Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xzzy posted:

something horrible like snakes or spiders will flood out of the earpiece if I pick it up

This probably is a thing which exists in Australia or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

xzzy posted:

I am scared of my phone, something horrible like snakes or spiders will flood out of the earpiece if I pick it up.

So I put a ridiculous amount of effort into never touching my phone at work.

The company I work for has a hate for automated phone answering. Our industry is supposed to have the image of great customer service, so the CEO/COO wants a person to answer.

So at our corp office, several of us have to play the job of answering the phone when the main person is unable to.

I honestly don't mind it. 85% of our inbound calls are from our store locations anyways.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bob Morales posted:

Access....so that's Microsoft right?

As far as I can tell the ArcGIS plugin they want to buy is essentially a massive ball of VBA scripts. Esri has dropped support for this in later versions of ArcGIS, telling people to use Python instead. But when an organisation has accumulated years (if not decades) of scripts, plugins, and tools of extremely variable quality that's not all replaced overnight or even in just a couple of years. Especially not if the organisation in question is a government agency that had its funding slashed repeatedly.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
This phone chat makes me realize that I haven't used my office phone in years. Weird.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Internet Explorer posted:

People who use speaker when they are only on the call by themselves in that room are the loving worse and should be fired into the sun. Use a headset you monsters. The worst part is I've known way too many people in IT who do that.

Once the confinement hit in March/April I learned to my horror that BVMW (she does like BA and PM and systems architecture or something?) is one of these. And she has loving airpods (or whatever the apple earbuds are called).

:wtf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Insight are such a garbage supplier. They have about four different helpdesk systems / support addresses, and every time I change licensing quantities for our Office 365 service the portal fucks up and the order gets stuck, then an email bounces around for a day before someone who can't be contacted directly fixes the problem.

Sick of it, looking for someone else now. In the UK so this will most likely be Softcat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Do you work at my old job

bonus points if they run them on CentOS servers that haven't been patched in years
Ubuntu, but yes.

I at least managed to upgrade the OS and everything else on it, but I had to go wash my hands for ten minutes after installing PHP5 on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

Ubuntu, but yes.

I at least managed to upgrade the OS and everything else on it, but I had to go wash my hands for ten minutes after installing PHP5 on it.

I threw everything in docker containers so they could have their random rear end choice of Apache or nginx for each app plus their screwed up config files

They’d fix bugs by setting php memory limit to 1GB, poo poo like that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Why does my management always wait for my work from home days to ding me on tickets when I obviously can't do anything about it today?

Ticket wasn't even assigned correctly until last week, so the user is already pissed and when they call in about the delay I get the heat because I have the hot potato. I was working on other stuff since last week, I must have missed it, I'm sorry :shrug:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm convinced that like 40% of the incoming calls I deal with are some rear end in a top hat on speaker phone in an environment that they have no business being on speaker phone on.

Like I get that stuff is non-optimal in the time of Covid, but gently caress. I've had people sound like they were calling from aluminum tubes, they echo so bad (and I can hear myself when I speak, which also echoes).

40%? I'd kill for only 40%!

My favorite is the calls from a loading dock, standing next to the cardboard bailer/trash compactor or while actively unloading a truck.

Second has to be our overseas contractors, who always seem to be in a room with about 20 other people (who are also on speakerphone). Added bonus for soft phone on a super laggy network connection!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Marketing strikes again!

They have a SaaS vendor for their customer surveys that they started engaging with a few months ago. The geniuses that run our marketing department wanted the email to come from something like @wecare.company.com. Fine, I set up the sub domain and spf/dmarc records in DNS so they won’t get rejected.

Fast forward to today, with an urgent ticket of course, “We need shared mailbox with that @wecare.company.com so customers can reply to that email, we are sending out surveys starting next week.” gently caress you, no, I’m not doing everything needed to configure dns/mx, proofpoint, office365, UPN suffixes in the domain, etc just so you can have a pretty princess email address. Set the reply-to mailbox@company.com and call it a day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My manager's uncle died, he apparently had an accounting firm in the old days...he said last night they threw out a ton of old computers. Including some hard drives I've never seen before, bigger than 3.5 but smaller than 5.25, a bunch of old full-height laptop drives...he just finished degaussing the drives that would fit in the degausser. :(

Some retro computing enthusiasts would have liked those.

"BUT PEOPLES DATA"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think I’ve reached the point where I just want to wipe this Aruba setup and start fresh. So far I’ve had two separate people with the VAR we work with stumped, and now I’ve got an Aruba TAC engineer mystified.

Goddamn do I hate this product.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I think I’ve reached the point where I just want to wipe this Aruba setup and start fresh. So far I’ve had two separate people with the VAR we work with stumped, and now I’ve got an Aruba TAC engineer mystified.

Goddamn do I hate this product.
What do you have?

We have airwave, clearpass, two mobility masters, two mobility controllers, and around 100 AP’s

I just upgraded it all to the latest software but HA isn’t xonfigured so I had to do a downtime...

It’s pretty hands off for the most part

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I really wish our junior helpdesk had more critical thinking skills. We’re a smallish team, I’m the most senior, there’s one other sysadmin who I work very well with, and then 3-4 juniors who do helpdesk and the odd project or audit or what have you.

It probably doesn’t help we’re hiring people even though 2/3 interviewers voted no. But it’s kinda sad when even the most competent one of the lot is asking poo poo like “does this switch fan error have anything to do with our networking consultant in BC?” (I literally don’t think they read the error message) or not even googling “gmail SMTP server settings” before asking me what to do.

I get teased sometimes in our standup for talking too much (“essays” is the verbiage), but I wouldn’t have to if the rest of my team could just do things correctly every once in awhile!

There’s just a critical lack of understanding how technology works. Even when I teach them things it feels like they’re just memorizing what I say instead of trying to understand why something works, not just how something works.

Our service delivery has just plummeted as a result, which is bad news bears for everyone on the team, myself included.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The Iron Rose posted:

I really wish our junior helpdesk had more critical thinking skills. We’re a smallish team, I’m the most senior, there’s one other sysadmin who I work very well with, and then 3-4 juniors who do helpdesk and the odd project or audit or what have you.

It probably doesn’t help we’re hiring people even though 2/3 interviewers voted no. But it’s kinda sad when even the most competent one of the lot is asking poo poo like “does this switch fan error have anything to do with our networking consultant in BC?” (I literally don’t think they read the error message) or not even googling “gmail SMTP server settings” before asking me what to do.

I get teased sometimes in our standup for talking too much (“essays” is the verbiage), but I wouldn’t have to if the rest of my team could just do things correctly every once in awhile!

There’s just a critical lack of understanding how technology works. Even when I teach them things it feels like they’re just memorizing what I say instead of trying to understand why something works, not just how something works.

Our service delivery has just plummeted as a result, which is bad news bears for everyone on the team, myself included.

We have a similar issue with our help desk. I and some others have been promoted up and over the supervisor because he's basically got no drive to actually improve himself or his position. Basically we would do all the work while he played around on his phone or browsed the internet. He does like to complain about still being on the help desk though, while others are being promoted around him.

During the last promotion out of the help desk he replaced the last tech with someone with "a lot of experience" rather than an entry level person that could learn and grow in the position. The problem is the new tech 's experience is more software dev related than IT support related and the supervisor really doesn't know how to deal with common issues anymore because he would always delegate everything.

So now us former help desk techs are constantly breaking off from our current duties to help them with stuff that's already well covered in documentation. Not to mention simple things that can be fixed with a little googling or critical thinking. Its been pointed out that we've been spending a bunch of time helping the help desk that we should be spending elsewhere but nothing has really been done to rectify things. Pretty tempting to just let things explode at this point and deal with the fallout afterward.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

There's two kinds of helpdesk staff:

1. The competent ones who get bored of/stifled with tedious chores
2. The incompetent ones who don't care, as long as the check clears.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dragonshardz posted:

There's two kinds of helpdesk staff:

1. The competent ones who get bored of/stifled with tedious chores
2. The incompetent ones who don't care, as long as the check clears.

Nobody really wants a good helpdesk. The good employees are never going to stay because its a chunk of our industry that we consistently undervalue.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I used to complain about one of them awhile back for being peak goon, but you know what, he was a good guy at heart, more competent and open to criticism, and more importantly so open to learning new things. Also better at his job than I gave him credit for apparently! He's been on a LoA for awhile and I hope he comes back.

poo poo at politics though.

Anyways the right answer is to just keep trying to train these folks and help them be better. It's not my job to manage them, the best thing to do is just keep engaging and keep showing them the right way to think about problems.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

Nobody really wants a good helpdesk. The good employees are never going to stay because its a chunk of our industry that we consistently undervalue.

Find one that married his high school sweetheart. Those guys hate change and aren't going anywhere.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Insight are such a garbage supplier.

On the plus side the vendor events they have (had?) used to have great buffet lunches though the last one I went to the food had gone right downhill.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

What do you have?

We have airwave, clearpass, two mobility masters, two mobility controllers, and around 100 AP’s

I just upgraded it all to the latest software but HA isn’t xonfigured so I had to do a downtime...

It’s pretty hands off for the most part

Right now a fresh Mobility Master on a VM, a new physical controller. We have an existing physical controller, and a physical Clearpass server. 180 APs live on the existing setup, just a single on the new one.

Its generally been pretty hands off, but last year we had to start looking at updating to 8.x. I went through everything TAC said to do, but something in the conversion went wrong. I managed to get this limping along for months. We finally got the approval to get new hardware and licenses last month.
I think the issue is with the new controller and its config, since the VAR ported that from production controller to this one. But, I can't find where its being stupid at. Its why I wanted to start fresh.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Just a question. Is it common sense to use work laptop to work on source code? I was working from home one day and used my own desktop (already had tools installed for personal service and such), committed to Git, asked about it just in case because this company seems more concerned about security, then was told that it is recommended I use work laptop even for work from home.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Aesis posted:

Just a question. Is it common sense to use work laptop to work on source code? I was working from home one day and used my own desktop (already had tools installed for personal service and such), committed to Git, asked about it just in case because this company seems more concerned about security, then was told that it is recommended I use work laptop even for work from home.

If it's your employer's/client's code then yes that's preferable, but usually not required. It's always preferable to use a work machine for work even if the personal one can do the same thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah don't put IP that belongs to your employer on your private devices. Both for liability ("dude stole our code!") and because your employer should be paying for the equipment you need to perform your duties.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

In addition to these excellent points, it also prevents you accidentally sharing personal stuff - even a stray cut and paste of an URL has the potential for embarassment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you have a work laptop you regularly use for WfH you should definitely request a docking station and anything else you'd need to set up a proper, comfortable (ergonomic) home office.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I occasionally think about the bit in Bad Boys 2 when Martin Lawrence accidentally shoots a conveniently small and squibbable part of Will Smith's porche's dash, and when Will Smith asks Joey Pants for reimbursement he says "The department doesn't cover personal property, that's why we drive police cars".

Don't be like Mike. Drive your police car.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Your suggestion of our regression is an obsession with the transgression of the fact that I am actually a poetry major and not a software developer.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Moo the cow posted:

In addition to these excellent points, it also prevents you accidentally sharing personal stuff - even a stray cut and paste of an URL has the potential for embarassment.

Nothing like accidentally pasting https://www.cumdrunkdumsptersluts.com/login into slack then hitting enter like a dipshit.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nothing like accidentally pasting https://www.cumdrunkdumsptersluts.com/login into slack then hitting enter like a dipshit.

What? Don't be ....oh

accidentally. Yes, accidentally would be bad.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

We used to have just the greatest helpdesk and I cant begin to describe how wonderful it was, and how effective it made us as an organization. That was a result of us paying really well for the position (starting at $65k going up to $75k with good benefits), and empowering them to make decisions on their own without having to stick to a rigid script or troubleshooting template.

Unfortunately the great ones either retired or left for greener pastures and the replacements have not been up to snuff. It was so nice having a good helpdesk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Execs. You're either giving them too much information, or not enough.

"Don't send these emails to Mrs. CEO she gets enough of them as it is!"

"Mrs. CEO didn't get an update on ______, she should be getting information about things!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CEO's are just lord of the rings wizards, unless you can literally read their minds don't bother trying to predict what they want because you'll always guess wrong.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Intermittent phone problems. Yay.

Apparently some of our DID's re-routed to a voicemailbox...but everything is fine now.

CEO's assistant wants answers!

I opened a ticket with our phone provider.

She's out for blood this morning. It all started when the CEO's ID badge expired over the weekend so she couldn't get in any of the doors...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

She's out for blood this morning. It all started when the CEO's ID badge expired over the weekend so she couldn't get in any of the doors...

I'd forward that one to security, just to see what happens.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can't get fired if the CEO can't get into the building!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We used to have just the greatest helpdesk and I cant begin to describe how wonderful it was, and how effective it made us as an organization. That was a result of us paying really well for the position (starting at $65k going up to $75k with good benefits), and empowering them to make decisions on their own without having to stick to a rigid script or troubleshooting template.

Unfortunately the great ones either retired or left for greener pastures and the replacements have not been up to snuff. It was so nice having a good helpdesk.

ffffff are you still hiring help desk for that much?

3 years of help desk with networking and some sysadmin with CCNA and i only make 38k

Also since my company just let go 280 people on the warehouse side of things, i should really update my resume and start passing that terrible thing around.

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 10, 2020

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

wargames posted:

3 years of help desk with networking and some sysadmin with CCNA and i only make 38k

Also since my company just let go 280 people on the warehouse side of things, i should really update my resume and start passing that terrible thing around.

38K is a big enough sign to update your resume.

I have three go lives at the beginning of september. gently caress my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

wargames posted:

You are getting screwed for sure.