Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

So far Alyx is amazing beyond anything I've ever seen, but man it gets choppy in some areas. At least I think thats what it is? I haven't seen frame drops in VR before but I'm guessing thats whats going on when The character animations get choppy and so does free movement? Usually happens when a lot of enemies are on screen or a bunch of animation is going on. Is there anything I can do to reduce this without affecting the experience too much? The in game settings say I'm running it on low but the NVidia app has a bunch of stuff bumped up so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, if you were going to pick one of the Rift store sales game would you get

Lies Beneath
Robo Recall
Red Matter
The climb

Or something else?

Robo Recall and Red Matter are decent, but before those I would pick Lone Echo, Shadow Point and Stormland.

---

I'm wondering when the next Beat Saber update will drop. They are due for one already, given their past release schedule. I still haven't BMBF'd my current install because for the last month I have been thinking the new update will drop soon lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone played this? It released on Viveport
https://store.steampowered.com/app/985260/The_Morrigan/

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I found it to be really clunky. Didn't feel any desire to stick with it after a few hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My cheap halo headset from Aliexpress finally showed up. It's surprisingly comfortable compared to DAS which is really what I was hoping for. Not having the device rest of my face solves a lot of my comfort problems, at least from my initial five minute tryout. Only downside is that it's really easy for the headset to shift around and go out of focus. I'll have to see what I can do about that. Also need to solve the audio issue now -- without the DAS I'm back to out-of-headset audio which is suboptimal, but I don't really want to go with separate earbuds or headphones, so I'm going to see if I can find something I can clip to the halo such as that which I had with the DAS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple of things that kind of seem questionable about the Rift S is the use of all of this spongy foam. Especially the on the face. It looks like it could get nasty and worn out pretty quick and appears to be glued on. You'd think they would make it either cleanable or easily replaceable or both. Also the cable seems way more rigid than it should be and seems to tangle on itself way too easily. Definitely kind of worried about it kinking. I'm guessing there are third party solutions for both but it still seems like kind of silly design.

Also I'm having some issue where I have to plug and unplug it like 3 times every time I boot it up, or ir says either the USB or optical port is not plugged it. It always works fine after that but it's weird that I have to do that in the first place and I'm not sure why it's happening.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Was going to pop in and warn against Doom VFR for Rift S users as it didn't have proper support when I nabbed it in the steam sale last year.

However there was an update to fix that last November so maybe I should give it another go.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Was going to pop in and warn against Doom VFR for Rift S users as it didn't have proper support when I nabbed it in the steam sale last year.

However there was an update to fix that last November so maybe I should give it another go.

well let me know

i've already decided not to get it based on everyone saying it sucks

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

So far Alyx is amazing beyond anything I've ever seen, but man it gets choppy in some areas. At least I think thats what it is? I haven't seen frame drops in VR before but I'm guessing thats whats going on when The character animations get choppy and so does free movement? Usually happens when a lot of enemies are on screen or a bunch of animation is going on. Is there anything I can do to reduce this without affecting the experience too much? The in game settings say I'm running it on low but the NVidia app has a bunch of stuff bumped up so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, if you were going to pick one of the Rift store sales game would you get

Lies Beneath
Robo Recall
Red Matter
The climb

Or something else?

I have the exact same experience as you on Alyx with my Oculus Quest. I've checked every setting and on both Steam home and in game and I just can't seem to get it to feel as smooth as I would like. Game is still incredible though and I still find myself incredibly immersed but yeah, not sure what could cause the choppiness, maybe other folks have some other options to check.

As for your other games, Robo Recall has been one of my favorites but also think you should look into Lone Echo as it's incredibly immersive and has some of the best movement mechanics around.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm wondering when the next Beat Saber update will drop. They are due for one already, given their past release schedule. I still haven't BMBF'd my current install because for the last month I have been thinking the new update will drop soon lol.

Just patch your current install. Community is the one adding features anyways and the OST crap they keep releasing is garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath are my top Oculus store picks I'm just holding off on them Until I finish Alyx and some of the other stuff I bought. The other ones I listed because they are all on sale right now for around $20

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think Robo Recall is definitely worth the $20

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

I think Robo Recall is definitely worth the $20

Easily. More so if you start there and dont play other poo poo first.

I mean, It def still holds up but man that was such an amazing early experience for a game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

veni veni veni posted:

Couple of things that kind of seem questionable about the Rift S is the use of all of this spongy foam. Especially the on the face. It looks like it could get nasty and worn out pretty quick and appears to be glued on. You'd think they would make it either cleanable or easily replaceable or both. Also the cable seems way more rigid than it should be and seems to tangle on itself way too easily. Definitely kind of worried about it kinking. I'm guessing there are third party solutions for both but it still seems like kind of silly design.

You can go to https://vrcover.com and get a cover for the foam. Looks like they have a medical grade silicon cover and also their regular cloth covers.

There might be better options now, I haven't shopped around for vr facial interfaces in years.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 4, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brightman posted:

You can go to vrcover.com and get a cover for the foam. Looks like they have a medical grade silicon cover and then they're regular cloth covers.

There might be better options now, I haven't shopped around for vr facial interfaces in years.

Yeah this is what I did. Just be aware that the shipping takes forever.

It’s nice quality stuff though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

MarcusSA posted:

Their stuff is on Amazon too if you want it quickly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

Depends which warehouse things come from. If you get unlucky and it has to come from overseas, yeah 5-10 days sometimes.

They do have USA warehouses now though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do the things that cover the foam actually stay on pretty well? They look like they'd fall off.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Do the things that cover the foam actually stay on pretty well? They look like they'd fall off.

Kinda. Like. They do, but yeah. They can slide around a little sometimes. They stay where they need to but they just get soaked anyways.

Just get the fake leather replacements tho.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Depends which warehouse things come from. If you get unlucky and it has to come from overseas, yeah 5-10 days sometimes.

They do have USA warehouses now though.

Ah ok I must have just been unlucky. My stuff came from Thailand.

It’s nice stuff though and worth the wait.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok I must have just been unlucky. My stuff came from Thailand.

It’s nice stuff though and worth the wait.

Support is really great too. Had a couple minor issues over the years and they just fire off more product without much fuss. Super nice people.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of glowing words about Payday 2
That sounds super-hype but is there some kind of alternate control scheme I should be using? The basic one feels really unintuitive and weird like having the grips bound to moving around, which I assume comes from the difference between Rift and Index controllers.

Edit2: Is there a way to play left-handed mode where I have the guns in my left-hand and can use the right joystick to move and strafe? Because it seems like there's some weird control conflict that won't let me do that.

Mr Phillby posted:

I tried it yesterday and I think it might need a little work still because I held down forward on the left stick and my character model wandered off while my viewpoint stayed behind and watched it, it was very funny.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 4, 2020

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
Hey VR thread! I just got my first HMD (Oculus Quest), and I'm super pumped. :dance:
I fiddled around with it for a few hours last night and hit a strange problem. When I first fired it up I jumped in to the Quest native demo of SuperHot that was pre-installed. Awesome. Then I figured out the Oculus Link and excitedly fired up the StreamVR full version I got cheap in the recent Humble sale...
It was great until I tried to throw something for the first time, and the shuriken just fell limply to the ground as soon as I released the throw. I figured it might be some frames of latency or something and tried releasing earlier and earlier, but I simply could not get it to work. It's like the controllers weren't translating momentum to throws. It basically renders that version unplayable. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

wezmon posted:

Hey VR thread! I just got my first HMD (Oculus Quest), and I'm super pumped. :dance:
I fiddled around with it for a few hours last night and hit a strange problem. When I first fired it up I jumped in to the Quest native demo of SuperHot that was pre-installed. Awesome. Then I figured out the Oculus Link and excitedly fired up the StreamVR full version I got cheap in the recent Humble sale...
It was great until I tried to throw something for the first time, and the shuriken just fell limply to the ground as soon as I released the throw. I figured it might be some frames of latency or something and tried releasing earlier and earlier, but I simply could not get it to work. It's like the controllers weren't translating momentum to throws. It basically renders that version unplayable. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've had the same problem when playing the PSVR version, this is a game quirk. I think you need to release the object before you stop your hand movement, but it's been a while since I played it and it's all muscle memory at this moment.

Don't worry, once you figure it out, you'll be playing the Definitive Edition of SUPERHOT.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Robo recalls movement system seems real bad.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's pretty intuitive (at least it was to me as my first vr game). One thumb for range and the other for direction, boom teleport. I'm a smooth locomotion person but out of all the teleport options, it didn't seem bad at all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

veni veni veni posted:

It's very limited. The game is designed around it, so in practice it works well for what they're going for, but personally I'm just not a huge fan of what they're going for.

On the other hand, you have a game like Sairento that has a crazyass neat movement system, though its VR interactivity (like, "doing stuff with your hands") isn't as good as Robo Recall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

It's pretty intuitive (at least it was to me as my first vr game). One thumb for range and the other for direction, boom teleport. I'm a smooth locomotion person but out of all the teleport options, it didn't seem bad at all.

That’s not how it works though. Maybe there’s an option for that I’ll have to check. But both thumb sticks do the same thing you aim to teleport and then have to rotate the stick to choose a direction before teleporting, which is a very weird way to control a Vr game imo. Especially when you have 2 sticks.

I prefer free movement but don’t mind teleporting if it’s done right, which is what you described but that’s not what I’m seeing in RR

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

veni veni veni posted:

That’s not how it works though. Maybe there’s an option for that I’ll have to check. But both thumb sticks do the same thing you aim to teleport and then have to rotate the stick to choose a direction before teleporting, which is a very weird way to control a Vr game imo. Especially when you have 2 sticks.

I prefer free movement but don’t mind teleporting if it’s done right, which is what you described but that’s not what I’m seeing in RR

Something to keep in mind with those older VR titles is that they were primarily designed on the assumption that the player was sitting in a chair and facing a single direction 100% of the time, as this is the configuration around which the Rift was originally designed (roomscale/360 support was a later thing, and I believe Oculus once noted that the vast majority of Rift users play this way, anyway). So you run into stuff like that in some of those games, where the controls make sense in that context but feel super dated now (a whopping 3-4 years later).

That's not to say you have to like Robo Recall's movement (I don't), but that at least gives some context as to why it is set up that way. I remember reading about a mod that added smooth locomotion and turning, so you might google around for that. Dunno if it would break the AI, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

It's very limited. The game is designed around it, so in practice it works well for what they're going for, but personally I'm just not a huge fan of what they're going for.

On the other hand, you have a game like Sairento that has a crazyass neat movement system, though its VR interactivity (like, "doing stuff with your hands") isn't as good as Robo Recall.

To be fair, part of Sairento's design is intended for VRcades, so there's presumably some effort to keep it simple on that front for what are gonna be mostly first-time players.

Shine posted:

Something to keep in mind with those older VR titles is that they were primarily designed on the assumption that the player was sitting in a chair and facing a single direction 100% of the time, as this is the configuration around which the Rift was originally designed (roomscale/360 support was a later thing, and I believe Oculus once noted that the vast majority of Rift users play this way, anyway). So you run into stuff like that in some of those games, where the controls make sense in that context but feel super dated now (a whopping 3-4 years later).

Not quite; It's because the Vive popped into existence rather than the original Oculus spec, because standing upright in a room while the world slides around would surely cause motion sickness in everyone vs the equivalent of taking a car ride (seated and forward-facing). As you say otherwise, it wasn't until after a few years of hundreds of people using the Vive and the Rift with Touch controllers without issue revealed motion-sickness wasn't the big looming specter over VR everyone initially thought it was.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

You're right, I misremembered it. Hold the stick in one direction to choose the location, then rotate to choose the direction. Either way I got used to it fairly fast but I can understand others having a hard time initially.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I got my new GPU and oculus link worked perfectly so that was nice. I tried Skyrim VR since it was in the humble bundle sale and dang I don't know if it's just me but it's super blurry. I'm having problems with stuff being a bit blurry in general, but this was just extreme.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turn off adaptive supersampling in Skyrim's graphics settings and then supersample. The upper limit is very low when using adaptive and the TAA doesn't help, but the game runs well enough that it's able to run at a fairly high resolution.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Personally, I liked it, and still like how the teleport works. The games really built well around it. It did take getting used to, but once you do it makes total sense i found myself not having to turn quite a bit once my brain all clicked on how it worked. I sorta wish more games did it that way.

Can totally see it being weird though. Robo Recall was my "first" teleport shooter game thing. It was free, baked in, and literally the first thing I fired up after first contact. Probably slight bias there, but I do honestly wish more teleport games did it that way. Bend stick, point direction, let go of stick. Lets you setup some sick teleport combos for shootin dudes.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I wish more games did teleport in the same way, "tilt control stick to initiate teleport location, then rotate to choose direction, then let go" because it seems pretty intuitive to me... I just hated it with the vive wands because I'm making big sweeping circles around the touchpad and it would always lose track of the direction. I bought it two nights ago though to burn through it on the index controllers, and it's an excellent shooter to introduce people to VR. My sister's boyfriend loved it, even with vive wands

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Alyx works this way for me, I hold the stick forward to show the teleport marker, and it rotates when I tile the side.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is is normal that I have to unplug and plug my rift s back in every time I boot up? Sometimes 2-3 times. It always says that either the USB or optical is not detected until I redo it. It doesn't seem like an uncommon problem after googling it but I'd sure like to know why it's happening and how to stop it.

At least it works fine once it connects but it's a pain and does not seem normal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Is is normal that I have to unplug and plug my rift s back in every time I boot up? Sometimes 2-3 times. It always says that either the USB or optical is not detected until I redo it. It doesn't seem like an uncommon problem after googling it but I'd sure like to know why it's happening and how to stop it.

At least it works fine once it connects but it's a pain and does not seem normal.

Theres like a billion factors but without trying to get into each one, yea, its not uncommon.

USB length can be a thing. Even on the default cable. If you're using front USB or DP port extensions that can be it.
USB power saving, Can also be a thing.
Multiple montiors can be a thing.
Display drivers.
plugins for steamvr can be an issue.
theres more, holy crap it can be anything :)

I Personally unplug my headsets when not in use. Some websites, and some unity/unreal games like to fire up steamvr if its plugged in.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
After 14 weeks, my Index finally arrived.

So, the Quest is good for what it is, and I won't poo poo on it (other than Facebook itself being a plague), but goddamn. Those extra ~30 degrees of FOV really help a ton, and the screen clarity fixed pretty much all graphical complaints I had with VR. People complain about black parts of the screen not being dark enough on the Index, and I can see what they mean, but that's completely outweighed for me by the other visual improvements.

Also the comfort of the headset is not to be underestimated - I was able to wear it for several hours without remembering it was there, contrasted with the Quest which becomes uncomfortable after an hour or so of use. I'm aware the Quest has methods to mitigate the discomfort, but the less fiddling I have to do the happier I am. Speaking of comfort, the controllers are great too. Call me a lazy rear end in a top hat, but my favorite feature is that you don't have to actively hold them, the straps let them cling to your hand with no effort on your part, which adds to immersion for me.

I was also expecting the setup to be a pain in the rear end but it was remarkably simple and you don't even need to drill holes in your walls (though for long term usage I probably still will). Even the wires aren't that big of a problem since the Index headset wire is so long and it hangs off the back of the headset rather than the side on the Quest Link cable. If you rig some way for the wire to suspend from the ceiling instead of drag behind you it's even better.

The only weird thing is the base stations stay on unless you go into power settings and set them to disable when exiting SteamVR, and even then one of mine mysteriously woke back up in the middle of the night. Also (and this isn't on the Index) VR controls are all over the loving place! I know it's still new and they're just figuring all of this out, but having every other game require a completely different method of control is taking some getting used to.

Thank you for reading my brain dump, and if you didn't read it then hey, have a nice day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could spend an hour in an index just to see what it's like. it's funny hearing you talk about the visuals because I just came from PSVR and the Rift S feels like night and day, and my reaction to the rift is pretty much what you are having with the Index lol. I am sitting here like "finally VR is clear enough to be good" It could be way better though. But I am used to anything more than 20 feet away being an amorphous blob. I'll probably go for an index or equivalent in a year or two.

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres like a billion factors but without trying to get into each one, yea, its not uncommon.

USB length can be a thing. Even on the default cable. If you're using front USB or DP port extensions that can be it.
USB power saving, Can also be a thing.
Multiple montiors can be a thing.
Display drivers.
plugins for steamvr can be an issue.
theres more, holy crap it can be anything :)

I Personally unplug my headsets when not in use. Some websites, and some unity/unreal games like to fire up steamvr if its plugged in.

Ah. Yeah I've also just started to unplug it after use. It's annoying but not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

HoboTech posted:

After 14 weeks, my Index finally arrived.

So, the Quest is good for what it is, and I won't poo poo on it (other than Facebook itself being a plague), but goddamn. Those extra ~30 degrees of FOV really help a ton, and the screen clarity fixed pretty much all graphical complaints I had with VR. People complain about black parts of the screen not being dark enough on the Index, and I can see what they mean, but that's completely outweighed for me by the other visual improvements.

Also the comfort of the headset is not to be underestimated - I was able to wear it for several hours without remembering it was there, contrasted with the Quest which becomes uncomfortable after an hour or so of use. I'm aware the Quest has methods to mitigate the discomfort, but the less fiddling I have to do the happier I am. Speaking of comfort, the controllers are great too. Call me a lazy rear end in a top hat, but my favorite feature is that you don't have to actively hold them, the straps let them cling to your hand with no effort on your part, which adds to immersion for me.

I was also expecting the setup to be a pain in the rear end but it was remarkably simple and you don't even need to drill holes in your walls (though for long term usage I probably still will). Even the wires aren't that big of a problem since the Index headset wire is so long and it hangs off the back of the headset rather than the side on the Quest Link cable. If you rig some way for the wire to suspend from the ceiling instead of drag behind you it's even better.

The only weird thing is the base stations stay on unless you go into power settings and set them to disable when exiting SteamVR, and even then one of mine mysteriously woke back up in the middle of the night. Also (and this isn't on the Index) VR controls are all over the loving place! I know it's still new and they're just figuring all of this out, but having every other game require a completely different method of control is taking some getting used to.

Thank you for reading my brain dump, and if you didn't read it then hey, have a nice day.

The base stations should automatically turn on/off when you enter/exit SteamVR. I forgot but you might have to check a box to allow bluetooth or something first or something in power management whatever the setting it's done through SteamVR and not your computer