Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You joke but I bet the others in the group smell absolutely loving awful.

Aerith included.

Tifa is just being passive agressive. "Boy, I could certainly use a shower, because WE'VE been doing a lot of battling and boy SOME OF US ARE GETTING A LITTLE RIPE, so I'M going to get clean."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's just another game cramming in political agenda with the showering in order to appeal to the crowds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I apologize for starting this derail but I also was not exaggerating, like two thirds of encounters with Tifa ended with her talking about showering on my playthrough. Possibly because I played as her a lot because she is more fun than Cloud and Barret is better for utility.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

I apologize for starting this derail but I also was not exaggerating, like two thirds of encounters with Tifa ended with her talking about showering on my playthrough. Possibly because I played as her a lot because she is more fun than Cloud and Barret is better for utility.

Wait, you don't have to have Cloud in your party all the time?

huh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean he does have to be present, but you don't have to actually play as him. In the equipment/button assign menu you can change your party 'leader' to someone other than Cloud and the game will automatically swap to them when you enter combat. I can only think of one time the game forced me to be Cloud when other characters were present, and it was a plot thing so I can forgive it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

e: wrong thread so mu favorite little thing in the game ori 2 is that bug zone legitimately made me uncomfortable in a way no other game has. I’ve never been bothered by things like the spiders in system shock 2. But bug zone in ori? poo poo was awful in a good way. The entire place is just made out of bugs, the environmental spikes are actually just piles of spiky bugs that start buzzing their wings when you get close, the terrain is all bug parts, oh and the area is dark so you can’t see what’s ahead of you. I loving hated bug zone. It was great.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Aug 4, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Incidentally which version of Cloud did Square put in the game: the super-angsty version from everything after Advent Children or the one from the original game that still had issues but was also a dork?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

christmas boots posted:

Incidentally which version of Cloud did Square put in the game: the super-angsty version from everything after Advent Children or the one from the original game that still had issues but was also a dork?

The goon.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ah, the best one. Perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People were pretty surprised that S-E remembered Cloud's actual characterisation from the original game.

Also Tifa probably just wants the hunky damaged bishonen to hit the coed showers. Maybe just to see what the gently caress he does with his hair.

It's kinda weird how smartphones as a video game menu has taken off so quickly, I first remember seeing it in Saint's Row The Third, but it does fit. Mostly since that day I realise Google Maps meant my phone was basically a Pip-Boy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Games in which bathing is a mechanic, go

You have to shower in Death Stranding to produce certain types of grenades

One of the side stories in What Remains of Edith Finch has you playing as a baby who drowns in a bathtub

In Deus Ex Invisible War the shower causes damage for whatever reason, so you can use this to kill a certain NPC ahead of schedule, then later on the game breaks when it needs that NPC alive for a cutscene :bravo:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

christmas boots posted:

Ah, the best one. Perfect.

Aeris is also her rear end in a top hat punk self and not demure quiet waifs, it owns

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

One of the side stories in What Remains of Edith Finch has you playing as a baby who drowns in a bathtub

In Deus Ex Invisible War the shower causes damage for whatever reason, so you can use this to kill a certain NPC ahead of schedule, then later on the game breaks when it needs that NPC alive for a cutscene :bravo:

Speaking of Deus Ex, you never really get a good look at Jensen's lower body in HR because he's always wearing the tactical outfit and trench coat. At the beginning of Mankind Divided you get a chance to take a shower and though it's all foggy you can see that his entire lower body basically doesn't look human at all and it made me :smith:

Reminds me of when Metal Gear Rising reveals that between MGS 4 and Revengeance, Raiden basically got the entire rest of his body replaced by cybernetics to the point where the only human parts of him are the top of his face, one eye, and his brain and spine. They say Snake had a hard life but at least he didn't end up a brain in a human shaped jar.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Aug 4, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

brain in a human-shaped jar, fighting along his dog-shaped robot buddy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

Deadly Premonition, MGSV and RDR2.

You can take a shower in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door during the Peach interludes but it's not really a required thing so I dunno if that counts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

Heavy Rain

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of Deus Ex, you never really get a good look at Jensen's lower body in HR because he's always wearing the tactical outfit and trench coat. At the beginning of Mankind Divided you get a chance to take a shower and though it's all foggy you can see that his entire lower body basically doesn't look human at all and it made me :smith:

Reminds me of when Metal Gear Rising reveals that between MGS 4 and Revengeance, Raiden basically got the entire rest of his body replaced by cybernetics to the point where the only human parts of him are the top of his face, one eye, and his brain and spine. They say Snake had a hard life but at least he didn't end up a brain in a human shaped jar.

Raiden was like that even during the events of MGS4. The Patriots really hosed him up good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

There are probably hundreds of Japanese games with hot spring mechanics, particularly if they're set in Japan. Mother 3 had a cool twist on this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think a lot of the Tales series has hot springs, as well as unlockable fan service costumes for visiting them. I know Vesperia does, and I think Berseria has their hidden dungeon linked to them? It's been a while since I played that one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Moon Monster posted:

There are probably hundreds of Japanese games with hot spring mechanics, particularly if they're set in Japan. Mother 3 had a cool twist on this.

I was surprised and delighted by Ghost of Tsushima unexpectedly throwing in bareass naked scenes when you find pools to bathe/meditate in, as one of the findable stat upgrade location types.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
sims

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If you find a hot spring on a mission in Nioh you can bathe for a full heal/status restore and you get some health regen for a while. IIRC it's once per outing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

You can also use hot springs.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Hot springs in like literally all of the harvest moon series and stardew valley to restore stamina

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

And in Toukiden for buffs before going out to beat up on giant monsters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Hot springs in like literally all of the harvest moon series and stardew valley to restore stamina

In the first Harvest Moon days wouldn't end automatically, you'd reach nighttime then it'd stay that way until you went to sleep, so an exploit you could do would be to do all town-related stuff during the day (plus throwing all your fresh products into the shipping bin). Then at night you could do all the farm work while taking constant trips to the hot springs to get your stamina back.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does Tifa ask if anyone can scrub her back while she showers?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
You can bathe in the hotels in RDR2, and it boosts regen on your stamina. But I think the boost is better if you really scrub the dirt off.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pillars of Eternity 2 has a bathhouse where "renting a room" is a soak in the bath and counts as a night's rest.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Only in my fanfics

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 has a bathhouse where "renting a room" is a soak in the bath and counts as a night's rest.

You can also tell an old man his dick looks weird, but I don't think that gets you any stat boosts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crowetron posted:

You can also tell an old man his dick looks weird

In real life or in the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some benefits can't be numerically quantified

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been getting into FF recently, and one of my favorite things in FFXV is the rain and how it interacts with your hair. Sunshine? Massive anime hairdos all around. But the moment it starts pouring, your party has their hair fall flat while complaining that it's gonna take a lot of product to fix this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

In real life or in the game

Where ever you want, man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

No, because

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I've been getting into FF recently, and one of my favorite things in FFXV is the rain and how it interacts with your hair. Sunshine? Massive anime hairdos all around. But the moment it starts pouring, your party has their hair fall flat while complaining that it's gonna take a lot of product to fix this.

There is an item which will let you retain a perfect coif

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm only one day into playing Paper Mario: The Origami King, but I have to give serious props to them knowing exactly how far to lean into horror with the concept of origami as some sort of eldritch, alien force in this world. They strike a really good balance, going hard enough to make you keenly aware of just how scary it can be, without dwelling on it to the point that it detracts from the comedy and actually becomes unsettling.

Also, I never thought that I'd play a Mario game with a reference to Resident Evil, but here we are. When you get back into Toad Town after being thrown out of Peach's castle, the first paper mache Goomba you see does an exact recreation of the head turn the first zombie does in the first Resident Evil.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's pretty great. The Paper Marios seem like they often have some sort of weird dark undercurrent in parts of them compared to other Mario games, parts of Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario come to mind in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For my own praise, I think Ghost of Tsushima has finally unseated Resident Evil 4 et al's "double-tap to kick open" as the most satisfying door animation. I got tired of using the prompt to slowly slide the door open and shut every time I go in a building, then I realized you can just have Jin attack any of them to leave a convenient open hole in the side of the building. Friends, foes, cowering hostages I'm rescuing, I'm shouting and slicing my way into buildings from now on.