT has had on me over the previous years as well...

Awesome idea! My best buddy works for (iirc) Voldens brewery and mentioned that there was a scheme a bit like this floating around there, so it’s obviously got legs..

Damnit, interesting things happening in London just as I make plans to leave..

Also your logo rules.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao. If only a group of tories lobbied to delay signing the WA to give them an actual chance to read it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rustybear posted:

Anyone know what the 'loan book' being referred to here is? Is this the EFSI/EFSD?

A ctrl+f of the WA says we're liable for:

"financial operations that were:
(a) decided upon by the European Parliament and the Council or by the European Commission before the date of entry in force of this Agreement, " ?

which doesn't seem that unreasonable? Or is it one of those agreement to have future agreements or summat that ropes us in in perpetuity.

From my understanding the EU is seeking back money for services/loans that the UK had availed of but hadn't played back prior to 2019 when the British Parliament ratified leaving.

IDS and the Tories I imagine thought that when they Brexited they would stop sending money to the EU and could walk away from all debts they owed with no consequences.
Amazingly enough while that might be how the rich normally do business, the EU as a while is not cool with forgoing billions of Euro so the UK can live it's dream of moving out of it's mansion to live in a van down by the river, learning to play the guitar and become a millionaire pop star.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

Sorry to bang on about this @MPIainDS but you said "buried in the fine print, unnoticed by many" yesterday
and yet at the debate you pointed out how everyone had had ample time to scrutinise it and that it must be enacted straight away...

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1290614153888104448?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately the point is to reinforce the narrative to his grunting hog voters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Reminded of playing Bloodborne, meeting Eileen the Crow and being surprised to hear a Lancashire accent in a videogame

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/zainabhijazi97/status/1290669240173965313?s=20

What the gently caress happened in Beirut?

Warning - unbelievably loud

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Reminded of playing Bloodborne, meeting Eileen the Crow and being surprised to hear a Lancashire accent in a videogame

Soulsborne games often have a quite interesting scattershot of UK voices.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Looks like a chemical factory of some sort cooking off? Something is on fire then it goes up in a big way.

[e]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53656220

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Speaking as someone who's done a little homebrewing in the past (mostly cider though), Tell Me More. Which part of London?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Great logo.
If you make something that isn't a lager or IPA, and ship to Glasgow, I'll for sure buy some at some point.

Need to get my homebrew kit back out now the risk of high ambient temps for fermenting has passed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to say it doesn't look real but I think it does actually disturb the buildings a moment before it hits so it might be..

The large cloud is an effect of an extremely large explosion forcing condensation out of the air, but it's like, hundreds of tonnes of TNT equivalent to make one of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/zainabhijazi97/status/1290669240173965313?s=20

What the gently caress happened in Beirut?

Warning - unbelievably loud

Lebanon's been in meltdown for a while now, but I never expected it to get this literal. :stare:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/GinoRaidy/status/1290671286327353344

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

Speaking as someone who's done a little homebrewing in the past (mostly cider though), Tell Me More. Which part of London?

I'm currently looking at a site in Bermondsey, in no small part because as that's where a lot of the breweries already are, that's where a lot of the potential members will be. I do quite a bit of homebrewing myself, but to be honest it's tricky in London in a small flat - the kit takes up a load of space, it's messy and to get good rates on ingredients (especially hops) you need to buy in bulk. So the idea is to solve all of that by creating whats essentially a co-working space, but filled with top of the range brewing kit, instead of printers and desks.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, you can hear a few bits of Geordie dialect in there but I can categorically say even your old school 90 year old ex miners on Tyneside do not speak like that. It sounds like they've started with the 'lol regional accent is incomprehensible' joke and then butchered an actual accent to fit that.

The presence of Nathon Fallon in that reminds me of the deliberately-made-up future accent (sort of a Kiwi/cockney hybrid) they tried out for Firefly. Not an experiment that has been repeated By any other sci-fi show.

Presumably, in the future, people will be speaking all kind of strange language and dialect at least as different from today as Shakespeare’s English. But probably best to assume someone is translating.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How accurate is the slang in that compared to the accent? Is it reasonable if exaggerated words badly pronounced or nonsense words badly pronounced?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hey Camrath my wife has put in a request for the milk chocolate fudge to make a reappearance soon. I'm not a big chocolate fan myself but I thought your dark choc was pretty outstanding, like a good rich brownie... But no, for her it's milk or nothing. Any chance of it reappearing next month?

I gave your business card and a sample of each of last month's selection to my neighbour btw. Hope they put in an order sometime!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

I'm currently looking at a site in Bermondsey, in no small part because as that's where a lot of the breweries already are, that's where a lot of the potential members will be. I do quite a bit of homebrewing myself, but to be honest it's tricky in London in a small flat - the kit takes up a load of space, it's messy and to get good rates on ingredients (especially hops) you need to buy in bulk. So the idea is to solve all of that by creating whats essentially a co-working space, but filled with top of the range brewing kit, instead of printers and desks.

This is a really cool idea, although I imagine Bermondsey's going to be a really tough market to crack. It'd be good to see some new blood in that area though.

I'm not sure how similar it is to what you're planning but there's a similar-ish place in Hackney called Brew Club in case you want to check out the competition. (They don't focus much on their own brewing and a lot of their time spent is on brewing classes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

radmonger posted:

The presence of Nathon Fallon in that reminds me of the deliberately-made-up future accent (sort of a Kiwi/cockney hybrid) they tried out for Firefly. Not an experiment that has been repeated By any other sci-fi show.

Presumably, in the future, people will be speaking all kind of strange language and dialect at least as different from today as Shakespeare’s English. But probably best to assume someone is translating.

The Sci-Fi show The Expanse has a group of people called Belters, who live on the parts of the Solar System outside Earth and Mars. They all have an accent that is part South Afrikan, part Dutch, part Creole and part Kiwi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HexX3Oxso